Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Some Hope...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  19:33:48  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this is a great idea

it would mean less RSEs, the authors would concentrate more on the obscure parts of the world that have never been detailed

and the 5e transition would be easier when the 100 year jump is erased and the designers wouldn't feel so bad about what they have done

Edited by - Quale on 13 Jan 2009 19:37:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  19:46:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I think this is a great idea

it would mean less RSEs, the authors would concentrate more on the obscure parts of the world that have never been detailed

and the 5e transition would be easier when the 100 year jump is erased and the designers wouldn't feel so bad about what they have done

There hasn't been anything preventing them on focusing on more obscure parts, nor has there been any setting-driven need for RSEs. Nothing needs to be changed for them to actually give us what we want, and nothing needed to be changed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  22:46:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My original suggestion (which wasn't taken up) was to actually have the Tree of Souls planted in Lamruil's realm. It would have been badly damaged in the Rage of Dragons but then 'fruited' with the coming spring with two of the precious pods taken back to Evermeet and planted there (in pots) and both growing into saplings.

It was one of those saplings, a scion of the Tree of Souls, that was given to the elves of reclaimed Myth Drannor. The reason the Queen of Evermeet told the elve sof Myth Drannor that she was giving them THE Tree of Souls (rather than A Tree of Souls) was to protect Lamruil's safehaven and secret realm in the North.

I also postulated that each Tree was different in its powers and effects.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  04:17:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would have worked as well, but it would of taken from the tree's uniqueness.

Personally, I think if they had found the tree dead in the new city (sorry - can't remember the name ATM), and Lamruil had gone back to his mother to report not only the loss of his future queen, but the loss of the tree, it would have had more meaning...

Then when the Elves returned to Myth Drannor, and retook their city and buried their dead...

they found a NEW tree growing on the spot the next morning... and see a sign of Corellon Larethion fading away... almost as if it was never there...

But alas, the 'continuity glitch' had already been written, so that wasn't really possible.

So, without sourcebooks, novels set in pre-4e, and possibly no CKC's on the horizon, where do I go to get my 'fix' now.

I'm going through withdrawel here (and my old books are getting a little 'ratty' from all the re-reads).

I'm getting desperate...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Jan 2009 05:20:54
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  14:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

However, the city itself - in all it's grandeur - is on the cover of the novel!

I believe that was actually pointed out to me by Brian James (although I could be mistaken).

Ergo, we must assume that the city was indeed founded, since the novel does include a picture of it.

Well, I always assumed that was a picture of some place on Evermeet.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  15:48:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

However, the city itself - in all it's grandeur - is on the cover of the novel!

I believe that was actually pointed out to me by Brian James (although I could be mistaken).

Ergo, we must assume that the city was indeed founded, since the novel does include a picture of it.

Well, I always assumed that was a picture of some place on Evermeet.

Ditto.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  16:24:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It snows on Evermeet?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  17:22:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It snows on Evermeet?

I'd honestly never looked at the pic long enough to notice the snow in the background.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  23:02:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It snows on Evermeet?

Yes. From Elves of Evermeet pg. 12:- "Winter brings with it snows and chill winds."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  03:09:58  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is really dissapointing. I was really looking forward to hearing more about the realm that Lamruil was supposed to found, but they just threw it away? *shakes head* Just another grudge I'll have against 4e. It seems like WotC has set their sites on a complete reboot of FR, but if that's what they wanted, I think they should have just made a new setting.

Oh, and Wooley, Azure Bonds has kind of a small "RSE" in the form of the confrontation with Moandar. I know it isn't the end of it, but it does have an impact on things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  07:13:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

Oh, and Wooley, Azure Bonds has kind of a small "RSE" in the form of the confrontation with Moandar. I know it isn't the end of it, but it does have an impact on things.

Honestly, nothing in that book is of a large enough scale to be called an RSE. The two largest events were the deaths of Moander and Mist. Mist fell on a single city and destroyed a portion of it. Moander was already reduced to next to no influence at all in the Realms. So neither death had any real impact beyond Westgate. It's simply too small to be called a Realms-Shaking Event, and barely even qualifies as a Region-Shaking Event.

