Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Where to place the boxed set "Dragon Mountain"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  00:30:42  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm getting ready to give my players a clue that will set them to looking for the fabled "Dragon Mountain".

For those of you that are unfamiliar with it it is a mountain that is home to a dragon that is capable of shifting the mountain and everything in it through all of the different worlds.

My question is this: where would you placeit in Faerune?

I have an idea of where I may put it but I want to get some input before I make my final decision.

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  01:03:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I placed Dragon Mountain north of the Dragonspine Mountains on the other side of the Ride in the mountains next to the Border Forest.

It worked really well for me there.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  01:29:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What boxed set is this?

quote:
Originally posted by BlackDragonKarameikos

For those of you that are unfamiliar with it it is a mountain that is home to a dragon that is capable of shifting the mountain and everything in it through all of the different worlds.

In my opinion, since the mountain is essentially a type of world-hopping ship, you could put it anywhere and have it make sense. If it's in an inconvenient spot, that could make for an even more compelling reason for the PCs to travel there and investigate.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 May 2008 01:31:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  01:37:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

What boxed set is this?
See here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  01:42:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  16:51:39  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I was in a bit of a hurry when I originally wrote the post, I forgot to metion that in the first book of the adventure it says to place it somewhere far from large populations.

This is because the dragon tries to keep from drawing too much attention to itself.

And as for the Dragonspine Mountains Dalor, I was thinking of them myself, along with the Cloven Mountains or possibly the Orsraun Mountains.

Still I would like more input before making my final decision I still have some time before I have to figure out where.

Edited by - BlackDragonKarameikos on 05 May 2008 21:31:35
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  18:19:00  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Spoiler alert*

Kobold with a Vorpal Weapon - can't beat that

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  22:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackDragonKarameikos

Still I would like more input before making my final decision I still have some time before I have to figure out where.

Well, when I ran the box set in the Forgotten Realms, I placed the mountain in the West Galena mountain range, north of the Damara/Vassa border.

I used just the tatoo/map clue to get my PC's interested in the adventure, although they had to chase all over the Vast to retieve all four pieces of the clue. The whole box set fit well into those regions. Really, the only thing I had todo is redraw the tatoo/map to fit the Realms geography.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly