Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood from Greenwood's Grotto

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
questing gm Posted - 05 Nov 2023 : 14:05:37
Since starting up his own Discord server (https://discord.onl/greenwoods-grotto/), Ed Greenwood has been answering Realms-related questions in the #q4ed channel. Although it's free to join the Discord and view his answers, but I believe it requires a subscription to Ed's Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/EdGreenwood) to be given access to ask him questions there.

So since his answers are free to view by anyone on his Discord and for the benefit of those who are not on Discord, I'm starting and updating my compilation of his answers in this scroll. I'll leave it to the wisdom of moderating scribes if anything should be changed or removed.

I won't be able to put down everything (I already have 300+ answered questions to put down), so consider updates here will be intermittent, and will take a while before it catches up to the latest questions answered. (Or just join the Discord if you want the latest )

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
questing gm Posted - 25 Aug 2024 : 10:12:26
On names of two streets in Suzail

Juniper Churlgo — 08/21/2024 1:55 AM

do these two streets in Suzail have names?

<https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1072136642162343986/1275513674152284243/Screenshot_2024-08-20_at_1.53.51_PM_2.png?ex=66cc18ed&is=66cac76d&hm=e8d058b21e6dd6e941b11506666c66750ffc389cb3b97e84ae9c98465a99ffe8&>

Ed Greenwood — 08/22/2024 12:55 AM

Sure. Minstrels' Ride is the curving one, and Dunstan's Way is the straight one.
questing gm Posted - 25 Aug 2024 : 10:09:51
On Strahd visited Cormyr

Joe Chang — 08/20/2024 1:22 PM

Hi @Ed Greenwood , in your 2016 short story "Travel Talk: Ravenloft" , Volo, on hearing the name of Strahd von Zarovich, had this reaction:
quote:
I would ordinarily have thanked the fellow and assured him I would be delighted to accept the invitation, but some confused memory of hearing bad things about the name “Strahd,” long ago in a tavern in Suzail, made me say, “Oh, that Strahd! I would love to, but fear I findc myself in an urgently pressing hurry to be elsewhere

Has D&D's most infamous vampire visited Cormyr?

Ed Greenwood — 08/21/2024 1:33 AM

He has indeed. Marsember, Suzail, Athkatla, and Baldur's Gate, among other places.
questing gm Posted - 21 Aug 2024 : 04:58:11
On Bane's schemes involving Sembia, the ruins of Myth Drannor, or the Dalelands

Relaxo — 08/16/2024 1:11 AM

Dear @Ed Greenwood,

First, I want to thank you on behalf of myself and my DM for the incredible setting of the Forgotten Realms.

I have a question regarding the influence of Bane, the god of tyranny, in Sembia, Myth Drannor, and the Dales. As I plan to create character an orc barbarian follower of Bane, I’m particularly interested in any potential plot hooks or story elements that connect to his agenda in these regions.

What schemes or activities might Bane's followers be involved in within Sembia, the ruins of Myth Drannor, or the surrounding Dalelands? Any insights or ideas you could share would greatly help me develop a rich backstory for my character.

Ed Greenwood — 08/19/2024 4:26 AM

You’re very welcome! Realms forever!

Followers of Bane will always be trying to support candidates for local “strongman” (tyrant) rulers, especially “puppets” the clergy of Bane control (through magic, blackmail, or training and physical/financial support). So they could be working to further such ends in all of the Dales and in Sembia. The reverses and failures of recent centuries have taught followers of the Lord of Darkness the folly of backing just one local tyrant; they will typically work to advance three separate individuals, so if one falls or fails, another can serve Bane from a local seat of power instead.

In the ruins of Myth Drannor, followers of Bane will be trying just to stay alive, what with all the alert, ready-for-war elves rebuilding, and supported by on-site baelnorn. These elves have no love for non-elves of any sort, and unless they can prove themselves as allies (such as Harpers bringing needed supplies or requested intel) they will be attacked and slain or driven out.
questing gm Posted - 21 Aug 2024 : 04:51:53
On infernal/cosmic laws to sell someone else’s soul without their knowledge/consent

Spellslamzer — 08/16/2024 2:43 AM

Hello @Ed Greenwood. I noticed in Waterdeep Dragon Heist, the Cassalanters are trying to buy back their children’s souls from Asmodeus. But I’m curious as to how they were able to sell their children’s souls. What infernal/cosmic laws allow a person to sell someone else’s soul without their knowledge/consent? And under what circumstances is one able to sell another’s soul? Also, is such a contract still valid if a signatory, such as a young child, is unable to comprehend the terms of the contract, and how are the Cassalanters able to send their “innocent” sacrificial victims to the Hells without them signing a contract? Does the same also go for infernal weapons that send their victims to the Hells, like a narzugon’s or a fire hellion’s?

