Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  01:02:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

And then, of course, there's the HUGE original map of the city of Waterdeep, that covers the floor of a large room . . .
I've got a nice large-ish white-wall in my library room which would be the perfect place for such a map.

Ed, if you ever need a *place* to store it...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  01:08:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed didn't send it to TSR on 17x35 mapsheets; he sent it to them on foolscap-length photocopies, overlapped copiously to minimize photocopier "around the edges" distortion (so buildings would line up, and all distortions, by judicious cut-and-paste surgery, could be shifted into the "white space" of streets and alleys.
By, Shaundakul, that would've been something to see.

A lot of my old Realms maps that I personally generated exist in much the same way. I spent hours ensuring each edge of every page would match-up with the next section of the map. My attention to detail was meticulous. Even when such areas weren't included on maps, or detailed in the Realmslore, I'd generate my own map locations and include them on the map.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jun 2009 01:09:56
Go to Top of Page

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  05:27:03  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nightseer

Whoa...

What issue was the "DRAGON article on Crimmor" in?

I just bought said issue for $1.00 from Paizo.
Lisa Stevens is selling off magazines cut rate. I guess they are moving.
http://paizo.com/store/blog#v5748dyo5lach
Quick question, It said that Crimmor was the first article by Mr. Greenwood on cities in the Realms. What other issues do I NEED to get?

Shar!

Edited by - Nightseer on 09 Jun 2009 05:32:18
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  06:38:37  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
Logically, if Shar's a primordial, then so is Selune.

Possibly - if the creation myth that both are 'true' sisters is correct.
Selune migth have emerged as a primal creature tied to the feywild, a mother-of-archfey (it fits with her associations with the moon and Sehanine Moonbow). The embodiment of light and fey.
Shar could have been a more distructive primal force tied to the shadowfell. The embodiment of shadow and death.
The beings born from their battle would be true deities (a bit like the greek myths) - with possibly a few exceptions to account for darker primal or shadow beings born from Shar, or the archfey born from Selune. The battle that brought forth Mystryl may even have removed part of their primal nature.
They would also have sided with their children in the Dawn War, and being powerful enough to grant spells, possibly awarded by Ao or gained through the birth of Mystryl, people would forget - if they ever knew - of the two's true origin.
But the origin may still be there. Shar is a destructive force, and who says how supportive her role was in the Dawn War, and if she does not, secretly, still turn to the primordials from which she came to have the end of the universe realized. The death of Mystra may have returned a portion of her primal power to her, and in seeking out that power may grow yet again into a primordial force.

Gomez

Edited by - gomez on 09 Jun 2009 06:41:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  06:47:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Looking at how Shar acts made what her goal is, I was wondering whether Shar could be a deified Primordial, rather than a 'mere' deity. History seems to oppose this idea, but if you look at how Shar works in Shadow Realm (from Paul Kemp), it is not hard to imagine her being one - possibly without the other gods being aware - seieng as she was bron from the chaos like the primordials themselves.
What does Ed think of this idea?

Logically, if Shar's a primordial, then so is Selune.

And by extension, Mystryl would have been a primordial, as well.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  08:08:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Folks, it might be more convenient to take this speculative side-discussion about other Primordial-beings, to another scroll. Please? Let's keep this one set on questions for Ed.

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  09:52:51  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
It started with a question for Ed: his opinion/take on the Shar-is-a-primordial theory.
I just expanded the theory a bit.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  14:36:17  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message
Hey THO...
What's better for Ed? His message, or El's message probably would have the same impact.

Obviously, El's message would be different, but even so, if there's any problem writing on his name, we would understand. Thanks THO!

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  17:28:20  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
quote:

Rhewtani, a proper answer from Ed is still forthcoming, but he wanted you to know right away that the family line persists. Specifically:

There is indeed still a House Tsornyl, though these days they are few in number, go by another name, and are powerful in another place in the Realms.

