Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dogs in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  20:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there "canon" races of the realms ?
Does it exist official source about dogs in the realms ?

We just can read about these races :
the moorhound - one of the savage hunting dogs bred exclusively on the Moonshae Islands (Darkwalker On Moonshae).
The Mastiff - another great pet which can be found in many areas of the Realms.
Terriers are dexcribed in Port of Ravens Bluff.
The Kupuk, or walrus dog is described in The great Glacier.
So are three varieties of sled dogs : heteff, okteff, mukteff

Snake-dog from Chult and Frenzy dog from Chondalwood are not pure canine races so they wont have a place here. But you can find their description in these articles :
in the Candlekeep website : here,
or in the Wizards website : here

There is an article in Candlekeep website about Dogs in the realms. Itdeals with few peticular races of pets within realms : as Ahrnhand, Daeraman, Darovoi, Femmari,... here :
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/dogs.htm
But these races are totally uncanon.

I'll be back to give more informations about those races and about other ones.

Thanks a lot from a French musher !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 19 Sep 2008 21:06:38

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  21:00:10  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The moorhound (and a couple of others I think) are detailed in Races of Faerun unless my memory is really playing tricks on me. The other dogs are not canon as far as I know, but it is not a subject that has had to much written about it.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  21:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
try Complete Riding Dog: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/news/20070401c

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Edited by - Sian on 24 Oct 2007 21:19:07
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  00:27:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I found several month ago an article on Candlekeep website about Dogs in the realms. It was about few peticular races of pets within realms : as Ahrnhand, Daeraman, Darovoi, Femmari,... here :
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/dogs.htm
I don't believe this is canon. This is quite an old article which appeared at Candlekeep in the early days and I'm not sure if the author is still contactable. I don't immediately recall any of these dogs being referenced in the Realmslore. I'll admit, it's been quite a while since I've looked up such references, but they're not immediately ringing any bells.
quote:
Are there "canon" races of the realms ?
Does it exist official source about dogs in the realms ?

Another one has been published : http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/dogs2.htm which comes from WotC website.

I've read about the moorhound - one of the savage hunting dogs bred exclusively on the Moonshae Islands (Darkwalker On Moonshae).
Did anyone read about other ones ?

Thanks a lot from a French musher !
Terriers -- from Port of Ravens Bluff. From The Great Glacier, there is information on Kupuk [walrus dogs] on pg. 54, and three varieties of sled dogs [heteff, okteff, mukteff] on pg. 55. Ed's also talked a little about dogs in his replies here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Oct 2007 00:28:48
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  02:03:04  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there were dogs and a winter wolf and worgs in the third book of the dark elf trilogy.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  04:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very so much.

especially about sled dogs !

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  18:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Digging through my 2nd edition monster manual, I have entries for the following types of dogs, not including wolves, foxes, or other canines.

Wild Dog
War Dog
Blink Dog
Death Dog
Bog Hound
Moor Hound
Hell Hound
Moon Dog
Ruve
Saluqi
Silver Dog
Yeth Hound

There may be more that I haven't run across yet in my project to create a massive cross-indexed .pdf version of all my assorted 2nd edition monster manuals.
Go to Top of Page

IronAngel
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  19:14:13  Show Profile  Visit IronAngel's Homepage Send IronAngel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What of cooshees? I haven't seen references in any Realms sources, but I haven't really read that much anyway. The Elves of Evermeet mentions the Complete Book of Elves as a valuable source to use with TEoE, but there's no specific mention of the animal.
Go to Top of Page

Caedwyr
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  20:29:09  Show Profile  Visit Caedwyr's Homepage Send Caedwyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think cooshees are one of the ones I haven't gotten to yet. You might also find them under 'Elven dogs'.

Also, I was looking at some 2nd Edition Planescape material the other night, and saw mention of the various animal lords of the beastlands. It had something on the dog lord (among others) that gave the current state of dogs under his purview. I'll try to post something more solid later when I can look at my books.

Edit: Nope, nothing in Kings of the Wild, which turns out to be a unofficial work that heavily references official works.

Edited by - Caedwyr on 29 Oct 2007 23:08:21
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  03:47:32  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The climbdog from Arms and Equipment Guide, while not officially referenced in the Realms, is a good fit for the Ghostwise halflings.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  04:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just happened across an old article on WotC entiled Dogs in the Forgoten Realms. It details snake dogs of Chult and frenzy dogs of the Chondalwood.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  04:40:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye. 'Twas the article stored here at Candlekeep and referenced earlier in this scroll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  05:20:35  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Aye. 'Twas the article stored here at Candlekeep and referenced earlier in this scroll.

So it was, I guess I should've actually followed the second link .

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  14:21:51  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

So it was, I guess I should've actually followed the second link .

Along with this, I wonder if there are dog shows for the nobles of Waterdeep or Sembia...

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  21:08:41  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remade the original post.
But I still need informations.

Any news about cooshees, some dogs which are described in the MMII and climbdogs.
I'm on the track.

Read you soon.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  21:21:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are plenty of Mutts, with one featured In Crypt of the Moaning Diamond by the lovely and talented Rosemary Jones!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  07:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Red One.
I'll have a look at it.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000