Ed Greenwood — 08/19/2024 4:18 AM

One of the laws enacted by Asmodeus since becoming ruler of the Hells enables parents to sell the souls of their children, infants and the yet unborn, to “Princes of the Nine Hells” (in practise, to the ruler of one of the Nine Hells, or their immediate family such as consorts and children).

Anyone who has had “sex capable of producing offspring” (i.e. intercourse, with or without impregnation) with another being is no longer a child whose soul can be sold by parents (or slavers deemed guardians, such as an orphan enslaved by a ruler of the Nine Hells); such “mature” individuals can only sell their own souls. This applies to children too young to actually bear or father children, so long as they can perform the sexual act, willingly or otherwise.

Trickery in obtaining a signed contract (and it must be signed in the blood, tears, or spittle of the soul-seller; twisting a verbal promise is NOT obtaining a contract) usually makes the contract invalid; the intent of the soul-seller at the time of signing (not later, when regret is usual) is paramount.

“Sending” souls (beings) to the Hells through sacrifice isn’t a matter of contracts, but is a matter of infernal powers being enacted on the victims thanks to magical preparations (i.e. the ritual of sacrifice being performed on an infernal talisman or “dark consecrated”/profaned altar or spot, or the enchantment on the infernal weapon). In such cases, there’s no binding and no contract, just a plane shift that can go awry (i.e. to the wrong planar destination, or an unintended locale in the Hells), or be disrupted by the right magical pre-preparations on the sacrifice, or protective items borne by the sacrifice, or disrupting third-party magic.
questing gm Posted - 21 Aug 2024 : 04:45:39
On gemstones associated with adamantite deposits

Zonesylvania — 08/16/2024 1:23 AM

Dear Saer @Ed Greenwood ! What gemstones, and in what quantity can be found associated with adamantite deposits? thankee!

Ed Greenwood — 08/19/2024 4:03 AM

Adamantite veins seldom have abundant gemstone lodes found with them, but in (and under) the southernwest reaches of Faerûn, “fists” and even caverns of garnets and spinels have recently been found, whereas in the northeast, moonstone and carnelians have recently been found along the edges of adamantite veins.
questing gm Posted - 21 Aug 2024 : 03:32:20
On renowned 15th century adventuring chefs

Juniper Churlgo — 08/17/2024 12:32 PM

Hey Ed. are there any renowned 15th century adventuring chefs in the realms?

Ed Greenwood — 08/19/2024 3:59 AM

Yes. The half-elf Maerend Skeldragon is a puckish, pretty, slender and agile blond explorer and sometime caravan and valuable-cargo guard who has been a member of the defunct Valade’s Shields adventuring band (out of Morvar) and the still-operating, on-again-off-again Telmark’s Stalwarts adventuring band, based in Suldolphor. Maerend has explored the Tashalar, Luiren, Estagund, Durpar, Var the Golden, Thommar, Ulgarth and a little of Chondath and of the Yehimal highlands and ranges east of Ulgarth—and along the way, cooked using the edible and herb-seasoning plants, flowers, and wildlife of the lands he was traveling through. His favourite supper of those he’s concocted is roast hraztam (“Ulgarth gopher”), which he stuffed with shallots, dulthunn (broadleaf local spinach), roast chestnuts, and his own concoction of seasonings.
questing gm Posted - 16 Aug 2024 : 12:04:19
On Thaldigar's Tower

Ir'revrykal — 08/12/2024 9:28 PM

Hello! Hope you are doing well, Ed. What is the canon status of Thaldigar's Tower?

Ed Greenwood — 08/14/2024 6:50 AM

Alive and well. If I write something, it's canon. ;}
questing gm Posted - 16 Aug 2024 : 12:01:30
On cancelled novels

FatherFantastix — 08/12/2024 3:03 PM

Hi @Ed Greenwood, do you think there is any chance fans of the Realms could get a peek of the cancelled novels now that WOTC no longer publishes? Reclamation, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, Death Comes Easy, Rise of the Blade, Pride of the Lion, Neverwinter Nights, The Shores of Dusk, Murder at Ravens Bluff, perhaps you’d know who to ask or how to call a moot of the authors and publish an anthology? I feel like there could be kickstarter potential there!

