Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Skills and Feats of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  11:52:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those were 9th lvl arcane and divine spells, BTW.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  11:59:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Sage, I was just about to do that (having since had the time to look it up).

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  08:58:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Insightful Student

Your character uses insight and innate talent to learn.

Prerequisite: 9- Int, 15+ Wis.

Benefit: Instead of adding a negative Intelligence modifier to your total available skill points, you may add a positive Wisdom modifier.

Special: This feat can only be taken at first level. Its benefits are only available so long as the character’s permanent Intelligence modifier remains below zero.

All Intelligence-based class skills that the character would have had are reduced to cross-class skills. The player may replace those skills with an equal amount of Wisdom-based cross-class skills, which henceforth are considered class skills.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  09:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This feat is really best for the fighter and the barbarian, with the monk following them. It's not as good for spellcasters, since they loose some pretty important class skills.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  09:58:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a good idea Bookwyrm, well constructed and balanced. I'll admit that I have never really thought along the lines of the replacement skills, as you suggest. It is a curious idea, and one that I think could easily be expanded to benefit other classes, simply by alterating the abilities affected by the feat which are tied to their respective skills.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Jun 2003 09:58:45
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  10:15:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greater Sorcery [General]
This feat grants the Sorcerer PC an increase in the number of spells available to him/her at each class level.

Prerequisites: Arcane spellcaster [Sorcerer], Cha 17+, Human.

Benefit: This feat can only be taken at 1st level. The character gains two additional spells only of his choice per level of the PC. The new spells become available only when the PC advances to his next class level.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  10:18:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I designed this feat several months ago when I saw a similar idea for divine spellcasters in 3.5. That idea was later to be revealed as a rumor, and not actually official WotC material. Still I liked the idea and decided to modify it a lot (since the divine feat seemed far to complicated for gaming use), eventually coming up with the idea for sorcerers.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  11:28:00  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it, but why not give it to bards as well?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  11:35:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was pretty much leaving that up to DM's to decide.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  10:21:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a new feat to post -

Lured Attack [General]
Your PC has learned the impressive techniques of attacking opponents when they think or attempt to attack you without guard

Prerequisites: Expertise, Bluff 5 ranks, Dex 13+

Benefits: The PC can, once per round, allow an attack of opportunity by an opponent, but at the same time may attempt an attack of opportunity against the opponent by taking a -2 penalty on the attack roll.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Jul 2003 10:25:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  10:24:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not really sure about this feat though. A barbarian player within my gaming group originally made the suggestion about finding a feat that could take advantage of the 'Attack of Opportunity' mechanic. So I set to work. However I have yet to utilise it in my campaigns so I have no idea how it will work.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  10:36:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neither do I. The wording is confusing . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  10:54:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually now that I have been thinking about it, my friends suggestion made no sense. Attacks of Opportunity exist for a reason, and anything that attempts to subvert that is always going to cause problems.

Thanks for the comment though. It helped to finally make up my mind about it. Perhaps the fact that I knew I was going to dislike the idea coloured my attempts to craft a reasonable feat.

Oh well...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  11:16:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  20:43:50  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are pretty good up there...

I like the Insightful Student. Good thinking man. Good Plutonium Nyborg!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  22:22:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. But plutonium what? Sounds like a radioactive robot . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  18:25:54  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NAH! Something that space pilots like to use to feel high while trying to dock a spaceship, after the frustration of the robot getting the earth chick.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  09:38:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True Salesman [General]

Your character is exceptionally good at getting the most out of sales.

Prerequisite: 15+ Int, Mercantile Background, Silver Palm, Appraise 10 ranks, Bluff 10 ranks. Clerics of Waukeen of at least 5th class level need only one prerequisite feat to qualify for this one.

Benefit: Your character is so good at haggling that he or she sells items at 10% over, and buys at 10% under, the normal asking prices.

Special: This is only available at sales based on haggling. Against characters with the Mercantile Background or Silver Palm feats, roll Bluff checks for both parties. If the character with the True Salesman feat wins or the roll is tied, the effect of that feat are as normal; if the character loses, then the effect does not apply. If the second character in question also has the True Salesman Feat, then the winner gains the effect; the loser does not. If the roll is a tie, the transaction is at normal list price.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 09 Jul 2003 10:10:21
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  09:40:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, is this over-balanced? Did I go too far on the prerequisites or too little on the benefit? Or is it okay?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  09:47:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that for the amount of prerequisites you have listed, I would suggest a 10% over/under benefit.

Other than that it seems well balanced.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  09:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what it was originally. I'll change it back.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  09:49:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually the 'special' portion of the feat is interesting and well done. It also sets it apart from a partially similar feat I believe exists, or was supposed to exist in the upcoming DLCS, for the Kender race.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  09:51:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a good idea. It seems more balanced.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  09:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the idea from something Mournblade mentioned, about Waukeen gifting some of his characters with a 30% version. I was thinking a little while ago that it was too bad that this sort of benefit wasn't more widely available . . . and out came this.

Hmm, maybe I could substitute "cleric of Waukeen" as an alternative; that way only one of the feats is needed for Waukeen's clerics.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  10:02:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good suggestion .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  10:07:28  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll do that then.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 09 Jul 2003 10:07:51
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  10:13:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, it's changed, but I added that the character had to be a 5th level cleric of Waukeen. I had a thought that a character with only one level (for instance, taken just to qualify) would hardly be considered trained up enough to take the place of a feat.

However, do you agree? Or should I decrease it to, say, 3rd level?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  10:19:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I think 5th level is appropriate, the 3rd level suggestion actually seems to fit better. I like it.

Although if you do change it to 3rd level I would suggest (to keep it balanced), that the cleric would need two prerequisites to qualify - perhaps Mercantile Background, and Silver Palm - instead of just one at 5th level.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  10:22:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The whole idea was to put in an alternative to taking one of those feats. The requirement you're suggesting is just the same as the old one.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  10:36:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The feat will become unbalanced, especially for the cleric, if you drop the level requirement without compensating for it.

If the character is a 3rd level cleric of Waukeen, the benefits he receives will far out-weigh the prerequisite requirements.

This is a balancing issue for the feat.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000