Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Place of Lore in the Brave New Realms...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  22:33:12  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the RPGA Realmslore I will not ever consider cannon.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  04:01:00  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

2) Any kind of alternate timeline that received any special status here would constitute standing against WotC as a website. Now only is that just asking for trouble, it's also going against our oft-stated desire to remain edition neutral.

As Wooly pointed out, this proposal is not really applicable for a site like Candlekeep. Nor should it be.

There's no problem in presenting your own alternate timeline, of course. But we'll always remain open to content for both the official and any unofficial timelines. Any shift from that position could create legal ramifications for Candlekeep. And with the directives of the Fan Site policy now becoming apparent, we need to work towards keeping in place a strategy that ensures this community's working within the confines of what is allowed with respect to the official Realms.

Before I reply to the above points, let me say that I'm impressed with the thoughtful debate I've generated on this topic. Since waking up on the morning of August 10 feeling much more well-adjusted toward the 4E Realms, if for no other reason than it's what we've been given to work with, I've found myself much more inspired. I'm not saying I'm going to run out and start up or join a canon 4E Realms campaign or anything, but it's freed up my mental energies to be more creative with my Realms... and ideas from other scribes here have provided the seeds for my new plans.

Now, to my response to both Wooly and Sage: I'm not advocating putting together anything that would receive any more special status than a scroll of its own for interested scribes to post ideas and comments. This scroll would be clearly marked (ideally in bold and red) "(NON-CANON)", and would not be otherwise treated any differently from any other non-canon scenarios that have been presented in these forums. I'm just looking for a place where scribes can contribute their ideas for the Realms. Again, this would not be given any special status by CK, and would just be a forum for presentation of what those dissatisfied with the published Realms 4.0 would have liked to see, in such a way as to (hopefully) hammer out something that these scribes can use in their own campaigns as they see fit.

Hopefully this clears up my intent, as long-winded as it is.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 13 Aug 2009 04:03:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  04:56:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Now, to my response to both Wooly and Sage: I'm not advocating putting together anything that would receive any more special status than a scroll of its own for interested scribes to post ideas and comments. This scroll would be clearly marked (ideally in bold and red) "(NON-CANON)", and would not be otherwise treated any differently from any other non-canon scenarios that have been presented in these forums. I'm just looking for a place where scribes can contribute their ideas for the Realms. Again, this would not be given any special status by CK, and would just be a forum for presentation of what those dissatisfied with the published Realms 4.0 would have liked to see, in such a way as to (hopefully) hammer out something that these scribes can use in their own campaigns as they see fit.

Hopefully this clears up my intent, as long-winded as it is.

Fair enough. If you require any help in putting such a scroll together, please contact me via PM.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2009 :  03:00:10  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Fair enough. If you require any help in putting such a scroll together, please contact me via PM.

Thanks, Sage. I'm still assembling my initial outline, so it'll probably be a few days at least before I'm ready to set things up. Officially, I work part-time, but I have 40 hours this week (M-F) thanks to people being on vacation, so I'm a bit busy for putting lore together ATM, and tonight is game night at my domicile, so I'm about to sign off for the day.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000