Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 A Troubled Economy Journals: Shugenja Shino Fumei

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 04:48:43
From Assur into the Hot Sand

02 JUN 2017

https://a-troubled-economy.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/from-assur-into-the-hot-sand

Both Danjo and I had arrived in the city of Assur for almost a month when the economic troubles began. It seems that trade routes have been pinched off and the city is grinding to a halt. This does not bode well for us, as we have come here seeking a way to regain wealth and power, if the city is starting to dry up then what we seek will surely not be here. Only a few days later both Danjo and I decided to move to the great temple that was offering work to almost anyone with any skill set. We were going to perform our musical talents to entertain those waiting when we were asked if we were going to get in line ourselves. We eventually did and were directed into a small room.

Actually that’s not exactly true, I told the man asking us questions about my skill sets and he informed me that I should wait in a different line than Danjo, reluctantly I did so, only to be pulled from line to go meet back up with him. It was rather silly in hindsight, a mistake I will not make a second time.

In this smaller room, there was 5 other people than myself; Danjo, the man hiring us, and 3 others. It seemed that we were to inspect a trade route and make sure it was still open (obviously not) or figure out why it was not. Any information towards figuring this out was desired, but if we were to go above the simple portion of the task and dig deeper, we would be rewarded even further.
We then spoke about meeting up, all 5 of us on the docks so we could be roused easily for when this task was ready to become official.

It happened the next day, and the assistant harbor master, Tuck Arbuckle, seemed eager to join us in our little venture. Seems the coin guaranteed was enough to have him turn a new leaf. So now the 6 of us entered into this arrangement to inspect the trade route. Danjo, Tuck the Halfling, Setibyr and Enalda both Aasimar, and Sahil a human.

We first set to get outfitted for the adventure we were about to undertake. It was expensive and quickly used up all my resources available, I had to borrow money from Setibyr, they offered to lend me some, and to be repaid once the task at hand was complete.

Finally we were ready, fresh supplies, two camels, and a mule, and the willingness to succeed no matter how onerous it was. The first day or so, it was hot, but between magic of myself and Sahil, we were able to keep the 6 of us from succumbing to the extreme heat, and this Sahil could also produce water from his magical abilities; a very useful gift in this wasteland.

A couple of days into this journey there was a flash flood, and it damn near washed us all away with it. Almost all of us were knocked on our asses! One by one, we each dug a weapon in the ground to gain sure footing in this and just let the water pass us by; then, to rebuild our broken supplies and what not. Another day into our travel we noticed the first sign of trouble with the route. Trade wagons broken along the route. We slowly approached the wagons to inspect them.

We were only around 50ft from them when 3 hobgoblins jumped out along with a bugbear, and attacked us. Two arrows bounced from my armor, but Danjo was not so lucky. We quickly dispatched these rather savage beasts, Setibyr is a mighty warrior and Enalda is very stout, these two will no doubt be good companions in a battle. Sahil used some form of magic, I didn’t get to see what, but he somehow weakened the bugbear, impressive to say the least. One hobgoblin decided to run away from us and Tuck gave chase to him. For such a small man, he ran with such haste, I wouldn’t have been able to keep up with him. I believe my companions are worth traveling with, I only hope they can feel the same about both Danjo and me, though we have yet to show our prowess in battle. Soon I fear we will prove ourselves. Danjo will no doubt show his abilities to wield his sword with the swiftness only one such samurai could, and I will consume our adversaries with the flame.

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:42:26
Exhausted and on the Brink

17 OCT 2020

With everything that has been going on over the past few days, life has been very hectic. Normally I try and keep my thoughts sorted out but I just haven’t had time to even think. We have been chasing one thing and running from another at the same time for what feels like ever, or at least as long as I can remember. Epaphus had to make some kind of deal and give up a memory in order to grab this spear, that apparently steals the memories of those who have their flesh opened by its blade, and Chand made a similar type deal with the other artifact; both are very powerful and both have the ability to think for themselves. I can help but wonder if Chand is in the right mind at this point, but when I really look at it, I am not sure any of us are in our right mind these days. I miss the simplicity of life in Wa. Young kids going off to school while the elders would labor for the day. Danjo and I would tend to the affairs of the fortress, whatever that would entail for that day. While sometimes the comings and goings of issues at home were tedious or even convoluted, they were nothing compared to the absolute bat shit crazy things we have had to deal with ever since getting into Asure.

We met Shar I think, or some kind of lesser avatar of her’s, and she wanted no part of our little adventure but instead wished us luck. If even Shar thinks we will need luck on our side, then maybe this is more hopeless than I had originally thought. I do not wish to cross paths with her again, as she is un-worldly powerful even though she was not truly there with us. I would wager every coin in Wa that she could rival everything I have ever crossed blades with or had to burn to ash, at the same time and would come out not only unscathed, but also with only having taken 10 seconds out of her day. She is too powerful for us to defeat so I find fortune on our side that she does not wish to impede us, at least not openingly.

We finally found some kind of shard in a central chamber which released a form of mist, and I now understand how much we have been doing to save everything… nothing. We have done almost nothing and we need to turn around and figure out what we actually need to be doing but what we are doing will only expedite the process.

By the gods I wish I were back in Wa watching over Danjo in one of his opium dreams, making sure the damn fool didn’t sleep outside, again…

I am tired… not so much physically but mentally… I find my head is constricting my thoughts these days and I need more room to think clearly again… Its strange that I think that to myself but really I am not sure clearly is a way I can ever think again. I should thank the gods for breaking my mind and blending it then pouring it into the bucket, only to pour it back into my head.

I need sleep but only for my head…

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:39:46
What In the Nine Hells have we Gotten Into

21 AUG 2020

As the gargantuan creature thrashes around in front of the group, Shino calls out in his mind, “Leira, you said you would listen to my prayers when you ascended and yet here I am calling out to what seems to be nothing. I need your enlightenment and help. I beseech you, aid me in my time of need. I was your vassal unwillingly and unknowingly, but now I am choosing to be your vassal fully knowing of who and what you are. Still I choose to submit to your will and follow my own truth through your lens.”

After uttering this pray in his mind, Shino thinks back on the time he has had with is new friends and battle buddies; giving each of them a few seconds of consideration within his mind and thinking a small prayer to Leira for their safety. Danjo on the other hand, Shino thinks long on, he thinks back over more of his life and how Danjo played a major role in many, if not every, aspect of his life. How he helped to mold him into a man rather than a boy and how he believed in Shino even at times when Shino himself did not. Truly it would destroy his father if he were to die first so at the very least he must survive longer than is father so as to not subject him to that torment before his own death.

“Whatever happens, I will not allow you to take me before you take my father, I cannot allow him to feel that level of pain again.” Shino quietly utters before watching this creature throw Danjo some 150 feet behind Shino.

“By the gods, I believe this thing to be beyond out capabilities, or at the very least beyond my own.” Shino again says this quietly before raising his voice, “We need to get out of here, NOW.”

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:37:05
The Wrong Choice is Better than No Choice

Shackled and Scolded

15 MAY 2020

As we were exploring the area after the rubble blockade, the one without demons that is, we stumbled upon a well laid trap. One with dwarfs suspended on some kind of rack, with some of their entrails pulled from them. I only know of this because after Chand cast some kind of spell, I would assume a dispel but I honestly wasn’t looking, I could hear their screaming. Shayzala had cast some sort of spell trying to heal these unfortunate people, only to slow down their death and prolong their suffering. I believe she meant good in her deed, but I believe it caused more suffering and was in my eyes in error. I then proceeded to act quickly and without too more forethought, and laid to rest all the dwarves with a casting of my own. However this activated the trap that Jarus had noticed and if it wasn’t for Chand’s quick thinking and action, could have resulted in serious injury.

There was also a forge in that room, and the explosion from the trap more than the one from my fireball, knocked it over and it began to become unstable. We had to flee quickly back into the room with the two blockades. Here Danjo asked for some healing and Shayzala obliged him and then lightly scolded me for my rash act. I do understand her position on the matter, it was not thought through as well as it should have been and I do need to plan my actions more accordingly, but those dwarves needed to be laid to rest quickly and no one was doing anything but talking and thinking. I had the courage to act, I had to ability and the heart to do what was necessary, even if it would have gotten me hurt or even killed. My old teacher back in Wa use to say, “When you are forced into any decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing, for it is better to do the wrong thing than to do nothing at all.”

Chand decided to use his teleport spell to go check on the knocked over furnace at the forge and seemingly as soon as he did that Jasus put manacles on me. He then proceeded to scold me like I am a child. I get why he is angry at me and I totally understand why he would do what he did but I swear he is lucky that I did not retaliate once he removed them. I hold within myself the power to devastate entire mountains, to conquer kingdoms single handed. While I will not kill him, I have no love for him. Shayzala I do not wish to see harmed but Jarus, I wouldn’t even grace his grave with my urine.

Chand reemerged from the other side stating that he was unable to do anything about the furnace and then erected a black wall of force to adsorb the explosion from that furnace when it finally became volatile. We then used his ability to travel to the other side of the blocked hallway, right into a room with demons and a vampire from Wa. A renown vampire who was once a samurai just as Danjo is. The start of the conflict was strangely furious. Both Danjo and Tjordiir sprang into action swinging their weapons with speed I have never seen before and all the while Chand was throwing blasts of his arcane energies into the mix.
We may be facing our own death here and these my final thoughts, and if they are my final thoughts then Leira, I wish to hold a seat at your feet when I perish. I wish to be a weapon for you that you can rely upon in times of need and to hold court with you when there is no need for force. Even the most powerful of deities have the need for minions and I wish to be one of your few.

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:34:46
Death and Disappearance

Replacements and Resurrections

06 MAR 2020

Have you ever had a bowl of rice with only a very small spoon full of teriyaki sauce in it? Sure it gives the entire bowl a hint of flavor, yet it isn’t enough for the flavor to be full, it’s only a slight hint of teriyaki. This is how I feel. My body, if one could call it mine at their point, is the rice and my soul, again if you can refer to it as mine, is the sauce. I no longer feel whole enough to pass for me but rather a former shell of who I once was.

After all I’ve seen and experienced over these last few years…at least I think it’s been years… I no longer believe any of us will make it out of here alive, but I hope, maybe with false hope, that at least one of us will.

By the nine, has it only been that long? Has it really been THAT long?

