Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How many books are there?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MasksChosenOne
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  18:12:26  Show Profile Send MasksChosenOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings ,
In all how many FR books are there? Thanks for your comments .

~Ashley

{edit} Can anyone tell me if The Halls Of Stormweather is the first book Cale is in?

Drink a lot of water , Walk slowly !

Edited by - MasksChosenOne on 10 Jul 2008 18:46:03

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  18:44:39  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MasksChosenOne

Greetings ,
In all how many FR books are there? Thanks for your comments .

~Ashley

The exact # eludes me but I know it is about 211.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 10 Jul 2008 18:51:07
Go to Top of Page

MasksChosenOne
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  18:47:11  Show Profile Send MasksChosenOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much . Could you answer my other question also?

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  18:51:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

{edit} Can anyone tell me if The Halls Of Stormweather is the first book Cale is in?

Yes--Halls of Stormweather is an anthology of short stories, and Cale stars in one of those stories.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  18:52:43  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you very much . Could you answer my other question also?

Yes I believe that is his first appearance in a novel.

Go to Top of Page

MasksChosenOne
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  18:57:25  Show Profile Send MasksChosenOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok well thats good ! I actually started the FR series by reading the erevis cale trilogy . Little did I know that there was a series before it. Is the twilight war after or before the Cale trilogy ?

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  18:58:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can download a list of all Realms novels here :

Book List

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  19:00:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok well thats good ! I actually started the FR series by reading the erevis cale trilogy . Little did I know that there was a series before it. Is the twilight war after or before the Cale trilogy ?

It is after, and it is very good!!

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  20:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Make sure to read Halls of Stormweather and Shadow's Witness from the Sembia series. Though he is prominent in the last book to (but that one is not written by Paul Kemp). I enjoyed the whole Sembia series, but Cale was the only character that really captured my attention.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  22:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And by the way, it's not a big deal if you read the series out of order. Mr. Kemp has actually said he now recommends people read the Cale trilogy and Twilight War books before his Sembia books, mainly because he thinks they are better books.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  22:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer to read most everything chronologically, so that colors my suggestions. And the Twilight War won't be complete until November (still a bit bitter about them moving that from May). I have not started that trilogy because I want to read it all in one go.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

MasksChosenOne
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  23:06:51  Show Profile Send MasksChosenOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you see I hate to read things out of order. So I find it imperative to read in chronological order also .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  01:10:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best novel chronology that I know of is O Love's Novels Timeline. It's an excellent resource, and it's useful enough to have made my page of pre-formatted links.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

rockyoumonkeys
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  16:59:21  Show Profile  Visit rockyoumonkeys's Homepage Send rockyoumonkeys a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to be obsessed with chronology and timelines, and what order to read things in, but I decided to just read them in the order they were published. It'll mean juggling a few series/trilogies at a time, but that's okay.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  19:12:04  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

And by the way, it's not a big deal if you read the series out of order. Mr. Kemp has actually said he now recommends people read the Cale trilogy and Twilight War books before his Sembia books, mainly because he thinks they are better books.

That's too bad, because the first one was really the one that got me interested in the characters.

Actually, my GF loved Shadow Witness and didn't care to finish the 2nd book of Cale trilogy. I have to say she usually don't like much to read FR books kind of fantasy.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  19:34:53  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Having recently read the book in the Sembia series, while it did feature the character Erevis Cale, I believe that his later appearance in the Erevis Cale trilogy paints a much better picture of the character, obviously, because of the development that happens within.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2008 :  12:06:09  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I have em all (novels) and 98% (game books), my girlfriend fiancee would tell you there is a MILLION lol

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Edited by - Alisttair on 12 Dec 2008 12:06:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000