Ed Greenwood — 08/14/2024 6:47 AM

Sorry, Hasbro owns the rights to all of those books, not the authors; when we write them, they're "work for hire." So we can't Kickstart them. Rise of the Blade was a fan novel, never a TSR or WotC book, Reclamation was never finished, Shores of Dusk was contractually torpedoed, Pride of the Lion was never written...sorry.
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 11:34:41
On the Minstrelwish clan

Joe Chang — 07/30/2024 3:01 PM

Patreon suggestion @Ed Greenwood : the most fascinating family could be the far-flung Minstrelwish clan. How did the Spellplague era affect them and what are they up to now?

Ed Greenwood — 08/12/2024 7:17 AM

Heh. Already on it! Expect a Minstrelwish video in the fullness of time. :}
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 10:58:32
On Ormpetarr in Sespech post Spellplague

cl0ro — 08/11/2024 9:40 PM

Hi @Ed Greenwood I've been interested in the lands far from the Sword Coast for a while now, particularly the Vilhon Reach and the city of Ormpetarr in Sespech. I was able to find very little about the current situation of the city after the Spellplague and I was curious to know if it is still inhabited or reduced to a pile of ruins.

How is it politically? What factions are there? Are there still any effects of the Spellplague? Is the Order of Blue Fire still present?

Ed Greenwood — 08/11/2024 10:00 PM

Ormpetarr is very much inhabited, with a population in late 1499 DR of over 48,000, mainly humans. It is a busy port and shipyards (specializing in cargo barges and small “river boats”), banking area, warehouse center for caravans, and a center for production of jams, jellies, pastes, and the turning of raw bolt textiles into garments.

A few ruins remain, blocks of rubble here and there in the city that are home to the poorest citizens, but most damage has been swept away long ago and new buildings erected. The Order of Blue Fire is still dominant in local politics as the balancing force that keeps rival powerful resident merchants (self-styled “barons”) from each other’s throats (they all sponsor gangs that clash often, and also have large forces of liveried employees conducting their business).

So Ormpetarr has no formal government, giving hired adventurers and mercenaries a lot of “keep order in the streets by the sword and threat” power, and no less than six residents who will all claim to be “THE Lord Baron of Ormpetarr.” Only three have enough power and influence that anyone beyond the ranks of those they directly pay would agree: Bantavvur Halath, a handsome and very wealthy textiles merchant who fancies himself a genius and irresistible lover who will “inevitably” rise to rule much of Toril; Mandor Marspur, a darkly handsome, sardonic and jaded swindler who deals in potions, poisons, wines, spirits, and perfumes, and heads a gang of sly and acrobatic local thieves, the Smiling Ones; and Thaela Thonturr, “the Bright Lady,” a charming and affable networker and rich investor who firmly believes a city is strong if many small business folk are profiting all at once, and tries to make them all business partners trading busily with each other.
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 10:54:20
On the hill east of the Dessarin River and Sumber Hills

Reedhalloran Duskfellow — 07/30/2024 8:12 AM

Dear Saer @Ed Greenwood, Does this hill east of the Dessarin River and Sumber Hills have a name and/or any lore associated with it? A new player has decided it is important to their character and I would love to integrate some original lore into their backstory if possible! Many thanks in advance.

<https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1072136642162343986/1267635824598581339/Screenshot_2024-07-29_at_5.09.53_PM.png?ex=66bd47dc&is=66bbf65c&hm=6a142632577e71024e3fbc6d37373eac5ae7802582c0ea5a474cddaa73cc1100&>

Ed Greenwood — 08/11/2024 9:37 PM

That "lone" hill has gone by many names over the years (the elves, dwarves, and just about everyone else has had a go at naming it, as "their own" landmark), but the most widely-known name now is Stag Head Tor. Old Sword Coast North legends say that a gigantic stag with HUGE antlers often stood atop it on bright moonlit nights, using it as a lookout to survey the lands around; inevitably, tales arose that the stag was a god, or “the Ghost Stag.” The hill has a rock core but sides of earth, and its very landmark status have made it attractive as a place to cache (bury) valuables, so there are also (many) treasure tales, including at least one “intelligent sword lies hidden here, awaiting the return of the one who buried it,” and may be able to emit a ghostly “spy,” adding to tales of the hill being haunted
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 10:20:55
On backstreet access to both the Font of Knowledge and the Hall of Justice

Doc Webb — 07/22/2024 11:26 PM

@Ed Greenwood Happy belated, sir! A quick Waterdhavian street name question, if I may: does this lane/alley have a name? It looks like it provides backstreet access to both the Font of Knowledge and the Hall of Justice, so we've nicknamed it "Truth's Cut", but I'd love to know if it has an actual name. It intersects with Bazaar Street at the same corner as Aka Way and has its western terminus on Swords Street cattycorner to Blackstaff Tower. I initially thought it was just the westward continuation of Bazaar Street, but I've since learned that Bazaar Street apparently wraps north at the west end of the Market until it ends at its intersection with Trader's Way. Any insight would be much appreciated, as our clerically-inclined party uses it fairly often while in the Deep. Thanks so much!