I want to tell my father about the hole inside me but I fear that would only make him worried immensely for my well-being. I do not wish to place extra worry on him after just having watched him die then a have to watch me be remade. I guess I’ll internalize this, again, and just hope for the best. I dare not speak of whet transpired in the hells nor of my time as a ghost like phantom. I do not know what power that place still might have over me and I have no desire to return there. Our new companions seem suited enough for our mission, though I wonder on Sahil and his well-being. Be safe poor begger/healer. May your journey be an easy one from here. Our new friend with the swords seems powerful and arrogant, I’ll have to watch him close, while the one who brought me back seems to be powerful in her own right. Maybe not able to deal death, but to deny it. She seemed really beaten down when I came to…Steve’s handy work? I only know that the truth of everything lies within the mists of deception. My only wish is to see this task through and then to rest…maybe for a day…maybe for ever.

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:32:37
What have done?

07 FEB 2020

What have I done?!

Something in my mind made me make a deal with that undead beast! I was willing to offer up my companions and my father in order to secure a seat of power in whatever kingdom that this litch had formed. Something isn’t right with me if I am so easily persuaded to do such a thing.

I even went as far as to try and actually kill them. I blinded them all with a burst of pure sunlight, then electrified them. I fear they feel they cannot trust me more then I feel they shouldn’t.

We are so close to the end of the journey, I can taste it but what if when we get there, they control me again and I’m awoken to just me standing where my friends’ bodies lay? I need to be more diligent in keeping my mind in check but somehow they keep twisting my thoughts and feeling. I cannot allow this to happen again. I am Shino, the Phoenix re born, not some blundering idiot! I’m a master among masters and will not fall victim to more mind ****ery. This I choose to believe, be it the truth or not, it will give me the strength to continue on beyond my normal limits, beyond my self doubt.

To the gods who are still listening, I offer a prayer for your guidance in the days to come as they will likely be the most trying yet. Of Torm, Tyr and Ilmater I ask for strength, justice, and mercy for I will need strength to carry on, justice to see they what must be done will be, and mercy for the wrong I have done and for my companions to be able to walk this path. I pray to all who might listen to me, that for just this once, that the mists might open and allow me too see what must be done.

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:30:34
The Spire...

And a Horrible Storm

13 DEC 2019

None of us were prepared for the horrible hurricane as we stepped out of the fey wild and back into our own realm. The wind almost instant separated us and flung each of us in different directions. Through Chand’s incredible abilities he was able to get a hold of me and slowly bring us back to the group, but before we could all get together a demon or devil materialized and stopped time it seemed. We were all throwing what we could at this thing…whatever it was until my father stepped forward to swing a perfect strike and cleaved that foul creature right in two. Pride in my family name, my heritage, swelled up within me. My father, a master swordsman with his stolen son, a pyromancer of sorts, questing to save the world together. It sounds like something out of a child’s book yet here we are facing such a reality.After Danjo killed the creature the storm started in again… Gods be damned! This storm is more destructive than the devil my father dispatched.

Sahil used some sort of magic and made a net, a large net, and we all were able to gather up. Once we were within arms reach Sahil cast teleport and we all appeared in at the edge of the Island we had been searching for. Relief…followed quickly by resolve filled me as we started to head inward to this spire when some other demon came out of the water to attack us. It used some kind of magic on Chand and he began vomiting what appeared to be seawater. I had no time to feel sorry for him as I was busy blasting the creature with a ready of disintegration and hit the beast square on. It dissolved into nothing almost instantly. With a swell of pride and a sense of relief, we set to the spire itself. We deliberated what in the hell we were going to do, sneak in or attempt to bash in the front door. While we were discussing this master Dwarf just walls up and rings the bell. This frightened me as I know this is where we must go to get whatever we must do taken care of. Which makes me think we are walking into open gates of the hells. However nothing came to greet us except for a big wooden elevator. We reluctantly entered and it started moving quickly upwards…

Whatever is at the top of this spire I’m sure is evil and is going to try and kill us.

We need to be ready…

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:28:27
The Best Laid Plans Of Waneise Men

and lesser men

29 NOV 2019

As son the of Danjo, I could sit in the war room with him and his advisors when getting ready for battle. They would discuss tactics and strategy; debate over where forces should be deployed and best utilized. Sitting around with my new companions reminds me of that simpler time, as we discuss the how’s and where’s to our current predicament. Chand still seems to think that this, shadowfell, would be a good course to set, but I do not think we know enough yet about this realm to be able to utilize it effectively and thus do not wish to employ that route just yet.

We know we must go out over the sea to this three-knuckled spire, but that is really all we know. How far out into the sea we are not certain and the exact direction we are also just guessing at. I hate to have the world hinge on us guessing the right direction to travel, yet we have no other choice.

Sahil has this grand spell that will retreat us into a pocket dimension and allow us to rest safely. Between that spell and his ability to summon flying mounts for us and lastly my ability to allow us to walk on the air as though it were the earth itself, might just be enough for us to make it there, but will it be fast enough… Only time well tell.

Time…something we do not have in great supply. We have only a tenday or less until we have lost our window to correct this wrong.

How strange that at a time such as this, looking straight into the head of a ballista dart ready to fire through my chest, that I don’t long for the warmth brought by a soft skinned maiden, but rather a quick and merciful death. I fear if I were to survive this ordeal that little of who I was will survive with me.

Danjo talks of opium from time to time or of hookers. The old fool thinks he still would enjoy those things at that point. I am not sure I would ever be able to relax after all seen.

Rakor and Weshtek, I must apologize to your souls. After you both perished I went in search that cloak you had hidden from me, I used deaths as an excuse to mourn but really I only used your death as a means to acquire that wretched thing. I thank Tyr for his justice in that I was unable to.

May you both rest in peace.

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:26:24
A Group of Truly Impressive People

Chand the enigma

07 NOV 2019

I am somewhat amazed and perplexed by Chand the hin. Some moments he seems to irrational and just spur of the moment and yet other times he has this clarity of methodical thought. He is really quite an enigma that I doubt I will ever truly understand.

He stood there attempting to convince us all that traveling through the shadowfell would be faster and safer, yet when asked specifics, he had no answers. It was almost as if he just thought to himself, well this sounds good to me now to so how much traction this prospect can have worth the rest of them.

No real contemplation or concern about it, just a “nifty” idea.

There have been many times Chand had shown forethought about a situation though, such as when we were facing into the huge abyss of chaos, he tried to puzzle out what was going on and how to best navigate the chaos without being destroyed. Were he to think about they much as he did the shadowfell we would have jumped in head first and been undoubtedly crushed by the chaos and floating debris.
I’ll likely never understand his true nature, yet there is probably some things I can gain from his mode of thought it lack thereof, depending on the situation.

Yet his prowess is magnificent! In the amount of time it would take me to invoke a single incantation, this small man managed to throw a string of magical energies into a wraith destroying it before it would consume the rest of what Sahil had left in him. I am thankful to Chand for this, though I would stake my life that Sahil’s gratitude dwarfs mine by a million to one.

I’m also very, very impressed at what my father and Tjordiir was able to do working together. Two masters of the sword, so to speak, decimated a golem made of obsidian. At lest I think it was obsidian, could have been onyx I guess. These Two, in just a mild amount of time more than Chand needed to destroy that wraith, rendered than golem completely lifeless… Well lifeless isn’t the right way to say it… Perhaps inanimate is a better term. Either way, dead or broken, they finished the task really quickly. Had we not been knee deep in peril at the moment I might have spent more time with my mouth agape.

I’m not without my moment of glory here though, some horrid rider of a nightmareish horse had said that they had finally found us. I have that bastard the only thing I could, a blast of pure primordial energy; A ball of light so radiant that for am the moment it was there the sun itself seemed dim. The rider and its bestial mount both seemed struck unprepared for such a burst and teleported back to wherever in the hells they had come from.

Between the lot of us we are safe, for the moment at least.

We need to get moving and finish this lest we succumb to the horrors of Asmodeus and his lot.

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:24:03
Sahil, the Fixer

Chand, needing fixed

06 SEP 2019

Sahil, the righter of wrongs, corrected two problems within minutes of each other. I couldn’t really believe the power this, child, possesses. I say child yet, he isn’t much younger than myself.
Chand had lost his mind, no doubt from this prismatic wall, muttering absurdities to himself… Thankfully Sahil could cure his mind, otherwise we might have had to lay him to rest.
Then what does the hin do? Tried to dispel a rune that he has almost no knowledge of! BUKA!

Some giant, nasty, bug creature materializes out of no where and begins eating Chand with a massive swarm. Jumping into action to try and save the small man’s life, I eradicate the swarm in an instant, the buzzing of thousands of insects instantly replaced with roaring flame and the popping of these bugs. I didn’t however have any success against the large bug thing. That’s where Sahil, once again, showed how amazing he is. He dismisses the creature and poof, he were alone again. However Sahil wasn’t done yet, the hin has been poisoned by hundreds of thousand stings. He was dying or already dead. Sahil just, poof, fixed him like new.

Then we finally found what we have been seeking… The earth blood!

Praise the gods! We finally made it.

Something…I don’t know what, just called to me… This earth blood looked like it should be ultra hot, like thousands of degrees, yet seemed to be room temperature. I had to touch it, I had to know if it was like molten rock… But no, instead of burning my finger off, it touched my mind. I saw… The weave? Flowing across everything, connected to everything?

After that, Chand, big surprise, just drinks the Damn earth blood. By the gods… He became stronger. Visibly stronger.

We then basically took turns touching the earth blood, or drinking it until we had all done both.

Then we started going back… Now to where though…to inspect a trade route and make sure it was still open (obviously not) or figure out why it was not. Any information towards figuring this out was desired, but if we were to go above the simple portion of the task and dig deeper, we would be rewarded even further.

We then spoke about meeting up, all 5 of us on the docks so we could be roused easily for when this task was ready to become official.

It happened the next day, and the assistant harbor master, Tuck Arbuckle, seemed eager to join us in our little venture. Seems the coin guaranteed was enough to have him turn a new leaf. So now the 6 of us entered into this arrangement to inspect the trade route. Danjo, Tuck the Halfling, Setibyr and Enalda both Aasimar, and Sahil a human.

We first set to get outfitted for the adventure we were about to undertake. It was expensive and quickly used up all my resources available, I had to borrow money from Setibyr, they offered to lend me some, and to be repaid once the task at hand was complete.

