Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hullack Forest lore? (Now with summary)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  20:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Since it seems I'm going to need to deal with this area in my new campaign I'm looking to figure out what's been going on there. Where should I be looking, beyond the Cormyr, Volo's Guide to Cormyr and assorted campaign sets. Judging from the "Grand History" there seems to have been a lot of action there in late 3e that I'm just not up to speed with.

Edited by - Colman on 13 Aug 2008 20:03:23

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  21:30:54  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How far back do you want to go?

There is Lore in earlier edition products (Prayers from the Faithful for one, Dragon 164 for another) that you can add to your game.

Some lore here from The Wailing Years at the end of the article which brings the Hullack into 4E timeline.

Also see this thread on Cormyr gleaned from many sources, (including Ed's replies on Candlekeep), which includes info related to the Hullack.

Hope this helps

Damian
ps is it only official lore you want? I am sure one or two of us have run/are running our current campaign in and around the Hullack

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  21:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this stage I'm looking for official lore. All of it!

That thread is pure gold, thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  22:19:33  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of good sources are Crown of Fire, where you see it up close, and the Wyvernstones of Hullack write-up in Faiths and Pantheons. It features, less reliably, in Four from Cormyr and Elminster's Ecologies. The Dragon #164 reference explains the forest's name in its description of the Wyvernwater Circle.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  23:29:49  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will do a short synopsis from older products for you.

From Prayers from the Faithful (copyright 1997 TSR Inc, a division of Wizards of the Coast).

page 22: Crystrum of Tranquility:
This is a Holy Book of Eldath crafted not long after the Fall of Myth Drannor, The Eldathyn were later forced to flee over the Thunderpeaks into the Hullack and in 989DR Eldrum the Silent (Ranger) saw the Crystrum, which was in the possession of the priestess Analauthe Brenewood (she later sacrificed herself to cleanse the Wyvernwater from a rotting plague).
It passed to Shalgreth of the Wings (who tried to breed with swanmays and create winged humans). He passed it in 1112DR to the rangers' adventuring society. 'Men of the Green' (it then passed out of the Hullack).

(Speculation of my part: I assume that the Wyvernstones of the Hullack as detailed in Faiths and Pantheons are the place that the Eldathyn's fled to? I don't have Faiths and Pantheons to confirm).

From Dragon 164 Pages from the Mages part VI(copyright TSR Inc. Dec 1990).
(IDHTBIFOM to confirm but I think this was later reprinted in the 'Pages from the Mages' sourcebook from WoTC)

Hullack the Druid (of Eldath) led The Wyvernwater Circle over 200 years ago when elves ruled much of Cormyr. They dwelt on the northern shores of the Wyvernwater at its eastern end (i.e. present day Hullack Forest - my words). Hullack, is said to lie buried in a hidden magical refuge known as the Elfhold, somewhere in the depths of the forest that bears his name. The Circle were destroyed by beholders who were served by gargoyles, bugbears, and quicklings. The eye tyrants sought to establish a realm in the area.

(Some speculation on my part re Hullack the Druid. The '200 years ago' seems to be just bardic 'highnose' words given the lore about Cormyr from GHotR and C:aN. The elves had long since stopped ruling Cormyr by 1100-1150DR or so the approx date of '200' years ago. This leaves the date further in the past, by several hundred years at least, probably closer to a 1000 years?).

(Would it also make sense to link the Wyvernstones of the Hullack with the Hullack led Circle of Wyvernwater as well? So we have a series of Eldathyn druid circles using the Wyvernstones over many years as a place of worship? Is the creation/use of the Wyvernstones by Eldathyns covered in much detail in Faiths and Pantheons?).

From Code of the Harpers (copyright 1993 TSR Inc.)
page 25/26: The Wanderers of Espar (Finder Wyvernspur et al) destroy a community of killers-for-hire dedicated to Bhaal based in the Hullack c.1022 DR (or so)

Cheers

Damian
PS to the MODS - hoping I have not overstepped the Code of Conduct here by paraphrasing passges from official books?

