Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Bad books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  10:52:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't believe this has been formally discussed before.

What, in your opinion, are the worst FR novels? Or, to put it another way, what would you steer a newbie clear from?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  13:42:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting question.

While I have made an attempt to read every FR novel, I really wouldn't steer newbie's away from any bad novels, maybe just tell them to leave reading them until last, or at least until nothing of better quality (FR) is available to read. This is mainly because I think that whether good or bad, the novels are part of the setting you are reading, and therefore should be read, if only to maintain a sense of completeness.

But this is a pretty subjective question anyway, since one person may dislike a book, while another may really enjoy it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  13:49:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would recommend that new readers to the FR leave these novels until last -

Once Around the Realms (although I guess this is obvious)
Netheril Trilogy
Parched Sea
Finder's Bane
King Pinch
The Abduction
The Diamond

I guess that this is all...

Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  07:32:50  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't include Finder's Bane in that list, but as you said, its subjective (I find it hard to dislike anything set in Planescape...and Finder outsmarted Illsensine, for crying out loud!). I usually dislike Greenwood's books because I can't get into his writing style, but you can't really put off reading his novels because Realms events are centered around them.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  07:38:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand about Greenwood. He's an aquired taste, but if you read them you get loads of Realmslore.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:30:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lowtech said -
quote:
I find it hard to dislike anything set in Planescape...and Finder outsmarted Illsensine, for crying out loud!).
Yes, I wish there had been more crossover-type stories between Planescape and the Forgotten Realms. The FR/PS module For Duty and Deity was also another interesting crossover, even though it was an adventure.

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Jul 2003 10:32:46
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm -- I have that one in a computer file. Haven't read the adventures, though. So much other stuff, and so much RL work as well. Though I suppose I ought to look into that sort of thing, what with the adventure modual we're doing . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:44:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to think of that adventure though, as an extension of the Planescape adventure anthology Tales From the Infinite Staircase. They both fit nicely together.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:48:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I think the only other Planescape file I have is The Dungeon Master's Guide to the Planes. I might have confused another one with regular D&D -- I did that for that one.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:52:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may have. The DM Guide to the Planes is the second of three books outlining the basics of campaigning on the Outer Planes and Sigil, the City of Doors.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  17:29:29  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

lowtech said -
quote:
I find it hard to dislike anything set in Planescape...and Finder outsmarted Illsensine, for crying out loud!).
Yes, I wish there had been more crossover-type stories between Planescape and the Forgotten Realms. The FR/PS module For Duty and Deity was also another interesting crossover, even though it was an adventure.

I love this adventure, and I took some rather high level characters through it. They succeeded. SOme of the Characters were Rizzen, Torandar, Drandarian, and Duke Lowie of cormyr. Since they rescued Waukeen and re-established her power, these characters get this one little perk:

ALL items sold BY the characters get 30% above list price,

and ALL items sold TO the characters are at a 30% discount.

Note this is not a written law, it is a divine law. So if these characters were to buy something from FZOUL himself, he would be compelled to sell it at 30% discount. he would not know of the compulsion, or even realize the discount. The price that exits his mouth is 30% undercut, and he likes it. THis is the divine power of gods at work.

Now Rizzen a thief, who once venerated Mask, is now a majour figure in the church of Waukeen, and has since become more 'honest' in his dealings.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  03:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. I like that gift . . . a gift that keeps on giving. Are those characters still in operation?

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  07:31:49  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These characters are all of EPIC level... UBER epic level. I took them through City of the Spiderqueen for fun, and boy was that priestess surprised. The battle lasted three rounds... 18 seconds real time.

It was fun, and these characters have quite a reputation. So before many encounters occured the enemy was running to warn others.

Torandar is a Ranger with a SERIOUSLY feared reputation in the underdark, as FRIENDLY to Good dark elves, and the slayer of Rilauven's second house, House Shorzbin's entire nobility and weaponmasters.

Rizzen grew up in Rilauven, as the fourth son of the fourth house. Many Drow know him now. They USED to laugh at him in Rilauven.

I LOVE epic campaigns. I just like the power involved, and I enjoy putting high level characters in low level modules once in a while, so the players can really understand their rewards.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  07:51:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should have continued on Mournblade, through Tales From the Infinite Staircase. It would have been interesting to see how your high level characters fared.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2003 :  21:54:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How epic are they? I found all the epic-level information to be a bit off, I thought; of course, I've no idea how fast a character can gain levels.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  05:35:01  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After Converting Torandar to third edition he is a 42nd level ranger. The characeter has been a PC since 1988. Duke Lowie is a 36th level character he's been a character since 1992, Rizzen is 32nd and has been around since 1995. They are still adventurers, and funny enough, Torandar hires himself out as a caravan guard for 20,000 g.p., yet will occasionally accompany pilgrims, and lone merchants for free. The way these guys are in my campaign, is their sheer presence will often ward OFF encounters. For example, most humanoids and Dark elves will stay out of Torandar's path unloess they are numbered in the hundreds. In my campaign these characters are as much movers as Elminster and Khelben. They have earned their levels:)

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  05:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool! I would have thought it would get too boring after a while. I'm glad to know that you can still have fun with those levels, if you try hard enough.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  07:11:58  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hated book 1 & 2 of the Horselord trilogy, and a few of the Nobles books irritated me as well...

Other than that, there was a book called Faces of Deception (i think) about a half-ogre who wanted to become a priest of Selune. Twas terrible

those are the only FR novels i have actively disliked, although i admot i have not read nearly as much as i would like (they dont stock them where i live)

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  09:31:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm said -
quote:
I'm glad to know that you can still have fun with those levels, if you try hard enough
That, and if you have enough of a creative DM, to make the adventures and challenges exciting and difficult enough to keep the player's interest. A few epic campaigns I have played in are nothing more than rehashed older and lower-level campaigns that have only had the EL's changed.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  17:26:56  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well im only 1/2 way through but so far its quite unbearable - The Dream Spheres! Please someone tell me that it picks up....big time!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  07:44:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? I found that book to be passable. Not as good as Elfshadow or Elfsong, but not as bad as Silver Shadows or Thornhold.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 10 Jul 2003 07:45:05
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  08:01:01  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if, and i repeat IF, dream spheres is the book im thinking of, there is a very rememberable battle with Elaith and Arilyn, which alone makes it worth reading

I also found it quite passable

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  08:24:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed Dream Spheres, but then 'Songs and Swords', is my second favorite FR novel series so...

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  14:10:44  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never heard of that series...

Who is the author and who are the main characters? Any notables i might know?

How many books in the series?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  14:20:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 'Songs and Swords' series are all written by Elaine Cunningham. There are 5 books in the series -

Elfshadow
Elfsong
Silver Shadows
Thornhold
Dream Spheres

The main characters are Arilyn Moonblade, Danilo Thann, Elaith Craulnober, and an assortment of other curious characters.

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  17:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Really? I found that book to be passable. Not as good as Elfshadow or Elfsong, but not as bad as Silver Shadows or Thornhold.

I have to agree. I have haven't read a Cunningham book that I did not like.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  17:18:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have . . . Thornhold started out good, but really fell. However, I've said that before here; in fact, it was my very first post, way back when. I just showed up and pronounced judgement.

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  17:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I do have to admit that it did not rise to the caliber of the rest of the series. I did enjoy the start of the growing rift between Danilo and Blackstaff.

Did you enjoy the Counselors and Kings Trilogy I found it a great read.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000