Finally we were ready, fresh supplies, two camels, and a mule, and the willingness to succeed no matter how onerous it was. The first day or so, it was hot, but between magic of myself and Sahil, we were able to keep the 6 of us from succumbing to the extreme heat, and this Sahil could also produce water from his magical abilities; a very useful gift in this wasteland.

A couple of days into this journey there was a flash flood, and it damn near washed us all away with it. Almost all of us were knocked on our asses! One by one, we each dug a weapon in the ground to gain sure footing in this and just let the water pass us by; then, to rebuild our broken supplies and what not. Another day into our travel we noticed the first sign of trouble with the route. Trade wagons broken along the route. We slowly approached the wagons to inspect them.

We were only around 50ft from them when 3 hobgoblins jumped out along with a bugbear, and attacked us. Two arrows bounced from my armor, but Danjo was not so lucky. We quickly dispatched these rather savage beasts, Setibyr is a mighty warrior and Enalda is very stout, these two will no doubt be good companions in a battle. Sahil used some form of magic, I didn’t get to see what, but he somehow weakened the bugbear, impressive to say the least. One hobgoblin decided to run away from us and Tuck gave chase to him. For such a small man, he ran with such haste, I wouldn’t have been able to keep up with him. I believe my companions are worth traveling with, I only hope they can feel the same about both Danjo and me, though we have yet to show our prowess in battle. Soon I fear we will prove ourselves. Danjo will no doubt show his abilities to wield his sword with the swiftness only one such samurai could, and I will consume our adversaries with the flame.

[/quote]
cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:21:27
Is Anything Real Anymore???

09 AUG 2019

Amidst this dark and dreary set of caverns and whatever the gods have forsaken down here, we have found what seems to be the tomb of Alaric, holy warrior of Torm. We seem to have found some kind of key that Alaric had left behind for those clever enough to find his hidden message.

The walls…if you can call them walls, sea a multi hue of radiant colors seemingly in a completely chaotic array. The floor on the other hand is perfectly placed and of the highest magnitude of order and structure. Such a stark contrast has me contemplating many aspects of reality.

After searching for some time for anything, everything, something, or nothing, we decided to backtrack to the tomb again and use it as a safe house so to speak. Sahil used a masterful spell that allowed us all to travel into a pocket dimension. It was a beautiful field, a glade of grasses and bushes and trees. It was beautifully amazing and the sun pounding down felt so foreign and amazing. Some of the others started to discuss what their plans were when we were forced to return to the caverns of horror, but I wanted nothing to do with that; my intentions was to enjoy the respite to it’s fullest extent.
Eventually I feel asleep in this glad a and was awoken suddenly with the strange feeling that I was starkly different. The others within the little group of ours had aged seemingly randomly, some much older and others much younger… I seemed to be younger than my father Danjo!!

Reality seemed split, almost a foggy image of reality and one that seemed true…but I trust nothing anymore.

I set out without much more than just mentioning I was departing and the rest seemed to follow.

We ended up finding what I can only assume was what Alaric had locked as his seal, a stone block with a lid of some kind. We removed the lid and entered into the darkness below with the help of magic spells that would aid us in falling so we wouldn’t plummet to our deaths. Something, a barrier perhaps, ripped the magics from us as we fell, so we plummeted anyway. Chand seemed to take the fall the hardest, but Sahil was quick on the draw. Thanks to Ilmater he was able to revive the Hin not much worse fur the wear.

I still question if we are actually here or maybe still stuck within a dream world or perhaps I am dead and this is my punishment for my grievances. Only Torm and the triad may know, yet I’ll continue as I have, mostly because I have no other choice.

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:18:44
The End for Shino

or is it

23 JAN 2019

Shino jumps awake with a struggled groan. He slowly stands, using his staff as a means to support his own weight for he is still much too weak. He scans the temple room for his allies but they are nowhere to be found. “Danjo? Sahil?” he manages to whisper. As the words leave his lips he winces as the pain in the throat is almost unbearable. As he slowly walks across the room the only thing catching his eye is a black book lying upon floor, seemingly out of place. Shino’s eyes are tired and weak and he struggles to focus on the book before his eyes grow wide. “It can’t be… we got rid of you.”
A voice seemingly coming from nowhere answers Shino. ”Did you now? How convenient of you to have just gotten rid of me so easily and all is forgiven. I am like an oil my dear Shino, an oil that has seeped into your soul. The only way to be rid of me is to burn me out and you along with me.” The voice erupts into laughter. “No MY Shino, you will never be rid of me, so long as you draw breath then you are mine.”

An image of Tyr materializes in the middle of the room, the book behind Tyr and Shino directly in front of him. Tyr stretches out one hand and points out the exit of the temple. “Shino” he says in a booming voice. “you were warned not to continue such vile things yet you prosiest in these actions. I hereby banish you from this dwelling, as it is a house of purity and of noble intent. If you cannot abide the dealings that we have arranged then you must leave or face death.”

Shino throws himself to the ground. “Tyr, I have not, I would not… after what Danjo had taken as my payment I would never betray his sacrifice. Please hear me! Ilmater had…”
“SILENCE!”

Ilmater also materializes next to Tyr. “Mercy is what I have given to you Shino, and my mercy you have squandered. Be gone from this place or I shall have Torm render you lifeless.” Ilmater dissipates into nothing and only a moment later so does Tyr, all except for his outstretched hand pointing outward from the temple.

