Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Suggested Forum change
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  19:16:30  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm not really going to push for this because I don't care, but since there's such a huge time gap between Pre and Post Spellplauge Realms, perhaps there could be 2 General forums, one for discussion about the old and another for the new? Just a suggestion. *shrugs*

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  19:49:15  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, speaking for myself of course I would prefer that we wait until the 4ed. comes out before we start changing things so that we see how the posting habits and topics change. If at all. But any changes are wholly up to Alaundo of course.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  02:16:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am against anything that divides fans of the setting into any kind of separate groups. Obviously, that includes the Spellplague, but that's a WotC delineation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  03:01:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would add, at this point in time there is very little 4th to discuss in the first place.

It is a bad idea, dividing the forum 2nd and 3rd was not considered a good idea because it becomes a divider. There has never been any real problem dicussing rules (If Edition was noted) or the setting.

With the range of changes outlined, all that might be needed is year indication or Edition being discussed.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  05:57:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's a little early to decide something like this. We still haven't received any official 4e publications as yet, and most of the current discussions pertain to future developments... which are still appropriate topics for the existing subforums here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  21:03:26  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not suggesting dividing the fans, there's just a HUGE lore difference between 3E and 4E then there is between AD&D and 3E. Most of the AD&D Realms stuff was still relevant in 3E. Not so when you talk about 4E lore, 1000 years even without spellplague changes a lot.

Edited by - SirUrza on 15 Jan 2008 21:04:04
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  00:41:37  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I'm not suggesting dividing the fans, there's just a HUGE lore difference between 3E and 4E then there is between AD&D and 3E. Most of the AD&D Realms stuff was still relevant in 3E. Not so when you talk about 4E lore, 1000 years even without spellplague changes a lot.

Did you happen to mean 104 years?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  02:22:22  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah yeah yeah, I keep typing a 1000 years.. I've done in 4 times and almost a 5 time because I'm in such a rage to get what I'm typing posted. :P

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  00:56:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be against any divisions as well - like so many settings before it, that would spell disaster for the brand.

I think just about everybody here can get along well enough for this not to become a problem. Lore is lore, after all.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  04:10:38  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not about problems, its about being able to find relevant lore to the time period you're looking for.

Searching for.... Waterdeep.. for example on here is going to yield A LOT of results not relevant to someone playing post-Spellplague.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  08:32:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

It's not about problems, its about being able to find relevant lore to the time period you're looking for.

Searching for.... Waterdeep.. for example on here is going to yield A LOT of results not relevant to someone playing post-Spellplague.

Narrowing the search down by coice of words would help.

Now, I have to say that we have too little info on the 4th Ed as of yet to think of a devision already. If it seems to become a problem later on - fine with me. But until than I rather have all of us scribes at one place.

BTW - I would prefer to have a special 4th Ed. section in the forums (like we have for products, novels and general discussion) rather than a new forum entirely. THis way we keep everything together in one great research and reading hall here in Candlekeep.

Thats my two cents on this....

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  17:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I would be against any divisions as well - like so many settings before it, that would spell disaster for the brand.

I think just about everybody here can get along well enough for this not to become a problem. Lore is lore, after all.

The 4e Realms themselves might spell disaster to the brand. But we will have to wait and see on that one. I also want to continue to encourage people to go to their local game/book/hobby store and check out the FRCG (and maybe the FRPG) before buying or not it, whether they are currently for or against or neutral to the changes.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 17 Jan 2008 17:18:43
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000