Edit: I just learned that Steven Schend has said that the Oghmanytes are petitioning the city to dub it "the Lore Walk"

<https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1072136642162343986/1264966798303039508/Screenshot_2024-07-22_at_10.52.55_AM.png?ex=66bccca2&is=66bb7b22&hm=537ab6a138f3ec8544f52f664fcafac964c6b77a8c5e8d7cd6be38a56fa0833f&>

Ed Greenwood — 08/11/2024 9:22 PM

Bazaar Street does indeed curve north at the west end of the Market, and the “mystery street” left unlabeled in the published maps is: Veltarn Street. However, to Waterdhavians old and young, it’s better known as “Just Wisdom Lane.”
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 10:14:14
On undead rust monsters

Melody — 08/10/2024 4:40 AM

@Ed Greenwood Are there such a thing as undead rust monsters? If so, do they differ significantly from their living counterparts?

Ed Greenwood — 08/10/2024 8:22 AM

Heh. There are indeed, and they were put into the game by Len Lakofka or Jim Ward YEARS ago. They become rotten, and over time innards mummify and wear or fall off, then hide, so they end up skeletal in a very "slow-motion" process. Their rusting abilities fade over time, and in A FEW cases change into other abilities (new attacks). I had some of them in Undermountain, but so much of my UM lore never made it into print (they were on lower levels).
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 10:06:53
On Eilistraee's focus post Second Sundering

Ninjanurse29 — 08/09/2024 7:25 AM

@Ed Greenwood prior to the Second Sundering, Eilistraee seemed most focused on female drow and limited male power and influence in her faith. However, post Second Sundering Eilistraee has gone all out gender and racial equality, and seemingly broadening her focus on non-drow races. Is there a reason for this? Has Eilistraee realized something that she didn't know before the Second Sundering?

Ed Greenwood — 08/10/2024 8:17 AM

Yes. Eilistraee has realized that the future safety and survival of the drow, at least on the surface, depends on their acceptance by other races, and daily working with other races (and this is also the only way, over time, to dilute the influence and power of Lolth over the drow). And through Qilué, Eilistraee was able to "see" and mind-read some "just plain folks" outside of Mystra and Azuth's influence (that is, outside of the Chosen), and see that attitudes could be changed, and that deep down halflings and humans and others felt and experienced and thought in the same ways that elves did, so drow were not as "apart" as Lolth always tried to make them. And when she found that mortals of other races were worshipping her, she felt a loving duty to "be there" for them, and that meant reaching out beyond drow. So she has. Much to Lolth's fury.
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 10:02:23
On ratio of common people

mournblade94 — 08/09/2024 4:19 AM

@ed Greenwood I'm wondering about the common people of the realms. Is there a ratio of common people with no class levels and no gift.

I tend to think adventurers are rare compared to the population at large.

Many thanks!

Ed Greenwood — 08/10/2024 8:09 AM

You're right. Adventurers as a profession are a small fraction of skilled folk who know they have a Gift and somehow develop it, and they in turn are a small fraction of those who have the Gift. Mystra has been working hard, using humanity mainly as the other races have their own deities she works with, down the generations so that the Gift (innate talent to work arcane magic) spreads, but those who have it are still a tiny part of the overall population, and many don't know they have a Gift. Some fear trying to do anything with it, many have a "wild talent" (they can do just one thing, and stick to it, and it may be minor or passive like knowing direction or time until sunrise or sunset, or sensing magic or poison...or they don't develop their talent at all until moments of great danger, grief, or anger when it explodes out of them, surprising them). I've answered this several times down the years, and during that time, the Realms has seen some major magical outbursts and events, but I'd still say we're looking at 6 percent of the pop at most that have a Gift, only 4 percent who have any inkling they have it, about 1 percent who do anything at all to use it or develop it, and less than half of that 1 percent "train up" or dare to go adventuring. (Unless you consider marching to war or working on a merchant caravan as adventuring.)
questing gm Posted - 14 Aug 2024 : 08:47:20
On paying a battlemage bodyguard

Savn — 08/03/2024 8:57 AM

@Ed Greenwood How much might a competant, and more importantly trusted battlemage bodyguard to a wealthy merchant, or noble be paid? Would it be in the form of coin, gifts, living expences, or a combination of all three? How well would someone like that live?

