Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How Exactly Did The Crusade Fulfill Oacenth's Vow?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  06:35:14  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Srinshee said when she took the Ruler's Blade:
"When Oacenth's Vow is fulfilled in the stars above and below, I shall return."

Oacenth's Vow is as follows:
"If we are to survive as the People," he said, "one coronal must vow to unify the tribes of this great land. One coronal must unify sun and moon, sky and sea, and tree, root, and earth, that all may achieve a long-lasting peace and strength in unity."

So, how did the crusade fulfill Oacenth's vow? I suppose you could also go into a discussion about what exactly is the meaning of the vow. 'Sun and moon' might mean moon elf and sun elf, but what about 'sky and sea, and tree, root, and earth'?
Also, what did the Srinshee mean when she said: 'in the stars above and below'?
Any ideas/answers?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  07:23:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sky and Sea could be a reference to the Sea Elves and Avariel, since this is apparently about uniting the Elven people.

The other three might be about the Green (Sylvan) Elves - Wood, Wild, and Drow (but don't ask me how, except for wood, which is obvious). I suppose 'earth' could mean the Drow, but that would leave 'root' for Grugach (Wild Elves), which is a little weird (unless you think of them as the 'root tribe' from whence all Wood Elves came).

A bit of a stretch, but that would cover all the major groups. Star Elves weren't created/invented/disovered when the vow was made, so they don't count. The Lythari would be missing as well, but they are sort-of 'half-Fey', so they might also be discounted.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jun 2009 07:24:10
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  08:32:42  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I though of this, but did this happen in the crusade? I don't remember any Avariel or Sea Elves participating. Did they come to Myth Drannor later, along with some Drow?
And it still wouldn't answer what the Srinshee meant when she said 'in the stars above and below'. Unless the stars below are Star ELves... ;)

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  15:13:14  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the Oacenth's Vow not means what it seems. The elven language is very hard to translate, u know!

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  15:19:32  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might happen in the five year period between the last chapter and epilogue in The Last Mythal. In any case it isn't specifically written down as far as I know, and I didn't see anything in the Grand History of the Realms that would explain it either. I could very well be wrong though and simply don't have a book with the relevant lore.
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  15:22:06  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be wrong, but the ruler blade and Srinshee didn't come back yet, right? Seiveril just took Myth Drannor...

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  15:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know we're all inclined to take Realmsian prophecies quite literally, but it's entirely possible the Oath is metaphorical: that is, as Ilsevele was the first elf to unite the elven peoples and to reclaim Cormanthyr in all ways. I do believe that trilogy does end with a land, air, and underground pincer motion in some way.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  16:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

I may be wrong, but the ruler blade and Srinshee didn't come back yet, right? Seiveril just took Myth Drannor...
The Srinshee's return to Myth Drannor is mentioned in the Grand History, under 1377 DR

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  17:06:01  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(I hadn't read 4e campaign book cause my DM is still on our "time-jump"... LoL... Ok, thanks for the lore, Brian R. James)

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  17:21:50  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:
Originally posted by edappel

The Srinshee's return to Myth Drannor is mentioned in the Grand History, under 1377 DR

Geez, Brian! You keep forgetting to mention that the half-elf ranger Ashe Ravenheart found Ary'Velahr'Kerym (the Warblade) and bonded to it in the battle for Shadowdale...

(how is this supposed to become canon if everyone forgets to mention it? )

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  17:57:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Forgets to mention what?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  18:47:09  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart:

They don't mention it because it's untrue. Everybody knows that Meneldur, a moon elf wizard found the sword, and gave it to the newly returned Syrumstar Auglamyr for her Choker and some, ahem, 'favors'.

But seriously now, doesn't anybody have an answer? Perhaps one of the writers...?

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2009 :  17:52:55  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the designers just forgot about it, like with the Tree of Souls. And the whole restoration of Myth Drannor, end of the Retreat was forced.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  23:52:48  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Sky and Sea could be a reference to the Sea Elves and Avariel, since this is apparently about uniting the Elven people.

The other three might be about the Green (Sylvan) Elves - Wood, Wild, and Drow (but don't ask me how, except for wood, which is obvious). I suppose 'earth' could mean the Drow, but that would leave 'root' for Grugach (Wild Elves), which is a little weird (unless you think of them as the 'root tribe' from whence all Wood Elves came).

Could also use the Widow Trilogy as feeding into it too. What with the return of the Illithyr as opposed to the drow.
Go to Top of Page

Ikki
Seeker

Finland
57 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  23:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Ikki's Homepage Send Ikki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

The Srinshee said when she took the Ruler's Blade:
"When Oacenth's Vow is fulfilled in the stars above and below, I shall return."

Oacenth's Vow is as follows:
"If we are to survive as the People," he said, "one coronal must vow to unify the tribes of this great land. One coronal must unify sun and moon, sky and sea, and tree, root, and earth, that all may achieve a long-lasting peace and strength in unity."

So, how did the crusade fulfill Oacenth's vow? I suppose you could also go into a discussion about what exactly is the meaning of the vow. 'Sun and moon' might mean moon elf and sun elf, but what about 'sky and sea, and tree, root, and earth'?
Also, what did the Srinshee mean when she said: 'in the stars above and below'?
Any ideas/answers?

sun, moon and sea are self evident. Sky, well, since avariel are extinct... how about that referring to the Imperial Elven Navy? Tying it closer to the groundling nations..

Tree, root and earth. Now thats a bit more esoteric. Ever heard the "as above, so below"? That was one gross failure of myth drannor, with the tree running wild, losing all contact with the roots..
That is, the great houses (tree) must serve the common elves (roots). Earth, being the home, the nation, that forms the boundry and meeting ground, the reason either exists.

Stars = capable ones. The ones with levels :P
above = houses, below = commoners. Those shouldnt be turned against each other, but united under a singlöe strong coronal.

...and thus we have, one people, one elven race, one nation... myth drannor over all... hail victory! :D

Edited by - Ikki on 23 Jun 2009 23:38:12
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  00:01:39  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sky, well, since avariel are extinct...

unless you were just poking fun above, this is incorrect i think unless i have missed a 3/3.5 edition canon reference to this occurrence

avariel present in Rogue Dragon trilogy - aerie located in Sossal, and in a forest in Damara

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000