Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Thunder Peaks information?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  07:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for lore on the Thunder Peaks: I have the Elminster's Ecologies, and a couple of source books that contain references, but there doesn't seem to be anything detailed.

Am I missing something? It seems strange that mountains in such an active adventuring area are largely uncharted.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  09:25:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There really isn't much else. The Thunder Peaks [which aren't the Storm Horns, though they do contain the Storm Fangs] are a very interesting range that's referred to in many sources dealing with the surrounding realms. You'll likely have to piece those references together in order to establish a more detailed work-up for the Thunder Peaks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  09:29:43  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right. I guess I'll do that then, wait for the FRCS 4e (since that's what we're playing) and write something up.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  09:41:33  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Colman

I'm looking for lore on the Thunder Peaks: I have the Elminster's Ecologies, and a couple of source books that contain references, but there doesn't seem to be anything detailed.

Am I missing something? It seems strange that mountains in such an active adventuring area are largely uncharted.

There is some info here originally from George Krashos that was posted onto the WoTC forums.

Volo's Guide to Cormyr has a little bit of lore on page 181 mainly (if you are using the free dowload available from WoTC it can be found on page 182).

I think the Thunder Peaks have been left so vague because they are just so big which gives DM's plenty of scope for putting their own things in there. The Peaks are wild country, so anything you want can be there. I have a very rough outline of a few settlements, monster tribes and other goodies from my campaign which is ever expanding as my current group are slowly exploring their new lands granted to them by Queen Filfaeril along with their titles, (they are sick to death of hearing the phrase " it's cold and damp" )

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  10:08:14  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. Hm. Dragon society. Where'd I put my copy of Council of Wyrms? Ah, right beside my copy of Volo's Guide to Cormyr.
Go to Top of Page

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  16:01:08  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh. I can only find two mentions in the GHoTR!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  19:01:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There may be a wee bit more forthcoming in the next month or so concerning part of the Thunderpeaks history, but that will be unofficial.

And you guys can all thank Brian for returning my interest to the Realms, and focusing me on Cormyr ATM.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  20:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There may be a wee bit more forthcoming in the next month or so concerning part of the Thunderpeaks history, but that will be unofficial.

And you guys can all thank Brian for returning my interest to the Realms, and focusing me on Cormyr ATM.

Any day now would be good. I have a campaign to plot. :-)

Seriously, that sounds interesting. Any hints? What era are you working in?
Go to Top of Page

Ahwe Yahzhe
Acolyte

Iraq
36 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  01:10:25  Show Profile  Visit Ahwe Yahzhe's Homepage Send Ahwe Yahzhe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...I haven't seen a conversion guide for it yet, but H2 - THUNDERspure Labyrinth is an obvious choice for filling a blank slate area like the THUNDER Peaks... plus it should be set close to the FR version of Winterhaven, on the eastern foothills of the Thunder Gap... what road should this location be tied to? The East Way, like Winterhaven?

-AY
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  01:47:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Colman

[quote]Originally posted by Markustay

Seriously, that sounds interesting. Any hints? What era are you working in?
As of right now, the main body of the article is set at the end of 3e, but there is information going back 2-300 years about the northern region of Cormyr, west of Arabel.

And I plan to extapolate all of the info forward, so it should be 100% useable in 4e as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  10:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to the Dalelands might have some info about the lower Thunder Peaks, that is to say if they are the mountain range between Cormyr and the Dalelands. If you mean the opposite mountain range to the north and west of Cormyr then I would check out the archives on WotC's website. They might have a fun article hidden in there with some info. Hope this helps. If not I shall endeavor to provide more useful info in the future.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  10:51:12  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
]As of right now, the main body of the article is set at the end of 3e, but there is information going back 2-300 years about the northern region of Cormyr, west of Arabel.

Hi Mark

Look forward to seeing your work, especially as the wilds of the 'border country' need more info. Just a quick question are you encompassing the Storm Horns as well as the Thunderpeaks or just the 'settled' lands north of Arabel? (up through Gnoll pass etc)

Cheers

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  11:22:52  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Volo's Guide to the Dalelands might have some info about the Thunder Peaks

Excellent point.

From VGttD free at the WoTC webpage.

The southern end of the Thunder Peaks are known as the Marching Mountains in Archendale.

