Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Legacy of the Drow
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  17:27:51  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been reading through the collected editions of the R.A Salvatore books.

First up I read the Icewind Dale Trilogy, which in my opinion was a fantastic read, and each book got better and better as you started to appreciate the group of characters.

Then....I started to read the Legacy of the Drow collectors series, starting of course with 'The Legacy'. At first I thought that this was a nice start to the series being a direct follow on to the events in the Icewind Dale trilogy, but then I got halfway through and I started to think that all there was to this story was a bunch of endless fights.

It was Dwarves fight goblins, Drizzt Vs Entreri, Bruenor & co Vs Drow, Dwarves Vs Drow, More Drizzt Vs Entreri and so on.

Has anyone else read this series and felt the same way. I just can't believe that after the great Icewind dale series that Salvatores stories became an endless series of battles.

I just hope I don't get to The Thousand Orcs and he describes killing each one individually

Please someone give me hope that Starless Night and the rest of this series might improve.

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  17:44:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Has anyone else read this series and felt the same way. I just can't believe that after the great Icewind dale series that Salvatores stories became an endless series of battles.

That's one of the reasons I stopped reading DAHBOR (Drizzt and his band of reknown) books. That reason plus rehashed plots and little character development.

I tried getting into the new series and picked up "A Thousand Orcs." Needless to say, here we go again...... After I finished the "novel," I quickly shipped the book to a military person stationed overseas who I had talked to on the WOTC board. He was a Salvatore fan and I wanted someone to get some enjoyment out of the book especially if it was someone serving my nation and unable to get new books he loved. I definitely recall those days.
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  23:33:03  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Paths of Darkness gets a little better. Spine of the World develops Wulfgar a little bit. The others are ok

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  01:16:12  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a breath of fresh air to hear some people have not let the fact that Drizzt is a great character folling them into thinking that the other books are GREAT. I liked them, I read them fast, but I realize they are basically comic books without the art.

Legacy through Starless night is OK. The books after Starless night are borderline terrible. If not for Drizzt I would have put them down long before I reached page 100. ICewind dale trilogy was INCREDIBLE!!!! It is still my favourite of them all!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  01:25:34  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you guys. I loved up through the Legacy Series but after that the books have hit a stagnant pool. I barely got into the Spine oif the World then I sent it back to the library. I'm in the middle of the Servent of the Shard and I'm barely sludging through it. Sadon likes SotS but so far it's reather stagnant.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  01:37:45  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realized that there was a lot of fighting in the Legacy of the Drow but I find that there was more than just "hack and slash". It's been a while since I've read those books but if I recall correctly a lot of it was about Drizzt's struggle and his morals and ethics.
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  04:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, i guess it depends on what youre looking for when you read them. If you want a fun, light read filled with action, then these are excellent. If you want more indepth characters and realmslore, i suppose you could always read some Greenwood. Im not bashing Salvatore, i love his work to death, but it could always have more character development

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page

KlarthAilerion
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  08:10:40  Show Profile  Visit KlarthAilerion's Homepage Send KlarthAilerion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
here's a "fun" little aside... try and keep track of how many times "the five friends" or "the five companions" are used in those books. That got even more tiring than the hack'n'slash
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  13:31:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel rather strange now to admit that I enjoyed the whole "Drizzt", series. Sure they had the comic books without the art aspect described by Mournblade, but I actually liked that, as it made the action all the more intense and emotive, as well as real. The only real problem I had with it was that sometimes, the battles were too played out, and I started to find them disinteresting, and predictable.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

DrizzitFan
Acolyte

Singapore
26 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  07:41:59  Show Profile  Visit DrizzitFan's Homepage Send DrizzitFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icewind Dale n Dark Elf trilogies were great IMO, agree that the rest tapers out into fights usually ending w uber-hero Drizzit kicking someone's behind. Would be good to have a comics done on the hero drow though - ooh, the flashing scimitars, so pretty...
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  17:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dark Elf Trilogy and The Icewind Dale Trilogy were Novels that stand above most Fr books IMO. The rest of the books are entertaining, but I defiantly get the feeling that RAS is putting more of his thought and time into his other writing and the Drizzt books are becoming an after thought.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

DrizzitFan
Acolyte

Singapore
26 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  04:28:59  Show Profile  Visit DrizzitFan's Homepage Send DrizzitFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're right on that count Mythander. Think he's best work has been in the Demonwars series after IWD and DE Trilogy. Seems that WotC just needs him to churn out a Drizzt book now n then to get sales n awareness. Honestly, I like RAS's writing n the Drizzt series, just wish more effort could be put in to make each book as compelling as the original 6.
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  15:59:36  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DrizzitFan

You're right on that count Mythander. Think he's best work has been in the Demonwars series after IWD and DE Trilogy. Seems that WotC just needs him to churn out a Drizzt book now n then to get sales n awareness. Honestly, I like RAS's writing n the Drizzt series, just wish more effort could be put in to make each book as compelling as the original 6.

All we can hope is that his passions either even out or make a switch.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000