Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Evermeet: Island of Elves novel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  11:16:51  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What are your views on the "Evermeet: Island of Elves" novel? I have yet to read this but have heard a lot of good comments on it. I love elves and the elven way of life anyway so am really looking forward to reading it.

Does it have much of an impact on current Realms history?

Please include the word "SPOILER" in your post if you intend to give away any of the plot.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2002 :  11:54:48  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say that the excellent novel has an impact on the current Realms. For those who are interested in reading about Faerun's history and the history of the elves in particular. Evermeet: Island of Elves is a must read.

For those history buffs the story on Cormyr in Cormyr: a Novel is just as much a must read. Not that IMO the story is so great, but more because it is filled with historical and local (Cormyr) detail.
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2002 :  02:08:55  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Evermeet is a great book and does indeed have a very huge impact on the realms at the end of the book. but ill never tell..LMAO

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2002 :  08:56:47  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArcticKnight

Yes Evermeet is a great book and does indeed have a very huge impact on the realms at the end of the book. but ill never tell..LMAO

That depends on how 'Realms shattering' the WotC staff will take that. It could have some impact, but IMO it is already lessened by the inversion of the Retreat.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2002 :  20:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I have mentioned previously, IMHO, Evermeet is one of the finest Forgotten Realms novels ever written. Talk about history...it is simply phenomenal....I regard it as the Elven Bible. I think in the same way that it should be illegal to put drow into a campaign if you have not read Homeland due to the sheer impossibility of understanding them by using the core D&D books alone, using or even PLAYING elves without having read Evermeet should allow someone to take you into the streets and have you shot.

Whew.......I need to sit down....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Green Elven Vampire
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2002 :  01:18:49  Show Profile  Visit Green Elven Vampire's Homepage Send Green Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is the Elven Bible!!!

Luthnimh Selorn: Green Elven Vampire; Ranger/Arcane Archer/Sorcerer/Bladesinger.

"Aww, you think my arrow hurt? Would that my sword in your lung make you feel better? If not, maybe i'd tickle you with a Ball of Lightning spell. Or perhaps just sink my fangs into your neck and drain you of blood?"~~ Luthnimh Selorn; speaking to the weretiger Kyrran Graylord.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2002 :  06:07:50  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So glad to see you agree, Lady Vamp...

Elaine Cunningham needs to write more often...she is simply fabulous.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2002 :  10:47:41  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another tome from the Sage on Elves would be most welcomed by many. Maybe with some lore on the fair folk living in Evereska, that is if the elves there want to allow her to write about their stronghold and last bastion during the Retreat.
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2002 :  17:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind something that further details Lloth getting the drow and making them go underground in the war who's name i can't recall right now... there's probably something in some other game accessory... but i think a novel to recap this in detail would be nice..

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2002 :  17:54:10  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that Elaine's novel already captured a good portion of that, providing background and detail to split of the elven race.

Indeed references to that war can be found in several books. From the three 2e 'Gods' books (F&A, P&P, DD) to products like Lands of Intrigue (LOI) and Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark (DDGttU).

While indeed the subject is very interesting and would shed a light on some of the current state of affairs, I would prefer to see the event more as a backdrop against which a story is set. Not unlike the style of the Evermeet ; Island of Elves and Cormyr: a Novel novels.
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2002 :  18:47:43  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tho Evermeet more dealt with, from what i recall... it's been a while, Lloth being banished... i don't recall much of the actual war and all..

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  19:38:34  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Bookwyrm and ArionElenim...... I FINALLY got around to reading this novel! yay!!

...and it was certainly worth the wait! I loved it! and it sure is worthy of the title you gave it as the "Elven Bible". The layout is excellent, being split into 5 seperate books and the events not flowing on directly as in a standard novel and is indeed like a sourcebook as a novel.

I just wish id read it years ago and before id read any of the other elven\Cunningham novels like Songs and Swords series.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  04:50:24  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
coughtoldyousocough

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000