With tears in his eyes Shino grabs at his staff and pushes himself back to his feet. “Very well.” Shino begins slowly making his way out of the temple and as soon as he crosses the door it slams shut behind him with a deafening boom. Shino’s head is pounding and he clenches his eyes shut and holds his head in his one free hand. After a few moments his ears stop ringing and he opens his eyes again only to see Danjo suspended in air and that hideous demon in front of him laughing and pointing at Shino. “Very good my young servant. You have delivered well. Not only do I get to clam your father, but then I will feast upon you as well. HAHAHA”

Shino’s eyes grow wide and he tries to cast a spell at the beast but in his weakened state he is unable to remember exactly how to spell goes. The botched spell causes his blood to pound in his ears and all sound is down out for a moment. The demon turns to Danjo and says something that Shino cannot make out the words. Then Danjo Erupts into flame and is all but completely consumed in an instant.
Shino screams in horror and fear. “DANJO!! NOOOO! WHAT HAVE I DONE!”

The demon looks to Shino and speaks. “Only EXACTLY as you had been instructed to. It seems that not even your father was worth anything in your eyes. But now it is time for you to pay your price.”
Shino erupts in flames himself, his flesh bubbling up and his lungs hot with every ragged breath. He desperately tries to scream but he cannot get the strength to push that much air through his mouth. Then the fires rage through him and consume him and the ash dissipates. The demon laughs one more time before fading away into nothingness…

Then Shino jumps awake with a struggled groan… “ohh what the hells?”

The book on the floor beckons to him but and the nightmare relives itself… over and over

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:15:46
Death at Every Turn

Goodbye Rakor and Weshtek

24 AUG 2018

We lost 3 of us… 3 of us dead. That brings our group to 4 live members…

We were looking around in this underdark for this ore with a capital O and found a large pit going down into the darkness. Chand used a spell, I believe it was spider climb based on the abilities it granted him, and he walked down the side of this pit while the rest of us headed down the slope of this pit slowly. We tied ourselves together and attempted to descend into the darkness below when Ayda decided she could brave the slope on her own. Danjo, not meaning to have any kind of foresight told her, “If you go falling to your death screaming, you only have yourself to blame.” which was exactly what happened.

At the bottom we found the remains of Ayda, she looked much like a grape that had been stepped on. Chand informed us that he had been robbed by an Ilithid… I cannot believe that he encountered one of these horrid beasts alone and yet survived, but yet here he is. We perused the beast into the darkness and found another creature here, some weird seemingly boneless creature, who claimed to have been robbed by the same creature.

We chased this Ilithid for a little while before coming to a small clearing and being attacked by the ilithid and this weird boneless creature. The bastard betrayed us… fight me in open combat if you dare, but keep your word for that is the way of honor. Deceive me and I will carve out a special place in the hells for you.

Along with those two there was a giant obsidian golem and it attempted to crush every one of us. Weshtek fell under a spell and then slipped into the waters to drown… what a horrible way for such a powerful friend to die. Why didn’t any of us jump into the water to save him? I think I will never forgive myself for that!

Then Rakor get flattened by this golem’s hammer and just straight… well, died.

Chand showed remorse for our fallen comrades as the only reason Rakor and Weshtek died was because we were trying to get his belongings back.

Rakor and Weshtek, as long as this body still draws breath, then you will be remembered.

Finally to speak of, Weshtek did not have that cloak on his person, it was missing…Weshtek and Rakor must have hidden it somewhere… that does not bode well as who knows who might find it.

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:12:48
Another Meeting with the Contract Devil

Blue haired surprise

27 JUL 2018

As we sat around in our “safe” room, the waters seemed to bubble up and spew forth an elf or some sort. A moon elf if I am not mistaken. She is fairly attractive in many senses, if one were to be attracted to elves that is. She scared the ever living shit out of us and we almost killed her. I mistook her for a fey at first and given my dealings with the fey in the recent history, I wanted to cause no such commotion with them again.

We managed to sort the issue out mostly, except for Weshtek, he remains ever suspicious of her, and rightly so. I mean, we were discussing a rather powerful artifact when she showed up out of the blue…no pun intended. Weshtek has been on guard ever since she arrived, baring the same runic patterns on her torso that I was umm, imbued with, at the hands of the wraith. Her markings have something extra on them than mine lack, and it has become our understanding that this is one of those people that get destroyed when one of us tries to leave a specific area before we are finished with our task here.
Weshtek is correct to be concerned about her, but not to the level he is, I believe he is acting overly paranoid, though it is easy to understand given where we are and what we have witnessed here.
We encountered the Drow priestess and the elf woman, Ayda I believe her name is, shot her once with her bow, right between the eyes. The arrow hit with such force that it actually went through her entire head! I must say, it was most impressive. Should I ever find myself needing to be rid of her, an attack from the shadows would be like my best chance.

Then we went back to the room with those large iron doors, the only place we feel relatively safe here. Others went upstairs and outside for fresh air, but I stayed and needed to refocus myself. Rakor also stayed behind, not that he needed to, but rather chose to for whatever purpose he had in mind. It came to our attention, Rakor and me that the contract devil had returned. Outside in the cold he offered Ayda a contract that would alter Weshtek’s mind in exchange for the exact same findings that our contracts are held to… find this damned Ore. The capital O is of great importance for some reason.
We came to a middle point though, alter the contract so that if Weshtek were to leave then it would be himself that would be consumed in the pillar of fire, and if Ayda were to leave she would also consume herself. This set Ayda at ease, but Weshtek still needed reassurance, so we now must bind the elf every night as we rest just in case she were to try to kill Weshtek. I think that is over doing it, as if she were here to kill us then she likely would have used the Drow to help her rather than to get inside out defenses, but I am no elf and they seem to have an odd thought pattern.