So ... un ... fair.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  18:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Sorry, is this House Tsornyl from A GRAND HISTORY? I'm drawing a blank on where they're mentioned in Realmslore . . .
Anyone?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  19:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:

The map Blueblade's referring to DWARFS the City System map. We're talking over 20 17" x 35" inch white pieces of paper, with buildings drawn on them as black outlines ("empty boxes" not "filled in boxes"). A typical rectangular two-to-three or three-to-four storey Waterdhavian building, with street-level shop and two or three floors of living quarters above, is a rectangle of about 3/4" wide by around 1" long (in other words, the base of an old Airfix model soldier figure will JUST fit inside one, which is how Ed denoted where "the PC party" was, where Watch patrols were, where "bad guys we were following" were, and so on. Trees, ponds, public pumps, fountains, and statues were all included, too.
In other words, HUGE. Two lucky gamers, out there in the world, have copies of this (aside from whoever kept it at TSR, if it didn't just go into the dumpster): it was a "door prize" at a long-ago PHANTASM convention in Peterborough, Ontario (the Guests of Honor that year were Richard and Lilly Garfield, and Ed), and it was a charity auction item at a Milwaukee-era GenCon.
Ed didn't send it to TSR on 17x35 mapsheets; he sent it to them on foolscap-length photocopies, overlapped copiously to minimize photocopier "around the edges" distortion (so buildings would line up, and all distortions, by judicious cut-and-paste surgery, could be shifted into the "white space" of streets and alleys.
When CITY SYSTEM came out, all of us original players were greatly disappointed, not just at the small size of the maps, but at the "districts get strong color hues" rather than having cobbles, dirt, and building roofs. I'm a big girl; I can tell boundaries by myself by reading street names and referring to a 1-page district boundaries guide.
Ah, well . . .
love to all,
THO

I'm one of the lucky few with a copy of a copy of Ed's original Waterdeep map(s) PLUS the close-ups he'd done for the Volo's Waterdeep materials. It was all part of his turnover for the 1993 CITY OF SPLENDORS box and I've sneakily kept my 1.3 inch-think pile of 11x17" sheets of that map in a safe place. It was vastly helpful when I worked on Blackstaff Tower to check against some of the lesser known neighborhoods up in Sea Ward (as the foundations aren't apt to change, no matter how many times the buildings fall over). :)

Steven
who isn't gloating but noting that Ed (and Professor Tolkien) set the bar on how to detail a world for stories and hopes to put it to use sooner than later....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  19:17:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Where did you say you live again Steven? I've got a scanner and it would be a TERRIFIC shame if we didn't have an electronic backup of those pages...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 09 Jun 2009 19:18:22
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  20:57:48  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
Okay, finally have to ask - and I think Ed might know - about this, since it pertains to early DND Realms.

What happened with Pool of Radiance/Ruins of Adventure? I feel like there has to be a story here.

-Phlan naming structure is bad spanish with a little german thrown in. The Realms details seem to have been sprinkled on after the fact.

-The book is very inconsistent with the adventure (and I know the adventure was from a PC game). The adventure has someone looking for their wizard master ... Ren, while the book has Ren (Ranger/Rogue) teamed up with the apprentice looking for Ranthor.

So, I was just curious - since this is a VERY early Realms adventure, if Ed could talk about it a little.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  21:49:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hmmm. Well, I can tell you this much: POOLS OF RADIANCE, complete with the river and the town/city, was inserted into the Realms by TSR (I strongly suspect that some or all of it was "done" before they bought the Realms), in place of what Ed had there.
So I doubt Ed's going to be able to say much.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  02:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi. Nightseer, Crimmor was the only Ed city article ever published in the Paizo era of DRAGON. He finished Teziir and handed it in, but it never saw print before the license was ended, and Paizo handed it to Wizards. As the Realms then got "jumped" into the future, it probably never will get published, now.
This information comes from two GenCons ago (the last sentence from someone senior at WotC I got referred to at last year's GenCon). Ed or THO, please correct me if I'm wrong. So, Nightseer, you've got the only issue you need for cities.
I took notes at some WotC seminars, and from them I can tell you this: Ed had worked out a list of a dozen cities that Paizo got approval to do from Wizards (meaning: it wouldn't interfere with WotC game or novel publishing plans, but they could then use Ed's work for later novels, the way they used Oeble from his POLYHEDRON column, and Selgaunt for the Sembian novels from FR ADVENTURES plus a later lore writeup Ed did for the Sembian series - - and the recent lore writeup Ed did for Waterdeep for the current Waterdeep series). A WotC staffer mentioned we might soon see the capital of Aglarond, so I'd guess that was one of the later cities on the list.
BB
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  03:07:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I seem to recall someone (Rich Baker? Bruce Cordell? The new lore stuff, explicitly, somewhere?) explicitly saying the Dawn Titans (a WotC invention, not Ed's) ARE Primordials.

