Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New FR Campaign Setting Coming in 2025
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
187 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2024 :  19:15:36  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Forgotten Realms is to get a brand new pair of campaign setting books in 2025.

The Forgotten Realms Player's Guide and the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide will both launch in late 2025.

Apparently there will be several "focus areas" for the new edition and these will be, surprising nobody, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. However, there will be a renewed emphasis on Calimshan, the Dalelands and the Moonshae Isles as well. There will also be a "giant elvish dungeon" but it's unclear what canon location (or new location) that will be. The setting will use these focus areas as examples of different types of campaign: Baldur's Gate for urban fantasy, Icewind Dale for survival horror, the Moonshae Isles for fey/fairy-based stories and stories that can be solved more through RP rather than violence, and the land of Calimshan for a darker type of campaign.

Emphasising the new idea that the entire D&D Multiverse is the new default setting, the new D&D Starter Set due in 2025 will be set in Greyhawk, and will riff on the Keep on the Borderlands adventure from 1E.

I eagerly look forwards to how they're going to mess up the maps this time around :)

Edited by - Werthead on 27 Aug 2024 19:16:32

Scots Dragon
Seeker

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2024 :  19:54:34  Show Profile Send Scots Dragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the usual suspects are already bitching and moaning about it on Twitter because apparently 'the last full campaign setting was released sixteen years ago, and the last good one twenty-three years ago' is too frequent
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Learned Scribe

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2024 :  02:11:06  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am fairly certain the "elvish dungeon" was related to the dalelands, so I am assuming it is Myth Drannor.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11800 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2024 :  14:15:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't necessarily say that the default campaign with be Greyhawk. I am assuming you think it based on this statement, but it may be that they announced something more in depth that I don't see yet.

There will also be a new Starter Set releasing as a new way for groups who haven't played before to get into the game with the new ruleset. Set in the Borderlands players will go to the Keep, the Wilderness, and the Caves of Chaos.

But the "Keep on the Borderlands" could literally be cast in any realm with so little modification ..... and in fact it HAS been cast in Mystara in the past in the Grand Duchy of Karameikos (its original location). It has also been cast more recently in Nentir Vale in 4th edition in the Chaos Scar. So, that's at least 3 different worlds that

Wonder if Venger will come to the realms to challenge Szass Tam......

I also wonder if "Keep on the Borderlands" will be in Nentir Vale, and Venger/Warduke etc... from the old D&D cartoon will be in Nentir Vale. I was surprised to see in Amazon Prime a "Freevee" channel called Dungeons & Dragons in the last couple month that's live streaming the old D&D cartoon. Given that I see the new 2024 DMG covers show Venger, Warduke, and some person I don't recognize but somewhat reminds me of an Orcus priestess, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to flesh out exactly where the old D&D cartoon was actually located... and it may be an addition to Nentir Vale or somesuch.. or even the realms (though that's a harder fit unless they go to some other continent).

BTW: just realized they were releasing a new PH, DMG, and MM combo for "5e" over the next few months and went ahead and put them on order. Interested to see what they do, but cringing given many factors that I've seen over the last few years that are pushed over social factors versus mechanics/balance.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 28 Aug 2024 15:36:26
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11800 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2024 :  14:46:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, thank you for the link. I've not actually done a game yet using a virtual tabletop, but I definitely understand the draw now that I'm older and a lot of my players have moved elsewhere. The project sigil section made me wonder... putting on my apprentice level 3d modeling hat and having played with basic toy tools like microsoft Paint3d... I wonder if there's any option to take homemade 3d objects (like a figure you may find on thingiverse) and paint it and import the output as a new "figure" so that people could have their own minis of their characters. Betting that's a pipe dream, but....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2419 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2024 :  16:24:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scots Dragon

And the usual suspects are already bitching and moaning about it on Twitter because apparently 'the last full campaign setting was released sixteen years ago, and the last good one twenty-three years ago' is too frequent

So that's what the 4e complaints were. By now. Nice to know. Indeed, are the bears Catholic? Does the Pope... ahem.
But surely it can be both a solid success and the lowest grossing, in terms of actual books sold and inflation-adjusted earnings, campaign setting release ever?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2024 :  16:41:27  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll wait and see for myself about the quality of this product. Per TBeholder's link, Hopefully Disney will never buy the IP rights to the Forgotten Realms.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2419 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2024 :  18:17:15  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

I'll wait and see for myself about the quality of this product.
Well, yes, but... it relies on Dithering Edition core.
quote:
Hopefully Disney will never buy the IP rights to the Forgotten Realms.

Alas, in this particular case weird hit pieces would not be a reliable early warning indicator. I mean, considering odd flash-mobs of unsavoury substances being flung in the general direction of FR in general and a recurring obsession of the infamous roach motel princess with many pseudonyms in particular.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1622 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2024 :  21:48:54  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werthead

Forgotten Realms is to get a brand new pair of campaign setting books in 2025.

The Forgotten Realms Player's Guide and the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide will both launch in late 2025.

Apparently there will be several "focus areas" for the new edition and these will be, surprising nobody, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. However, there will be a renewed emphasis on Calimshan, the Dalelands and the Moonshae Isles as well. There will also be a "giant elvish dungeon" but it's unclear what canon location (or new location) that will be. The setting will use these focus areas as examples of different types of campaign: Baldur's Gate for urban fantasy, Icewind Dale for survival horror, the Moonshae Isles for fey/fairy-based stories and stories that can be solved more through RP rather than violence, and the land of Calimshan for a darker type of campaign.