Ed Greenwood — 08/10/2024 7:47 AM

That varies widely with every employer and employee. Sane employers pay their bodyguards so well that they'll never be tempted to doublecross them/accept bribes to turn on them or leave them undefended "just for a juicy moment." How well they'll live depends on the wealth of the merchant, AND how much they want to "show off" that particular bodyguard. Living expenses/board/room are always covered, including a spending allowance (a "per diem" to us), but salaries and gifts vary. Cormyrean "house wizards" are paid staff, for instance, whereas a battlemage bodyguard in Westgate or Athkatla will be a highly paid "personal service" employee.
questing gm Posted - 25 Jul 2024 : 03:06:08
On spell ink formulae

Zonesylvania — 07/23/2024 2:48 AM

Dear Saer @Ed Greenwood ! I have a couple questions about spell ink formulae. I assume like spells, each spell would have several ways to derive a necessary form of ink for scroll and spellbook writing, as mentioned in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. 1) Is it possible for a caster to tell, or reverse engineer, the components that went into making the spell ink on examination? 2) do spell ink formulae come with the spell written in the spellbook, or just the arcane script? 3) What would the typical cost be for a spell ink formula, or a compilation of the same? Also, are there any generic ink formulae that are used as opposed to specific, similar to Everdark used by Drow wizards for their scribing? Thankee!

Ed Greenwood — 07/23/2024 8:18 AM

Hoo boy. Okay, here we go: 1. SOME casters can tell MOST components, like a cook tasting subtle herbs in sampled food, but not reverse engineer specific correct amounts and proportions. That will require experimentation, likely extensive. 2. Just the arcane script, not the spell ink formulae, unless it's a wizard's "workbook" (spell experimentation record). That's deliberate; it's a way of safeguarding against someone churning out endless scrolls from a stolen spellbook, to make coin and harm the livelihoods of all spellcasters. 3. There's no "typical," as some use common herbs and flowers and their distillates, and others use ichor from rare and dangerous monsters, or other hard-to-get ingredients, but a spell ink will usually cost a bare minimum of 75 gp/vial, and more often 350 gp or so, though some soar to 2,000 gp or more. Yes, there are a few "generic" spell ink formulae; selling these (sample vials, NOT the formulas and processes) are a major income stream for temples of Mystra.
questing gm Posted - 24 Jul 2024 : 03:14:30
On the (rough) monthly salaries for Purple Dragons, Highknights, and War Wizards

BlissfulSavant — 07/17/2024 3:54 AM

Hello Ed. And Brian, I reckon.

In 1490s DR, what are the (rough) monthly salaries for Purple Dragons (same as Marsember Watchmen?), Highknights, and War Wizards? Ooooh, and for the various clerks?

I have been using this per month:

Blades: 15 gp (PHB says 5sp a day for skiller workers, iirc)
Telsword: 25 gp
Firstsword: 40 gp
Swordcaptain: 80 gp
Lionar: 150 gp
Ornrion: 300 gp
Constal: 1000 gp
Oversword / Battlemaster: 3000
Lord High Marshal: 5000 (is this absurd?)

Ed Greenwood — 07/19/2024 11:49 PM

My notes are from 1357 DR, but Cormyr has always had monetary control to guard against runaway inflation due to Sembian spending next door, so wages don’t rise quickly.

Blades: 16 gp
Telsword: 21 gp
Firstsword: 28 gp
Swordcaptain: 36 gp
Lionar: 45 gp
Ornrion: 60 gp
Constal: 75 gp
Oversword / Battlemaster: 150
Lord High Marshal: 300
Highknight: 25 gp*
Wizard of War, base rank: 25 gp (5 gp increments for special ranks.postings/missions)*

* = have accessary to discretionary budgets for operations, so can keep a lot more personal salary
questing gm Posted - 24 Jul 2024 : 01:24:37
On the connection between Planescape and the Forgotten Realms

Gahbreeil — 07/19/2024 9:59 PM

@Ed Greenwood I need something the sort of a simple yes or no confirmation on a few points and whether I have understood the connection between Planescape and the Forgotten Realms. Regardless of the Great Wheel Cosmology, the universe is as follows:

1. The Phlogiston and all Crystal Spheres are the Prime Material Plane, physical reality.

2. The Prime Material Plane is connected to the Inner and Outer Planes, the Cosmology, through the Ethereal Plane and the Astral Sea.

3. The Ethereal is self-evident, it is reality past the physical reality.

4. The Inner Planes are the Elemental Planes as well as the Feywild and Shadowfell, the Inner Planes constitute physical reality, as in, all Crystal Spheres are connected to the, in example, plane of Fire in order for fire to exist at all.

5. The Outer Planes are Material Planes that are not of the Phlogiston, are bound by the Astral Sea, the Inner Planes are bound by the Ethereal Plane.

6. Spelljamming is not planar travel, it is travel between the Crystal Spheres.

7. A Crystal Sphere is a single solar system.

8. The Material Planes bound by the Astral Sea are similar to the Prime Material Plane as the Inner Planes surround said Secondary Material Planes. Baator, in example, is obviously connected to the Elemental Planes as of Cania, ice, or Avernus, fire, but it is also connected to the Inner Planes as of Magic, the Weave, which allows access to said energies only because the Inner Planes are connected to all Material Planes.

9. Magic, the Weave, is Ethereal as it is a way to tap into the elemental chaos of the Inner Planes as well as the Positive and Negative Energies. / I beg you not to give me the answer that it is up to the Dungeon Master.

EDIT: Also, an afterthought, Sigil is an actual sigil, a symbol, that unifies existence. If it wasn't Ao whom created it, who did? Was it the chronologically first being of the Dungeons & Dragons universe? Why are the Astral and Ethereal the only Planes that do not touch?

Ed Greenwood — 07/19/2024 11:42 PM

Okay, here we go:

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

4. Yes and no: yes, everything you state is correct EXCEPT “in order for fire to exist at all.” The Elemental Plane of Fire (and the other three elemental planes; the “para-elemental planes” are simply the segue border areas between the four elemental planes) exist in and of themselves; they feed the other planes of physical reality, not the other way around, so they will exist even without connections to Realmspace or any other crystal sphere.

5. Yes.
6. Yes.

7. Yes, almost always, but not always. Some are “sargassoes” of cosmic debris, like endless asteroids (not in a rotating belt, not necessarily with suns). Others have multiple suns, each with their own system.

8. Yes.

9. We don’t know that “the Weave is Ethereal.” We DO know that the Weave permeates the Ethereal Plane, and reaches through it to connected planes beyond.

Afterthought: No, existence was unified long before Sigil the city was built. Sigil the city was built on a central node of many gates/portals, and was built to guard access (the gates/portals are opened and closed by doors, the means of portal passage that give the city its nickname “City of Doors,” though they may not take the form of an actual door in particular cases.

We don’t know who created it, but it was around before Ao (and remember, Ao reports to a higher entity). We don’t know if the creator was a single being, let alone how old any beings involved were, or if any of them were “first.”

The Astral and Ethereal don’t touch directly because if they do, they will destroy each other: they are miscible, and will draw each other into the mix formed by both of them, which will retain the properties of neither. Destroying many creatures, and removing them as means of travel, and causing crystal spheres to collide, shatter, and coalesce. That wouldn’t be fun to live through; imagine all the seas of a planet pouring onto the surface of another planet.
questing gm Posted - 24 Jul 2024 : 01:03:08
On the term "the Weave"

cuddlypooface — 07/18/2024 6:11 AM

Hey Master Sage @Ed Greenwood ! I was wondering what the inspiration was behind the term 'the weave' as the source of most magic for casters? Was it purposefully poetic and / or linked to the origins of magic somehow?

Ed Greenwood — 07/18/2024 8:17 AM

The term "the Weave" comes from Julia Martin, whom I believe drew it from both pagan beliefs and the Norse "the Norns weave all of our fates" tradition. She was naming the "webwork of magic" I already had in the Realms.
questing gm Posted - 11 Jul 2024 : 12:53:41
On half-elven Princess Sissra

Joe Chang — 07/06/2024 8:15 AM

Hi @Ed Greenwood and @Brian Cortijo in Volo's Guide, page 41 we are told of the half-elven Princess Sissra, who died in Marsember and whose funeral pyre was floated out to the Starwater. Was Sissra related to the elven royalty of the region (Coronal Eltargrim? Iliphar Nelnueve?) Or was she from somewhere else entirely?

Brian Cortijo — 07/07/2024 2:44 AM

I cannot answer for Ed here, but I will say that local Cormyrean folk and family lore is replete with "half-elven princesses" who are of dubious elven heritage, royalty, or even existence.