Dark Wizards, years ago at the GenCon "Ed Roast," Julia Martin brought in the Realms map she'd inherited from Jeff Grubb or Steven Schend: Ed's turnover "master map" photocopies taped together and magic-marker-colored. I distinctly remember she said it was "55 or 59, depending on whether or not you count the sheets that are empty sea except for a few tiny islands" sheets of 8.5" x 11" paper, all oriented horizontally (east to west, to someone looking at a map with north at the top). Ed also drew less-detailed "player's maps" (what you can buy as a PC in the Realms, or assemble out of your own head from your own traveler's knowledge) and lots and lots of city, town, village, and Dale maps, plus fortresses and dungeons, and turned most of them in to TSR. I've seen photocopies of some of the originals, and except for being hand-lettered, they're of professional quality. Dead Orc Pass is even a professional-level topographical map.
And then, of course, there's the HUGE original map of the city of Waterdeep, that covers the floor of a large room . . .
Cartographers and map-lovers of the Realms, let us collectively swoon together.
BB

Whilst I don't have a copy of the big Waterdeep map, Ed had prezzies for the first time we met face to face at GEN-CON 2007. My FR party pack included various maps of the North and the Heartlands as well as some original art of various Knights of Myth Drannor and p/copies of Ed's original hand-drawn graph pad maps of the Haunted Halls including the heretofore never seen (by me) lower level.

The man's attention to detail is faultless and has always been my personal FR standard to aspire to when writing or thinking Realms. To do otherwise would fail to do justice to Ed's amazing work over the last 40+ years.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  12:34:32  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:

Hmmm. Well, I can tell you this much: POOLS OF RADIANCE, complete with the river and the town/city, was inserted into the Realms by TSR (I strongly suspect that some or all of it was "done" before they bought the Realms), in place of what Ed had there.
love,
THO

Interesting, Lady Hood I have two questions for you and/or Ed. The first question, you wrote ‘Pools’ in your reply. Is this a typo or do you follow along the path that there are multiple Pools? And now for the really obvious question which may not be answered do to NDA’s: What did Ed have there originally?

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  14:56:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
George, your words of praise for Ed warm me, and I'm sure will make Ed smile happily.

Bakra, I got to see some of the TSR design drafts at a GenCon seminar well after the printed TSR product came out, and the concept there ("borrowed," I suspect from Zelazny's Pattern in Amber and other teleport "gates"/portals from fantasy) was that there were multiple Pools, scattered in remote sites all over the campaign world and even a few other planes, and that those who knew how could "pass" (teleport) from one Pool to another.
So that, of course, coloured my answer.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  17:34:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The man's attention to detail is faultless and has always been my personal FR standard to aspire to when writing or thinking Realms. To do otherwise would fail to do justice to Ed's amazing work over the last 40+ years.
Bravo. <we need a clapping smiley>

I'll find juicy tidbits about something (like the Shadowsil) spread through a half-dozen books, and all of it is consistent to itself, and makes the world seem that much more real to us. Its not the 'heavy-hitters' that make the realms seem so real... quite the contrary. Its all those people, places, and things that you "catch out of the corner of your eye" that makes the Realms so different from any other setting I've ever encountered.

quote:

love,
THO

I believe you may be right, THO, and it may go back much further then anyone realizes. A friend of mine who was a DM used the city of Phlan, and that game was run in the early 80's. I think he got the name/idea from a Dragon article, but it may have been some older module (or novel) produced by TSR.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jun 2009 17:35:55
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  03:24:52  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
I believe I recall hearing Ed once at a con answer a question very similar to Bakra's - - and his reply was something like:

Two small ruined, monster-haunted human cities that had been wealthy mining ports, but got overrun by orcs and ogres so often that eventually the humans stopped coming back to refortify and reoccupy them. They faced each other on opposite sides of a rivermouth, right where the river emptied into the Moonsea.

. . . and he later described one of these ruins as having lots of roosting wyverns, whose presence makes any shipcaptains entertaining thoughts of tying up at the crumbling wharves to rearrange or exchange cargoes have second thoughts.

