Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Did you subscribe to DDI ?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  15:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Problem if I subscribe is that I won't be able to acccess it at work cause wizards is blocked. It'd be nice to check out some articles and do other DDI stuff while on my lunch or coffee break.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  15:45:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Nope.

-Not that I know of at least. I was only charged $59.00 for the year subscription.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  15:52:01  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you need the yearly subscription to go retro or can you do so withthe monthly?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  16:02:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

So you need the yearly subscription to go retro or can you do so withthe monthly?

-I have no clue about the monthly. I can say with the yearly, I got everything.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  20:15:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a surprise Brimmy, I remember reading about the subscription that it was only good for the period of time that you subscribed for.

* Just checked here. Can you confirm that you have all the articles, Brimmy?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  01:54:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, for now they're letting subscribers have the back issues, too--someone from WotC confirmed it a couple of months ago.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  04:13:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

That's a surprise Brimmy, I remember reading about the subscription that it was only good for the period of time that you subscribed for.

* Just checked here. Can you confirm that you have all the articles, Brimmy?

-Yep got them all.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  04:14:41  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Yeah, for now they're letting subscribers have the back issues, too--someone from WotC confirmed it a couple of months ago.

-Thanks, I didnt know that.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  23:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  23:42:34  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're welcome.

-Brian used your name in the Sharn Article, Lyrna of Clan Fathomlin of Miryeritar.

-Congrats and Happy Birthday.

BRIMMY

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  00:06:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that she's been 'canonized', does that mean she's a Saint now?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  13:06:10  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice.

Now, when we going to get back to pre-Spellplague Realmslore? Cause, you know, that'd make me subscribe.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  22:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

You're welcome.

-Brian used your name in the Sharn Article, Lyrna of Clan Fathomlin of Miryeritar.

-Congrats and Happy Birthday.

BRIMMY

Wow, I don't know what to say. That was very kind of Brian.

Thanks for the kind wishes, too.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Now that she's been 'canonized', does that mean she's a Saint now?

Don't know about that.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 09 Mar 2009 22:25:29
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  10:59:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear you download the Character Creator to your PC when you subscribe and then with the subscription you get about 5 update downloads per month for this (which they come up with an update every time a new class/power/feat or some such comes out in a Dragon article or whenever a new book such as Martial Power comes out) correct?

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  01:17:13  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hear you download the Character Creator to your PC when you subscribe and then with the subscription you get about 5 update downloads per month for this (which they come up with an update every time a new class/power/feat or some such comes out in a Dragon article or whenever a new book such as Martial Power comes out) correct?

At first I was concerned about the 5 per month update. However, I have not had to update but once so far. Regardless, 5 times per month gives over one update per week. I don't see a need for that many nor do I see getting behind on the most updated information
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  11:23:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds good then.

Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  16:58:42  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unless there's a particular need to patch a bug, the program only gets updated once a month with all the new content from that month. Though if you're me, 5 downloads means you have it installed on both your desktop and laptop machines.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  17:05:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluenose

Though if you're me, 5 downloads means you have it installed on both your desktop and laptop machines.

Aha, good point there. Makes sense. A fair way to allow you to be able to have it in a number of locations without paying twice.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  02:09:12  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is kind of interesting. The newest update to the Compendium has added a Deities tab. And when you click on one of the FR deities who only appeared in the table or in another brief form, what pops up is a note that says "This deity has not yet been detailed."

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  02:17:38  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

This is kind of interesting. The newest update to the Compendium has added a Deities tab. And when you click on one of the FR deities who only appeared in the table or in another brief form, what pops up is a note that says "This deity has not yet been detailed."

many in the character builder is the same
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  03:26:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats nice. I noticed all of the Rulers of the Nine Hells were included, along with some Primordials.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  10:50:01  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too many things that were hyped are missing. Oy yoy yoy!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  04:47:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With Diablo III coming out, I have MUCH better things to spend a monthly stipend on.

WITHOUT having to buy a boatload of new rulebooks every five years or so.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Mar 2009 04:49:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  07:09:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

With Diablo III coming out, I have MUCH better things to spend a monthly stipend on.

WITHOUT having to buy a boatload of new rulebooks every five years or so.

I think you're over-exaggerating, my friend...

...It's every three years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Mar 2009 07:10:02
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  18:13:20  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diablo III? Jeez. Overhyped!

Now, Star Wars: The Old Republic? Woohoo! That's a game right there.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  11:50:26  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean its not already Diablo 8????

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  14:30:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope.

Blizzard spends years on a game because they want it perfect. They hire hundreds of programmers and playtesters and artists...

Its really amazing to watch the whole thing unfold - they keep their customers informed throughout the entire production cycle, and listen to all the feedback... sort of what Paizo does.

Can you just imagine what sort of game a company would produce if they didn't bother to do all that?

You might as well lock a half-dozen guys up in a little room by themselves and have them create in a vacuum.....

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  15:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is drifting a little, isn't it?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  16:42:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nope.

Blizzard spends years on a game because they want it perfect. They hire hundreds of programmers and playtesters and artists...

Its really amazing to watch the whole thing unfold - they keep their customers informed throughout the entire production cycle, and listen to all the feedback... sort of what Paizo does.

Can you just imagine what sort of game a company would produce if they didn't bother to do all that?

You might as well lock a half-dozen guys up in a little room by themselves and have them create in a vacuum.....

This makes me think of Starcraft: Ghost....so much work wasted as it was never released...

and on topic, I imagine the PH2 stuff is already on DDI right?

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  19:55:41  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br
I imagine the PH2 stuff is already on DDI right?

Sure is, I'm doing some stuff with it right now. I need to send them an errata note, though--I noticed that Battle Runner, a sixth level utility Ranger Exploit from Martial Power, is listed in the Compendium as "Blade Runner," which is pretty hilarious.

I always said that, for me, the magazines make it worth the subscription price all by themselves (especially now that there'll be new monthly Realms content starting in May), and I would never have picked up this hobby in the first place if I didn't love paging through rule books, but I must admit that there are times when the Compendium is an easier route than going through eleven hardcover manuals and all the Dragon .pdfs looking for all the options and possibilities in a given situation!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000