Ed Greenwood — 07/09/2024 11:14 AM

Sissra (proper name Systratallaera Ranchantra) was a half-elf adventurer who was a member of Skolkoot’s Blades, a band of adventurers who slaughtered not one, not two, but three lords of Chessenta: self-styled Dukes of that region, whose small duchies collapsed when they were slain. They were coastal duchies, very wealthy, and the Blades stole the last Duke’s luxurious ship after loading it with his riches. They made it to Marsember after several bitter sea battles with opportunistic pirates, and settled down to enjoy their wealth, soon being murdered themselves.

Save for “Sissra,” who got the smallest share of the loot, but parlayed it into a huge fortune over six decades by buying key warehouses and patiently and carefully renting out space in them to others. She was generous, not just fair, and her clients came to love her, not just trust her—so when she died, they gave her a “proper” sendoff, justifying it, and the existence of her considerable fortune (which they swiftly plundered), by claiming she was a “princess” from somewhere afar.

Systratallaera Ranchantra had a moon elf mother who was an escaped Thayan slave, and a Chondathan human father who was a sailor who got that desperate elf away from Thay. No known relation to any of the elves of the Elven Court.

[As you can see, Brian hath the right of it.]
questing gm Posted - 11 Jul 2024 : 12:51:18
On Ao's response to Lolth conspiring with Vecna to remake the Multiverse

Ninjanurse29 — 07/07/2024 11:21 AM

@Ed Greenwood I have a hypothetical question for you... How might Ao respond to Lolth conspiring with Vecna, during Vecna's failed attempt to remake the Multiverse?

Ed Greenwood — 07/09/2024 10:57 AM

Lolth is already on Ao’s “warning list” for past deeds, and he would likely strip her of some powers for a time, by limiting her reach within Toril. Believe not much lore regarding how mighty Lolth is; a lot of it is propaganda.
questing gm Posted - 11 Jul 2024 : 12:49:15
On distinctive elvish styles of beer and ale

Zonesylvania — 07/08/2024 2:14 AM

Dear Saer @Ed Greenwood ! Do any elves brew their own distinctive elvish styles of beer and ale, or do they just stick to human made brews if they have a taste for them?

Ed Greenwood — 07/08/2024 3:05 AM

It’s very rare for elves to brew beer of any sort; they tend to prefer wine or fortified wines (liquors). However, yes, given the right roots, leaves, berries, and “weeds” like mint, they will brew in small family or purely local quantities, NEVER shipped elsewhere for sale.
questing gm Posted - 11 Jul 2024 : 12:46:08
On the Netherese spell library made of a single sapphire in Cloak of Shadows

Zonesylvania — 07/05/2024 8:24 AM

Dear Saer @Ed Greenwood ! is there any information you can give us about the Netherese spell library made of a single sapphire used by the head of the Malaugrym in Cloak of Shadows? was it inspired by a kiira, and did it have any other powers of note?

Ed Greenwood — 07/08/2024 2:40 AM

Yes, it was (in-game), and it has five other powers I know of:

• It will teleport without error itself and any bearer to a pre-set (by a bearer) location when certain conditions are met (usually bearer rendered unconscious or reduced to 2 hp or less).

• It reflects back area-effect spells cast at it, or spells that would damage it or change its state, entirely back at the source unless its bearer wills this power not to function, or to instead send the reflected magic at another target.

• It can feather fall if dropping, and affect a bearer with this power, unless the bearer wills this power not to operate.

• It can glow with a faerie fire (intensity and hue up to the bearer, but it can’t be bright enough to be blinding, or to equal sunlight) radiance if a bearer wills it to, and stop glowing when the bearer wills it to.

• If a bearer who has the Gift (ability to wield arcane magic) sleeps in direct (skin to sapphire) contact with the stone, and before falling asleep concentrates on one spell that’s contained in the stone’s library for at least 4 hours of continuous slumber, that bearer will gain one instance of that spell in their mind (i.e. “memorizing” it passively when asleep). A bearer can only use an 8-hour long rest or period of sleep to gain two “copies” of the same chosen spell if they possess the Weavemastery ability.

questing gm Posted - 30 Jun 2024 : 03:29:33
On Annulus existing in Abeir-Toril

Gahbreeil — 06/26/2024 3:23 AM

@Ed Greenwood Does the Annulus exist within Abeir-Toril or did it? For your convenience - https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Annulus

Ed Greenwood — 06/28/2024 10:44 AM

No, that’s homebrew.

Gahbreeil — 06/28/2024 11:41 AM

Interesting, I have the very same artefact written down in the Psionics Handbook 3e! Does that mean it is not Greyhawk canon either?

