Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rules and History?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  08:44:48  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

The only problem with how 4th edition 'balances' the classes where 3.5 didn't is that Paizo was able to balance them out without going to a completely new rules set. Anyway, that's why I'm going with Pathfinder and reserving 4E for games outside what I'd consider D&D.

That's very understandable, I don't think balance should be the end all be all of a game. After all, life is unfair so games should have unfair advantages and disadvantages to simulate that.

I think I am going to have to check out this Pathfinder I keep hearing about on these forums. At first I just figured it was something to counter 4th edition, but as I keep hearing favorable reviews it is worth a look. I would be most pleased to be able to dust off the numerous 3.X books I have stored. So thank you for bringing this to my attention.

~Ghost King~

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  21:25:52  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

See, I don't care what they do with 4e Realms either for the same reason... but the point is, the changes they made alienated a lot of people that WOULD continue to have something to do with the 4e Realms by shattering the Forgotten Realms, slapping together the mess they have, and presenting it with the Forgotten Realms name on it. Apparently, WotC management thinks alienation of consumers is good business.

I don't really care so much about the gaming changes because I don't know anyone willing to DM FR, so I end up DMing and I can do whatever I want with the setting. It's the change in the storyline of the novels that bothers me. The novels have been slowly drifting away from the aspects of the realms that I consider interesting and now they are getting rid of deities and powerful characters, which are some of the biggest most necessary players in the novels. By hacking out half of the powerful figures in FR, they may have made things more player friendly (maybe), but they have drastically limited their choices in novels. At first, they will have "exciting" things like cataclysms and disasters and whatnot, but eventually they will cover all of the exciting stuff, the excitement will die down, and they will have to create another disaster to fill the void. I personally liked the novels that characterized the realms more than the action and "exciting new changes" stories, so I'm a little upset that the realms that I knew and loved will be entirely different, and everything that came before is thrown out the window.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  18:24:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King
To me the climate shift was enough of a drastic change with the one-hundred year jump, although I have no idea why the Shining South or Sea of Fallen Stars was drastically changed. There was hardly any lore there to begin with...

Agreed, that's what many of us have been saying all along.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 30 Dec 2008 18:25:03
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  18:28:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While a small core of FR fanatics were alienated on the Realms-L list (for example), the great majority of D&D Fans made the switch to 3E D&D. I'd wager most FR fans either switched or started concurrent 3E games, too.

I'd like to point out to everyone that preferring a previous edition of the rules/setting does not make one a "fanatic".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 30 Dec 2008 18:29:22
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  21:42:19  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I'd like to point out to everyone that preferring a previous edition of the rules/setting does not make one a "fanatic".

Splitter.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  01:36:46  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King
I think I'm going to have to check out this Pathfinder I keep hearing about on these forums. At first I just figured it was something to counter 4th edition, but as I keep hearing favorable reviews it is worth a look. I would be most pleased to be able to dust off the numerous 3.X books I have stored. So thank you for bringing this to my attention.

~Ghost King~

It's definitely worth a look especially since it's a free download

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  21:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was interested at first, but I don't like the way its been going.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000