Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What do we know about Alias' other sisters/clones?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

varyar
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2024 :  21:05:09  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all,

I'm curious what we know about the clone sisters of Alias from Azure Bonds. Three of them, Jade, Cat and Zhara, appear in various novels, but there were twelve originally.

"The tables and banners were gone, replaced by twelve biers. Each funeral stand was occupied by a body." (Azure Bonds, pg 435 - Kindle version)

So what about the other nine? Is there any information about them beyond the brief descriptions in Azure Bonds?

One dressed in Mulhorandi armor
One dressed in wolfhide robes and a headpiece of the north
One dressed like a Waterdeep courtesan
One dressed like a Moonshae druid
One "wrapped in black" armed with "eastern weapons" (Kara Tur, presumably)

Did any of them ever appear in books, stories, or articles?

Edited by - varyar on 23 Jun 2024 21:06:26

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2024 :  22:38:23  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, you got it all right there. Obviously Alias and Cat got the most play in novels followed by Jade and Zhara with small appearances. The others remain unknown.
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2024 :  22:53:20  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool - thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

136 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2024 :  08:17:52  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a little more actually. The Bestiary of the Realms has an Alias vessel template that tells a bit more about what the clones have in common. And although Alias, Jade, Cat and Zhara are the only ones who have speaking roles in the Finder's Stone trilogy, they discuss the fate of a few others. Zhara says she has "met three others. One is a sage in Candlekeep, one a mage in Immersea, one a warrior like yourself from the eastern lands. I know of two others. One was a thief who was murdered this past spring [Jade]. The other is a lady of some power in Waterdeep."
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6358 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2024 :  12:21:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a female ninja with some exceptional statistics in the first act of Ochimo the Spirit Warrior.

She is otherwise completely unknown, but i would put her there if i had to.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2024 :  14:27:53  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Athreeren

There was a little more actually. The Bestiary of the Realms has an Alias vessel template that tells a bit more about what the clones have in common. And although Alias, Jade, Cat and Zhara are the only ones who have speaking roles in the Finder's Stone trilogy, they discuss the fate of a few others. Zhara says she has "met three others. One is a sage in Candlekeep, one a mage in Immersea, one a warrior like yourself from the eastern lands. I know of two others. One was a thief who was murdered this past spring [Jade]. The other is a lady of some power in Waterdeep."

Yep. The information on the other Alias vessels is taken from one passage in Azure Bonds and another in Song of the Saurials. FWIW, I wrote that entry in Bestiary of the Realms. :-)

Edited by - TomCosta on 24 Jun 2024 14:48:54
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2024 :  14:52:47  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

There is a female ninja with some exceptional statistics in the first act of Ochimo the Spirit Warrior.

The picture of the woman ninja shows her to be Asian, but I suppose she could be reinterpreted as an Alias clone. Was there something that connected that ninja to Alias or are you just thinking it would be neat?

Edited by - TomCosta on 24 Jun 2024 14:54:00
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2024 :  23:04:20  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish we got to know more about all of them. Cat appears in a few other novels with Giogi, like Cormyr (the novel).

Even though Jade didn't get much screen time, it is pretty touching the way Olive remembers her throughout the Wyvern's Spur. Jade did more to develop Olive's character than anything else; and in a way Olive is the real hero of the Finder's Stone trilogy (since Alias isn't in the 2nd novel).
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6358 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2024 :  07:37:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

The picture of the woman ninja shows her to be Asian, but I suppose she could be reinterpreted as an Alias clone. Was there something that connected that ninja to Alias or are you just thinking it would be neat?

There was nothing else to the choice other than she was a warrior of sorts and had unusually exceptional stats (the lowest being 12 i believe).

She is also a newbie which we would expect from a newly hatched alias clone.

And she has absolutely no backstory given, so nothing to contradict.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2024 :  12:39:19  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something I noticed while digging through Azure Bonds is a reference to one of her creators imbuing her with "the power to keep death from her" (Kindle version pg. 408). We know Alias (or at least her sisters) can be killed, so does that mean they don't age?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11745 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2024 :  14:39:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by varyar

Something I noticed while digging through Azure Bonds is a reference to one of her creators imbuing her with "the power to keep death from her" (Kindle version pg. 408). We know Alias (or at least her sisters) can be killed, so does that mean they don't age?

