Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 4e Cormyrian Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wannabesuperman
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  01:27:30  Show Profile  Visit wannabesuperman's Homepage Send wannabesuperman a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After reading through the 4e FRCG, I decided to start my group in a caravan headed to Cormyr, which is where they will base most of their future adventures, I hope.

I plopped them into Loudwater for the first adventure, mostly as written in the guide, though some of the NPCs are slightly adjusted. Curuvar is a Paragon-level War Wizard stationed in the city, and patrols of Purple Dragons occasionally go as far northwest as Loudwater.

The High Moors "belong" to Cormyr, and Evereska lies on Cormyr's expanded border.

The goblins that attack Loudwater in the FRCG are actually led by a "shaman" nick-named Sanky that was taught by Curuvar. The idea was that if the War Wizards could train one loyal goblin, perhaps he could be a powerful asset in bringing the goblins under one banner, much like Obould did with the orcs.

Curuvar's niece, Denise (heh), grew up with Sanky and realized that the "wizardly" training was driving him insane. She led the party to the barrow where she helped eradicate the goblins, then joined them as a "follower" of sorts, turning her back on Loudwater for a new start elsewhere.

So, this is how we started our new campaign, which promises to be much different than our 3e game of ridiculously powerful PCs. Anyone else working with Loudwater?

"What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and The American Way?" --Clark Kent, Daily Planet. January 2001

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  03:56:47  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-As long as you say, at some point, "By Mystra's lost spell!", or whatever it was...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  04:10:28  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am working on running a variant to the start up adventure. the area as a whole is interesting enough. Will probably change up/ add to the local NPC's though
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  11:20:11  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought of placing Loudwater in Shadowdale and rename it to Freedale (as in the AD&D starters set), besides that using it as written.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  11:23:56  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm starting up a Cormyr 4E campaign as well actually. Starting it with a bandit attack on a outpost I'm placing on the Way of the Dragon and then King Foril sends the party to Loudwater (who will do that adventure) who will then go do the Scepter Tower of Spellguard adventure in order to find an answer for a question for the King 9something along the lines of "what is a current threat to his throne?" or somesuch.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  11:25:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I'm starting up a Cormyr 4E campaign as well actually. Starting it with a bandit attack on a outpost I'm placing on the Way of the Dragon and then King Foril sends the party to Loudwater (who will do that adventure) who will then go do the Scepter Tower of Spellguard adventure in order to find an answer for a question for the King 9something along the lines of "what is a current threat to his throne?" or somesuch.

This in turn will lead the party joining the Purple Dragons/War Wizards (dependant on the character for appropriate Paragon Path) - which is their plan.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  14:22:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-As long as you say, at some point, "By Mystra's lost spell!", or whatever it was...

Yes, no point in using Curuvar if you don't have him say that.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  17:12:25  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Exactly my thoughts. That's the only thing that, after reading his little blurb and anything, makes him stand out to me, as opposed to the hundreds of other "mundane" magicians out there.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

wannabesuperman
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  01:53:01  Show Profile  Visit wannabesuperman's Homepage Send wannabesuperman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, nobody called me out for misspelling "Cormyrean" which is surprising. I thought for sure someone would have a fit about it. Oh well.

As for Curuvar, he does indeed use that endearing phrase, and at least one player filed that knowledge away for later use.

After leaving Loudwater, the PCs make their way through Llorkh to "Talon Pass" or whatever you prefer to call it. When they finish up there, they'll be heading north to Spellguard. I hope to have them return here later in the campaign when the Crown is seeking prophetic insight, but we'll have to wait a bit to see how that goes.

The Menace of the Icy Tower mini-adventure was a great addition, and it allowed me to plant the seeds for the ancient Netherese city of Karse. That will probably be their only lead when they discover that the way to break the Shades' power can be found in their long-buried past.

"What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and The American Way?" --Clark Kent, Daily Planet. January 2001
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  02:27:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I prefer "Trickster's Hairy Toes!" myself.

BTW, I just posted a blank version of the Cormyr Map for anyone who wants to do the 4e converting.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Nov 2008 02:29:04
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  04:20:23  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

I prefer "Trickster's Hairy Toes!" myself.

BTW, I just posted a blank version of the Cormyr Map for anyone who wants to do the 4e converting.

Don't we already have a great 4E Map of Cormyr from Brian? Can we post the map from dragon 365 here?

Edited by - scererar on 21 Nov 2008 04:23:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  06:17:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wannabesuperman

First off, nobody called me out for misspelling "Cormyrean" which is surprising. I thought for sure someone would have a fit about it. Oh well.

I only comment on typos when they are amusing. Like once, back in 2004*, when Sage said something about the D20 Modron SRD.

*I was looking for an example, and that was the first I found -- other than my own "sack of completeness" typo.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Nov 2008 06:18:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  06:23:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But there really is a D20 Modron SRD. How else do you think all those modrons organise for the Great March, without all the rules and stats that make up their version of the SRD?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

wannabesuperman
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  03:02:27  Show Profile  Visit wannabesuperman's Homepage Send wannabesuperman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update: In last night's game, the players waded through a bunch of Kobolds, trying desperately to get to the BBEG before next week's holiday break. It didn't happen. I'm having tons of fun just streaming Kobold fights together, and the Needlefang Drake Swarm is so much fun it's not fair.

The PCs have conscripted an Orc that they "saved" from the Kobolds, and by "saved" I mean "taken prisoner." This is where the campaign is tangent to the Kingdom of Many-Arrows. Who knows if it'll ever matter, but I'm going to try to bring it full-circle at some point.

The only problem is that it'll be two weeks before we play again.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000