Go to Top of Page

phal
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  09:15:58  Show Profile  Visit phal's Homepage Send phal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One more small vote for the original post's idea. I like it.

I've always been a sucker for a good story. My DMing and playing in the Realms and out of it has always been about telling an interesting story. The Realms is a particularly rich setting for some characters to have adventures and build memories, so we've returned there often. There's so many different things going on at once, and all for very good reasons, it's easy to play out.

I enjoy fan fiction plenty, as long as they're true to the characters and their motivations. But I enjoy stories told by the original story tellers even more. Finishing up what happened to Christie Golden's characters, or Elaine's, or even Larloch would certainly scratch that itch for me.

I probably still won't touch anything 4th edition stuff, but that's the beauty of this compromise. I wouldn't have too, and could still pick and chose what I want to use and what to ignore. Good stuff.

The threat title was very well picked. This would give me some hope . .
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  14:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

It snows on Evermeet?

Yes. From Elves of Evermeet pg. 12:- "Winter brings with it snows and chill winds."

Wouldn't that imply that Auril may have a look-in on Evermeet ... if she wanted to?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  14:53:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

quote:

quote:

It snows on Evermeet?

Wouldn't that imply that Auril may have a look-in on Evermeet ... if she wanted to?

Auril is making me angry right now in the Real World (-31 Celsius + windchill).

But for Evermeet, Auril can probably look in, but she probably doesn't have it out for the elves there I imagine (could be wrong though).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  16:55:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does snow on Evermeet, and the Evermeet novel even has a scene set in a snowy glade (the one in which Amlaruil meets Zaor, IIRC).

Evermeet might be beautiful, but it's not exactly tropical...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 Jan 2009 16:56:08
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  17:46:34  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Concerning novel events: I'd say that they don't have to happen in your gmae unless you want them to -- but you should tell the players as much beforehand.

Also, I've tried to write Realmsian fanfic, but I vastly prefer using my own characters. More famous ones might have a 'walk-on' but that's it. I know better than to mess with someone else's character...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  23:28:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

It does snow on Evermeet, and the Evermeet novel even has a scene set in a snowy glade (the one in which Amlaruil meets Zaor, IIRC).

Evermeet might be beautiful, but it's not exactly tropical...

Each season would seem to have it's own time in Evermeet, affecting its climate specific ways, as this passage from Elves of Evermeet suggests:-

"... is most accurate to say that each season is perfect, embodying the time's essence, while at the same time never growing extreme enough to become dangerous."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  01:44:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Each season would seem to have it's own time in Evermeet, affecting its climate specific ways, as this passage from Elves of Evermeet suggests:-

"... is most accurate to say that each season is perfect, embodying the time's essence, while at the same time never growing extreme enough to become dangerous."

Thanks for the information.

Go to Top of Page

Thalos_Milathriel
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  01:53:39  Show Profile  Visit Thalos_Milathriel's Homepage Send Thalos_Milathriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm all for this. Give the authors freedom to finish up storylines and characters from the 3E Realms and give Realms fans even MORE stuff to love (in time, perhaps) with 4E Realms!

Good idea Markustay!
Go to Top of Page

sneakypetev
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  09:09:23  Show Profile  Visit sneakypetev's Homepage Send sneakypetev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before 4E I played in FR and read FR novels. My group,DM, and myself did not like the changes made in FR 4E so we played 4E in Ebberon. After 5 months, we all decided we did not like 4E and now we are trying Pathfinder's 3.5 and it's campaign world. Despite my dislike for 4E and total disgust w/ FR 4E I find myself still reading FR novels( so far). Like 4E RPG I am giving 4E FR novels a fair try, besides I want to know what happened to many of the popular characters of the Realms. IMHO FR authors will do well w/ readers if they continue to write good stories whether it be in the past, present or future Realms.

"Go for the eyes boo,go for the eyes!"- Minsc
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000