Considering they're essentially constructs (i.e. they aren't clones necessarily and had no youth), I would not be surprised by the idea that they are effectively immortal OR will just suddenly "stop" rather than traditional aging. They might be construed as advanced simulacrums or magen, and a major question that I don't know if it was ever answered.... can they reproduce?

My favorite theory in regards these is that one of the Alias clones was Midnight (aka future Mystra... with truename Ariel <=> leirA), and that it was through the aid of Phalse (an avatar of Leira in the form of a "beholder" with mouth stalks instead of eye stalks... somewhat resembling a deepspawn as well). We know that "Phalse" created at least 12 of these alias clones.... but do we truly know if that was the extent... or was that what we were led to believe to prevent further snooping?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2024 :  23:02:31  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grubb confirmed not too long ago that Alias won't die of old age, I think if you search this forum you can find the reference. It makes sense that the clones who were born as adults would be ageless. But yeah, she can be killed as Jade Moore was disintegrated.

I think even though they all look like Cassandra, they can be of different races?

Also they can reproduce as Giogi and Cat had a baby.
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2024 :  00:34:24  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by varyar

Considering they're essentially constructs (i.e. they aren't clones necessarily and had no youth), I would not be surprised by the idea that they are effectively immortal OR will just suddenly "stop" rather than traditional aging. They might be construed as advanced simulacrums or magen, and a major question that I don't know if it was ever answered.... can they reproduce?

My favorite theory in regards these is that one of the Alias clones was Midnight (aka future Mystra... with truename Ariel <=> leirA), and that it was through the aid of Phalse (an avatar of Leira in the form of a "beholder" with mouth stalks instead of eye stalks... somewhat resembling a deepspawn as well). We know that "Phalse" created at least 12 of these alias clones.... but do we truly know if that was the extent... or was that what we were led to believe to prevent further snooping?

What? Someone named Phalse would never lie after admitting to lying to their co-conspirators!

Very cool theory!

So here's the full list per Azure Bonds, The Wyvern's Stone and Song of the Saurials:

1 - Jade
2 - Cat
3 - Zhara
4 - Mulhorandi
5 - Northerner
6 - Waterdhavian lady
7 - Moonshae druid
8 - warrior in the East
9 - sage in Candlekeep
10 - mage in Immersea
11 - ?
12 - ?

(One of the two unknown sisters may or may not appear in my next DM's Guild product)
Go to Top of Page

redking
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2024 :  18:01:44  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCostaYep. The information on the other Alias vessels is taken from one passage in Azure Bonds and another in Song of the Saurials. FWIW, I wrote that entry in Bestiary of the Realms. :-)

Love the template, but if you ever revise it, I recommend that you lower the flat ability scores for the template from 17 to 15. 15 is the top score of the elite stat array, and represents a very competent person. 15 all around would be more than enough for an Alias clone.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2024 :  20:21:02  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think all 17s is what Alias had in the original 1st/2nd edition sourcebooks, so it was probably kept.

In terms of the list of Alias clones, I'm pretty sure that 2. Cat and 10. Mage in Immersea are the same clones since Cat is a mage in Immersea.
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2024 :  23:14:50  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I think all 17s is what Alias had in the original 1st/2nd edition sourcebooks, so it was probably kept.

In terms of the list of Alias clones, I'm pretty sure that 2. Cat and 10. Mage in Immersea are the same clones since Cat is a mage in Immersea.

Er... um...

Can you guess it's been a while since I've read any of the books? :D
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2024 :  18:45:13  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seravin is correct. I kept the 17s from previous 1E and 2E write ups. I thought about lowering them to 16 or even 15, but decided to stay consistent with the existing lore especially since we didn't see a lot of ability score changes between 1e/2e and 3e except usually to see them go higher given 3e's math. Now in 5E, I could see lowering them. Not sure if I'd go 15 or 16, but probably wouldn't stay at 17.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000