Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood from Greenwood's Grotto
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1308 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2024 :  01:26:14  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Tanalasta Obarskyr's favorite drink

Melody — 06/07/2024 10:53 PM

@Ed Greenwood I have a silly (but still quite serious!) question one of my players wanted to ask you, if you'd indulge them.

Etanu wants to know if Tanalasta Obarskyr had a favorite coffee flavor, if she had ever tried it. And if not, what was her favorite drink? :MelodySip:

Juniper Churlgo — 06/07/2024 10:55 PM

Pumpkin spice latte?

Steven E Schend — 06/08/2024 1:56 AM

Given how much Tanalasta was like her dad, I figured her favorite flavor to add to coffee would be zzar or some other alcoholic additive.

Ed Greenwood — 06/08/2024 10:00 AM

Steven hath the right of it: zzar (almond liqueur), with a pinch of shaved vanilla bean, and of course heavy cream, to her kaeth. So, "boozy French vanilla," ;}
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1308 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2024 :  07:08:01  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On notable merchants and caravans traveling around the Savage Frontier in 1497

The Donut Wizard of Shadowdale — 06/15/2024 10:48 PM

@Ed Greenwood I was wondering, are there any notable merchants and caravans traveling around the Savage Frontier in 1497? What might they sell, and do any of them have any notable ambitions?

Ed Greenwood — 06/18/2024 2:08 AM

Yes. You may have to wait a few months for the relevant Realms video. I'll post a partial reply here after I get back from Origins (I'll be offline while there).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1308 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2024 :  07:11:29  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On names of openings in the Sea walls of Waterdeep harbor

Reedhalloran Duskfellow — 06/15/2024 9:34 AM

@Ed Greenwood, good Saer and lore master, perhaps you or @Eric L. Boyd could tell me: do the openings in the Sea walls of Waterdeep harbor have names? I'm thinking of the ones by inner fort, outer fort, the naval harbor to sea and naval harbor to deep water harbor. If they don't have formal names, how do local sailors refer to them when navigating the harbors?

Ed Greenwood — 06/18/2024 2:13 AM

They all have names, and I thought those had all been published. I'll check and get back to you (I have to check because I theeeenk TSR changed the name of one of the Cuts).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1308 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2024 :  07:15:17  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On connection between Ravengards of Baldur's Gate and the Ravengard House of Ravens Bluff

Juniper Churlgo — 06/12/2024 10:56 AM

is there any connection between Ravengards of Baldur's Gate and the Ravengard House of Ravens Bluff?

Ed Greenwood — 06/18/2024 2:14 AM

Yes. Details to come in a future video.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1308 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2024 :  07:17:50  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the life of Lady Saharel

Zonesylvania — 06/14/2024 9:41 AM

Dear Saer @Ed Greenwood! Would it be possible to spin us a tale of the life of Lady Saharel and how she came to meet Elminster?

Ed Greenwood — 06/18/2024 2:15 AM

Of course. It may be near the end of this year before that video rolls around, though. Plenty in the queue.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1308 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2024 :  02:48:44  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On when elves mentally mature equal to that of a human adult

Ninjanurse29 — 06/28/2024 7:44 AM

@Ed Greenwood at what age are elves considered mentally equal to that of a 21 year old human adult?

Ed Greenwood — 06/28/2024 10:34 AM

That depends on who’s doing the considering.

Haughty gold elves will tell you their children are the mental superiors of humans while still in the womb, and the social superiors of humans at about age six.

Conversely, some humans believe elves never “grow up,” and so are never mentally equal to any human.

MOST elves and most human sages, if they’re being calmly honest, will say that for the first two decades of life, elves and humans develop at almost the same rate if untutored or “learning via life experiences while helping stay-at-home labouring parents, so a 17-year-old elf will be about the same mentally as a 21-year-old human. Thereafter, speed of development depends on experiences; the more of the world an individual sees, and the more different mental experiences (maths, crafting, instruction, experimentation, practise with their Gift, etc.), the faster they develop. MOST elves tend to develop at about double the mental capacity and reach, but not necessarily “maturity” if that’s measured by abandoning public play and frivolity in terms of shouldering responsibility, of humans during their third and fourth decades of life.

Wartime and lots of travel and intense specialized tutoring (e.g. from sages, clergy, or mages training apprentices) will speed up the mental development of most humans or elves.

The average elf will have no precise opinion regarding the age at which elves are equal to 21-year-old humans, but a general belief that humans are mentally lesser than elves at any age, particularly in understanding of the world (as opposed to creativity/“cleverness”).

The average human will think that elves and humans are equal in mental abilities until elves are old; that elves are smarter because they live for centuries and so get taught more.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1308 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2024 :  03:26:56  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Ed's favorite outside sources

The Donut Wizard of Shadowdale — 06/26/2024 5:41 AM

@Ed Greenwood Hello! I know you created the setting, but I was thinking, it's a lot for one person to keep track of, so I was wondering how often you look at sources outside of your memory, for example Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast or the Forgotten Realms wiki, and I'm curious which source you use most and if you have a favorite one

Ed Greenwood — 06/28/2024 10:43 AM

I consult the FR Wiki whenever I’m asked about something and draw a blank re. the name(s) I’m being asked about. Usually that’s because the questioner is misspelling the name, but sometimes it’s a detail from a computer game I’ve never played or a novel or short story by someone other than me that I’ve forgotten the details of, or the questioner has misinterpreted what’s written there and so puzzling me with their question (like the question that began: “So, in Novel X when all the phaerimm get destroyed…” which baffled me, as all the phaerimm have never been destroyed).

When expanding on Realmslore, I always try to re-read the published sources, even if (like Volo’s Guide to the Sword Coast) I wrote it, because I need to refresh myself on the precise wording an editor may have ended up with—again because phrasing can hint or leave impressions as opposed to spelling out something precisely and clearly.

My favourite sources are the ones I need right now. My second favourites are the ones that are well indexed.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1308 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2024 :  03:29:33  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Annulus existing in Abeir-Toril

Gahbreeil — 06/26/2024 3:23 AM

@Ed Greenwood Does the Annulus exist within Abeir-Toril or did it? For your convenience - https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Annulus

Ed Greenwood — 06/28/2024 10:44 AM

No, that’s homebrew.

Gahbreeil — 06/28/2024 11:41 AM

Interesting, I have the very same artefact written down in the Psionics Handbook 3e! Does that mean it is not Greyhawk canon either?

Ed Greenwood — 06/28/2024 11:47 AM

It's Greyhawk canon, but the properties are different and more extensive (tied to Oerth lore). (The one at the link you cited is a homebrew version.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000