Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Lore value and 4E products
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  14:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail fellow scribes,

I would like to inquire as to the 'lore' value in the two 4E products for the realms (for anyone who may have picked them up or even thumbed through them).

FRPG
and
Scepter Tower of the Spellguard

Now I know that 4E and 'lore' may seem at odds, but I am really wondering if there may be some small useful things such as location maps or other such useful tidbits which might be viable in an earlier (pre-spellplague) timeperiod.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  15:07:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read the FRCG. My opinion is that other than the section on Returned Abeir, there is very little lore in there worth paying attention to. If you're playing in the post-Sellplague era, it would be important, but otherwise, I can't recommend the book.

I did like the Returned Abeir section, though. It's vintage Ed, and thus is entirely unlike the rest of the book. Given the same amount of space for each area that the rest of the book uses (in other words, 2 pages for almost every geographical area), Ed makes his stuff far more intriguing and flavorful than anything else in the book. I've actually got a question in Ed's queue, that he's promised to reply to quickly, about what changes he would make to Returned Abeir to make it work in a pre-Sellplague campaign.

My bad; I just noted you were asking about the Player's Guide, not the Campaign Guide.

I've not read the FRPG, but flipping thru it, I didn't see any real lore in there. However, that was just a flip-thru, so I could have missed some real gems. I doubt it, considering the FRCG, but I'll not rule it out.

I've also flipped thru the Scepter Tower of Spellguard. If there is any real lore in there, it too escaped my perusal.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Jun 2009 15:11:39
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  19:05:10  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I´ve only glanced through it a few times myself, but the FRPG has some VERY basic info on the different background regions, but not really anything to suggest the enormous history of the Realms. If that would´ve been my introduction to the Realms, I´d have been less than impressed.

This...

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I did like the Returned Abeir section, though. It's vintage Ed, and thus is entirely unlike the rest of the book. Given the same amount of space for each area that the rest of the book uses (in other words, 2 pages for almost every geographical area), Ed makes his stuff far more intriguing and flavorful than anything else in the book.