Rakor has committed himself to having his soul taken within 2 weeks time from today in order to change the contract to consume him. I believe he has a plan… and I do not believe I like his thoughts, but I cannot be forceful without upsetting everyone in the group. I want that damned cloak and I believe after their efforts to have the contract devil destroy the cloak in the contract, I believe Rakor wants to destroy it the only way he might be able to. I must find a way to keep him from trying that…I must find a way to get the others to realize that me using the cloak is our best chance for survival down here. We are living on the edge of the abyss, and the others don’t want to use every advantage offered to them? Maybe it is correct…it’s just a means of controlling those whom they deem powerful enough to be a threat. Mayhap they all just need some unorthodox convincing.

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:10:11
Is this real or are we still dreaming?

I have failed Danjo and myself

11 JUL 2018

I was unable to see through the illusion. When we first showed up on that snow covered hill side, I thought we were trapped in an illusion, but I looked and tried to see through it, and it was real to me. The others… I failed them. I failed myself…

Rakor seemed to see through whatever it was for a moment before losing his mind, saying the weirdest things and bumbling around like a crazy man. Our new half sized companion also seemed to lose his mind after thinking he saw some kind of… I don’t even know.

Danjo came to me with Sahil and they were talking about something, trying to see reality for what it was or something, then Danjo started to choke me out. Telling me that it was going to be ok that he was choking me out, it made me feel like I was the only one left with any sanity. Not but a second later they proved it to me, Danjo lost his mind and started running around saying idiotic things and trading attempts to kill each other with Chand.

Then Sahil and Weshtek somehow removed the illusion from the rest of us. I was too exhausted to even think… but had they not seen through this illusion, we all would have perished. Danjo relies on me for understanding magic and helping to see through illusions and pretty much anything that is magical, and I failed him.

I must refocus myself, I have lost so much of what I once was back in Wa, and I do not think I can ever quite be the same. I’m beginning to doubt in my own abilities to keep myself and Danjo safe from harm. I cannot say that I would be able to see through that illusion again even knowing that it is an illusion. I feel worthless as it is my abilities to be mostly self reliant that makes me take pride in who I am and what I have become.

Perhaps if and when we find this deposit of onyx and get free from our contract, if we do indeed get free from it, then I might make my way to Lastar and seek to join to local guard there. Surely they will have a place for one skilled such as me. I will likely have to start as a lowly apprentice or sorts, but if I bide my time then I’m sure to make it into the ranks of their elite, where I would belong.

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 05:06:29
The Purple blinding fog

Danjo broken... again

06 APR 2018

We have managed to get ourselves screwed into working for a wraith. It wants us to do 3 things I guess. We need to kill a drow priestess, subdue the priest of Orcus, and give him some earth blood. I have no idea how we are going to be able to do such things, as it was the priest of Orcus who chased us down here. We are now in a blood oath to do just that. We first tried the priest of Orcus, like we have any kind of chance as that. It ended very poorly, trapped in a hallway with a demon and its spawn. Some sort of trap in the room behind the demon sent billowing smoke into the hallway. Were it not for my ever impressive use of magic we all would have perished. In a general type way, the entire group thanked me, as well they should have! I saved their asses!

Then we decide to go after this drow bitch of a priestess, I am not confident that we had any chance here either, but we have no choice. Poking around the cavern we discover this purple fog. It is thick and one can almost taste it. Danjo braved the fog first, only to get nailed by some sort of curved blade… an axe maybe? Whatever is in there it would not pursue out of the fog and it is definitely undead of some fashion or another. Danjo and I decided to try and trip this corpse and found that it only cut our rope… the good news is that we now have two ropes…

Danjo took a crippling wound to the Achilles tendon… blast the gods… this same thing happened once to me. Only a ten day ago… or two ten day ago… or perhaps… well it was recent anyway. By the gods, how long have we been down here? Danjo and his wound, I carried him back out of the fog, and Sahil with his mastery of some kind of magic, summoned up some wolves to munch on that undead bastard. They seem to have finished the job well enough. Sahil shows great promise in the arts, with more practice I wouldn’t be surprised if he would breathe life back into a body; such power to bring the dead back to life, a power that I will never have sadly. It is of little consequence, I have power of my own, if not to bring the dead back to life, then it is to burn the life out of things. That is just a different form of power… though one can breed fear while the other, not so much.

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 04:59:14
Into the Temple

and Danjo's cowardice

03 NOV 2017

So we decided to head back over to the temple of Torm and see what we could do about moving the statue and going into the undercroft. Using a spell to command the statue of Torm out of the way, we gained access to the undercroft and were able to use the spell scrolls attained from the temple of the Red Knight to gain entrance to the side rooms. A room for teaching and reading of text, no doubt religious in nature, and two other rooms used for storing belongings of various nature. Scrolls, armor, arms, and bottles believed to be filled with holy water; these were among the things discovered. Of note, there was also a really nice suit of armor of the olden days.

