Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Adventure Chronology
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  21:22:45  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, so I'm looking to finally moving into FR instead of pulling inspiration from it. My current campaign plotting is to take all of the old adventures, in sequence, and allow my players to play through them.

Each player will actually be running a family instead of just one character. So, they can play the nephew or son of their previous PC when the timeline jumps.

However, I can't find a useful or concise list of FR adventures in chronological order. I'm thinking of starting with Ruins of Adventure, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and then moving to the (awful, I'm told) Avatar trilogy. But, I know there's more and I'm looking for insight.

LordArcana
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  21:51:07  Show Profile  Visit LordArcana's Homepage Send LordArcana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your campaign is going to revolve around families i assume most of your campaign is going to take place in a centralized area? There were adventure packs which took place in certain areas like the Dalelands adventures and such. Try doing a google search for "Dalelands D&D Adventures".

There are many old free adventures on the Wizards website as well as free or very low cost adventures on many D&D fan sites. I am looking for the link now if i find it i will edit the post to add it where i once found about 100-150 pdf adventures for 0.99-2.99 each. I bought a few and they were not half bad...

PS On a side note, the Avatar Trilogy is a lot like Dragonlance...makes for an awesome story but is brutely boring for the players. I personally have had the displeasure of both playing in it (first) and feeling so cheated i read through the adventures and wanted to run it. Both times i felt as if the PC's are just footnotes of little importance not even worthy of mentioning in the grand histories of the Forgotten Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  22:00:20  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My PCs have always wanted more direction than they've gotten and they've always wanted to feel like things were going on around them, so ... it might actually help to run Avatar.

It's not so necessary for it to remain in one locale, especially when the time jumps from 1340 to 1358, and then to 1372, etc.

What is want to see ...

...is some legacy items being passed down from one character to the next.
...the occasional situation where a player is running an older more decrepit version of a previous character.
...an elf character from the first adventure being important in the 25th adventure.
...Power shifts effecting what kind of class a character is between two adventures (imagine if one of the players want to make a Cormaeril, or dedicates themselves to bhaal before the ToT, etc).
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  17:09:02  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, for the sake of recording it, I'm going to put some numbers down.

1340 - Ruins of Adventure
1357 - Curse of the Azure Bonds

1358 - Shadowdale
1358 - Tantras
1358 - Waterdeep

1372 - City of the Spider Queen

xxxx - The Dalelands

xxxx - Expedition to Undermountain

xxxx - Into the Dragon's Lair

xxxx - Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor

xxxx - Sons of Grummsh

Edited by - Rhewtani on 29 Jan 2008 01:46:47
Go to Top of Page

SiCK_Boy
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  21:58:59  Show Profile Send SiCK_Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City of the Spider Queens starts around the end of Marpenoth, 1372.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  23:11:14  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I placed Curse of the Azure Bonds in 1367, and it works just fine with my group...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  01:45:36  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think I had to endure it then, too - when I was a player. But, my goal is to run these things in their default times.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  01:57:16  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started a project kind of like this in this thread:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5319&SearchTerms=Character,Level/Timeframe

But I know I was missing a lot and didn't get as far as I would have liked to with the project.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  02:01:51  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome.

I will move some of it over and when I get webspace again create a better table for it all.

This answers my main question, though. Barring How the Mighty Are Fallen, there really isn't a realms adventure earlier than 1340.

-Chris
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  01:02:44  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trying to place "Steelheart" from Dungeon 53. It refers to the Zhentarim serving Cyric. That places it somehwere between 1358 and 1371. When do the Zhents start worshiping Bane again? When did Fzoul start worshiping the godson?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  01:47:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some Zhents never stopped worshipping Bane; they never believed in Bane's death, they never accepted Cyric the Pretender (even after Fzoul read that silly book), their faith sustained Bane through his difficult times.

But if ye seek a particular date, it would likely be late 1368DR ... Bane's faith experienced some resurgence after Cyric incompetently destroyed most of Zhentil Keep and his own base of power.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  03:09:03  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, right, good time cue right there ... the destruction of Zhentil Keep.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2011 :  10:55:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dungeon of Death takes place 1 year after Hellgate Keep (whatever year it is).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  19:55:40  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When does the Randal Morn trilogy take place?
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
270 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  20:38:27  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

When does the Randal Morn trilogy take place?

1369 according to Volo's Guide to the Dalelands

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Edited by - Asharak on 08 Apr 2011 20:41:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000