Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Do female dwarves have a beard?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  17:57:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...And gnomes all sound like Gilbert Gottfried. That's the real reason they're in decline.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  03:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMC, in order to avoid having female dwarves have to shave constantly, I have dwarven beards grow much more slowly than humans' do. They get a two week shadow, as it were. I figure this can be justified by their long lifespans relative to humans.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  04:07:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have NO problem with female Dwarves having beards - they are suppose to be an Alien race, aren't they?

I think the beard thing is the very least thing that could be done to differentiate them from 'short humans'.

I'd love to see a setting, IG or novel, that takes this MUCH further, with different substances being toxic, intoxicating, or hallucinagenic, and perhaps even special diseases that only effect a single race.

The fact that Dwarven women had beards and the tips of Elves ears are errogenous zones in FR are a good start, but I'd like to see much more done to make me feel like these other standard fantasy races are more then "funny-looking humans".

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Aug 2008 04:07:42
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  09:36:23  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'd love to see a setting, IG or novel, that takes this MUCH further, with different substances being toxic, intoxicating, or hallucinagenic, and perhaps even special diseases that only effect a single race.

In my own setting dwarves have more in common with ants and bees than with humans. The majority are infertile and are fiercely loyal to the clan elders, the fertile dwarves that ensure the clan survives. This idea, for me, explains the observation that the dwarves that are often seen are hard working and devoted to their tasks.

With elves, they are more akin to Tolkien's ideal. They are partly spirit, partly mortal and instead of having noticable ears they have auras. Their spirit nature makes them more psychic, so they can sense danger and is the reason why humans believe them to have good eyesight.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Leon_Stryfe
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  05:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Leon_Stryfe's Homepage Send Leon_Stryfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yuen

quote:
Originally posted by Leon_Stryfe

Also, while I don't have it on me (I'll have to check and report my findings Monday), I don't recall the females being bearded in the Demihuman Deities 2nd Ed. supplement.

yes they are. The priestesses of Marthammor Duin, Deep Duerra, Berronar Truesilver and Haela Brightaxe are all bearded, though much less than their male counterparts. The only beardless one is the priestess of Sharindlar.

Still, I think it looks kinda wrong to put a beard on women.

Yeah, they totally do. However, I did find a few of them to be attractive regardless. Not sure if that says something about me, or if the artist was that good...

You ask me what I crave above all things? Knowledge.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  16:59:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

In my own setting dwarves have more in common with ants and bees than with humans.

They make a satisfying splatter when stepped on?

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  17:48:15  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

They make a satisfying splatter when stepped on?

Gosh, you're on form, sir. It must be the thought of your impending nuptials.

Back on to topic (sort of), I would say that they do indeed make a satisfying splatter but unlike ants and bees a dead dwarf can feed a family for a week.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  19:04:04  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

In my own setting dwarves have more in common with ants and bees than with humans. The majority are infertile and are fiercely loyal to the clan elders, the fertile dwarves that ensure the clan survives. This idea, for me, explains the observation that the dwarves that are often seen are hard working and devoted to their tasks.

With elves, they are more akin to Tolkien's ideal. They are partly spirit, partly mortal and instead of having noticable ears they have auras. Their spirit nature makes them more psychic, so they can sense danger and is the reason why humans believe them to have good eyesight.

To be on topic, do your "queen" dwarves have beards?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  20:04:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. In regards to this:

quote:

Ed's original Realms, Markustay, have all of these elements. Most of them have crept into print, one way or another, down the years, despite TSR's (and WotC's) commercial needs, Codes of Ethics or Conduct, other designers' ideas or prejudices, and so on.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  03:34:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. In regards to this:

quote:

Ed's original Realms, Markustay, have all of these elements. Most of them have crept into print, one way or another, down the years, despite TSR's (and WotC's) commercial needs, Codes of Ethics or Conduct, other designers' ideas or prejudices, and so on.
love,
THO

I was actually thinking of something similar to this when I wrote up one of my Lords of Waterdeep. I mention "the Sunfall Conspiracy, a plot that would have slain many elves and brought ruination to the rest." I never added any detail to it (it wasn't important), but I was thinking of some elven-specific disease or poison.

