Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Shield of Weeping Ghosts: Chapters 6 - 13
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  10:13:34  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Shield of Weeping Ghosts (Book 3 of The Citadels), by James P. Davis. Please discuss the chapters 6 - 13 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  07:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*looks around at the sad empty post count for this topic*
*crickets chirp*
*hedgehogs root about in piles of leaves and unused pages*

Right, so continuing with the book...

No, I haven't spotted any facial expression slips so far, so you are safe from scolding for that so far

I'll admit that I facepalmed and groaned as soon as the word "Ilythiiri" appeared in the narrative. Mostly in a "Oh no, not again" kind of way. I was rather hoping for something more interesting relating to the Nar or Thay or something not drowish-ly related.

Anyway, I like how the tensions between Thaena and Anilyn seem to be growing more and more strained.It looks like when their cooperation is at an end, it will be rather messy for all and sundry. I appreciated the exposition on how Thaena thinks of Bastun and her relationship with Duras.

I'm still liking Bastun too. I hope he does something nice for all the ghost children
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  08:28:44  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

*looks around at the sad empty post count for this topic*
*crickets chirp*
*hedgehogs root about in piles of leaves and unused pages*

Right, so continuing with the book...

No, I haven't spotted any facial expression slips so far, so you are safe from scolding for that so far

I'll admit that I facepalmed and groaned as soon as the word "Ilythiiri" appeared in the narrative. Mostly in a "Oh no, not again" kind of way. I was rather hoping for something more interesting relating to the Nar or Thay or something not drowish-ly related.

Anyway, I like how the tensions between Thaena and Anilyn seem to be growing more and more strained.It looks like when their cooperation is at an end, it will be rather messy for all and sundry. I appreciated the exposition on how Thaena thinks of Bastun and her relationship with Duras.

I'm still liking Bastun too. I hope he does something nice for all the ghost children

Yeah, I think most everyone skipped to the last chapters thread on this one, heh!

And I will say the ancient drow only lend their name and magic to the tale. Considering their past presence in the region (and at the southern end of the portal) and the age of the portal, they were the most likely candidates for its creation. I have nothing against the drow, I just haven't had a story that needed one yet.

As for Bastun and the children, well, I had fun with that.

Best,
--James
(mask-expression description good so far, whew!)

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  14:27:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I myself was in a spot where I was able to keep reading and blew right through this scroll as I was enjoying the read to much to stop.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
748 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  06:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides, James knows (in the githzerai sense) that we love his work, even if some scrolls are empty-ish.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  09:41:38  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Red and Kyrene, you guys rock.

But I do enjoy discussing the middle chapters as well, so I'm good hanging out either way. Beginning, middle, or end, I'm happy to get comments at all.

(I'm definitely looking forward to discussing Restless Shore in May, that should prove interesting.)

Best,
--James

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  13:59:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James P. Davis

Red and Kyrene, you guys rock.

But I do enjoy discussing the middle chapters as well, so I'm good hanging out either way. Beginning, middle, or end, I'm happy to get comments at all.

(I'm definitely looking forward to discussing Restless Shore in May, that should prove interesting.)

Best,
--James

Yes you have set the bar quite high for that one you know!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2009 :  07:13:58  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

[quote]Yes you have set the bar quite high for that one you know!

No! No bar! (what have I done?)

I'll just say that I think Restless Shore is a different kind of animal. I'm curious to see how it's received.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2010 :  08:38:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like how Anilya seems to be cloaked with layers and layers of mystery...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2010 :  08:40:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James P. Davis

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

[quote]Yes you have set the bar quite high for that one you know!

No! No bar! (what have I done?)

I'll just say that I think Restless Shore is a different kind of animal. I'm curious to see how it's received.

It's definitely on my To Read List.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ada
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  15:34:06  Show Profile Send Ada a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stopping to gather myself from all the excitement from reading this book, I had to compose myself just to write this book club part so I could regurgitate all the information that was flowing out of the pages. I was suspecting that there was something between Duras and Thaena due to the way they acted around each other. When Bastun separated himself from the group, I was thinking why he chose to do that route? After reading further into the book, I realize that he knew more about the citadel and was being hindered by the group leading him to the shield. As more and more of the passage is played in Bastun’s head, the story of how to defeat whatever the Nar or Creel have released upon the world comes together. I did not expect the Breath to be a sword that would slay the shield with the word. But the creature that Bastun must face intrigues me as to what it is.

Gul Ada Ruin - The Wizard Elf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000