Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Got Campaigns?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  02:21:07  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know I have asked before (I am a persistent little bugger) and I know it would be hard to work out, but has there ever been an online campaigning forum or section or something of the sort on this site? True, I have not the resources to host one (play it at friends), but is there a slight chance of making this happen? If there isn't then I will ask no more.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Once you eat the poisoned one you die.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  03:18:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A idea such as this was discussed some time ago, back in May I believe. At the time, I had the available resources to commit to such a project, however things have now changed. Although I may still be able to try to get together some equipment, provided enough people take an interest.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  03:27:14  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If such an action does take place, sign me up.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  07:58:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay then. I will start finding out whether other people might still be interested in this.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  12:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I admit that a PbF game would be nice . . . . I saw some at another forum I peeked in on. It looked good. Plus they had a dice-roller fit into the forum itself. (In case anyone was wondering, it's the same sort of base forum as this one.)

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  12:25:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have the link for that particular forum Bookwyrm?.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:00:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, and you do too. It's the forum attatched to the Dungeons & Dorks website.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:06:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silly, silly old sage .

Thanks for pointing out my obvious stupidity for asking that question in the first place .

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Jul 2003 13:07:03
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always wanted to try a PBf, or even pbe, count me in if you ever decide to do it.
(or at least count in one former human now elvish necromancer named Elec)

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:36:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I will soon (very soon) be running a PbeM, if you are interested?.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, very -- oh, wait, I'm already signed up.

Now, how did your character go from human to elf, Malanthius?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:55:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That you are Bookwyrm. I have some other forum users from the WotC site eager as well, although a lot of them are power-gamers, not something you really want in this type of campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  14:02:26  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The pen is mighter than the sword! Or in other words, fluff beats crunch in the end. After all, which one becomes boring the fastest?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  14:07:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. Crunch has the tendancy to become repetitive and predictable. I mean there are only so many options available when using crunch. Fluff has no such limits, just the imagination...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  14:33:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Candlekeep member (Elrond Half-Elven) who has been gone for some time has this little nugget:

The definition of Hack'n'Slash:
Kill monster, take treasure, repeat until bored unconscious.

(Of course, Hack & Slash is also a very funny act at the local annual Renaissance festival. )

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  14:35:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see the enticing nature of this particular formula .

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  17:35:14  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starting the campaign at lvl 1 I presume?

Also, hack and slash is fun if you can do it in style.
Step 1 - Bring up axe behind shoulder.
Step 2 - Swing axe to opponents head.
Step 3 - Axe either decapitates the head or cleaves it in half.
Step 4 - If dec. occurs you raise the head above you and drink the blood from the dripping wound, then when done you throw head into nearest enemy, the head exploding killing off the rest of enemies.
Step 4 (part 2) - If it Cle. then you can grab the to parts of the head and send them flying at the enemies (like a shakrum) chopping them in half as the parts go and then they eventually return to your hands.
Step 5 - Take gold and armour and such and get very drunk.

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  17:40:47  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, if this does happen and I get to join, would anyone have anything agaist me being an Orc? (I have a high level Orc grunt and they kick ass)

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  18:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Yes, very -- oh, wait, I'm already signed up.

Now, how did your character go from human to elf, Malanthius?

Johan Mikelson of waterdeep was a good man. When his parents fell ill, he took an apprenticeship in the local scribes guild as apposed to simply taking off with a traveling mage. Through hours of endless toil without complaint he provided enough money for them to be reasonably comfortable even as the plague took them.
Though always interested in the arcane, and a somewhat silent servant of mystra, he maintained his duties as a scribe to provide stability for a new wife, and eventually a rather large family of sons and daughters. He did not complain of taxes, the overall condition of the city, or the pilfering of common thieves that always seemed to target him and his family since they were not strictly poor, but not rich enough to have addequate security. Johan Mikelson was a good man.
When war and the time of troubles took his sons and daughters, he stood resolute, and as dispair wasted away his wife, he did not give in to grief.It was not long after her death that the arrogance of nobles took his livelihood however.
So this honorable man, hard working, dependable man, now wracked by age, was forced to simply work in an assylum as a caretaker, far away indeed from both the books and traces of art he once loved. Was it fate that brough to him that oh so powerful scroll through a chance sale? Was it destiny that whispered in his ear to notice the youth and overall health of a moon elf that was completely insane?
Johan Mikelson was a good man. Elec Mournbringer is not.

Mal

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  22:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a problem with orcs, or any kind of "savage species". The idea is to pul it off without making "munkins" though.
As for the character i want to do, Elec, he's an equal opportunity exploiter....

Mal.

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  23:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... if that is a yes, I will make a new thread to ask for participants. I will wait your decison first though.

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  23:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry.
Yes. I'd love to join, and i'd love to have an orc in the party or whatever. Count me in. See you there hopefully Sal.

Malanthius

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  00:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No need to be sorry good Malanthius. An orc is quite a savage species indeed, that is why I like them.

Edited by - Salabasha on 28 Jul 2003 00:02:44
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  01:54:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is good news indeed. I will be posting some relevant information concerning the PbeM probably this week. I have two exams this week, one tomorrow, and the other on Wednesday. I will post the basic campaign information after that. Although, I can tell you that it will have a planar themed storyline, and probably be based around character level 6-8.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Jul 2003 01:54:53
Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  02:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah quite good, quite good indeed. Thank you for time and effort Sage of Perth.

PS Don't suppose a lvl 9 could join?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  03:04:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose I could find a way to work something like that in, however I must remind you that this will not be a power-gamer's PbeM. This campaign is purely dedicated to those who enjoy fluff, more than crunch. And if there is one thing a planar campaign has more of, is fluff.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Jul 2003 03:04:52
Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  03:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fluff eh?

Proceeds to hide axe and brings out reading glasses and a large stack of tomes. Coughs once and reads "Hokaus Poakus" and promptly bursts into flames.

Yes, I know what you mean on fluff. Quests that has to do with more then slaughtering your enemies. Of course, who can't but enjoy a little crunch when the fighting gets tough? Swing and slice, swing and smash, bash, bash, slash and gash.

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  07:10:39  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. He wants to play an orc alright.
Mal.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000