Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 2009 Origins Awards
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2009 :  04:45:32  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi:

Thanks to all the Realms fans at Origins who voted for Worlds of Dungeons & Dragons in the fiction category, and to all the writers and artists who made the book so great. And special thanks to Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubb for their work on the "Elminster at the Magefair" adaptation.

The full list of winners can be found here: http://www.critical-hits.com/2009/06/27/origins-awards-2009/

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2009 :  07:12:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the win!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  01:21:07  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many scribes here would benefit a lot from discovering the game that won the Role-Playing Games category : Mouseguard by Luke Crane (creator of The Burning Wheel).

Edited by - Skeptic on 30 Jun 2009 01:21:20
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  01:31:57  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking at that at the shop the other day (and here I plug my FLGS, The Rusty Scabbard, "Lexington's Legendary Gaming Story). What a beautifully designed book!

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Many scribes here would benefit a lot from discovering the game that won the Role-Playing Games category : Mouseguard by Luke Crane (creator of The Burning Wheel).

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  02:46:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh.
Mr. Lowder, Ed and Jeff both take great delight in trying to trace back into the old Charles Roberts Awards days, how many FRACTIONS of Callies they've won, as opposed to "flat out" wins and Hall of Fame Callies (Ed has one of the latter and I THINK two of the former, and I've lost track of the Grubb fractions).
I believe Brian Thomsen used to gleefully keep track, and phone them up after each ORIGINS to teasingly remind them of their current totals (or at least he did in his calls to Ed).
So for the Hobby Games: the 100 Best, I'm thinking Ed and Jeff each won 1/102nd of a Callie (awarding the same fraction to you and to the publisher, as well as the other contributing writers). Am I figuring this right? And if so, what does a 102nd of a Callie look like? The end of her most outthrust elbow? (I hesitate to suggest any part of her bodice, fofr fear of giving Ed encouragement. )
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  03:49:38  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Both the RPG and the comic upon which it is based are fantastic. Well worth tracking down.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  03:58:57  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh.
Mr. Lowder, Ed and Jeff both take great delight in trying to trace back into the old Charles Roberts Awards days, how many FRACTIONS of Callies they've won, as opposed to "flat out" wins and Hall of Fame Callies (Ed has one of the latter and I THINK two of the former, and I've lost track of the Grubb fractions).

Yes, indeed. Every product that wins is a group win, and some more than others--like Hobby Games: The 100 Best and Worlds of D&D. I just consider myself fortunate to keep finding myself in the right group.

As for the Hall of Fame--yes, Ed was inducted. I provided the initial nomination, in fact, as I did with Hall of Famers Bob Salvatore, Margaret Weis, and Tracy Hickman. Jeff certainly belongs on that list, too--something I've also mentioned to the powers that be over at the Academy.

And I have a very clear idea what parts of the various Callie statues here belong to Mr. Greenwood. I'll leave it at that.

Cheers,
Jim
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  18:56:37  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesLowder

quote:

Both the RPG and the comic upon which it is based are fantastic. Well worth tracking down.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Very true -- I'm now eagerly waiting for the second volume ('Winter 1152'). BTW, Isn't Mouse Guard RPG based on the same mechanics as BW?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  19:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and congratulations, James -- I enjoyed 'Hobby Games: The 100 Best' a lot, and I think my library's collection will need this one, as well!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  20:11:09  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion
Very true -- I'm now eagerly waiting for the second volume ('Winter 1152'). BTW, Isn't Mouse Guard RPG based on the same mechanics as BW?

I, my wife, and 11-year-old have all read the first volume and look forward to the second, too. Great stuff.

Yes, Luke Crane created a simplified version of the Burning Wheel system as the basis for the RPG.

Cheers,
Jim
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  05:25:07  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesLowder

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion
BTW, Isn't Mouse Guard RPG based on the same mechanics as BW?

Yes, Luke Crane created a simplified version of the Burning Wheel system as the basis for the RPG.

It also share with Luke Crane's Burning Empire a much more structured play (often known as "scene framing") than BW.
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  11:17:15  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It also share with Luke Crane's Burning Empire a much more structured play (often known as "scene framing") than BW.

Indeed. The system is very friendly to casual players and younger kids, in keeping with the Mouseguard license.

Cheers,
Jim
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  23:54:40  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congats on winning..."Mouseguard" as a RPG sounds interesting. I liked the comic, when I read it...might be able to use it to slip the RPG thing past my "Stuck-in-the-dark-ages-of-the-80s"-siblings and introduce my niece & nephews to roleplaying.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000