An orc horde poured out of the Thunder Pass 'nearly 200 years ago' to attack Deepingdale.

All info relating to Highdale is relevant with a few nice snippets of lore (hidden valleys with gnomes settlements etc).

Western Mistledale is plagued by 'numerous fell creatures' sweeping down from the Peaks, which suggests they breed unchecked in the mountains.

And to clarify the routes through the Peaks (something that always confuses my players, as sages from the past/not local travelers/locals etc refer to them inconsistently...... )
The Thunder Way is the road that links Cormyr and Sembia via Highdale, and passes through the Thunder Gap. The other route is via the Thunder Pass which links Cormyr with the Dalelands.

In my campaign the Cormyr side of the Thunder Way as it reaches the foothills of the Thunder Peaks on the road towards Thunderstone is known as Thunder Vale.

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  05:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good info Dude.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  00:26:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes - excellent; I'll have to make a note of that source (I'm doing Cormyr ATM).

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Aug 2008 19:19:45
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  03:03:28  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ahwe Yahzhe

...I haven't seen a conversion guide for it yet, but H2 - THUNDERspure Labyrinth is an obvious choice for filling a blank slate area like the THUNDER Peaks...
It's actually one of the more densely covered wilderness areas in Faerūn, with eight named peaks, a noted density of dragon lairs, hidden valleys, wizards' safeholds, a lost dwarven city, and giant and bandit strongholds. Most of them are ye olde scattered references, outside VGD.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  19:21:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've been finding quite a few in odd places, like Dwarves deep and Prayers from the Faithful. It seems there is actually quite a lot of lore to be had about them, but it is spread thinly throughout all sources.

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  19:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, I've been finding quite a few in odd places, like Dwarves deep and Prayers from the Faithful. It seems there is actually quite a lot of lore to be had about them, but it is spread thinly throughout all sources.

Would this scroll be appropriate for an effort to collect this lore?

I've placed a village (hamlet, really) of shepherds of Talfiric stock there, so I'm interested in knowing as much canon as I can, so I don't contravene any of it accidentally. I have Elminster Ecologies, Cormyr, Volo's Guide to Cormyr and all the core setting boxes and the FRCS. I don't have Prayers from the Faithful or Dwarves Deep. What lore is there? Can these be bought online from Paizo?

Where else can I find lore?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  01:22:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both of those tomes can indeed be purchased as PDF downloads from paizo.com.

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  04:02:27  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Both of those tomes can indeed be purchased as PDF downloads from paizo.com.

Thanks. Lazy of me not to search for it myself, I guess.

I'll get Dwarves Deep for sure, but I've deliberately avoided Prayers from the Faithful until now. I'm concerned that as a list of spells, it's light on the lore and heavy on mechanics. D&D game rules are useless to me (and I probably already have all Divine spells for the 2e in the Priest Spell Compediums if I ever need them).

Is this impression false? Does Prayers from the Faithful really have Realmslore that makes it worth downloading and perusing?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  04:14:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have Pages from the Mages? The entries for the various divine-related items in Prayers from the Faithful are presented in a similar fashion, with plenty of background Realmslore and information on each of the items contained within the tome.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Aug 2008 04:15:21
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  11:09:09  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

[quote]Originally posted by The Sage
[I'll get Dwarves Deep for sure, but I've deliberately avoided Prayers from the Faithful until now. I'm concerned that as a list of spells, it's light on the lore and heavy on

Prayers from the Faithful (2E) has lots of useful lore IMO.

Having reread it this week for info regarding adventuring companies of the Realms I was surprised by how much info there was in there.

Specifically for Cormyr:
Page 22 - Eldathyn community (including names and further lore) who moved to the Hullack
Page 26 - Adventuring band and dragon name
page 97 - Lathanderan tome/adventure hook for the Stonelands.

Hope this helps

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  17:06:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this scroll would be a wonderful place to collect lore for the region.

quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

Is this impression false? Does Prayers from the Faithful really have Realmslore that makes it worth downloading and perusing?

You're kidding, right? It was written by Ed!

The mechanics are barely visible and only a small portion of whats there - every page drips with FR history. I'm ashamed to admit that although I've had this tome since the day it came out, I only started reading through it cover-to-cover the other day and can't believe I never bothered before! I'm now going through it a second time with a fine tooth-comb because it mentions at least a dozen locales not mentioned anywhere else.

