Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The correct reading order for all FR novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hyset
Acolyte

Austria
9 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  15:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Hyset's Homepage Send Hyset a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks.

I know it has been mentioned several times, and there are quite a few lists all over the internet for the Timeline or the reading Order.

Nevertheless I am still seeking a list where someone who really knows them all(from Wotc? from Candlekeep? Ed?)
does give a correct reading order list for ALL novels of the FR.

I have read them all, from the beginning, starting in 1988 with "Spellfire". At the moment I am a bit behind, reading "The FIGHTERS" at the moment.

My clue for the correct reading order is: Looking on the publishing date of the first novel of a Triloy or series. Then read the series completely, if the contents is connected. If not, go with the publishing date of every single book.

Most of the times it will not matter. But there are some things that are relevant.

I stopped reading "Queen of the debths" as soon as I recognized the the series "Year of the rogue dragon" should be read before that book.

Correct does not mean in timeline!
I think "Homeland" should be read AFTER "The crystal shard". It was meant that way by the author...

So is there a correct reading list (Novel by Novel) for the FR?
I think of course it should start with Moonshea trilogie.....

regards

Harry

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  15:58:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hyset

Correct does not mean in timeline!
I think "Homeland" should be read AFTER "The crystal shard". It was meant that way by the author...

Once more, I am going to take extreme exception with this statement. There is absolutely no evidence to support it, and there is evidence against it. RAS has gone on record as saying that Drizzt was a spur of the moment idea, created specifically for The Crystal Shard. It was fan demand and TSR's desire for more money that lead to further books about Drizzt. So Homeland and the attendant books were written later not because RAS wanted the books to be read in that order, but because there was a desire for more of Drizzt's story.

When there is demand to know more about a character, and a prequel is written for them, it's silly to assume that going back to fill in a story means that's the way the author wanted it read. Prequels are usually written later because the demand didn't exist before.

Publishing order is irrelevant. If an author intended story B to be read after story A, then he would set B after A, chronologically.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  16:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second everything Wooly just said.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Hyset
Acolyte

Austria
9 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  16:23:06  Show Profile  Visit Hyset's Homepage Send Hyset a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, maybe you have a point.

It's more than 15 years that I read "homeland", so i don't know if it was written with or without reference to the earlier books.
(Drizzt remebering the past?)

But that exactly my point: I am not really sure in which order all the novels should be read. Cadderly appears in some Drizzt-Novels, so you should read the cleric quintet before those where he appeares.

I really would like to have a recommendation of the FR-Powers at WotC. Not to start with Sembia, but a Novel-by-Novel list recommendation for those who want to read in the correct order. Who never want to be at a point when reading: "What is he talking about? I should have read the other book first".

I think the list could start with Netheril?

harry

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  16:41:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you want to read them chronologically, the best list is O Love's Novels Timeline.

There was a novel chronology on the Wizards site (Presenting... Seven Millennia of Realms Fiction), but it's badly out of date -- they released the list in 2000 or so, and never updated it after that.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  17:16:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In case it wasn't mentioned yet, there is no "one correct order" for reading the FR novels. You can of course choose to read the novels in published order*, but that's not the "right" way to read them, and it's something you are imposing on yourself rather than something suggested or recommended by WotC or fans.

*And by the way, I don't recommend this. You enjoy books more when you are reading them out of interest, not because "this one was published first."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 Jan 2009 17:22:18
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  17:36:59  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I will support the notion that the Dark Elf trilogy should be read before the Icewind Dale trilogy, and will add that there isn't such thing as a "correct" reading order. Even chronologically, if that is the goal, numerous novels are stand-alone, and books that take place beforehand chronologically don't need to be read to understand or enjoy them.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  18:34:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-I will support the notion that the Dark Elf trilogy should be read before the Icewind Dale trilogy, and will add that there isn't such thing as a "correct" reading order. Even chronologically, if that is the goal, numerous novels are stand-alone, and books that take place beforehand chronologically don't need to be read to understand or enjoy them.

And a lot of trilogies don't affect any of the others, either... If you're interested in Elaine's Counselors and Kings trilogy, for example, it won't matter at all if you've not read the Finder's Stone trilogy beforehand. You can read all about Erevis Cale without having to worry about what happened in the latest Drizzt book, and the War of the Spider Queen had no influence whatsoever on the events of the Year of Rogue Dragons...

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  18:51:43  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a few series where there is some collision and you may end up getting spoilers for another series if you read them, but generally those are fairly obvious. For example, I (still!) haven't finished War of the Spider Queen and I was in a bookstore looking at the latest books a few months ago. I saw Gossamer Plain, and after reading the back, it seemed like it would be a good idea to finish WotSQ before reading that. Most other overlap is pretty easy to spot, so you don't really need to worry that much about order.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  19:31:27  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I support the notion that even the word "should" is a little too heavily freighted toward prescription for this discussion.

Any reading strategy that makes sense and leads to enjoyment and understanding is a productive one, probably.