THO? Ed? Am I remembering rightly?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  03:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ed, I'm looking at the notes I took when I played in one of your old convention adventures ("The Unseen King"), because I want to try to run it - - the feast with all the outrageous old drunken nobles spilling out into the Royal Gardens, anyway, making it up as I go along as I know you did [[yes, I saw when we were finished four fun-filled hours, and you were folding up your DM's screen, that your entire scenario is only TWO PAGES LONG, you rogue you!]].
Remember the guy with the green-and-black cheese? That tastes nutty and smoky, and loosens tongues like nothing else?
Okay, what is that cheese called, where is it made, about how much does it cost (rare/expensive, or fairly common/moderate, or - -?), and how is it made (what provides the milk, what other ingredients, anything special about the process?)?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  03:52:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Rhewtani, Bakra, and Baleful Avatar: Baleful is remembering rightly. Ed will check to see what his notes have about those two ruins (he thinks he never wrote more than a couple of paragraphs).
Blueblade, I've sent your query off to Ed, too - - but I can tell you, because my character once landed on a wheel of said cheese (after unintentionally "dropping in" to a Cormyrean noble's kitchen), that the cheese you speak of is known as Roaroke (or "Rokeheart" in the Border Kingdoms, where it's popular but hard to obtain, so many inferior versions of it are locally made).
We will, of course, hear much more in the fullness of time from Ed.
And Rhewtani, Ed wasn't jerking your shackles; he WILL give you a proper reply, as soon as he can (right now, he's attending family funerals - - yes, again! - - and finishing up the judging for the Sunbursts; it's crunch time, where the judges battle it ouXXX ahem, debate their picks in order to come up with just one winner for the adult and the YA categories (for most scribes: the Sunbursts, which have gone by other names in the past, are Canada's annual best sf/fantasy awards, for adult book and YA book).
Oh, and Ed will have family visiting this weekend, so I suppose he'll be busy cooking, too.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  05:19:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, I've another question coming from my re-reading of the "Knights of Myth Drannor" trilogy. This time, I'm focusing on the last few pages of Chapter 8 from The Sword Never Sleeps.

Thus, I'm curious about this snippet:- '"Den of traitors, den of thieves," she muttered, remembering the old Suzailan song deriding the Court.'

What more can you tell me about this "old Suzailan song?"

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  07:32:21  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

The map Blueblade's referring to DWARFS the City System map. We're talking over 20 17" x 35" inch white pieces of paper, with buildings drawn on them as black outlines ("empty boxes" not "filled in boxes"). A typical rectangular two-to-three or three-to-four storey Waterdhavian building, with street-level shop and two or three floors of living quarters above, is a rectangle of about 3/4" wide by around 1" long (in other words, the base of an old Airfix model soldier figure will JUST fit inside one, which is how Ed denoted where "the PC party" was, where Watch patrols were, where "bad guys we were following" were, and so on. Trees, ponds, public pumps, fountains, and statues were all included, too.
In other words, HUGE. Two lucky gamers, out there in the world, have copies of this (aside from whoever kept it at TSR, if it didn't just go into the dumpster): it was a "door prize" at a long-ago PHANTASM convention in Peterborough, Ontario (the Guests of Honor that year were Richard and Lilly Garfield, and Ed), and it was a charity auction item at a Milwaukee-era GenCon.
When CITY SYSTEM came out, all of us original players were greatly disappointed, not just at the small size of the maps, but at the "districts get strong color hues" rather than having cobbles, dirt, and building roofs. I'm a big girl; I can tell boundaries by myself by reading street names and referring to a 1-page district boundaries guide.
Ah, well . . .
love to all,
THO

I'm one of the lucky few with a copy of a copy of Ed's original Waterdeep map(s) PLUS the close-ups he'd done for the Volo's Waterdeep materials. It was all part of his turnover for the 1993 CITY OF SPLENDORS box and I've sneakily kept my 1.3 inch-think pile of 11x17" sheets of that map in a safe place. It was vastly helpful when I worked on Blackstaff Tower to check against some of the lesser known neighborhoods up in Sea Ward (as the foundations aren't apt to change, no matter how many times the buildings fall over). :)

Steven
who isn't gloating but noting that Ed (and Professor Tolkien) set the bar on how to detail a world for stories and hopes to put it to use sooner than later....