Emphasising the new idea that the entire D&D Multiverse is the new default setting, the new D&D Starter Set due in 2025 will be set in Greyhawk, and will riff on the Keep on the Borderlands adventure from 1E.

I eagerly look forwards to how they're going to mess up the maps this time around :)

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1807-d-d-direct-recap-a-look-at-two-forgotten-realms

"When we revisited the core rules for fifth edition D&D, we were spurred to also revisit the game’s most popular setting: the Forgotten Realms. The setting will be featured in two full-sized sourcebooks—The Forgotten Realms Player Guide (working title) and The Forgotten Realms Adventure Guide (working title).

The Forgotten Realms Player Guide contains everything players and Dungeon Masters need to play in this beloved D&D setting. It contains a setting overview for new and returning players, as well as the following player options:

Subclasses
Feats
Backgrounds
Spells and a new type of spell
Key information on factions such as the Harpers and Zhentarim and how to join them
The Forgotten Realms Adventure Guide will be a trove of information and resources for Dungeon Masters to create their own epic fantasy adventures. It will also contain five in-depth setting guides for iconic locations in the Forgotten Realms that support a variety of adventure genres:

Baldur’s Gate
Calimshan
The Dalelands
Moonshae Isles
Icewind Dale"
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2024 :  15:09:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there an audience for this?

Old timers have the old stuff (and WotC will most likely just rehash it), plus Ed's constant updates. Ten years ago, with the hype of the reboot, a lot of people wanted these books, but now?

Newer players who came in due to BG3 (likely the audience WotC is targeting) don't seem to really care about the setting itself, as much as the companions and their interactions. IME, I've never heard any BG3 enthusiast say "damn, I really want to know more about the FR|" only stuff like "give me more of X companion".

The wiki is also fairly well curated and referenced, and is probably more in-depth than anything they will put out. And it's available as a digital option, while WotC still refuses to sell pdfs of their new products, and instead wants to force people into their subscription stuff for digital access. Older books are also super easy to access as pdfs, and readily available for purchase.

So, I dunno, it doesn't seem like there are many reasons that could lead people to buy these books. Maybe they would be better off just making another videogame, I know I'd personally prefer that (because WotC's storytelling is abysmal, so the less they directly make, the more chances the product might actually pique my interest).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 31 Aug 2024 15:23:24
Go to Top of Page

Scots Dragon
Seeker

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2024 :  01:03:45  Show Profile Send Scots Dragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Old timers have the old stuff (and WotC will most likely just rehash it), plus Ed's constant updates. Ten years ago, with the hype of the reboot, a lot of people wanted these books, but now?

Newer players who came in due to BG3 (likely the audience WotC is targeting) don't seem to really care about the setting itself, as much as the companions and their interactions. IME, I've never heard any BG3 enthusiast say "damn, I really want to know more about the FR|" only stuff like "give me more of X companion".

The wiki is also fairly well curated and referenced, and is probably more in-depth than anything they will put out. And it's available as a digital option, while WotC still refuses to sell pdfs of their new products, and instead wants to force people into their subscription stuff for digital access. Older books are also super easy to access as pdfs, and readily available for purchase.

So, I dunno, it doesn't seem like there are many reasons that could lead people to buy these books. Maybe they would be better off just making another videogame, I know I'd personally prefer that (because WotC's storytelling is abysmal, so the less they directly make, the more chances the product might actually pique my interest).

I've seen some interest in the Forgotten Realms and its lore from modern players, many of whom are surprised to learn that it actually has that much lore. It might get some onboarding done, and I can't exactly view that as a negative.
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2024 :  02:22:26  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen a lot of interest by tabletop RPG players...that play BG3..and want to know more about the Realms. Of course, most answers are something like "Well you'd have to read an out-of-print book from 20+ years ago"......

But, the book is likely to be like 75% crunch with all the 'new' backgrounds, spells and such.

I'd guess most of the lore will just be cut and pasted from the old books...with bits to make it 'cooler'. Like Calimshan sunk into the Underdark and is now Upside-down!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2024 :  11:37:48  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scots Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I've seen some interest in the Forgotten Realms and its lore from modern players, many of whom are surprised to learn that it actually has that much lore. It might get some onboarding done, and I can't exactly view that as a negative.

I see that as a positve too. Granted, the writing has to be decent at least, so my expectations aren't high, but fingers crossed nonetheless.

Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
238 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2024 :  16:27:27  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the old guard will have much enthusiasm for this unless Ed has some direct involvement in the shaping of this book. Otherwise to me, it's just bad fan fiction made by corporate hacks.

It's also interesting that they call it a Campaign Setting book when it seems like they are only going to cover a select few places of Faerun? And barely more than what Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide covered.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2024 :  17:48:56  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just don't have the time, finances or - above all else - shelf space to really keep adding new books to my collection. I'm plenty fine with my 3rd and 3.5 Edition material I've got, as many of you know me.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2024 :  23:14:08  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

I don't think the old guard will have much enthusiasm for this unless Ed has some direct involvement in the shaping of this book. Otherwise to me, it's just bad fan fiction made by corporate hacks.

It's also interesting that they call it a Campaign Setting book when it seems like they are only going to cover a select few places of Faerun? And barely more than what Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide covered.

Nah, considering that their "50 years of history of D&D" was basically a book written to slander the creators, I really doubt they'll get Ed involved. The current guys absolutely love to discredit those who came before them, while taking credit for their work.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000