Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Second Playthrough of Icewind Dale II
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2024 :  21:57:16  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After finishing the Enhanced Edition of the first game, I decided to pick up where I left off in my current playthrough of this game. Here's the short and sweet on my team for such. Currently in Chapter 2, at the crash site prior to the Ice Temple.

Altredus (pronounced "Al-tray-duhs")
Male Aasimar Paladin of Ilmater 1/Painbearer of Ilmater 6
Plan for this guy is to make him my primary healer as well as a secondary melee damage dealer (especially if I use spells like Divine Power). I'll eventually give him a second level of Paladin for fear immunity; when, I'm not sure. Obviously, he'll be wielding the Holy Avenger once I get it. He's the face of the party except where doing such may prevent rewards or taking advantage of various quests or dialogue. I'll also eventually buy him both of those manuals from the Black Raven Monastery so he'll be up to snuff with the rest of the party.

Galuf ("Ga-luhf")
Male Shield Dwarf Barbarian 7
Primary melee damage dealer plus the use of the Intimidate skill. Will eventually give him 4 to 10 levels of Fighter (depending on experience levels) after he gets 20 levels of Barbarian so he can have Weapon Specialization (either in Axe, Greatswords or another weapon).

Lumia ("Loo-mee-ah")
Female Human Druid 7
Trades off with Altredus as far as healing and buffing, but also contributes crowd control spells from her class (Entangle, Spike Stones, etc.). Feats center around spellcasting, namely (Greater) Spell Penetration plus Spell Focus (Evocation) and/or SF (Transmutation).

Amy
Female Human Bard 7
Primarily used for her Bardic Music. Tertiary healing (at least for regular difficulty) as well as any other spells that can be useful. Otherwise utilizes Pick Pockets where useful as well as Bluff and Diplomacy. She has Lingering Song, Dodge and Expertise feats, for one, namely the last one because she virtually never fights with weapons. What other feats I'll take, who knows?

Adolphus
Male Human Sorcerer 7
Primary arcane artillery expert. A few personal buff spells in his repertoire but otherwise damage-dealing spells (Magic Missile, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc). Going to eventually give him feats like Spirit of Flame, Scion of Storms and (if it would help) Aqua Mortis. Also giving him Greater Spell Focus feats for Evocation and (if possible) Necromancy. Already has Greater Spell Penetration.

Asterus ("A-stair-uhs")
Male Human Wizard 7
Toolbox spellcaster who casts what Amy or Adolphus can't cover, namely buffing or summoning spells, but can tailor his spellbook to whatever's needed. Tempted to give him similar feats as Adolphus, but he also has Dodge and Expertise (because he's primarily not going to be contributing to combat with weapons save for possible ranged support with his crossbow).

The Ice Temple itself is one of my favorite parts of the game, because there are so many cool items to get in both regular mode and Heart of Fury mode, mainly thanks to the Battle Squares. I also love Chapters 4, 5 and 6 for similar reasons. Hopefully, this party will breeze through HoF mode no problem when the time comes. We will see.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31729 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2024 :  01:34:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How does the Painbearer class handle in-game?

I’ve never used it but always been intrigued by its potential.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2024 :  03:07:12  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

How does the Painbearer class handle in-game?

I’ve never used it but always been intrigued by its potential.

Not too bad. Lots of focus on healing and relief of debuffs on your party as well as a bit of inflicting pain debuffs on enemies.

I previously had a Morninglord of Lathander in my first playthrough and LOVED that for its use of the Heal and Mass Heal spells as two of its domain spells as well as Sunbeam (which is ESPECIALLY useful against undead).

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000