...is so true.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  22:09:58  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all!
This time I bring a reply from Ed to Wooly Rupert’s recent query: “Hiya, Ed and lovely Lady Hooded One!
I'm adding yet another question to my ever-growing queue, and this is one that I think may be good for a lot of people...
One of the few high points in the FRCG is the amount of detail and such in the Returned Abeir section. It's quite obvious that that section of the book is pure Ed; his world-building is what makes that area usable.
It occurs to me that Returned Abeir could easily replace one of Toril's undescribed landmasses, rather than replacing something that may not be to everyone's liking but is a part of official canon. The shape isn't right, but since those other landmasses are mostly just blobby shapes on a map, I think that's easy enough to ignore.
However... I'd want to use it as Laerakond, and I'd want to use it in the pre-Sellplague Realms. So all the "Returned" aspects have to be tweaked. I'm thinking the Dawn Titans could be banished/exiled deities, perhaps even one of the groups of Seven Lost Gods. The missing part of the dragonborn kingdom is a bit harder, but maybe it could be an earthquake or the result of an awakened nastybad, perhaps even a Dawn Titan.
So, here's the question, friend Ed: if you had to make that continent work as part of the 1370-ish era, how would you do so?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Wooly! This is a great topic, and, yes, “Returned Abeir” can function just fine as a long-unseen continent of Toril circa 1350s through 1370s with almost no “foreground” changes - - that is, alterations to what mortal adventurers see around them and experience - - at all.
Returned Abeir becomes the identical continent of Laerakond, well southwest of Evermeet, that’s been isolated from direct contact with the distant continent of Faerûn because, yes, the Dawn Titans have been imprisoned there after a long-ago Godswar, behind a mighty Weave-warping divine magic enacted by the familiar Faerûnian gods we all know agreeing and working together (under the direction of Ao, if you use Ao in your campaign).
{If for some reason you want Mystra gone or diminished in your campaign, she could have sacrificed herself to BECOME this magic, retaining power and influence in Faerûn only through her Chosen and her church, as more and more of her divine energy was sapped, as the years passed, in binding and holding the Titans, who are increasingly able to devour it; see hereafter. Or perhaps, if you want to jettison Ao or specific deities from the published pantheon, they made this sacrifice.}
Even deities - - such as Mask, Bane, and Cyric - - who customarily cheat and manipulate to get their own ways in dealings with their fellow gods have no interest in working treachery on this particular deal among the gods, because the Titans, unleashed, are a direct and malicious threat to the gods of Faerûn and all their mortal worshippers. The Titans gain power not through worship, but by devouring souls and life-essence (godhood being their first and foremost desired meal). Letting the Titans go free would eventually mean no deities, and a Toril stripped of all life - - literally bare, windblown earth, with not a plant or beast left.
The Titans entered Realmspace through a rift inadvertently caused by the elven High Magic that cloaked Evermeet, stealing in through the “back door” so to speak, so their point of entry was “behind” (farther from Faerûn than) Evermeet. By chance, it was in the northern part of Laerakond.
Where dragons were already resident, and battling each other in struggles that had long ago reduced them to few in number and forced their conflicts into contests of etiquette, influence, strict rules, and fighting through proxies (lesser beasts, right down to their dragonborn slaves) - - lest their continuing struggles result in no food left for any dragon, or their destruction at the hands of the vastly less powerful but numerically far more numerous other races of Laerakond (such as the giants, humans, et al).
{For a hint of what this dragon society might have been like, recall the evil Skeksis of the DRAK CRYSTAL, and also look to a certain contest introduced in the opening pages of the forthcoming - - and great - - Erin Evans novel THE GOD CATCHER, fifth in the ED GREENWOOD PRESENTS WATERDEEP series.}
The arrival of the Titans shattered this status quo and awakened savage battle among the dragons once more - - and the arrival of the deities of Faerûn, alerted by the shockwaves sent through the Weave by Titans hurling magic at dragons who presumed to defy them, and the subsequent battle between gods and Titans, destroyed much of Tymanther. The dragonborn won free of their dragon overlords, the dragons were reduced to a mere handful, much of Laerakond north of “The Snouts” (the capes projecting into the Dragon Sea east of Marrauk and southwest of Stormhelm) was left a magic-ravaged chaos (not lifeless, but a turmoil of destruction and raging wild magic and wild growth and mutation spawned by it, of monsters wandering the land and no order but that of fang and claw) . . . and the Titans were magically bound into stasis, in deep caverns blasted out beneath Fimbrul and Relmaur.
Where they remain to this day, already awake and scheming but unable to win free of their immobility, not daring to try anything too drastic - - like crashing their spell-chains against each other violently and repeatedly - - for fear of collapsing the caverns around them and perishing under the weight of the mountains above. Yet seeking to reach out and rule all Toril from their prisons, by means insidious. They managed much during the Time of Troubles, luring many creatures to them through dream-visions sent forth while the gods were walking Faerûn, and their power is increasing, as rumors spread in Laerakond lure more and more adventurers and power-seekers to them, to this day.

So we have a longtime inability to pass from Faerûn to Laerakond and vice versa, except through a few secret gates (portals), because the elves wanted Evermeet cloaked not just from Faerûn, but also from Laerakond, and for years used lesser magics to aid and abet the magical experimentations of the great ruling dragons of Laerakond.
The dragons were alarmed by some ships arriving at their shores (from Faerûn and elsewhere), and - - after enslaving the crews, from whom many of the humans of their continent are descended - - raised magical storms in the seas around Laerakond that made sailing to and from it foolishly perilous.
Which left legends in Faerûn of a lost land somewhere across the seas, a vast land of terrible dragons and great riches, that a few sailors found long ago, but that none can find today.

Until recently, if you the DM want it to. Perhaps the Time of Troubles, or the deaths and shifting portfolios and power alliances among the gods since (if you have had any of those happen in your campaign) or any of your own tinkerings with the pantheon, have weakened or ended the “storms at sea” zones, and a few intrepid seacaptains have voyaged between one continent to the other, and back. (Or not, if you prefer; I designed both the continents of Faerûn and Laerakond to function perfectly in isolation, each as a campaign setting.)

