Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

canikoblivan
Acolyte

Turkey
43 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  17:13:55  Show Profile  Visit canikoblivan's Homepage Send canikoblivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Yay! My first official post in the novels section :)

I live in Turkey and it's really hard to get my hands on the Forgotten Realms novels as there's not much of a demand to fantasy books over here. I try to buy what I can, and so far I've managed to gather 140+ Forgotten Realms novels for my little library.

I, shamefully, admit that I haven't been able to read the Avatar Series and its sequel, The Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy. I managed get a hold on the first 4 books of the Avatar Series (the new editions), however, it's impossible to find the 5th book, Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad with a decent price tag.

Is there anyone here with an extra copy of that book around here? We can talk more details about it if you're willing to part with it. I have some extra books myself and I'm sure we can reach to an agreement over it.

I hope to see you in many other scrolls! Thanks in advance!

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  19:07:23  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Canikoblivan, welcome to Candlekeep!

Try looking on Amazon or EBay or [fillInYourFavouriteTradingPlace], especially on the
.com sites - there are usually a few offers willing to ship international.

P.S.: Nice Avatar you chose

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 14 Dec 2008 19:07:45
Go to Top of Page

canikoblivan
Acolyte

Turkey
43 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  19:12:16  Show Profile  Visit canikoblivan's Homepage Send canikoblivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Braveheart, I've been looking for the 5th book for a while now, including on those sites you've mentioned. I've never come across that novel in stock on any Amazon sites so far, occasionally someone at eBay lists it but along with an outrageous price :(.

Well, I wanted to try my luck here too, who knows? Maybe some kind soul has an extra copy. :)

P.S. Gotta love Leevoth! :)

Edited by - canikoblivan on 14 Dec 2008 19:12:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2008 :  23:30:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We also, occasionally, have scribes who come to Candlekeep looking to sell some, or all, of their FR novel collections for various reasons. So long as you check-in every now and then, you may learn of a coming sale which includes the novels you're looking for.

And, if online purchasing isn't a problem for you, I'd recommend sites like nobleknight.com, which offer second-hand copies of many FR novels for reasonable prices [in US$].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

canikoblivan
Acolyte

Turkey
43 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  06:47:06  Show Profile  Visit canikoblivan's Homepage Send canikoblivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Sage, I've made some purchases off nobleknight and also hitpointe sites before, but that 5th book eludes me all the time

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes open for it here too
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  14:40:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by canikoblivan

I, shamefully, admit that I haven't been able to read the Avatar Series and its sequel, The Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy. I managed get a hold on the first 4 books of the Avatar Series (the new editions), however, it's impossible to find the 5th book, Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad with a decent price tag.

I just would like to point out that the Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy isn't a sequel of the Avatar Series--the books take place at around the same time, and you can read the SotA trilogy without having even touched the Avatar series. I know that, because that's what I did.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

canikoblivan
Acolyte

Turkey
43 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  22:43:25  Show Profile  Visit canikoblivan's Homepage Send canikoblivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

I just would like to point out that the Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy isn't a sequel of the Avatar Series--the books take place at around the same time, and you can read the SotA trilogy without having even touched the Avatar series. I know that, because that's what I did.

Ahh, thanks a lot for the info, although I have to find the 1st and the 3rd books of the SotA trilogy before I can do that. My priority was getting the 5th book of the Avatar series.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  01:36:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ahh, thanks a lot for the info, although I have to find the 1st and the 3rd books of the SotA trilogy before I can do that.

You're welcome; I hope you find the books you want.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  02:39:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed an odd phenemenon, myself, with particular Realms novels.

I've replaced most of my Realms novels without too much difficulty. There are a couple that it's taken longer to get my hands on, but most of them were easy to replace. I got most of them off of eBay.

But not the Rogue Dragons trilogy. For some reason, it just doesn't seem to pop up on eBay all that oft. When it does, it's usually one or two of the books, but not all three.

I finally went to Amazon to get them. But it just seems odd to me that those books, which are relatively recent and still available new, almost never turn up on eBay.

The Cormyr books don't seem to show up there very often, either. And it took me a while to find the last Pools novel...

Of course, there were also a couple of modules that never turned up on eBay... until I got them elsewhere. And then they started showing up on eBay for a much more reasonable price!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  20:52:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is really odd, especially since the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy isn't even that old, as far as Realms books go.

Go to Top of Page

Teloriun
Acolyte

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  11:33:11  Show Profile  Visit Teloriun's Homepage Send Teloriun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally, i would say thanks for the nobleknight site...but seeing as i've just bought 11 books from there, myabe not, lol.

I can't believe how difficult it is to get hold of decent copies (ie. near new / mint) of the FR novels... :(
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  19:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're looking for books and can't find them on Amazon or Ebay, try the used book sites like www.alibris.com or www.abebooks.com. You might find the prices better there -- many dealers aren't that familiar with the genre fantasy and tend to average out their prices rather than cull out the rarer titles.

http://www.bookfinder.com/ will search a number of sites and you can even add details like you only want dealers who ship to Turkey.

Trust me, there are many fabulous ways to add to your collection. My biggest problem is expanding the bookshelves!

Best wishes,
Rosemary

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Teloriun
Acolyte

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  13:43:11  Show Profile  Visit Teloriun's Homepage Send Teloriun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
re: Bookfinder - That's a fabulous site! I've managed to get hold of two books from Lost Empires at a price than wont break the bank. Thanks again :D
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  13:47:25  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rosemary!
I've tagged this sites as my favorites..

(Even so... Crucible is very expensive on them.. And the shipping rate worst than Amazon... but probably i'll use this sites on the near future)

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

canikoblivan
Acolyte

Turkey
43 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  14:25:34  Show Profile  Visit canikoblivan's Homepage Send canikoblivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Rosemary! I added both sites to my favourites and will definitley use them in my future purchases. Oh, and the great news is I finally found a copy of Crucible in perfect condition and for a ridicilously low price on eBay among several other novels.

There are still some novels that I'm missing but I'm thinking of hunting them when I come back from my military service of 6 months, starting this August :(. Anyways, thanks to everyone who tried to help me out :)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  02:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are all very welcome. I didn't write an encyclopedia on collectible children's books for nothing :)

Remember sites like bookfinder.com aren't one set shipping price -- it's searching many different dealers on the web and the results of a search can be very different a week, a month, or a year from now. On sites like alibris.com and abebooks.com, you can also create "want" lists. The site will email you when a book comes available. Then you decide whether or not it's a price that you want to pay.

Obviously, book collecting is one of my passions! Happy to introduce others to the addiction....uh...hobby.

(Echoes of wild laughter)

Rosemary

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  20:30:46  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Merhaba canikoblivan!

I don't have much to add other than to say hello.
Go to Top of Page

canikoblivan
Acolyte

Turkey
43 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  16:11:56  Show Profile  Visit canikoblivan's Homepage Send canikoblivan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sana da merhaba DragonReader (Hello to you as well :))

It's so nice to see a Turkish word here :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000