Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Stone of Tymora
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  14:50:42  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey I just came across this on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Stowaway-Stone-Tymora-Book-I/dp/0786950943/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202913759&sr=1-6

It appears to be a yound adult series by R.A. Salvatore and Geno Salvatore. Give the name of the series (The Stone of Tymora) I thought it might be Forgotten Realms.

Has anyone heard anything about this.

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  15:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tymora are, to the best of my knowledge a deity created by Greenwood for the realms so it probably is, but I've never heard of a Mirrorstone Forgotten Realms book.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  18:53:56  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Mirrorstone does do the Dragonlance YA series, so perhaps this is the start of an FR YA series.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  22:54:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I might actually start reading these, too. I'd love it if RAS wrote a story about totally new characters.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

l33td0ggy
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  03:12:21  Show Profile  Visit l33td0ggy's Homepage Send l33td0ggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Hmm, I might actually start reading these, too. I'd love it if RAS wrote a story about totally new characters.

wotc probly won't let him write about anyone other thjan drizzt and jarlalxe.

i have no sig.
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  11:49:27  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Stowaway: Stone of Tymora doesn't sound particulary Drizzt/Jarlaxleish.
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  22:39:36  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would you? He's already writing at a young-adult level. I can't imagine what his writing would be like if dumbed down any further.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  01:21:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

quote:

Would you? He's already writing at a young-adult level. I can't imagine what his writing would be like if dumbed down any further.

I have to admit, at this point I am curious about what a non-Drizzt, non-famous character story from him would be like.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  10:03:07  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have to admit, at this point I am curious about what a non-Drizzt, non-famous character story from him would be like.

He did write the Cleric Quintet didn't he, but I agree, I mean 17 Drizzt books plus some spin-offs? Drizzt could fill out his own world.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  16:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nimriel
He did write the Cleric Quintet didn't he...

He did, over 15 years ago. Those aren't fresh new characters anymore. And for the record, I didn't care for them to begin with.

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  18:29:02  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The writing in the CQ is even worse than his current books, if anything.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  09:45:03  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A FR-Novel this will most certainly be! Look at this:

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780786950942

It seems that Bob just won't create new characters. To FR-readers the Discription gives already two familiar names: Sea Sprite & Drizzt Do'Urden.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  10:56:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be fair, the lead character Maimun is new.
Go to Top of Page

Tasker Daze
Seeker

84 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  14:38:09  Show Profile Send Tasker Daze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

A FR-Novel this will most certainly be! Look at this:

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780786950942

It seems that Bob just won't create new characters. To FR-readers the Discription gives already two familiar names: Sea Sprite & Drizzt Do'Urden.

I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not RAS wants to write new characters. WotC likely demanded a Drizzt connection.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  15:13:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what year it is set in?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  16:10:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 1370s, most likely. I doubt the Sea Sprite would still be around, post-Sellplague.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2008 :  17:09:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm inclined to read this novel out of sheer curiosity. I hope it's pre-Spellplague. I agree that it seems unlikely that the Sea Sprite would still be around in 100 years, although it could be a new ship with the same name.

Maybe the book takes places during the "lost years" between Siege of Darkness and Passage to Dawn.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  18:27:11  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the second name on the by-line.

Geno Salvatore is a recent college grad and, by all accounts, a very talented writer.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  04:03:56  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd probably read this

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  22:28:48  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOTC has posted a sample chapter for those interested.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2008 :  01:31:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

WOTC has posted a sample chapter for those interested.

Link?

EDIT: Here--http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/Products/default.aspx?doc=239607200

I can't tell yet whether or not it's pre-Spellplague.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 Aug 2008 01:39:14
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2008 :  08:57:06  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for lack of link, I am in Turkey at the moment and the internet connection is not so great.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2008 :  14:49:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Sorry for lack of link, I am in Turkey at the moment and the internet connection is not so great.

It's OK, I posted the link.

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2008 :  14:52:07  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Drizzt features strongly in this novel. So much for a non-Drizzt story.

Glanced at the sample chapter out of morbid curiosity. The writing's pretty... eh, let's just say first person requires skill to pull off well.
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  02:33:02  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't read the sample chapter but from the book description it sounds like a pre plaquge novel because of the title of Transition #2 is called The Pirate King and this book takes place on Sea Sprite the pirate hunting ship. So I think this book is going to be a tie in and we are in the same time period of Cattabrie (Spelling?). I don't think Salvatore will ever make that 100 or so year jump until all of his main characters are dead (except Drizzt). That's fine by me because I love all that I've read so far by him( which includes all FR and the Spearweilder Trilogy.)

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2008 :  22:15:31  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bob Salvatore revealed at Gen Con that The Stone of Tymora takes place during the time of The Halfling's Gem.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  01:18:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Bob Salvatore revealed at Gen Con that The Stone of Tymora takes place during the time of The Halfling's Gem.

Now I find that, very, very interesting.
Will definatley check it out now. Especially in hopes that if a new novel set that far "in the past" selld well maybe, just maybe a few other authors will get the green light for such projects.

Also find it a bit curious with all the chanes to draw new fans(esp. 100 year jump), Wotc would take a vehicle such as this one, which is stated to try and draw younger fans, and set it pre-spellplague.
I find this exciting and hope this novel sells as fast as it can be stocked.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Arrevanthas
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  03:50:02  Show Profile  Visit Arrevanthas's Homepage Send Arrevanthas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am actually eagerly waiting for it's release. And Geno is such a cutey! :P

www.Arrevanthas.deviantart.com
Go on...you know you want to ^_~
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  01:13:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

That's a relief. It's nice that not every book is now going to be post-Spellplague. Thanks for the heads-up.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 26 Aug 2008 01:13:50
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  18:33:12  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep.. I checked the year of "The Halfling's Gem" to see how many years Maimon is at "The Pirate King"... It's strange that he should is 29 years old and there they call him "Young Pirate", or something like that. When reading The Pirate King, I thought Maimon were 20 or a little bit older.

Anyone knows which parts did RAS wrote or contributed?

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  15:17:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't think 29 is young?

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 May 2009 15:17:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000