I will say, though, that I think that Wooly's statement below might not take as many factors into account as it "should."

Cheers!

Christopher

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

If an author intended story B to be read after story A, then he would set B after A, chronologically.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  20:02:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And a lot of trilogies don't affect any of the others, either...

-No, no they don't. Generally speaking, I prefer when the events from other novels get mentions and nods in other novels (that are not inherently related. As in, something other than mentions and segue from one Drizzt trilogy to another). I am trying to think of an example, but as I am having some difficulty, it seems to be a bit more rare than I am thinking it.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  20:51:07  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Ahem* It's been documented that Ghostwalker contains a tiny reference to A Thousand Orcs--as a sort of "tall tale" reference.

I like to put in tiny references like that, which honor other books but don't in any way affect them--nor do you have to have read the books under discussion. Just a little tip of the hat.

There might be a few such easter eggs in Downshadow--just sayin'.

Carry on. *ahem!*

Cheers

Mod edit: changed a stray "{" back to a "[" so that the code worked correctly.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Jan 2009 21:13:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  21:22:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And a lot of trilogies don't affect any of the others, either...

-No, no they don't. Generally speaking, I prefer when the events from other novels get mentions and nods in other novels (that are not inherently related. As in, something other than mentions and segue from one Drizzt trilogy to another). I am trying to think of an example, but as I am having some difficulty, it seems to be a bit more rare than I am thinking it.

In the end of Ring of Winter, we find out that Artus Cimber rented his apartment from Razor John, the fletcher from Crusade who joined the fight against the Tuigan. And it was Danilo Thann who inadvertently gave the butler at the Stalwart Club his devilish appearance.

Danilo also briefly chatted with Liriel Baenre, when she was trying to get into Waterdeep.

And Troy Denning, in particular, likes to reuse his characters from prior books -- Ruha is the best example of this.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  21:39:38  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

*Ahem* It's been documented that Ghostwalker contains a tiny reference to A Thousand Orcs--as a sort of "tall tale" reference.

I like to put in tiny references like that, which honor other books but don't in any way affect them--nor do you have to have read the books under discussion. Just a little tip of the hat.

Carry on. *ahem!*

Cheers

-I just read it recently, but I don't really remember anything. Was it a reference made by the Lord Singer concerning his political rival traveling to Silverymoon, and a mention of Alutriel's war with Obould, and the Orcs, and so on and so forth? Or, was it a mention about the Rangers in the area *not* being Drizzt Do'Urdenish, or something to that effect?

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  21:44:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And Troy Denning, in particular, likes to reuse his characters from prior books -- Ruha is the best example of this.

-This is not really what I was getting at. One author using his characters over and over (even if the stories are related or not, interconnected or not) is one thing. Troy Denning wrote, The Parched Sea and The Return of the Archwizards trilogy, for example. James Lowder wrote both Ring of Winter and Crusade, so the same thing is at work there. I was thinking more along the lines of what Erik did, mentioning events and/or people from novels completely extraneous from his own, just for "flavor text".

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  21:45:58  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i personally love it when there is a vague reference to current goings on in the realms.in midnights mask there is a reference to dragons acting strangely.its set in the year of rogue dragons.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  23:30:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting.

Can you say whether they might reference other current post-Spellplague novels, or pre-Spellplague novels?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  03:15:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-This is not really what I was getting at. One author using his characters over and over (even if the stories are related or not, interconnected or not) is one thing. Troy Denning wrote, The Parched Sea and The Return of the Archwizards trilogy, for example. James Lowder wrote both Ring of Winter and Crusade, so the same thing is at work there. I was thinking more along the lines of what Erik did, mentioning events and/or people from novels completely extraneous from his own, just for "flavor text".

How about Steven Schend using Kyriani and Osco Salibuck from the comics in his novels? (Though the original Osco was just referred to, and not used as a character, the way Kyri was.)

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  04:47:24  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, I don't think you have to read Year of Rogue Dragons to enjoy Queen of the Depths. I hope you don't. I tried to write QotD so it stood on its own.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  08:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the most part I enjoy reading the novels as I buy them. Afterall, they are but mere glimpses into the goings on in the Realms at a certain point in time. When they happen to tie together—however loosely, as Erik's tip-of-hat references or Steven's cameos do for example—it makes for even more enjoyable reading, but it is not required to know the exact story (read the novel) they refer to. Besides, following a strategy of reading the novels in strict chronological order, will require that you wait until your deathbed in case you missed some future written story set during or prior to the ones you already have.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  14:18:16  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hyset

It's more than 15 years that I read "homeland", so i don't know if it was written with or without reference to the earlier books.
(Drizzt remebering the past?)

I don't know about Homeland, but the final "Drizzt Diary" or Epilogue of Sojourn mentions Wulfgar and the minor side-character Agorwal of Termalaine, both of whom we do not actually see in action until The Crystal Shard.