I'm no fan of her stuff, with a couple of exceptions, but in one of the Mercedes Lackey books I used to have, it was mentioned that caffeinated drinks had a highly intoxicating effect on elves. Drinking a couple of Cokes caused one elf to pass out, drunk. I didn't really like the execution of the idea, but I liked the idea itself of elves having very different reactions to substances that were relatively harmless for humans.

And the idea goes back much further in real-world folklore, too: faeries and cold iron.

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  12:04:49  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

If they are fertile, they don't. If they're one of the many infertile ones then they are bearded. It goes some way to explaining why most dwarves are bearded and look masculine.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  19:23:40  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd suppose it'd be up to the dwarven female's concept of beauty, just as human females have varying amounts of facial and body hair depending on their concept of beauty.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  20:10:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

I'd suppose it'd be up to the dwarven female's concept of beauty, just as human females have varying amounts of facial and body hair depending on their concept of beauty.

... And different timeframes and/or cultures have different standards, too. I was recently flipping thru an old girlie mag (one I had when I was a kid; I reacquired it for nostalgia), and I noted that the level of grooming that was acceptable for women in girlie mags in the late 70's is nowhere near the level acceptable today. Also, it is believed by many Americans that some European cultures encourage more body hair than what we Americans like.

With that in mind, it might be that dwarven women in the Great Rift are encouraged to grow beards while others aren't, or it could be that gold dwarves like hirsute females and shield dwarves don't, and so on.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  18:24:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of all this, in the campaign I ran with all Dwarf PCs, a human female NPC rogue accompanied the dwarves throughout their adventures and found a girdle of dwarvenkind, so upon donning it, I had her grow some stuble on her face. Later on, she took the PrC from Races of Stone that gives a non-dwarf dwarven traits (the PrC name escapes me at the moment and of course, the book is at home)....at which point I had her grow a bit more of a beard. The dwarf PCs kinda started to have a crush on her at that point....

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  19:08:26  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think beards on dwarven females have been played down or removed simply because a lot of people can't imagine a bearded woman as being attractive.

I'd kill for a dwarven las with some soft silky whiskers. Have me a few little ones build a forge you know the usual.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  19:46:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

If they are fertile, they don't. If they're one of the many infertile ones then they are bearded. It goes some way to explaining why most dwarves are bearded and look masculine.

This is very good - it ties in nicely with my blaming the Thunder blessing for the 'new generation' of female Dwarves having a much lower chance of having facial hair then preceeding generations.

It seems Moradin "ramped up the Estrogen" with his blessing.

...or lowered the Testosterone... or both.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Sep 2008 19:47:27
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2008 :  18:15:31  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My FRPG just showed up, and naturally, insight into this crucial issue is the first thing I checked for!

So, from the "Descriptions and Homelands" section for Dwarves:

quote:
Unlike their northern kin, gold dwarves have dark skin, deeply tanned to dark brown. They wear their black to dark brown hair long, and males (and rarely females) sport long beards, carefully oiled and groomed. --p. 14

There's nothing in the stuff about shield dwarves one way or t'other.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Leon_Stryfe
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  03:50:36  Show Profile  Visit Leon_Stryfe's Homepage Send Leon_Stryfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked the old Gray Box a day or two ago, and it said most of the females kept themselves clean-shaven.

You ask me what I crave above all things? Knowledge.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2008 :  18:21:12  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think in Demihuman Deities there is a picture of the Dwarven pantheon with at least one of the dwarven goddesses sporting a very prominent beard.

Yes, just double checked, it's Haela Brightaxe, p.51

Also Berronar Truesilver p. 79
and Sharindlar p. 83

All with big bushy beards!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page