Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Haunted house (3.5 ghosts)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kairin
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  20:17:44  Show Profile  Visit Kairin's Homepage Send Kairin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have an idea about a haunting problem to put my players through. I read the MM about getting rid of ghosts for good. The thing is, my players created this ghost by murdering a guy and stealing his house. The suggested solution to end a haunting once and for all would be for them to turn themselves in... What would you suggest they do to fix it? It would be a fun "sidequest", but I can't introduce it if I'm not sure what to do about it...

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  20:45:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let them turn themselves in. They get sentenced, sent to jail... And then something happens to make them get back out. Perhaps a high-ranking official decides to send them up against some other threat, as a way to avoid spending more time in jail. Perhaps a fellow prisoner is someone who is falsely imprisoned, and needs to get out to prove it and/or to prevent something bad from happening. Perhaps one or more of their fellow prisoners is someone who deserves serious jail-time, like someone who brutally murders others for sport, and this person (or these people) wind up being part of a mass jailbreak that happens shortly after the PCs arive...

Use their actions as a way to throw more hooks and adventures their way.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kairin
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  20:49:31  Show Profile  Visit Kairin's Homepage Send Kairin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no way they are turning themselves in :) I run a evil game. Perhaps the ghost would find someone to complain to. But I rather give them a chance to shut him up first.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  22:42:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh. In that case, I guess get a high-level cleric to come in and try to get rid of the ghost. It's referenced oft enough in the lore, but I don't know that the rules cover something like that.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  00:10:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In which case, the cleric will probably learn the truth and go to turn them in, and then they will have to kill him to shut him up.

Thus creating another ghost, in a never-ending cycle of punishment (as it should be).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Thalos_Milathriel
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  02:02:40  Show Profile  Visit Thalos_Milathriel's Homepage Send Thalos_Milathriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great idea Markustay.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  02:48:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

In which case, the cleric will probably learn the truth and go to turn them in, and then they will have to kill him to shut him up.

Thus creating another ghost, in a never-ending cycle of punishment (as it should be).

It depends on the cleric. A neutral cleric, for example, might accept a healthy bribe to stay quiet.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  04:05:01  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

It depends on the cleric. A neutral cleric, for example, might accept a healthy bribe to stay quiet.

Or an evil cleric could help chain the ghost as a guardian for the party...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  12:28:28  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

How could he do that? That sounds cool.
Go to Top of Page

Kairin
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  13:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Kairin's Homepage Send Kairin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, if an evil cleric boosted his caster level enough he could rebuke the ghost and take it with him I suppose. And the evil party would have to help the evil cleric with something in return. Another thought, how does dimensional lock affect a ghost?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  01:41:05  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

How could he do that? That sounds cool.

Depending on the Cleric's level, he could force the ghost to his service. I guess there are several ways:

Simple Controlling of Undead

Perhaps a created spell that would force the ghost to be a guardian of the holder of a particular enchanted item...or simply the guardian of the location it already guards; but beholden to the orders of someone using a particular magical item created by the cleric that binds its will.

I'm not sure of the party's level, but they may be able to do it on their own by researching a spell and then binding the target ghost in some way.

Just some thoughts. DM discretion is always best...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000