Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Whence came the Monstrous Compendium plants?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  18:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What were the original sources for the Monstrous Compendium: Forgotten Realms plants?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  19:38:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeds.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  20:19:20  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Seeds.

*chuckles*

A better answer is seeds of plants develped within the shared world. I suspect over half came from Ed, but do not know with any certaincy.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  23:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't seem to find my MC3. List 'em and I'll try and dig out the sources.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2007 :  01:26:20  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Can't seem to find my MC3. List 'em and I'll try and dig out the sources.

Thanks! Will do.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  22:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Festina lente.

Here are the listed plants whose first written appearances I am seeking as well as their first use in a novel or story, if they have been so used, with their alternative names in parentheses:

Carnivorous Plants:

Retch Plant (Globe Palm)
Snapper-Saw (Forester's Bane)
Thornslinger
Viper Vine
Whipweed
Willow, Black
Witherweed

If they have been re-stated for third edition, I'd appreciate being told where, please.

The following aren't plants, but I'd like to know some extra information about them, too, please, as indicated:

Dimensional Warper -- type? first appearance? fiction appearances?
Feyr -- type?
Gaund -- first appearance? fiction appearances?
Hender -- type? first appearance? fiction appearances? why no silver in their treasure?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated, fellow scholars!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  22:49:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the sundew?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 25 Jul 2008 22:50:25
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  23:07:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all. The Gaund is an Ed-created beastie, and first appeared in DRAGON.
The sundew is a real-world plant, just made giant-sized and jazzed up a bit for D&D use, and I believe it first appeared in the Slavelords adventure modules.
Black Willow is, I believe, someone's take (not Ed's) on Tolkien's Old Man Willow's evil lesser brethren.
I can't recall if Ed had anything to do with the other plant "monsters." I'll check.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  23:16:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone ever made giant venus flytraps?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  09:17:46  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Lady Hooded One. The Gaund shows up in "Dragon's Bestiary" in Dragon 46. Has it ever made it into fiction? (Or is "Dragon's Bestiary" a fictional framework, as were many "Ecology of ..." articles?) None of the others show up in DragonDex, or they appear in articles which don't answer my specific questions.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, you may want to check "The Ecology of Carnivorous Plants" by Gregg Chamberlain in Dragon 137, which discusses your faves and references an article in Dragon 89, which features the Giant Venus Fly-Trap and Giant Pitcher Plant ("Creature Catalog" by Roger Moore). Red Sundew is in "Bad Seeds," Dragon 292.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  18:33:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

On Toril, they are known as Coliar Flytraps.

Just kidding of course - and a rather obscure joke at that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  20:29:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

And yet, I get it.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  20:31:05  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The whipweed and witherweed are from the Fiend Folio; the retch plant, forester's bane and black willow from Monster Manual II. Feyr, thornslinger and viper vine are in MC11, the 2nd Forgotten Realms appendix; I'm not sure if it's their first appearance. Hender and dimensional warper I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  20:53:11  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lady Herald, I skimmed through "The Ecology of Carnivorous Plants" and there was a running comparison of those plants with the black willow, which had already been published elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  22:17:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And yet, I get it.

You know - I even went so far as to make sure I picked the right one for the 'equivalent'.

As an aside, Rinon's post (and my subsequent joke) got me thinking - its really not all that bad an idea. I think I may have to inlcude the Coliar Flytrap in the Malatra section of my Kara-Tur material.

Maybe throw in a little bit of lore about a Shou Dragonship that had done some exploring and sample-collecting, but then crashed on its way back to Shou-Lung in the remote jungles.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2008 :  01:29:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

And yet, I get it.

As do I.

Now, which of you has actually both made and used that reference in an actual SJ/FR crossover campaign? I know I have.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2008 :  04:09:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

quote:

And yet, I get it.

As do I.

Now, which of you has actually both made and used that reference in an actual SJ/FR crossover campaign? I know I have.

Well, you've got me out-geeked.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  00:11:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, you may want to check "The Ecology of Carnivorous Plants" by Gregg Chamberlain in Dragon 137, which discusses your faves and references an article in Dragon 89, which features the Giant Venus Fly-Trap and Giant Pitcher Plant ("Creature Catalog" by Roger Moore). Red Sundew is in "Bad Seeds," Dragon 292.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Hope no one's ever made any "evil" cacti or succulents. That would be heartbreaking.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  00:12:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As an aside, Rinon's post (and my subsequent joke) got me thinking - its really not all that bad an idea. I think I may have to inlcude the Coliar Flytrap in the Malatra section of my Kara-Tur material.

Do it! Do it!

Have to admit I didn't get the joke though. Hint?

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  03:13:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

Hope no one's ever made any "evil" cacti or succulents. That would be heartbreaking.

Those would be "Needle Men," sentient cacti who throw their spines as a porcupine does its quills. (Hmmm... they are probably Neutral, though, not Evil. Check the AD&D Fiend Folio. Third Edition "Needlefolk" are "always Neutral.")

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  03:52:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Do it! Do it!

Have to admit I didn't get the joke though. Hint?

Venus is the second planet from the sun in our solar system. Coliar is the second planet from the sun in Realmspace.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  04:33:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

They're not exactly evil, but there's some cactus-men in China Mièville's books that aren't very nice.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  04:42:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

They're not exactly evil, but there's some cactus-men in China Mièville's books that aren't very nice.
The Cactacae of Bas-Lag. I love those guys!

They were, along with many of the other races/monsters from Mièville's "Bas-Lag" books, given d20 stats in DRAGON #352

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  16:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Those would be "Needle Men," sentient cacti who throw their spines as a porcupine does its quills. (Hmmm... they are probably Neutral, though, not Evil. Check the AD&D Fiend Folio. Third Edition "Needlefolk" are "always Neutral.")

My cacti don't do that.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  16:45:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Venus is the second planet from the sun in our solar system. Coliar is the second planet from the sun in Realmspace.

Got it. Thank you!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000