We, as a group, decided that it would be best to leave anything we would not find useful here, as looting a holy temple for personal gain seems acquisitive and would likely incur the wrath of some kind of deity or another.

This brings me to another thing, Danjo. I do not know what is going through your mind Danjo, but it would seem that you are either pulling the wool over this Torm’s eyes, which seems very foolish to try and deceive a deity, or that you are truly subjecting yourself to his will in order to save own skin which is a less than noble path. Cowardice I would go as far as to say. This change of heart you are having, and furthermore you are subjecting yourself to a foreign god even. Not only the acts of a coward, but of one who betrays their homeland for a sense of security. Danjo, you have always been someone I look up to, someone I aspired to be like, whether that was good or bad, it is, or was. I’m not sure anymore my Danjo, my father like man. Glorious in battle, covered in the life blood of your foes, who would lay broke in body and spirit before and beneath you.

Now I believe I see a man who was, who is, so afraid to lose his life that he would submit to a god, valorous as this Torm may be, who has no real touch in our lands. Danjo, what is it that you are becoming?
We decided to rest for the night and in the morning we are planning on heading to an area of interest not far from here, before heading back to Asur to report in. May the kami protect us on our journey.

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 04:54:37
Memories of the past

30 JUN 2017

As I was pulling Danjo into the temple I was overcome with a sense of fear, the kind of fear I had not felt since I first encountered Danjo, 9 years ago. He was charged with issuing justice upon my family and did so with seemingly no remorse or hesitation. Though I will say, he did give them the choice for an honorable death. Both my mother and my father took their own life as a way to save their honor, which would have cleared my name, if I was indeed old enough to be guilty of their crimes.

They had not been as careful as they should have been while skimming off the top and misreporting their earnings to the local shogun. It took some time before they were found out, but when they did, their honor was destroyed. The family, our ancestors, and all of our land fell into disgrace. Danjo showed up to right our wrong.

He took me, as a prize for his completion of the task, and I was then overcome with fear, the very same fear I would feel when attempting to save his life. Was I to be his slave and no longer be allowed schooling as I had been with my parents? Would he use me as a mule only to lift and carry? Or possibly he would have foul and twisted desires that he would force me to accommodate…

Strangely enough, he gave me a rather lavish room, and almost anything I could have ever wanted, including access to better schooling. It seems that my fears were misplaced in him. It was because of him that I was able to finish school at the top of my class, and begin training as a wielder of the all consuming flame. I owe almost everything I am today to him, so as long as I draw breath, I will do everything within my abilities to make sure he lives.

I do think of my mother and father sometimes, I have a great many memories of them, but my thoughts quickly turn to their inability to stay within the confines of the law. At least they should have been better about not getting caught cheating. It makes me sick to think that I am their child. I am great and powerful. I am far more intelligent that they ever were, yet I am their child. I choose to not associate myself with them or their lineage, I even went as far as to change my name so that I would not be connected with them.

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 04:51:40
Trouble on the Trade Way

Wondrous sights in Lastar

https://a-troubled-economy.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/trouble-on-the-trade-way

16 JUN 2017

We captured a hobgoblin and attempted to extract information from him, but we had no clear ways of communication to him. We decided to keep him captive and wait until we arrived at our destination and then have someone else translate for us. On our path he managed to escape somehow and ran off. We tracked him, and by we, I mean mostly Sahil and Tuck. This hobgoblin had managed to run off with not supplies and fell victim to the harshness of the desert. No information could be gathered this way, but one of the others spoke of a spell that could allow one to speak with the dead. Fascinating, I will have to try and study this spell at a later date.

Getting closer to Lastar we found a group of wagons damaged beyond repair with the bodies of countless men, no women, littered around the place. It seems crude harnesses were constructed to hold these men down to be raped. What type of ****ing vile monstrosities are we going to encounter here? As we continued still, we found yet another group of wagons, this time with Lastar in sight! It seems the city state would do nothing outside of their walls, pathetic it seems to push for trade and yet offer no protection for the merchants.

This group of wagons was set ablaze by some kind of oily black tar, and when mixed into water is became violently volatile. This explosion I feared would bring the marauders back into the camp to rape the lot of us to death; this is not a fate I wish to endure, so I suggested, rather forcefully, that we needed to depart NOW.

At the city gates we were “greeted” by the city guard. They asked a few questions and set us about our business, nothing really important to note about these guards, except they were in mass number and many seemed very, very capable.

Inside the city, it was like nothing I had ever seen before. Races I had only read about and heard mention of once or twice. It was really a feast for the eyes. If I did not have pressing business I might spend many months here to learn much of what this place has to offer, but for now we have business.

We made arrangements to possible have that spell to speak to the dead hobgoblin cast for us, but we will have to wait and see what happens.

The most wondrous thing I have ever seen, no one will ever believe me back home in Wa, this in has a beholder as a keeper. Pours drinks and talks to patrons. What the hell? Even the music and the entertainment are not like any I had ever seen. If I were a rich man, I would spend my life inside of this city and learn every secret that it has to offer me, but I must be ready to finish my tasks, both immediate, reopening the trade route, and the long term, helping Danjo reclaim his land. Both are equally important to me, as I gave my word to do so, and my word is my bond.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000