Note that none of this (the “what happened” ideas I advanced above) invalidates what’s written in the FRCG as “Abeir’s Past.” Those published words merely become the locally-accepted version of things; what most folk of Laerakond believe happened “before the days we know now.”

The Titans become the source of Shar’s recent success, if you want them to, and of the Shadow Weave, if you want to use it, and can even be the backers of Shade (the Princes may or may not be aware of this). They can also be the source of any monsters or cults you want to add to the Realms (even “don’t fit” elements, such as the dragon kings of DARK SUN or something from RUNEQUEST or another fantasy setting or game, that you just want to experiment with as “one-offs”), or hitherto-unknown links (portals) connecting the Realms with, say, Golarion, or Eberron, or the fictional settings of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE or the WHEEL OF TIME or the setting of the Eddings BELGARIAD and MALLOREON or whatever you’d prefer.
The point is that the Titans are bound, and although they may individually be too strong to destroy (and their destruction, akin to an atomic explosion of unprecedented proportions, may be too damaging to Toril to dare attempt), they dare not break free and act openly, because the gods will swarm them and imprison them again, in (already explicitly threatened) greater torment. so instead, they work through proxies, seeking to sew discontent and warfare and mistrust, to weaken rulers and order and increase violence and “the wild” right across the face of the Realms, by cults here and monster breedings there. Perhaps they are behind the deepspawn, or the rise of a beholder realm, or both. They are certainly behind cults, cabals, and attempted treason and usurpations everywhere, and seeking to subvert existing merchant costers, brotherhoods, and other established power groups (the Harper, from within? the War Wizards? the Red Wizards?).
And they are certainly behind expedition after expedition of adventurers, both duped “good” bands and grasping evildoers (or adventurers hired by power-seekers in Tarmalune and your choice of the cities and lands of southern Laerakond) into Relmaur and Fimbrul, seeking to find the deep cavern of this or that Titan, and physically free them. Perhaps the imprisoned Titans are aware of a way to substitute a captured dragon or wizard (or even some or all of the adventurers who are rescuing them) for themselves in the bindings, to prevent gods whose attentions are now elsewhere from knowing that a Titan has won free . . .
Ah, such delicious cans of worms, all opened up in a row before you. Your choice of which to partake of, and how much, and when.
Dig in! :}

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms and Laerakond and lots of crazy, sneaky, fun campaign ideas like this!
GREAT question, Wooly!
love to all,
THO

This +5

Shar!
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  20:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nightseer

This +5

I do not understand...

A so long post for a so short remark?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Misc.
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  23:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Misc.'s Homepage Send Misc. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These new products are Forgotten Realms products, so they are of inherent value to anyone who runs the setting using the Dungeons and Dragons 4e rules. If you are a DM, the FRPG is an invaluable resource, providing feats, spells, and the like. As someone who just likes the world, it is of less value, but that is because it is not written with "you" in mind.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  05:35:20  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you dig 4e Realms, the 2 source books are important and good IMO. if you are not into 4E realms, then it will most likely just irk you as it has many others.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  07:33:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Irk' it one way of putting it.

I found a couple of things useful for 3e in the FRCG, but nothing I would use in the FRPG, and Spellgaurd just seem liked such a sad end for what was once a very cool piece of lore (turning it and her into a 'beginner adventure' is just pathetic).

As has already been stated, unless you plan on running a 4eFR game, they aren't much good to you.

Save your money and buy the new Eberron book... I understand it comes with a very nice map.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jun 2009 07:34:29
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  20:04:02  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Forgotten Realms is first and foremost a setting for Dungeons and Dragons. Therefore the “value” of Lore can only be fairly measured insofar as to how valuable it is at the gaming table in a campaign session.

A D&D setting needs
* scenery, geography, and a touch of history
* cities and adventure sites
* villains and monsters
* treasures and quests
* allies, patrons, and extras
* plots, rumors, legends, and conflicts.

More specifically, it needs these things in enough moderation and ambiguity to create a sense of wonder and mystery, rather than the stranglehold of omniscient foreknowledge. It needs enough breathing room for DMs to create their own adventures and allow them to create their own plot twists or quirks, and to allow the PCs to direct the course of the story.

The 4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide acchieves this end, and it focused on lore that is relevant to adventurers and adventuring. Unlike its predecessor, it did not waste space focusing on the various species of trees and shrubs, the spell immunities of Elminster, or historical facts that the likely PC adventurer would never know, never learn, and never have any use for. While all these things are lovely to know and read about they have very little--if any--practical impact at the game table, and can often--if anything--serve as more of a distraction than subtle flavor.

As for the other the tomes you specifically mentioned;

The Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide succeeded where its misnamed 3.5 predecessor utterly failed...as in it was an actual guide for players in the Forgotten Realms. What it lacks in lore it more that makes up for in relevance for its audience. The previous edition of the game made virtually no distinction between DM knowledge and Player knowledge, and only far into 3.5 did they begin any attempt to divide knowledge into its skill DC categories. More often than not they simply presented every minute, obscure, and precious detail about a given subject and left it up to the DM to sort out which sections of which paragraph would be common knowledge, what would be secret knowledge, and what random skill check DC to assign to other “canon” facts.

By contrast, the 4E Player’s Guide explicitly identifies the Common Knowledge that a given player begins with on a given region, and leaves more advanced stages of knowledge for the Campaign Guide: either to be given out through History and Streetwise checks (with listed DCs) or as mysteries to be revealed by some adventure, exploration, or quest. That alone exalts it above any other gaming accessories I've purchased in the past decade.

In all, the 4E books are intended for running a D&D campaign, rather than being complete infinite-page codex of esoteric lore. Its meant to be a setting that you spend your time playing in rather than endlessly reading about in the hopes that one day your adventure concept will be 100% compatible with the canon. I for one would gladly trade a 1,000 pages of lore that a given PC would never learn or never need in the course of a campaign in exchange for two pages of baseline lore that we can assume everyone at the table already knows, and from which I can extrapolate my own stories.

As for Scepter Tower of Spellgard (and this is moreso a reply to Markustay's comment above):

Spellgard in 3E was a pile of ruins, largely picked clean of treasure. The most (only) significant aspect of it was if you returned a piece of treasure to the ruins or spent a few minutes rebuilding a portion of it then Saharel’s ghost would appear to you and she would reward you by answering up three questions about Low Netheril (i.e. any part of the Netherese empire that existed outside of the flying enclaves). The fact that she was 30th level did not create a minimum level for adventures involving either Spellgard or her--for Saharel was presented as a non-hostile sage NPC, could be consulted by anyone who entered her ruins and gained her favor, and misguided attempts to attack her usually resulted in her simply disappearing.

In 4E Saharel gained prophetic powers and became more distant as a result of the Spellplague. Her fate in the lore is far more dignified than it is for other characters, and the value of an encounter with her is just as valuable at 24th level as it is at 4th level.

Edited by - The Simbul on 22 Jun 2009 20:11:45
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  16:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is this, a press release?

The Realms is a secondary world in its own right, and the extraordinary work put into doesn't deserve to be considered in any lesser way. If Wizards has decided to revert the Realms to a subsidiary convenience for placing dungeons -- the model of campaign world that the Realms historically showed the alternative to -- they can do that legally, but it doesn't deserve any further respect in terms of 'what the Realms is'. The prime irony of course is that if the Realms had been that smaller thing TSR wouldn't have acquired it and we wouldn't be talking here.

And that's exactly the narrow idea of 'use' that Wizards has preached for ten years as if it were the inevitable way of things. In reality, many Forgotten Realms campaigns point out another way of playing in which such knowledge as what trees and shrubs are like adds hugely to game play and massively enriches, magnifies and dignifies the experience of D&D. The idea that knowledge not immediately relevant to selfish purposes is dross is diametrically opposite to the philosophy of the Realms itself.

Meanwhile, the misconceptions that published Realmslore constitutes anything close to omniscience, or that substantial lore inherently holds any kind of stranglehold or harms mystery, are two of the canards that we as Realms fans need to be debunking, not furthering on a Realms forum where we know better.

Edited by - Faraer on 23 Jun 2009 17:02:18
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  16:22:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

Unlike its predecessor, it did not waste space focusing on the various species of trees and shrubs, the spell immunities of Elminster, or historical facts that the likely PC adventurer would never know, never learn, and never have any use for. While all these things are lovely to know and read about they have very little--if any--practical impact at the game table, and can often--if anything--serve as more of a distraction than subtle flavor.
And you're a fan of the Realms... HOW?!

