Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Blackstaff Tower - Prologue & Chapters 1 - 9
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  08:56:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Blackstaff Tower (Book 1 of Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep), by Steven Schend. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 1 - 9 herein.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Aug 2010 05:41:52

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  20:58:47  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Blackstaff Tower (Book 1 of Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep), by Steven Schend. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 1 - 9 herein.

Thank you for setting these up, Sage; I wasn't sure if it would be too pushy to make these myself.

Now I'll get out of the way and let folks talk about the book (hopefully).

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  00:48:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye. With Alaundo currently absent from these halls, I thought it best to tackle this myself, rather than await his return.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  14:06:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'll start it off. I don't want to get too into it right now though (since I'm posting from work and can't remember specific chapters off the top of my head).

As I stated in my review, I like how Stephen bridged the 100 gap throughout the book. It's noticeable from the beginning of the story with Samark passing through the tomb to the secret library of the Blackstaff, with the statues his predecessors lining the way. Also Renear's account of the city taking us down familiar areas while showing how they changed. And, of course, Erla patting Mirt's statue while looking for an 'adventurer' was a nice sentimental touch.

The only complaint I had in the early part of the book was when Renear overheard his father's conspiracy. I realize his growth through the novel from a young wastrel to the bold ally of the Blackstaff was half the story, I just felt his reaction was a little too blase. Then, he never mentions overhearing the conversation even when everything starts to happen. I realize some of it's political maneuvering against his father, but it didn't feel too heroic to me.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  04:06:46  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel somewhat impolite after having first asked that these threads be created, then to be so late in my replying to them.

Initially I intended to read along with all the others, however given how far along I am and how long I have wanted to see this book I have decided to instead finish it entirely tonight, and then comment on individual chapters thereafter.

Rest assured that due diligence on my part will prevent me from revealing or referencing any facts outside of the respective chapters in which they first appear.

Edited by - The Simbul on 12 Sep 2008 04:07:45
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  15:08:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only had time to read the Prologue so far. But from just that limited bit, I can tell this will be a grand tale indeed.

Heh. I already miss Samark. I know he was only around for a few pages, but I immediately felt like I wanted to learn more about him. And I've already recorded the titles of those tomes he found while exploring the tomb [they'll be added to the list of those from Blackstaff]. I wouldn't mind learning a little more about each of them as well.

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Sep 2008 15:09:49
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  17:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've only had time to read the Prologue so far. But from just that limited bit, I can tell this will be a grand tale indeed.

Heh. I already miss Samark. I know he was only around for a few pages, but I immediately felt like I wanted to learn more about him. And I've already recorded the titles of those tomes he found while exploring the tomb [they'll be added to the list of those from Blackstaff]. I wouldn't mind learning a little more about each of them as well.

Heh. You've got Yoda into my head this morning, Sage. "You will be....." (re: both things about which you want to learn more)

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  21:50:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing like starting off with a bang!! Hello Samark, nice to meet the current Blackstaff! Goodbye Samark we knew you too little! Cant wait to see why the baddies wanted the books as well as well as killing Samark.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2008 :  15:07:04  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good start indeed! But, good job making me feel quite the cad Steven, I was just starting to think "I don't really care much for Foxhal", then Zip! a crossbow bolt to the throat. That was actually a very well written death scene and you did a good job writing it from the dying person's perspective.
I am enjoy picking up all the bits of lore you have strewn all about yuor tale, and I imagine it will be even more fun the second time around seeing what I missed the first time!

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  20:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just received this novel and I've not read it yet.
I'd just like to know where does the novel take place. Only in Waterdeep?
That's just to fill the "Areas descriptions in novels" thread (here)

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  21:21:33  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

It takes place almost exclusively in Waterdeep with two exceptions--the characters briefly pop up to an isolated mansion/estate far north of Waterdeep and to the small woods* I put outside of Waterdeep's northern gates (from the first Blackstaff novel).

Steven

* Frightfully embarrassing but I can't remember either the name of the mansion that Renaer's great-uncle built or the woods that were in Chapter 1 of Blackstaff..... Getting old....brain seizing up....

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2008 :  21:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

I feel somewhat impolite after having first asked that these threads be created, then to be so late in my replying to them.

Initially I intended to read along with all the others, however given how far along I am and how long I have wanted to see this book I have decided to instead finish it entirely tonight, and then comment on individual chapters thereafter.

Rest assured that due diligence on my part will prevent me from revealing or referencing any facts outside of the respective chapters in which they first appear.

So what'd you think (or are you still reading)? Inquiring minds asked me to ask you this.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  04:08:50  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

It takes place almost exclusively in Waterdeep with two exceptions--the characters briefly pop up to an isolated mansion/estate far north of Waterdeep and to the small woods* I put outside of Waterdeep's northern gates (from the first Blackstaff novel).

Steven

* Frightfully embarrassing but I can't remember either the name of the mansion that Renaer's great-uncle built or the woods that were in Chapter 1 of Blackstaff..... Getting old....brain seizing up....

Thanks a lot Steven. I'm honored you answered it.
And I feel the fact that you do not rememember some names from your own story quite funny !

You write about Blackstaff novel. Do you sincerely recommend to read this one before reading B. Tower ?
I believe you were already asked about it (and I might be the one who already asked it !)

Read you soon. (here and/or in the Blackstaff novels !)

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  05:29:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say that you can read Blackstaff Tower without having read Blackstaff, but you'd have a greater understanding of some things if you read Blackstaff first.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  05:53:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd say that you can read Blackstaff Tower without having read Blackstaff, but you'd have a greater understanding of some things if you read Blackstaff first.
Agreed. Blackstaff Tower works well as a stand-alone novel. But Steven's managed to establish enough background within the book so that readers of Blackstaff can enjoy this tale as a "continuation" [of sorts] of some previous events.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  13:19:00  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Agreed. Blackstaff Tower works well as a stand-alone novel. But Steven's managed to establish enough background within the book so that readers of Blackstaff can enjoy this tale as a "continuation" [of sorts] of some previous events.

