Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 good cold weather mount?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  05:50:29  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I'm running a campaign in the Silver Marches (mentioned in another thread), and I'm thinking about getting the PCs out of Silverymoon heading toward Deadsnows sometime around the end of Ches. What would be a good mount for them to ride through the still possibly wintry weather? There are a couple of possibilities among the horses in Champions of Valor, but something more exotic would be nice. In addition, I've thought about Rothe (not really mounts, much better as herd animals) and Branta (from Silver Marches), but they would both require flavor changes I don't find appealing. Any suggestions?

My DnD Links and Creations

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  05:56:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there is the solid standby the mule, sure footed and clearly can be long haired.

Exotic mounts could include Dire Wolves or Worgs, but I would not trust the Worg *wink*

Flying mounts of course can be intereting as well.

Part of the problem with answer is you do not want "flavor changes I don't find appealing" and it is hard for me (or many others) to know what you will find appealing.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ugly is the new black
Seeker

Australia
81 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  06:51:01  Show Profile  Visit Ugly is the new black's Homepage Send Ugly is the new black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got three words for you, buddy: "Dwarven Ram Mounts". Pick up a few at Mithral Hall.

love,
nathan.

As he knelt on the ground with his brothers around and the taste of his blood on his tongue,
His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer, and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,
"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman's taken my life,
But what does it matter? For all men must die, and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  14:08:35  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the rothe would be my first choice, a frost giant trained mammoth, if one could get one, might also work. There is also a type of herd animal detailed in Giantcraft ( the name escapes me) that is highly resistant to cold if I remember correctly.

I second the question about the flavor changes though.
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  14:18:58  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dog sleds are always an option. But Ches (March) may be a little late in the winter to be able to use sleds, especially in the lower parts of the river valleys. What about having them ride elk or larger deers. Maybe the PC's find a druid or ranger who has trained the elk and deer. If they do her a little favor, she let them ride her beasts.

If you'd like to get even more exotic, use dwarven trained Dire Mountain Goats and Dire Badgers or even have a gnome or halfling village with a few Dire Rabbits as mounts. Depending on the feeling your trying to evoke, maybe let the PC's do a strech of the journey on Pegasus or Griffon back..

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  14:37:36  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, about the flavor changes I meant that rothe are very skittish AFAICT from their description, so they don't seem suitable for mounts unless that is changed. Similarly, branta are described as "never been domesticated," which I could change but don't feel quite as comfortable about. I guess I'm wondering if there is any known domesticated species used for this. For example, for travel in the Underdark, there are several varieties of lizard available. I'm looking for something similar for cold weather travel.

I like the flying mounts, though...

Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  16:04:20  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just because branta "have never been domesticated" doesn't mean you couldn't have one as a mount(think of mustangs in the south west).
i think, for the most part, from your last post; you might be better off sticking with the northern breeds of horses from the champ of valor.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  17:14:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
White dragons are a natural choice as a cold weather mount.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  17:17:17  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tauntaun!

no seriosly wolf or something.

or if you are uber cool a dragon.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  17:23:44  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After checking Giantcraft I would say that the Krotter is the perfect mount for arctic terrain, but as you are not heading for the harshest areas of the north I would say that sleds, drawn by tough horses or even dogs would be your best choice, in addition to various charmed "monsters" and animals.
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  19:29:24  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're out for normal mounts (that is, horses and the like), I don't think much change is needed.
If they're tamed wild animals -instead of domestic ones- they're probably a little bigger than the "base" version.

Some sort of arctic pony (icelandic horse, anyone?) would probably be able to draw a sled. Since winter is alittle longer in the marches, they could probably reach Deadsnows before spring blossoms.
Remember to read about the spring weather on page 47 in the Silver Marches - it's not a jolly time for travelers.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  03:57:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A muskox!

Although I don't know if those are easily tamed...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2007 :  18:07:48  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, in the end, I think I'll go with a mix of things. Some well-trained cold-weather equines, maybe some dogs, and someone will get a fractious branta.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000