Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Your own ideas for a protagonist
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

556 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2008 :  22:10:13  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi guys. Have any of you ever come up with interesting ideas for a protaginist in a novel set in the forgotten realms? It seems like the most interesting central characters have some sort of major contradiction going on i.e. Drizzit, "the Noble Half Elf" while others seem to be manifestations of cool archtypes... Anyway here are a couple of mine that I would love to see chronicled by a major writer i.e. R.A. Salavator or James Baker e.t.c.
A rogue inevitable who retains his sense of justice but deviates from the lawful structure of procedure while his own individual personality asserts itself.
A fallen deva who attempts to win redemption while adventuring with a rag tag group of varied alignment (all neutrals or evil) characers.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  00:23:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I come up with interesting protagonists pretty often, although I wouldn't say I harbor thoughts of actually putting them in novels. They don't all have major contradictions going on, either (by the way, Drizzt is "the noble drow elf", not "the noble half elf).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  00:39:07  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A hot stubborn as a dwarf female bladesinger moonelf trying to restore her family honor and claim her moonblade heritage. Father a moon elf, mother a sunelf. Blond.. shoulder length hair.. mithral half-plate wearer (with skirt!)

What can I say, I'm a guy. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  13:13:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

A hot stubborn as a dwarf female bladesinger moonelf trying to restore her family honor and claim her moonblade heritage. Father a moon elf, mother a sunelf. Blond.. shoulder length hair.. mithral half-plate wearer (with skirt!)

I'm not so sure about the mithral half-plate, but other than that you've pretty much nailed Azariah, Elaith Craulnober's daughter. I envision her growing up to be a kick-ass gold elf heroine. Because it's about time we had one of those.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  13:39:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

I'm not so sure about the mithral half-plate, but other than that you've pretty much nailed Azariah, Elaith Craulnober's daughter. I envision her growing up to be a kick-ass gold elf heroine. Because it's about time we had one of those.

Heh, with the Serpent as her dad, I think the kick-ass part is pretty much hard-wired into her genes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  14:00:35  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

See, when I saw this, I first read it as "a hot, stubborn dwarf female" and was all for it, then saw the rest and sighed.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  14:00:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Heh, with the Serpent as her dad, I think the kick-ass part is pretty much hard-wired into her genes.

And her mother was Kalia Dawnstar, a famous gold elf singer and thesbian. So she's got the hawt genes going for her, as well.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  14:04:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So she was a bard?

I like the idea of a hot, stubborn dwarf protagonist, actually.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  14:39:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

So she was a bard?

Well, if you want to put it THAT way....

quote:

There's that, too. Unfortunately, a dwarf doesn't really fit the current ideal of feminine beauty. And you could give a male dwarf a Sean Connery accent, rugged good looks, and an eye for the ladies, and people would still find him cute or comic relief.

Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  23:35:53  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
There's that, too. Unfortunately, a dwarf doesn't really fit the current ideal of feminine beauty.

Well I can't speak for others but I've always found bearded ladies intriguing to say the least.

Edited by - Theophilus on 03 Jan 2008 23:36:37
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  23:37:40  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sean Connery as a dwarf! ROTFLMAO!

Ok.. now that that's out of my system...

Never really occurred to me that I was picturing Azariah's possible future. Something to look forward to. ;)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  00:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
There's that, too. Unfortunately, a dwarf doesn't really fit the current ideal of feminine beauty. And you could give a male dwarf a Sean Connery accent, rugged good looks, and an eye for the ladies, and people would still find him cute or comic relief.

Sad, but true.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  00:31:46  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Would it be wishful thinking to hope to see this in print?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  02:23:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:

Would it be wishful thinking to hope to see this in print?

Probably.
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  02:55:10  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess anything that applies to Dwarves applies to Gnomes. I'd still like to write a gnomish firearms manufacturer as a protagonist, but that might be unpopular on multiple fronts.
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  03:24:09  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I profer anti-heros.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  19:42:50  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So long as you are creative with the names... I do not want to see any gnome protagonists named Smithinwessin, or familiars named Glock.

quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

I guess anything that applies to Dwarves applies to Gnomes. I'd still like to write a gnomish firearms manufacturer as a protagonist, but that might be unpopular on multiple fronts.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000