Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 priest of lathander in silverymoon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  16:32:43  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As of 1372DR, there's no head priest of Lathander in the temple at Silverymoon; according to Silver Marches, the post will be claimed by whomever puts the appropriate "sign" on the altar (by divine decree). Is there a canon head priest by 1374? (Otherwise, I'll decide by myself. ) Thanks!

My DnD Links and Creations

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  20:08:11  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot think of any book being published since Silver Marches that might give us such a detail. Therefore I guess your take on this is as good as any other......

The North Sourcebook, p. 53 Cities (available as free download on the Wizards home page) gives some suggestions though:

'Year 1371: Rhyester's Matins: This is a holy site of Lathander, the first temple founded by his prophet, the blind Rhyester of Silverymoon, in 717 Dalereckoning. While it started as a small log and mud building taking up only a quarter of the site, it#146;s now one of Silverymoon's major temples. Its congregation hall is two stories tall and the temple and altar are breathtaking. The entire ceiling and eastern wall of the temple are made from glassteel and inset with small prisms to provide a wonderful array of rainbows when the dawn's light strikes them during morning services.
Unfortunately, situations within the temple are not as beautiful as its ornaments. Mornmaster Onadar Ryl (NG hm P16) lies on his death bed after a long, arduous illness severely weakened his 92-year-old body. The temple elders are deadlocked on their decision between two candidates for the post of Mornmaster: Onadar's son, Lavis Ryl (LN hm P11) and Kuth Charagon (NG hm P10). Lavis was an assumed heir of his father's, but he was never officially proclaimed such by Onadar and spent the last three years away from Silverymoon. Kuth is a lifelong native, a popular speaker, and acted as the Mornmaster's second for the past two years. Both men are suited for the post, but if the succession isn't secured by the time of Onadar's death, the High Mage may have to intervene in temple business.'

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 20 Oct 2007 20:56:45
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  13:32:45  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, thanks! I have The North but didn't think to look there b/c it is about an earlier time period. You're right, though, these two are good suggestions, though Silver Marches makes it sound like neither was acceptable to Lathander for some reason. I'll keep then under advisement when I make something up; lots of room for background story here.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  14:31:12  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

Hey, thanks! I have The North but didn't think to look there b/c it is about an earlier time period. You're right, though, these two are good suggestions, though Silver Marches makes it sound like neither was acceptable to Lathander for some reason. I'll keep then under advisement when I make something up; lots of room for background story here.

Not acceptable to Lathander as of yet. That leaves the option that the situation has not changed at all since 1371. Only because in Silver Marches nothing is mentioned about the candidates does not mean they are 'of the list', if you like it to be so. And after all, The North and the Silver Marches lore is only one year apart (1371 to 1372 DR).

Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  10:40:08  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take a look at the Silver Marches Web Enhancement too, it presents 3 magic items that may or may not be the "rightful sign" that must be laid on the altar.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  11:35:32  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brenigin

Take a look at the Silver Marches Web Enhancement too, it presents 3 magic items that may or may not be the "rightful sign" that must be laid on the altar.

Great find Brenigin! It is available for download here: More Marches.

The described items are:

1. Nightbreaker: This +1 ghost touch disruption heavy mace is a sacred item to the church of the Morninglord, having been wielded by a successive line of paladins of the Order of the Aster. The item was lost in 1344 DR, when its bearer left to destroy a lair of specters, and has not been seen since. Certain members of the clergy believe this item to be the “rightful sign” of Lathander’s favor described in the Rhyester’s Matins (temple) entry in the Silverymoon section of The Silver Marches.
Caster Level: 14th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, heal, plane shift; Market Price: 32,312 gp; Cost to Create: 16,312 gp + 1,280 xp.

2. Scouring Sunlight: This +1 holy light mace sheds light when drawn. At the end are three large gems, one red, one orange, and one a brilliant yellow, each carved with Lathander’s holy symbol. Once per day the mace can invoke searing light. The weapon was lost in a crusade against the forces of Ghaunadaur, drow god of oozes, and has not been seen for nearly 100 years. Certain clergy members believe this item to be the “rightful sign” of Lathander’s favor described in the Rhyester’s Matins (temple) entry in the Silverymoon section of The Silver Marches.
Caster Level: 5th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, holy smite, searing light, creator must be good; Market Price: 28,305 gp; Cost to Create: 14,305 gp + 1,120 XP.

3. Rose Mask: This “mask,” made of a hard rose-colored crystal, is shaped like the front of an open-faced helm rather than a traditional mask. At the brow is etched the symbol of Lathander. The wearer of the mask gains a +4 morale bonus to saves against fear effects and a +4 enhancement bonus to Constitution. Certain members of the clergy believe this item to be the “rightful sign” of Lathander’s favor described in the Rhyester’s Matins (temple) entry in the Silverymoon section of The Silver Marches.
Caster Level: 14th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, heal, plane shift; Market Price: 21,000 gp.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 25 Oct 2007 11:40:13
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2007 :  17:33:43  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, this is great! I had originally just wanted to put someone in the job, but I now want to create more subplots (after reading Ed's article in Kobold Quarterly #2). I think I'll introduce the PCs to the story and have an NPC (none of the PCs worship Lathander) find one of these items later on sometime. Hehehehe.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000