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Look forward to seeing your work, especially as the wilds of the 'border country' need more info. Just a quick question are you encompassing the Storm Horns as well as the Thunderpeaks or just the 'settled' lands north of Arabel? (up through Gnoll pass etc)

Ummm... actually I was thinking of the Stormhorns, not the Thunderpeaks. My bad.

Since Brian was gracious enough to make some of my work canon, I've decided to go ahead and flesh it out.

However, if this thread starts coming up with lots of Thunderpeaks lore, I may try something new and do a detailed area map just of the Mountain Range.

I suppose I'm going to have to go through the Dragons of Faerūn book and a ton of Dragon Magazine articles as well.

Joy.

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Aug 2008 17:08:28
Go to Top of Page

The_DarkAngel
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  00:13:20  Show Profile  Visit The_DarkAngel's Homepage Send The_DarkAngel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an old AD&D adventure called the "Shattered Statue" that is based in the Thunder Peaks.

The Thunder Peaks is loaded with Vallies. The Highdale is a good example.

This adventure is located in a valley North and deeper into the Thunder Peaks where 2 old (but destroyed) Arcane colleges where once located. The Valley's name is called "Volkumburgh" (under the yoak of a Red Dragon that is paid tribute) and the 2 destroyed colleges are "College of Rune Magics" and "College of Shaping Magics".

The adventure itself is about a lord in suzil that wants a group of adventures to help this wizard locate that colleges and find lore about this huge statue (or Awtawmatawn) that they were working on. This statue can do the work of 200 men. The statue the colleges where trying to build is based on the walking statues of Mulhorand. It became possed by a devil and destoyed bolth colleges before itslef was destroyed.

Basically, you can create any thing you want. Think of a good name for a valley, and do what you like. Many Orc tribes and more than a few dragons reside in the ThunderPeaks.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  02:21:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to just research that - is that even considered FR canon?

It was created for the DQ game, and was later adapted as one of those duel-system modules that never caught on. I know some of the stuff from DQ made it into FR canon (like Karsus), but I don't know if I'd consider the entire module canon.

Anyone have any thoughts?

If its canon, that means I need to get it.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  02:35:53  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to the Dalelands and FR5 The Savage Frontier mention the Vale of Volkumburgh. Whether all of DQ1 is canonical I don't know; I don't have a copy.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  03:03:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But that would place it nowhere near the Thunderpeaks.

Now I'm confused.

Go to Top of Page

The_DarkAngel
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  03:39:58  Show Profile  Visit The_DarkAngel's Homepage Send The_DarkAngel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it's also briefly mentioned in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands too. Theres really not a whole lot to the vale and it's not the only vale either.

I would assume it's cannon (atleast FRCS 1) but either way it really doesn't matter.

Volkumburgh is south of the thunder gap towards the western side and sits along the "little thunder river". North east is the High Pasture, another valley, and both ruined colleges are south west of volkumburgh.

Volkumburgh like many of the inhabbited settlements have very little if at all dealings with the rest of the heartlands. Any interaction at all mostly comes from the highdale.

There is also the "Temple of the Dragon Oracle" east of the colleges. This temple was created by the cult of the Dragon about 3 centuries before the opening date of the grey box campaign setting.
Go to Top of Page

The_DarkAngel
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  03:46:07  Show Profile  Visit The_DarkAngel's Homepage Send The_DarkAngel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You map "Old +New Cormyr is too small and very hard to read other wise I could point out exactly were all 5 locations i mentioned are.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  06:02:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now I'm confused.
It's OK.
quote:
You know, Erek, if Elminster had't been so kind to us when were were, um, avoiding the rather unfortunate consequences of that incident in Volkumburgh, I would never have agreed to this project. After all, how was I to know WHY the awtawmatawn had been shattered in the first place?

Edited by - Faraer on 08 Aug 2008 06:02:27
Go to Top of Page

Colman
Acolyte

Ireland
33 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  09:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Colman's Homepage Send Colman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm chewing through sources at the moment, compiling a big mind map thingy of the lore I can find - EE and VGTOD are the most meaty so far - I'll have to hunt down some of those other sources you mention now ... hah all available on-line, including "The Shattered Statue". There goes another twenty four of those funny American dollars.

Edited by - Colman on 08 Aug 2008 09:27:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000