Dude, Jealousy is an ugly thing... so I'm gonna hide mine just now. I don't even know you, but I hate you a little for this.

Edit: I couldn't agree more with your last statement, Steven. In all of fantasy, the only creator I can compare to He of the Green Wood is Prof. Tolkien. I came to DnD looking for LotR-type immersion as a teenager and was mostly disappointed- till I found the Realms. It's all about Depth and Detail, and both of these masters of the genre give it to us.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 12 Jun 2009 07:40:15
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  14:43:05  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Ed, this may seem like a personal question, and if so, I apologize, and don't answer, but I've got to ask:
Why is it that there are barely any details on your life on the web? Many other authors have information in many sites, detailing their parents, where they live, their spouses, etc. So why not you? Is it just the fact that nobody ever did it for you, and you don't have the time? Or is it that you don't want people to know?
Again, if this is offensive, please don't answer, and I apologize.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  15:35:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Edit: I couldn't agree more with your last statement, Steven. In all of fantasy, the only creator I can compare to He of the Green Wood is Prof. Tolkien. I came to DnD looking for LotR-type immersion as a teenager and was mostly disappointed- till I found the Realms. It's all about Depth and Detail, and both of these masters of the genre give it to us.

There are other 'truly amazing' world-builders out there, but unfortunately, the majority of them write SciFi.

Two that spring to mind that are SciFi authors but read like Fantasy are Jack Vance (naturally) and Robert Silverberg (His Majipoor series could easilly be a fantasy world, and an incredible one at that).

For some reason, many modern fantasy authors think all you need to do is toss in a few Dwarves and Elves and send a group on some sort of quest, and then ignore the backdrop (which appears to be nothing more then a cheap medieval Europe knock-off in most cases). True world-builders are hard to come by these days <sigh>.

Edit: I feel the need to also mention the late James Oliver Rigney (Robert Jordan) - although I grew exasperated at the 'never-ending' aspect of his story(ies), I have to say that a lot of thought and amazing world-building went into his Wheel of Time series. Like the Realms, it seems that every little corner of the world had something interesting going on (which was part of it's charm, but also made it a nightmare to keep track of with all those sub-plots).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jun 2009 16:16:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  16:01:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Ed, this may seem like a personal question, and if so, I apologize, and don't answer, but I've got to ask:
Why is it that there are barely any details on your life on the web? Many other authors have information in many sites, detailing their parents, where they live, their spouses, etc. So why not you? Is it just the fact that nobody ever did it for you, and you don't have the time? Or is it that you don't want people to know?
Again, if this is offensive, please don't answer, and I apologize.

I think he's too busy sharing what's going on in his head to share what's going on in his life.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  16:21:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I've another question Ed. Perhaps I should just start a new backlog for this year, eh?

Anyways, this comes from my re-reading of The Temptation of Elminster from The Annotated Elminster compilation.

Specifically, I'm curious about the kingdom of Galadorna. We learn a little in the novel itself, and from your "Realmslore" notes in the aforementioned The Annotated Elminster. And given that the 4e shift now makes it highly unlikely that Galadorna will ever be featured in any future published Realmslore, I'm just wondering what more you could tell me about this kingdom?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  16:22:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Because when it comes right down to it, Ed is a very private person. He greatly enjoys the time he spends with fans... but then likes to have time to do the things he enjoys (which may include the Realms, but go far beyond just them... Ed Greenwood as a person is much more then the 'Forgotten Realms' he is so famous for).

I find it so very distasteful that many of today's 'celebrities' (and I use that term loosely) like to 'Twitter' <vomit> about every little thing happening in their lives, as it happens.

Do we really care that Paris Hilton broke her heal this morning, or that Justin Timerlake just enjoyed a realy good BM?

Seriously... there are some things people should keep to themselves, and I applaud Ed for not flaunting his private life... thats why it is called PRIVATE.

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jun 2009 16:24:58
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2009 :  16:35:49  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message
I know I will get some heat for this but this is something I've always wanted to know since I read both Drizzt and El's novels and I was wondering what El's view is on Drizzt and have they ever met? I know Drizzt met Khelben very briefly. Thanks and I'll prepare myself now for the ribbing I'm about to get
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000