Ed Greenwood — 06/28/2024 11:47 AM

It's Greyhawk canon, but the properties are different and more extensive (tied to Oerth lore). (The one at the link you cited is a homebrew version.)
questing gm Posted - 30 Jun 2024 : 03:26:56
On Ed's favorite outside sources

The Donut Wizard of Shadowdale — 06/26/2024 5:41 AM

@Ed Greenwood Hello! I know you created the setting, but I was thinking, it's a lot for one person to keep track of, so I was wondering how often you look at sources outside of your memory, for example Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast or the Forgotten Realms wiki, and I'm curious which source you use most and if you have a favorite one

Ed Greenwood — 06/28/2024 10:43 AM

I consult the FR Wiki whenever I’m asked about something and draw a blank re. the name(s) I’m being asked about. Usually that’s because the questioner is misspelling the name, but sometimes it’s a detail from a computer game I’ve never played or a novel or short story by someone other than me that I’ve forgotten the details of, or the questioner has misinterpreted what’s written there and so puzzling me with their question (like the question that began: “So, in Novel X when all the phaerimm get destroyed…” which baffled me, as all the phaerimm have never been destroyed).

When expanding on Realmslore, I always try to re-read the published sources, even if (like Volo’s Guide to the Sword Coast) I wrote it, because I need to refresh myself on the precise wording an editor may have ended up with—again because phrasing can hint or leave impressions as opposed to spelling out something precisely and clearly.

My favourite sources are the ones I need right now. My second favourites are the ones that are well indexed.
questing gm Posted - 30 Jun 2024 : 02:48:44
On when elves mentally mature equal to that of a human adult

Ninjanurse29 — 06/28/2024 7:44 AM

@Ed Greenwood at what age are elves considered mentally equal to that of a 21 year old human adult?

Ed Greenwood — 06/28/2024 10:34 AM

That depends on who’s doing the considering.

Haughty gold elves will tell you their children are the mental superiors of humans while still in the womb, and the social superiors of humans at about age six.

Conversely, some humans believe elves never “grow up,” and so are never mentally equal to any human.

MOST elves and most human sages, if they’re being calmly honest, will say that for the first two decades of life, elves and humans develop at almost the same rate if untutored or “learning via life experiences while helping stay-at-home labouring parents, so a 17-year-old elf will be about the same mentally as a 21-year-old human. Thereafter, speed of development depends on experiences; the more of the world an individual sees, and the more different mental experiences (maths, crafting, instruction, experimentation, practise with their Gift, etc.), the faster they develop. MOST elves tend to develop at about double the mental capacity and reach, but not necessarily “maturity” if that’s measured by abandoning public play and frivolity in terms of shouldering responsibility, of humans during their third and fourth decades of life.

Wartime and lots of travel and intense specialized tutoring (e.g. from sages, clergy, or mages training apprentices) will speed up the mental development of most humans or elves.

The average elf will have no precise opinion regarding the age at which elves are equal to 21-year-old humans, but a general belief that humans are mentally lesser than elves at any age, particularly in understanding of the world (as opposed to creativity/“cleverness”).

The average human will think that elves and humans are equal in mental abilities until elves are old; that elves are smarter because they live for centuries and so get taught more.
questing gm Posted - 20 Jun 2024 : 07:17:50
On the life of Lady Saharel

Zonesylvania — 06/14/2024 9:41 AM

Dear Saer @Ed Greenwood! Would it be possible to spin us a tale of the life of Lady Saharel and how she came to meet Elminster?

Ed Greenwood — 06/18/2024 2:15 AM

Of course. It may be near the end of this year before that video rolls around, though. Plenty in the queue.
questing gm Posted - 20 Jun 2024 : 07:15:17
On connection between Ravengards of Baldur's Gate and the Ravengard House of Ravens Bluff

Juniper Churlgo — 06/12/2024 10:56 AM

is there any connection between Ravengards of Baldur's Gate and the Ravengard House of Ravens Bluff?

Ed Greenwood — 06/18/2024 2:14 AM

Yes. Details to come in a future video.
questing gm Posted - 20 Jun 2024 : 07:11:29
On names of openings in the Sea walls of Waterdeep harbor

Reedhalloran Duskfellow — 06/15/2024 9:34 AM

@Ed Greenwood, good Saer and lore master, perhaps you or @Eric L. Boyd could tell me: do the openings in the Sea walls of Waterdeep harbor have names? I'm thinking of the ones by inner fort, outer fort, the naval harbor to sea and naval harbor to deep water harbor. If they don't have formal names, how do local sailors refer to them when navigating the harbors?

Ed Greenwood — 06/18/2024 2:13 AM

They all have names, and I thought those had all been published. I'll check and get back to you (I have to check because I theeeenk TSR changed the name of one of the Cuts).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000