I agree, but I am glad I read the other first.

But I think this book could easily be compared to a Blackstaff: The Next Generation, and anyone could jump in on the story with Blackstaff Tower.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2008 :  20:27:01  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One more time, I thank you a lot fellow Keepers

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  15:22:53  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanna say it hurts my brain when that crazy woman talks.....can't imagine how it felt for Mr.Schend to write it.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  15:33:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Just wanna say it hurts my brain when that crazy woman talks.....can't imagine how it felt for Mr.Schend to write it.

Yes I second that!

Major props to your editor Steven!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  21:13:55  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

It wasn't too hard. Just limit myself to three-four words per Blackstaff spirit inside her and roll a d6 to see who got prominence for that moment, adjust eye color, and let the cameras roll.

Steven
who also wants to give more props to his editor as well

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  01:58:00  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
about halfway through this novel. As always, I love anything pertaining to Waterdeep. I would have liked to have more information on Samark, but I like the way Steven worked the various blackstaff spirits into the Heir's speech, as well as their appearances in Black staff tower.

I might be getting out of chapter order for this thread, but will we know more of the Nameless Haunt? Additionally, I thought it excellent that Azuredge makes an entrance.

Edited by - scererar on 22 Dec 2008 01:59:39
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  23:46:20  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

about halfway through this novel. As always, I love anything pertaining to Waterdeep. I would have liked to have more information on Samark, but I like the way Steven worked the various blackstaff spirits into the Heir's speech, as well as their appearances in Black staff tower.

I might be getting out of chapter order for this thread, but will we know more of the Nameless Haunt? Additionally, I thought it excellent that Azuredge makes an entrance.

I don't know if WotC will let me tell more stories with the Haunt or not; it'd be fun, but he's their character, so it's their call.

And I had to make sure Azuredge was still a part of Realmslore after the 105-year-jump. The link between the axe and the Wardragons, honestly, just popped out as I was writing--one of those nice syncrhonicites of creation that happen without forethought and they work.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  14:59:57  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally found a copy of this. I've read thru the first 9 chapters and am really enjoying this. Great work Steven!

I'm glad that I read "Blackstaff" first. And I also agree that the 100 year jump was handled perfectly in this novel. All the characters are well written. I really like the characterization of Renaer - A new hero for a new time - as well as the other characters. Can't wait to see how the story unfolds.

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Steffen Farslayer
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2009 :  20:54:41  Show Profile  Visit Steffen Farslayer's Homepage Send Steffen Farslayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just started this book and it certainly started with a bang. I echo everyone's comments about Samark, I would like to find out more about him.

I have not read Blackstaff yet so I hope that does not cause me any problems with any references. I like how each post Spell Plague book gives us a little more insight into what happened and how Waterdeep was effected.

Hats off to you Steven, great work!

"It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die." - The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  16:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen Farslayer

I just started this book and it certainly started with a bang. I echo everyone's comments about Samark, I would like to find out more about him.

I have not read Blackstaff yet so I hope that does not cause me any problems with any references. I like how each post Spell Plague book gives us a little more insight into what happened and how Waterdeep was effected.

Well, I hope that BT works for you, Steffen, without having read its predecessor first. I'll be curious to hear your take on the rest of the book.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steffen Farslayer
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2009 :  00:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Steffen Farslayer's Homepage Send Steffen Farslayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Steffen Farslayer

Well, I hope that BT works for you, Steffen, without having read its predecessor first. I'll be curious to hear your take on the rest of the book.

Steven

I finished it and thought it was fantastic. There were a few references that I did not catch due to not reading Blackstaff, but actually think it may work out to my favor. It will make reading it more interesting know some of the future events.

"It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die." - The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  04:42:20  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow am I late to this party or what?

Just wanted to say, I know this sounds bad, but as much as I enjoyed Blackstaff, I think I'm enjoying this book a bit more. There was an air of finality about Blackstaff and a lot of other Realms novels written at that time, that had me both interested and dreading the end of that book. Here, I'm sitting back and enjoying the ride.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  05:11:12  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well we never stopped the party, even when you went on walkabout.

We knew you'd be back and wanted a party to be going on when you arrived...so we just kept it going and going........if I were you I'd try those keys to the CDG's.....maybe we changed the locks?

And this was a quite enjoyable read! Typical Schend

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  05:17:03  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

We knew you'd be back and wanted a party to be going on when you arrived...so we just kept it going and going........if I were you I'd try those keys to the CDG's.....maybe we changed the locks?

I'm pretty sure you guys swapped my robes out, because I know these fit when I left.

Plus I had a sticky bun hidden under the bed in my cell, and it's gone. I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm just saying . . .

Back to reading!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  15:06:33  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

I'm pretty sure you guys swapped my robes out, because I know these fit when I left.

Plus I had a sticky bun hidden under the bed in my cell, and it's gone. I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm just saying . . .

Back to reading!

and that was Wooly that out that pane of Glasssteel in your privvy....

Seeing this scroll resurected makes me miss Steven's realms work.....man we need another realms novel penned by him.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  18:16:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

Back to reading!

and that was Wooly that out that pane of Glasssteel in your privvy....

Seeing this scroll resurected makes me miss Steven's realms work.....man we need another realms novel penned by him.

Shhhh, don't tell him that! He might go looking for anything else I might have done. Which I wouldn't have done, of course. Nope, not me. *looks innocent*

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000