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 12 Aug 2008 23:45:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  01:18:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

PS to the MODS - hoping I have not overstepped the Code of Conduct here by paraphrasing passges from official books?

That's fine. So long as you're only paraphrasing/summarising, and you're noting which source the information came from, the terms of the CoC are still being maintained.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Aug 2008 01:20:08
Go to Top of Page

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  07:21:11  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. I have most of those sources, except for Crown of Fire. (Which is available cheap second hand from Amazon, so it's on its way now!)
Go to Top of Page

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  19:23:13  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hullack's tomb is in the Elfmound, under the Wyvernstones of the Hullack, 200 years ago in the 3e era, according to Faiths and Pantheons.
Go to Top of Page

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  19:32:58  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's what I've found, all from sources copyright Wizards of the Coast, obviously. Source name is given first.

Hullack Forest Lore
- [ ] Countdown to the Realms 
          www.wizards.com‚Äīdefault.asp
          <http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080227a>
    - [ ] Hullack Forest - almost primeval - dark valleys and hidden
          vales - ghosts and monsters -

- [ ] Eldreth Veluuthra are a militantly xenophobic elven group
        - [ ] According to "Champions of Ruin" they view humans the way
              many humans view orcs and so on ...
    - [ ] Realm of Wailing Fog - bad things, maybe hags, bad and scary, even by the standards of the area!
- [ ] Four from Cormyr
    - [ ] Hobgoblins, ogres, oni
    - [ ] Centaurs
    - [ ] Adventuring bands hired by merchants to clear the forest of
          beasties
    - [ ] Thunder Peaks are lethal.
    - [ ] Satyrs and centaurs running around with comely woodswomen,
          not happy about encroachments.
    - [ ] The Lost - sidetrek within adventure
        - [ ] Centaurs and satyrs ensalved by hobgoblims who are using
              themto kidnap villagrs from thunderstone in on behalf of
              a fire giant leader who wants to use them to mine copper
        - [ ] Dryads and Treants
        - [ ] Hills rich in copper ore
- [ ] Prayers of the Faithful
    - [ ] Quick mention of the Eldath worshippers in HUlalck
- [ ] Faiths and Panthoens
    - [ ] Wyvernstones of Hullack
        - [ ] Used to be saced to Eldath
        - [ ] Currently used by a circle of Malar
        - [ ] Old menhirs with an elven buril chamber below.
        - [ ] Hullack was a druid of the Eldath circle
        - [ ] Malar cult opposed by elves,
        - [ ] Gates to other old eldath sites
        - [ ] Tomb of Hullack, who is a ghost.
        - [ ] Eldath's alignment has changed since he died!!!
- [ ] Cormyr
    - [ ] Monsters still roam Hullack Forest, timber and game only from
          Western edges.
    - [ ] Denser portions dangerous to all
    - [ ] Crown is busy sponsoring a clean-up.
    - [ ] INcludes ethnic cleansing of orcs and goblins
- [ ] Dragon #281 - Volo
    - [ ] Hullack hawk, a Cormyr sponsored outlaw who used to raid
          sembia when the area was still independent, laired in the
          forest.
- [ ] Candlekeep search
    - [ ] Hullack Hall, Dragon #281Candlekeep Forum - Help me start a
          civil war in Cormyr
          <http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4197&whichpage
          =2>
- [ ] Elminsters Ecologies
    - [ ] "The Settled Lands"
        - [ ] Lots of green dragons, chimerae and other monsters stalk
              it
        - [ ] RIch timber
        - [ ] termperate climate - table in Cormanthry book
        - [ ] baboons in hullack!
            - [ ] raid farms in spring
        - [ ] details of opossum and farrowdale mouse - venomous.
        - [ ] catoblepas farming due to fern found on perimeter of
              forest
    - [ ] encounter table in back of "Explorers Manual"
- [ ] Volo's Guide to Cormyr
    - [ ] Brigands and predatory monsters
    - [ ] Tethgard is in forest - from Crown of Fire

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: