Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shadow Weave vs Weave in spell battle
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  23:21:29  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Spoilers Ahead from the Return of the Archwizards Series

I know that in the Return of the Archwizards series, when spells from Mystra's Weave and Shar's Shadow Weave were cast very close together (in space and time), it wound up tearing a hole in the Sharn Wall. What devastating effects, if any, would a battle between Shadow Weave users and Weave users have if it were out in the open and not near anything as Weave-intensive as the Sharn Wall?

I understand why and how the Shadow Weave and the Weave react to each other, similar to matter and antimatter, but I'm not sure what that reaction would produce. Any help on clearing this up would be really appreciated, since one of my more astute players asked that question earlier today about his Shade character.

I also told him that Shar would frown on him using magical items enchanted using Mystra's Weave rather than the Shadow Weave. Please let me know if I was correct in telling him that. It's what my gut says, but my gut has lied to me before.

Thanks in advance for any help you ladies and gentlemen can give.

A Humble New DM,
Calrond

Edited by - Calrond on 07 Nov 2007 00:54:28

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  00:38:32  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you happen to read up to the part where Storm silverhand casts silverfire(Pure weave magic) at a shadow adept who came to attack Elminster? It hit his shield, condenced, and then absorbed oncomming spells(Killing the adept), then it tore a hole in the fabric of the realm, opening a gateway to hell. Elminster had to go into the hole to close it from the other side. Happens in "The summoning" of Return of the archwizards.
It is kind of like throwing a bag of holding into a chest of holding X 20.

For the rest of the series, both sides avoided using spell that relied on pure weave or shadow weave magic because of that incident. Except at one point, when Khelben Blackstaff and 4 other chosen are attacking Telamont Tanthul(A being of pure shadow weave) and his princes. Khelben casts silverfire at Telamont, who somehow creates a shadowshield capable of blocking Silverfire(Should be impossible, but Telamont is one of the top 5 mages in Faerun)
As for enchanted items, im not sure if their enchatment would be powerful enough to matter.
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  00:54:01  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I read that part of the book, and it was an awesome scene. It makes sense that the two sides wouldn't cast full-on Weave or Shadow Weave attacks, but neither silver fire or its Shadow Weave equivalent* were present when the Sharn Wall was broken. That means that regular spells from both Weaves, when they come together, can have really devastating results, though not as devastating as when a gateway to Avernus is opened in Shadowdale.

Are there any references to what happens when minor spells from each Weave are cast close together? Since Galaeron kept getting warned not to do it, I'd imagine that it could have serious effects, even with minor spells.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  01:08:25  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't need to be silver fire to be a more pure weave spell. They discussed this in detail in the book. It just needed to be a more weave heavy spell to have dire consequences. Both sides shied from using weave or shadow weave intensive spells. Some spells are less weave intensive than others. Same with the Shadow weave. The spells they cast when the sharn wall came down just happened to both be weave/shadow intensive.

Edited by - Firestorm on 07 Nov 2007 01:09:00
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  17:10:40  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, at the beginning of The Summoning, it was Galaeron's magic missile spell that mixed with what-his-face's spell that caused the tear in the Sharn Wall. It just has to be a spell that is "pure weave" energy. So, spells with an energy descriptor (acid, cold, electricity, fire, force, et cetera) are not "pure weave" energy. I am not sure if there is a list of "pure weave" spells or not, that would be a good project for someone who was really interested and/or had too much time on their hands.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  19:35:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I am not sure if my question on this was posted on Candlekeep yesterday before my system went down or not, so I'll ask it again here, since it's relevant: Can a spellfire wielder absorb Shadow Weave magic and reuse it as spellfire? Would something Very Bad happen if someone tried to do that?

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10208&SearchTerms=spellfire

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

At your Behest
Acolyte

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  20:10:59  Show Profile  Visit At your Behest's Homepage Send At your Behest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings!

I think that this question has already been answered by Ed. But we 'll have to wait for one of the eidetic FR memories to recite what he said as I cannot remember.

Cheers!

EDIT: Well, Kuje was even quickere than my reply ^^

Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn.

Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yeah, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.

Edited by - At your Behest on 07 Nov 2007 20:14:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000