Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Need help locating a place in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

underthumb
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  19:34:10  Show Profile Send underthumb a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings all.

An old issue of Polyhedron magazine has an article about Sigil (of Planescape) and describes a portal under a bridge called the Seafarer's Arch. This particular portal can take you to the world of Toril. Here's the relevant sentence:

"On the world of Toril (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting), the Seafarer's Arch leads to a large open sewer pipe that leads from the city's Underdeep and empties into the Trackless Sea."

The above quote is all that is said about its connection to Toril. The sentence itself is awkward. Do you think the author is trying to say that the the portal leads to Undermountain or Waterdeep? (Could either empty into the Trackless Sea? I thought Waterdeep faced the Sea of Swords).

One alternative is that the author is saying the portal leads to some location underneath Sigil which then has another portal into the Trackless Sea, but Sigil explicitly has no sewers, which makes this interpretation unlikely. (Also, there is no place in Sigil called "Underdeep").

Any suggestions?

Edited by - underthumb on 17 Jan 2009 19:38:18

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  20:15:03  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was under the impression that the "trackless sea" was another name for the ocean in the west off Faerun.

Also, it says that the arch on the world of Toril leads to a sewer- doesn't seem to matter that Sigil has no sewer.

I also seem to recall something about Underdeep being an under water version of the Underdark, but I could have made that up or pulled it from somewhere other then FR.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  21:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its saying that the portal in Sigil leads into a sewer pipe that empties into the sea.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

underthumb
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  21:40:51  Show Profile Send underthumb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

Its saying that the portal in Sigil leads into a sewer pipe that empties into the sea.

Yes, that much is clear. The question is, where in the Trackless Sea does it empty into? It says something about a city and something about "Underdeep". Brynweir's suggestion on this point is that it might be some place in the underdark, but I'm not sure if such a place could have a sewer pipe. Anyhow, I'll check into that idea more.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  22:29:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sea of Fallen Stars p. 40 says '"Underdeep" has become the generic term for the utterly black and frigid waters sunlight never reaches,' but it sounds more like the article was just vaguely referring to 'the sewers and Undermountain and Underdark and stuff under Waterdeep' and thence into the sea west of the city. We get the gist.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  22:49:42  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by underthumb

quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

Yes, that much is clear. The question is, where in the Trackless Sea does it empty into? It says something about a city and something about "Underdeep". Brynweir's suggestion on this point is that it might be some place in the underdark, but I'm not sure if such a place could have a sewer pipe. Anyhow, I'll check into that idea more.

I wasn't trying to imply that Underdeep was part of Underdark - just an equivalent in the sea. An underwater Underdark - lol

I'm gonna have to go with the notion that it's just a reference to a sewer emptying into the sea west of Waterdeep or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  05:41:25  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a picture, unknown source, that is apparently a picture of Sigil. In the picture there is a bridge called Seafarers' Arch. Under the arch there is a sewer pipe with an arrow pointing towards it saying "Gate Keys".
The overall picture looks to be some area of Sigil, not sure where. Just got the picture from a friend this past week.

Is this what you're looking for? Or are you looking for the location of the portal on Toril?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000