I think we're also treated to some insights from Drizzt in the Drizzt Diaries of the Entreri-and-Jarlaxle series "The Sellswords": insights that Drizzt couldn't possibly have known at the time, but which he must pick up at a later date and then project back into his understanding of the story.

Personally, I recommend reading "The Icewind Dale Trilogy" first, before "The Dark Elf Trilogy", simply because it works best thematically, or atmospherically, that way. Drizzt was new and mysterious in RAS's first series, and it was precisely that air of mysteriousness that led fans to call for an explanation of the drow's background and which led to the next mini-series. I would hate for people to miss out on the intangible quality of that air of mystery in "TIDT" because they already had everything spilled to them when reading "TDET" first.

But...it's like...you know...whatever...

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  07:46:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-I just read it recently, but I don't really remember anything. Was it a reference made by the Lord Singer concerning his political rival traveling to Silverymoon, and a mention of Alutriel's war with Obould, and the Orcs, and so on and so forth? Or, was it a mention about the Rangers in the area *not* being Drizzt Do'Urdenish, or something to that effect?

Passage on page 23, starts with "A dark elf ranger? Rubbish!"

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Interesting.
Can you say whether they might reference other current post-Spellplague novels, or pre-Spellplague novels?

Ha! You know me, my friend--can neither confirm nor deny.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  15:36:57  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

i personally love it when there is a vague reference to current goings on in the realms.in midnights mask there is a reference to dragons acting strangely.its set in the year of rogue dragons.

I agree. I remember reading Daughter of the Drow and there was a reference to a book written by one of the Harpells up in Longsaddle about a drow gone good somewhere in the north. I can't remember which Drizzt book it was referring to (Streams of Silver, BEAST?), but it made me smile. I've had similar experiences with other books along the way, so there definitely is something to be said about reading in chronological order.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  08:05:41  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mnb128
I agree. I remember reading Daughter of the Drow and there was a reference to a book written by one of the Harpells up in Longsaddle about a drow gone good somewhere in the north. I can't remember which Drizzt book it was referring to (Streams of Silver, BEAST?), but it made me smile.

I haven't read that one of EC's, buddy. Sorry.

Drizzt did visit Longsaddle in Streams of Silver, so that makes sense.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  00:56:32  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

In case it wasn't mentioned yet, there is no "one correct order" for reading the FR novels. You can of course choose to read the novels in published order*, but that's not the "right" way to read them, and it's something you are imposing on yourself rather than something suggested or recommended by WotC or fans.

*And by the way, I don't recommend this. You enjoy books more when you are reading them out of interest, not because "this one was published first."

I myself am reading them in sets of trilogies and series by publishing dates. I understand your meaning on choosing your books by your interests but if I did it that way, I would never get to some of the uninteresting looking ones. For example, I just finished Twilight Giants Trilogy and was really dreading having to read that one. I'm thinking " a trilogy about giants, how dull is that. They're always the slow witted ones getting defeated in battle. After reading it though, I was quite impressed. The trilogy was actually pretty good. OK, there is my 2 coppers.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Hyset
Acolyte

Austria
9 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  23:37:49  Show Profile  Visit Hyset's Homepage Send Hyset a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darkcrow
I myself am reading them in sets of trilogies and series by publishing dates. I understand your meaning on choosing your books by your interests but if I did it that way, I would never get to some of the uninteresting looking ones. For example, I just finished Twilight Giants Trilogy and was really dreading having to read that one. I'm thinking " a trilogy about giants, how dull is that. They're always the slow witted ones getting defeated in battle. After reading it though, I was quite impressed. The trilogy was actually pretty good. OK, there is my 2 coppers.

That exactly the way I'm doing it. Would not want to leave out a single book. You never might know....
But you have quite a list before you. The Twilight Giants are from 1994. Still about 200 books left till you catch up
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  01:00:50  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 113 more books to go before I'm all caught up.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Hyset
Acolyte

Austria
9 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  11:14:39  Show Profile  Visit Hyset's Homepage Send Hyset a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darkcrow

I have 113 more books to go before I'm all caught up.

From the books published till jan. 2009, I have 37 more books to go.
But I think I will not be able to read more than 16 Books a year, having other things to do, play, watch, listen and read, so it will take till 2011 or 2012 to catch up.

And as I do not start a trilogy till the final book is published (or is expected to be published within a month), I will not really catch up completely.

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2009 :  14:58:00  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hyset, i really thinks u r the biggest reader of FR novels. Congrats.

I`ve already read 40 books... But the biggest problem is that i`m from brazil, so its f*c**n* hard to buy them... (the shipping rate and the exchange rate makes it 4 times expensive to us). I was planning to read all of them in 20 years, but after seeing the completed list.... I'll be glad reading 100 books.
And now, with my son`s born... It will take a LOONG time til reading 100.

Sorry 'bout my english, I read well, but my writing is terrible.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2009 :  15:08:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

Sorry 'bout my english, I read well, but my writing is terrible.

No worries. We have more than a few Americans here who flub the language on a regular basis. I often do it myself, but it's usually intentional for me.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000