Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Unconverted FR Monsters Thread at EN World
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  14:09:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey guys,

Over at EN World there is a thread listing "unconverted" FR monsters in 3.5, and looking over the list, I know of few of them have been converted in various sources.

I thought I'd post this and see if anyone was interested in filling in some of the gaps where monsters actually had been converted:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=183278

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  08:15:13  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to point out that Big Mac posted the same info in another thread: here.

Won't surprise me if one of these threads will be closed. I'd suggest this one as Big Mac put so much more work into his one!

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  14:40:58  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any help here? As an aside, we're always happy to have people help with critter conversions in that forum on EN World! Our goal is eventually to get every single D&D monster from previous editions converted to 3.X rules. Only 1300 or so to go!

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Big Mac
Acolyte

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  19:16:31  Show Profile  Visit Big Mac's Homepage Send Big Mac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Just wanted to point out that Big Mac posted the same info in another thread: here.

Won't surprise me if one of these threads will be closed. I'd suggest this one as Big Mac put so much more work into his one!

Ergdusch

Sorry for the double post. My thread was the one that got closed, but I think I posted it in the wrong area. I've PMed the moderator that closed my thread and asked him to pull out the information from my post.

On another note, I took up a different ENWorld thread with the Dragonlance Nexus forums and it turned out that some of the "unconverted" monsters were actually done (and listed on Dragonlance Nexus).

Is there actually a place on Candlekeep where 3rd edition conversions can be found? I'm assuming that Forgotten Realms are as good as conversions as Dragonlance ones. I'd like to tell the ENWorld guy where to look for your conversions.

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Administrator - Spelljammer Wiki
https://spelljammer.fandom.com/
Chief Editor - Wildspace Magazine
https://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=29589
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2008 :  01:02:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Big Mac

Is there actually a place on Candlekeep where 3rd edition conversions can be found? I'm assuming that Forgotten Realms are as good as conversions as Dragonlance ones. I'd like to tell the ENWorld guy where to look for your conversions.

Have you looked over the Main Site of Candlekeep itself? There are various 3e conversions for some Realms elements -- it's more than likely some of what you're looking for will be stored there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Big Mac
Acolyte

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2008 :  10:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Big Mac's Homepage Send Big Mac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Big Mac

Have you looked over the Main Site of Candlekeep itself? There are various 3e conversions for some Realms elements -- it's more than likely some of what you're looking for will be stored there.

Yes I have looked. I know that people like you are unpaid and usually very busy, so didn't want to bother you if I didn't need to. And the ENWorld guy has looked too. Neither of us can work out what section a list of converted monsters would be located in. (At least he couldn't find them last time I spoke to him.)

None of the links on the left side menu of the Candlekeep homepage imply that those sections contain game rules. I've tried all of those sections. Tethtoril's Bookshop doesn't mention anything about conversions of unconverted FR monsters. Alaundo's Library looks promising, but there is nothing on the main page that mentions monsters or conversions. Campaign Journals doesn't look like an appropriate place. And your last main section - Gallery of Faerun - is obviously not the place where stuff would go. I've also tried your FAQ and your Site Map, but haven't had any luck.

I'm sorry to say that I can't work out how to use Candlekeep. This is a great website, with a ton of useful stuff, but I find it really hard to navigate around. You have a lot of stuff that is burried deep in pages and can only be found via Google and thy olde worlde form of talking is slightly confusing (especially to non-English speakers). When I do navigate to one of your pages via Google, I see it outside your frameset and find it near impossible to work out how to get back to it without using Google again.

That is why I started my other thread. I need help finding this stuff.

Are your conversions in one place or are they scattered around in other articles? Do you list your conversions on a product by product basis or do you have an A-Z of monsters, spells, characters and other elements? Please can you give me a link to your conversion homepage, so that I can go through all your existing conversions and let the ENWorld/Creature Catalogue people know what ones they can cross off of their list.

And when you get the time, can you add a more high profile link, that lets fans of old school FR know where they can find 3.0 and 3.5 conversions of everything WotC hasn't done...and maybe add something to your FAQ.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  03:34:15  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting topic, to be sure.
Question, has anybody seen a 3.? write up for
windghosts? (RoMD box set)
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  03:49:11  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Big Mac
Acolyte

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  13:48:40  Show Profile  Visit Big Mac's Homepage Send Big Mac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BUMP: I've just dug through Echohawk's Complete D&D Monster Index and according to that document there are only actually two monster conversions on Candlekeep:
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/beasts.htm

This is a relatively active community and I find it hard to believe that Candlekeep wouldn't have more conversions here (unless Candlekeep isn't interested in D&D rules). Would someone please point me at Candlekeep's 3.0 and 3.5 conversions? I can not find them.

And if there really is only two FR conversions, would the Candlekeep team please consider inviting the FR fans who are doing conversions (of missing FR monsters)to post copies on this website.

I'd eventually like to see a bunch of PDFs called "Missing Monsters of Faerun", "Missing Monsters of Al-Qadim", "Missing Monsters of Kara-Tur" "Missing Monsters of Maztica" and "Missing Monsters of the Arcane Age" put into the Forgotten Realms Netbooks section.

quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Luckily for you Windghost is one of the monsters that the team over at ENWorld have already converted. You can find it in their Creature Catalogue. You can also find a generic version of the Windghost in MMII.

Here is a direct link to the Windghost page. (It was also available as a Windghost PDF, but that document has been moved recently and the link hasn't been updated yet.)

For more FR (and non-FR) conversions, I suggest you look at Echohawk's Complete D&D Monster Index. It is a fantastic Excel spreadsheet that he updates frequently. You can set the spreadsheet to focus on Forgotten Realms monsters, if you need to. Here is the lastest version of the index: Complete D&D Monster Index (April 2008). Bear in mind that that index will be replaced with a new one within the next month or so.

BTW: Echohawk lists some monsters as "Forgotten Realms" and others as "(Forgotten Realms)". I've asked him what the brackets mean and he told me it means that the monster is implied to come from FR, but isn't specifically stated as coming from FR.

PS: Great news for Maztica fans - The ENWorld creature conversion team have just finished a special conversion project to complete the conversion of all Maztica Campaign Setting monsters. This means that Maztica has beaten all other TSR campaign settings (including vanilla FR, Dark Sun, Dragonlance and Greyhawk). The Horde Campaign Setting monsters may be next (if the Dark Sun fans don't get second place).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page