If you want a 'setting-lite', Greyhawk has been around for years.. I know, I ran it for years.

That is until I got tired of making everything up myself, so I moved on up to the 'big-boy setting'.

We didn't need another 'beginner setting' - Greyhawk (which I still hold a special place in my heart for) did that admirably. 'Dumbing-down' FR was unnecessary and counter-productive to the IP as a whole.

The new Realms are specifically designed to appeal to a demographic that only has an attention span of 6 months to a year (so they can go out and buy the next setting WotC offers). The Forgotten Realms have always been about it's depth, and if anyone didn't "get that", then they were playing in the wrong setting.

There are dozens, perhaps hundreds, of other settings out there for folks who don't want a lot of background; it made no sense what-so-ever to turn the Realms into just another fish in the pond.

Anyway, we didn't need to turn this into another anti-4e thread. The OP asked if the FRPG had any useful lore if you were running a non-4e game, and the straight answer is NO. The campaign guide had a few useful bits that could be adapted to any era, but the Players Guide was rules-heavy and therefore nearly worthless to a non-4e player.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Jun 2009 16:22:58
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  16:44:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus, I think the contrary, about your last paragraph.

The FR Players Guide is useful in a non-4e game, IMO, because it resumes all the regions in a base of character-knowledge. This, I think that is very useful in any edition of the game (and we don´t have this in the early editions). There was no players book isolated of the DM´s book (with little exceptions: Vilhon Reach boxed set do this very well).

This type of organization help the DM a lot, regardless of game edition, or ruleset.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  17:25:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People often characterize the World of Greyhawk as intentionally 'light', usually as something they either dislike or are in favour of; but it's an oversimplification when you consider not only the novels and sourcebooks that have amassed (down the two tracks of post-Gygax TSR and post-TSR Gygax) but also that Gary himself planned to publish regional sourcebooks for parts such as the Wild Coast (which may yet see print from Rob Kuntz).

As well, when you're considering the advisability of published detail, there's a great difference between integral detail -- that's existed for decades in the case of the Realms' backlog -- and making up superficial stuff to fill splatbook pages, both in terms of quality and of doing justice to each imaginary construct's virtues and strengths.

People aren't superior or inferior for making up their own worlds and adventures, expanding them around a basic framework, or for using a highly detailed setting (of which the most detailed by far is our own world, a point which by itself debunks the 'stranglehold' idea) as a base. That kind of talk just raises hackles, and I think we can realize that without supposing that 'all play styles are equal', either. Different play styles achieve particular aims better for particular groups of people!

I think there's much to be said for the sampling of information the FRCG uses over the concise-encyclopedia approach of the FRCS. It's certainly much more defensible (in terms other than commercial ones) than the decision to end the sourcebook line there.

The FRPG has pockets of worthwhile content among much stuff of dubious use (use, once more, not being a universal constant!) to non-powergamers.

Edited by - Faraer on 23 Jun 2009 17:35:28
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  13:16:56  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

What is this, a press release?
I wouldn't call it that.

I'd say it's The Simbul just keeping it real (and God Bless her for that).

Another point: If elements of a product like the FR Player's Guide don't directly appeal to a Realmslore purist, it doesn't follow those parts of the product are then only useful to a power gamer. That sort of back end stereotyping isn't helpful. Moreso it pretends ignorance to the truth, which is that most gamers enjoy a fusion of mechanics and setting material.

My players are all of them superb roleplayers. That doesn't preclude them using the excellent information in the FRPG to round out their characters mechanically in ways that fit how they imagine their characters to be.

As to Chyron's initial question: I've not turned my nose up like some fat, finicky, overfed cat at Scepter Tower of Spellguard. On the contrary I own the adventure and am running it in my 4E Realms game.

Now then, adventures themselves aren't supposed to be anything other than what they are (i.e. adventures). Like many Realms adventures before it, Scepter Tower won't provide you with a heaping of lore (the idea that Realms adventures should do this has always been a spurious excuse used by some to falsely differentiate between newer and older Realms products).

What it will do -if you've no prior knowledge of the place- is allow a DM to introduce to his or her players to some of the history of fallen Netheril of old. It will introduce players to the concept of Low Netheril and the Fallen Lands. Players will learn about the harsh geography of the lands around Spellguard and rumors of the dangers inherent to the region (marauding orcs and other mysterious locales such as Stormkeep and the Plateau of Reversed Obelisks).

Players can learn about the mighty magic the Netherese once wielded and how the Scepter Tower itself was once a place focused on making magical devices of the same name. The DM will learn of Lady Saharel's aid of Elminster against Manshoon during the time of troubles --old info to the likes of many of us, but to a new DM this might be the fact that leads them to the discovery of some old novels worth reading.

Ultimately the FRPG and the adventure are very much "in the now" of the Realms. If a DM wanted to know the floor plan for Scepter Tower, the adventure is good for that. I don't see either book being reverse-useful beyond that.

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 12 Jul 2009 13:23:29
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  15:34:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a question, Misc - will you be running that module 'as is', or will you be tweaking it for your game?

I have always felt the need to tweak pre-fab modules (IMHO, every DM should to suit his table), but I have found that some need a LOT of tweaking, while others just need a little 'fine-tuning'.

I'm not picking a fight, BTW... I'm just curious as to what you are doing with it. I only gave it a brief glance-through, so I'm not all that familiar with the product, but I have seen numerous complaints about it being a 'non-adventure' (Basically, it acts as just a springboard for some other adventure, from what I gather).

Just curious, is all.

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

This type of organization help the DM a lot, regardless of game edition, or ruleset.
While that is very true, how is that organization in a 4e rulebook helpful to 3e players?

We could take that organization and use it as a model to build our own 3e version, but we already had a model for that with the regional feats rules. I hope your not implying that 3e players could use the information in the 4e FRPG as information that would be available to them... unless everyone in your campaign is able to tell the future.

The world that 4e players can 'know' using the 4e Players Guide is not the world 3e players in the Realms would know, so that information is indeed useless (unless, of course, you are referring to 3e rules players who are using the 4e setting... and I haven't really heard of ANY of those).

There was once some talk here awhile back about putting together regional 'Player's Guides' for each area, and I thought that was a great idea... but alas, yet another project that will never see the light of day thanks to 4e and lack of any sort of Fansite policy.

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jul 2009 15:42:17
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  21:55:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

<snip> and I haven't really heard of ANY of those).

Oh, I've heard of a few of those, both in the `Keep and elsewhere. Granted, it's not as prevalent, but I've heard of them.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  11:17:08  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus,
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Just a question, Misc - will you be running that module 'as is', or will you be tweaking it for your game?
I've found that every adventure I've ever run (AD&D, Third Edition D&D, Fourth Edition D&D) requires at least some sort of adjustment in order to make it work in a given campaign.

In my experience Scepter Tower is very much a grind-style of adventure. Sure you've got the random encounters the DM can put together on the journey to the Scepte Tower, catacombs and a couple set encounters and some roleplaying opportunities at the Monastery and at the camps in the environs of the ruins, but once the players hit the Tower that's where it really gets going, with very little rest (in 4E terms, short rests at most) in between encounter unless the players make some effort to fortify their position.

Grinding isn't necessarily bad, but it can become repetitive when you face the same monsters. Scepter Tower has a good mix, but the Tower encounters keep using the same bad guys. So I'm tweaking the adventure to include a wider variety of creatures (thank you Monster Manual). My players are higher level than the adventure calls for so I have some room to play around with the creature mix on each encounter.

The other tweaks I'm making are standard ones involving fitting Scepter Tower into my campaign. I ran Scepter Tower right after Keep on the Shadowfell, so I had to establish some links between the main bad guys in each adventure and tie their efforts into a unified threat against Cormyr.

With regard to what you've heard about the adventure: Sounds like atypical thoughtless 4E Realms bashing to me. While it is true what you've heard about Scepter Tower being able to keep a campaign going (it does a great job of that), getting to that point is hardly a cakewalk. It takes some serious player work to do it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000