Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Roll call: Pathfinder the RPG.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2009 :  23:19:05  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just got my copy today. Impressive, most impressive.

Sound off if you have your copy, or when you get your copy.

We really need a Dancin smilie!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  01:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My FLGS manager is set to call me once he gets his delivered.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  01:23:03  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paizo has just informed me that my copy has shipped (as of Monday).

Edit: I wasn't sure if I'd be getting a copy until after the second print run; I placed my order on what turned out to be the same day that Paizo announced the sellout of the first print run. I guess they held enough copies back to get one to me.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 13 Aug 2009 01:37:01
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  02:27:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope to get mine tomorrow after I arrive at the dealer's hall. :) Better get one, going to be pissed if not!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  03:40:22  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NDA

Bugger!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  03:55:17  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two days after Ashe posted the Amazon link, I had placed my order, so I'm really hoping to get it soon! Gods above, I'm so excited to see Pathfinder! I think I'll have a Realms shaping event where my players change over from some of the 3E/3.5 stuff to Pathfinder. I think that they'd like that. Maybe... Halaster sends out his call, doesn't die, and they join with him to stop the Spellplague. And yes, Blackstaff is still there too. I and my players love him!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  14:55:18  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gonna be a few days before I get my on PDF, though my FLGS has it for me to pick up soon. Woohoo!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2009 :  19:48:51  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to pick mine up yesterday after work, but the shipment to my FLGS hadn't arrived yet. My wife is going to pick it up for me today, hopefully.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2009 :  19:52:36  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got my .pdf on my laptop at home. It's going to be a long weekend of reading.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2009 :  23:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay! My wife picked mine up. Only 1.5 hours till I get to hold it in my own two hands.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2009 :  04:13:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Outstanding!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  03:40:10  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nabbed my copy Thursday, driving across the metro to the FLGS. I'm most impressed, and can say that my regular Realms game (which was running on Pathfinder Beta) is almost certainly going to be running in PRPG when it resumes at the end of the month.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  19:18:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did manage to pick up my copy but I had other books, so I sent them all home by UPS and so I can't really look at it until tomorrow. Didn't have time while at Gencon anyhow but it's a huge freaking book!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  20:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll receive mine at my FLGS on wednesday!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  21:23:45  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had my copy since James Jacobs put it in my hands at Gen Con on Friday. Very very impressive book, as I told all the Paizo folks involved. Loving me the Arcane Archer.....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  02:34:27  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked one up at Gen Con and got Sean K. Reynolds to sign. I've known him for YEARS but have never met him in person until now ;)

It's a HUGE book; full of info. Congrats to Paizo.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  11:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got mine today. After flipping throuhg the PDF I can now thumb through the real one. Great book!

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  21:02:49  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy has pretty much not left my side since I bought it. Not that I have been able to read it all that much; but I always have it with me, just in case I find some time to read it here or there.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  05:49:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got my copy this morning before leaving for work! Of course, I didn't open it right away... or I wouldn't have made it to work. I have tomorrow off, so I'll be spending the day reading...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 19 Aug 2009 05:49:46
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  09:25:24  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw some pod-casts (?) from Kurt Wiegler* (?) and Games Geeks on YouTube yesterday he gave the new Pathfinder Players and DM's Guide a good review. Going off the enthusiasm here as well, I've added it to my Wunschzettel on Amazon.de. I may have to get some Tipex and erase the donkey ears on the elves though, they're getting to ridiculous WoW proportions.

I haven't heard a bad word about Pathfinder yet, then again I don't visit the WotC message boards. I'm sure it'll have some things where house rules are needed. But it looks fun and exciting. I'm in the States in September, so I'll try and get a chance for a browse, perhaps.

* - What a strange accent, nearly every word was pronounced differently Paizo = Pay-zee-oh (which sounds like a Japanese metal band)

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  09:48:56  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the first Pathfinder book I won't buy, cause this is just 3e rules with a different artwork. The sorcerer looked the most interesting, and pathfinder chronicler prc.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  16:24:10  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

This is the first Pathfinder book I won't buy, cause this is just 3e rules with a different artwork. The sorcerer looked the most interesting, and pathfinder chronicler prc.
It worked well for me because I never ended up buying the 3.5 PH and DMG (instead I used www.d20SRD.org). It is nice to have the new book with updated rules (grapple, bull rush, and all those other complex rules are really simple now, and the Sorcerer is gorgeous) and artwork I prefer to the 3.x books (except for the 3.x Realms artwork, I thought that it was superior to the 3.x Core artwork). If you can find a copy, I would suggest checking it out even if you have the 3.5 PH and DMG. Though built upon the 3.5 framework, it really is a different animal.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:

Edited by - Hawkins on 19 Aug 2009 16:25:46
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  16:33:48  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More than the artwork has changed... but to each his own. I would have bought this one first if it had been ready, but I've had Pathfinder Chronicles (the HC) since it came out and have started picking up the Chronicles supplements. I'm not a subscriber; events with Dragon and Dungeon have left a bad taste in my mouth with regard to subscriptions of any sort. I'm up early on my day off, in the hopes that the third and final box of my order from Paizo arrives today... which it probably won't, just because I'm waiting for it.

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  16:41:11  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is the first Pathfinder book I won't buy, cause this is just 3e rules with a different artwork.

To be fair, the last time there was a new issue of the 3rd Edn rules they (WotC in this case) didn't bother changing the artwork.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  17:10:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

*snip*
I haven't heard a bad word about Pathfinder yet, then again I don't visit the WotC message boards.

That shouldn't be a problem for a while, anyway. In a move that boggles the business side of my mind, the WoTC boards are down for migration.

I can't really think of a worse time, in the wake of GenCon, when D&D players oughts to be as excited as possible, and the release of Pathfinder, when one would think you'd want the 4E message getting out there with its evangelists, to voluntarily take down your boards.

For a week. At minimum.

Wow, that's some unfortunate timing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  18:19:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked that question at Enworld and got flamed for it.

Why after Gencon, and not before Gencon. Gencon Wizards announced Dark Sun 2010. The Dark Sun Forum Explodes with activity, only to go down for maybe the rest of the month. I really do wonder about wizards sometimes.

My Gleemax TNG (The Next Generation) remark may have caused the flaming though.

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 19 Aug 2009 18:21:03
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  18:41:55  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

*snip*
I haven't heard a bad word about Pathfinder yet, then again I don't visit the WotC message boards.

That shouldn't be a problem for a while, anyway. In a move that boggles the business side of my mind, the WoTC boards are down for migration.

I can't really think of a worse time, in the wake of GenCon, when D&D players oughts to be as excited as possible, and the release of Pathfinder, when one would think you'd want the 4E message getting out there with its evangelists, to voluntarily take down your boards.

For a week. At minimum.

Not much that I can add to this really.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  01:44:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So for those who have it, let me ask you...

Are there are specific lore sections in the tome? I'm only asking because I've a tight budget this month. Thus, purchasing a rules-only book will likely have to wait until next month. But if there's sections of PF-lore inside, then I might be able to make an exception and purchase it today.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  03:01:41  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No lore whatsoever in the book. At least none that I've seen. (Which, IMO, is a good thing.)
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  05:25:48  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In all regards the Core Rule Book is like 3.5 PHB and DMG. It includes the Golarion deities just like the PHB included the Greyhawk ones to illustrate the cleric, and where the DMG featured the Red Wizard (as edition specific PRC), we have now the Pathfinder Chronicler. The PFRPG is setting neutral.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  15:59:56  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, it is just a rule book.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000