Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 "The Pirate King" - Chapters 1-9

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Artemas Entreri Posted - 07 Mar 2015 : 19:01:49
Enjoying the opening though it doesn't really feel like part of a "trilogy." So far what's bothered me most is Regis' reaction to the Harpells polymorphing a murderer into a bunny. Really Regis?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Charles Phipps Posted - 12 Apr 2022 : 11:34:19
Coincidentally, I was reading this exact part of the book at this time and am sad the Book Reads ended around here. Still, for lack of anything better to do, I'm going to share my thoughts on these chapters:

+ Regis being appalled and horrified by the Harpells turning people into rabbits isn't necessarily unbelievable but by this point, he's already seem people horribly butchered and destroyed by their magic during wartime. He also used to work in a thieves guild with wererats and mind-control so I'm not sure where this moral outrage comes from.

+ I know how the luskan plot will end and can't help but be reminded of the Mereen Knot of George R.R. Martin. I certainly am getting strong, "If we overthrow the government of this dictatorship, we're doing them a favor but do we really know how to work things in the aftermath?" energy.

+ I do like how Drizzt and company just kind of stumble into a massive invasion of Luskan to take down the Arcane Brotherhood.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Feb 2019 : 10:15:15
quote:
Originally posted by mariaLavi

No one back?

I think that there's not a lot of activity in this particular discussion because it's a bit of an older book, so no one is actively reading it now.
mariaLavi Posted - 11 Feb 2019 : 05:14:11
No one back?
mariaLavi Posted - 11 Jan 2019 : 22:18:48
I love pirates and astrology! Kind of random, but im new here so be friendly please
jurasw Posted - 11 Jul 2016 : 09:50:19
This Pirate thing is absolutely not for me, way too stretched story-wise for my taste.
Entromancer Posted - 11 May 2015 : 16:39:43
This is my favorite Drizzt novel. I also thought Regis reaction was silly. Yeah, Jar's presence was pretty clear to anyone who's read RAS. I take issue with calling this "darker." I don't see it as being dark so much as Drizzt being forced to deal with the consequences of his actions. I would like to see more of it from RAS. I haven't read a Drizzt novel since The Companions, mind.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 11 Mar 2015 : 13:07:37
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Regarding events toward the end of the book: SPOILER I really hope that RA Salvatore didn't think he was fooling anyone about Arthrogate and Jarlaxle's "big reveal." I thought that was clear as day from the very beginning.

I doubt he thought any of us would be fooled. It was meant to show that Jar can still fool those around him, in world, though. We've been reading about Jar's hijinks for years. But the pirate high captains of Luskan certainly have not.

It was kinda an inside joke or inside share with us readers, methinks. "I know something 'The Crow' doesn't know!"

Yeah that makes more sense. Jarlaxle did seem impressed with Kensidan toward the end and he seems like a character I'd love to see more of at some point.
BEAST Posted - 10 Mar 2015 : 18:29:41
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Regarding events toward the end of the book: SPOILER I really hope that RA Salvatore didn't think he was fooling anyone about Arthrogate and Jarlaxle's "big reveal." I thought that was clear as day from the very beginning.

I doubt he thought any of us would be fooled. It was meant to show that Jar can still fool those around him, in world, though. We've been reading about Jar's hijinks for years. But the pirate high captains of Luskan certainly have not.

It was kinda an inside joke or inside share with us readers, methinks. "I know something 'The Crow' doesn't know!"
Artemas Entreri Posted - 09 Mar 2015 : 19:12:31
Artemas Entreri Posted - 08 Mar 2015 : 03:39:04
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

In one of the Drizzt Diaries for the next book, The Ghost King, Drizzt remarks about how all this makes him feel. He has quite the self-realization.

Drizzt's little journal entries are hit or miss with me. Curious to see how I react to the one you are talking about here when I get to that book.
BEAST Posted - 08 Mar 2015 : 01:32:41
Methinks the common link between the individual books of the "Transitions" mini-series was the loss of control and assured success by the main hero, Drizzt. There are things that are bigger than our favorite drow ranger, and he can't win them all. This was also a bridge to the darker feel that 4E was going for.

In one of the Drizzt Diaries for the next book, The Ghost King, Drizzt remarks about how all this makes him feel. He has quite the self-realization.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000