Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Making up Pirate Terms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 06 Oct 2023 : 14:24:33
Don't know why my mind went here, but I keep thinking about this and thought it would be a fun idea to play that nearly anyone who has watched any goofy pirate thing can quickly comprehend and play along.

The goal, come up with some fairly nonsensical terms (or somewhat nonsensical or even real that sounds nonsensical) that pirates of the forgotten realms may use to give talking in "pirate speak" that authentic "feel". I'll throw out some examples that just came to mind

Flibberjabbing - ... a person who doesn't listen to orders ... because no captain would tell them to jab the flibber

Jabberwhacker - an idiot ... someone who doesn't realize you jab the jabber and whack the flibber

Jabberjabbing - understanding what I'm saying and doing what I'm and doing what I'm wanting

Flibberwhacker - a competent worker

Flibberjabbing Jabberwhacker - a clueless crewmember who doesn't listen to orders and is likely to be tossed overboard

lubberlubing - speaking to a non-sailor politely and with flowery speech, primarily in order to gain terms that benefit the pirates without conflict

Hoisting the Red Flag - full stop, weigh anchor, don't proceed further with whatever plan is happening

Hoisting the Green Flag - full speed ahead, throw caution to the wind

Hoisting the Yellow Flag - proceed forward, but cautiously and slowly

Tying a false knot - creating a lie that others will perceive as truthful because of its complexity

Bury the Chest - Create an agreement that all will honor and keep secret from others at all cost

Suckling Umberlee's Teat - Praying desperately for a miracle

As Rampant as Valkur Chasing a Mermaid - being overly eager and quick to trust foolishly

Facing Talos' Starry Eye - Facing an unknown and dangerous enemy

Get the idea? If you feel like playing along, let your imagination be your friend.

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Giant Snake Posted - 11 Nov 2023 : 17:49:12
The first episode stands out in my mind. It’s a perfect setup. Also quickly establishes that allies and enemies are not always what they seem, and also how important it is to have a clever solution instead of the blunt one.

Anyhow that’s basically the way I picture pirates and sea goers in a fantasy setting. Really a lot of potential.
sleyvas Posted - 11 Nov 2023 : 15:14:16
quote:
Originally posted by Giant Snake

How much I would wish for someone to do a nautical/pirate campaign. Does anyone remember the 90’s cartoon Pirates of the Dark Water? Maybe it’s rose glasses looking back on childhood, but I think it was legitimately good. Someone had a lot of good ideas in their head when they came up with the setting and characters. It’s a perfect setup for a campaign too: you have to escape on a ship…so your party steals a pirate ship.

I remember that show... but at the time I didn't watch much of it because of other priorities (I was fresh out of high school I believe). I did at the time think "I really should catch this up". That being said, I'm hesitant to go back and watch it... because I've gone back and watched some things like Thundarr the Barbarian and the original wonder woman tv show... and realized just how bad some things were. But I remember thinking it was out around the same time that spelljammer was in the offing I think.
Giant Snake Posted - 09 Nov 2023 : 16:45:30
How much I would wish for someone to do a nautical/pirate campaign. Does anyone remember the 90’s cartoon Pirates of the Dark Water? Maybe it’s rose glasses looking back on childhood, but I think it was legitimately good. Someone had a lot of good ideas in their head when they came up with the setting and characters. It’s a perfect setup for a campaign too: you have to escape on a ship…so your party steals a pirate ship.
sleyvas Posted - 07 Nov 2023 : 17:55:58
I heard some of those Flibberjabbing Fools were tickling the tentacles rather than tithing to them. They learned the hard way when some beaky biting beasty hauled one of them into its maw.
Ayrik Posted - 03 Nov 2023 : 19:05:09
As one who's been chased by pirates all over the Sword Coast, I can confirm that many desperate times saw many desperate men on the ship constantly suckling at Umberlee's cold and cruel teats.

Even the whips of your orcish overseers can hardly get a decent day's work out of that superstitious lot. Those barnacles need to be scrubbed off the topmast! Get those tangled zombies out of the rigging! Feed the tentacles on time if you don't want to be the next meal! So many things to do but all those rum-breathing pirates ever do is suckle to their little gods.
Giant Snake Posted - 03 Nov 2023 : 01:47:49
From now until the day I die, all my sailors and pirates and such will talk like The Lighthouse

Yer made up terms fit in nicely :DDDD
sleyvas Posted - 11 Oct 2023 : 14:25:05
good find Zero, thanks.
Zeromaru X Posted - 07 Oct 2023 : 06:39:40
Tavern Profile: The Beached Leviathan (Dungeon 193) is about an old pirate ship that got beached in Neverwinter and was converted into a tavern by its captain. The article includes a lexicon of pirate terms that were adapted for use in the tavern. Maybe you can use them as inspiration.

Beached Leviathan Slang:
The crew (staff members and regular clients) of the Beached Leviathan shares a language all their own, which was built around nautical terms.

Albatross: Someone bringing bad luck to the tavern.
Ballast: A drunkard.
Batten the Hatches: Shut your mouth.
Bowsprit: A sword, especially a large one.
Capstan: A cask of ale or wine.
Deadlights: Eyes, especially those of a drunk person.
Doldrums: Boredom.
Drink the Coin: Become a member of the crew.
Feeding the Fishes: Referring to a crew member not currently in the tavern.
Flash Packet: A weakling.
Furole: Magic.
Heavy Packet: A strong person.
Heel: To fall over.
Kiss the Lady: Be kind to Andrella (the oldest of the barmaids).
Lash Up: Finish drinking.
Place the Black Spot: Agree to dislike someone.
Press-Gang: A rowdy group of patrons.
Privateer: A newcomer to the tavern.
Scrimshaw: Writings or etchings.
Scupper: One’s mouth.
Short-Handed: Lacking a barmaid to take orders.
Slipped His or Her Rope: Referring to a patron who has passed out or is otherwise incapacitated.
Wag: A patron of the tavern who is not a crew member.
sleyvas Posted - 07 Oct 2023 : 02:39:13
Whatever tbeholder. You want to rag on it, its fine. You want to play along, that's fine too. Sometimes its just about goofing around.
TBeholder Posted - 07 Oct 2023 : 02:24:36
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Don't know why my mind went here, but I keep thinking about this and thought it would be a fun idea to play that nearly anyone who has watched any goofy pirate thing can quickly comprehend and play along.

The obvious problem here is that "any goofy pirate thing" is indistinguishable from "lowest common denominator". In that if you start at that level, it usually requires too much of an effort to salvage into anything better, so it just keeps sloshing around in these bilges.
quote:
The goal, come up with some fairly nonsensical terms (or somewhat nonsensical or even real that sounds nonsensical) that pirates of the forgotten realms may use to give talking in "pirate speak" that authentic "feel".

In itself, it's a classic decoration. Quoth Mr. Welch -
1784. Some grizzfarb says I have to stop making up gnomish profanities.

quote:
I'll throw out some examples that just came to mind
Flibberjabbing - ... a person who doesn't listen to orders ... because no captain would tell them to jab the flibber
Jabberwhacker - an idiot ... someone who doesn't realize you jab the jabber and whack the flibber
Jabberjabbing - understanding what I'm saying and doing what I'm and doing what I'm wanting
Flibberwhacker - a competent worker
Flibberjabbing Jabberwhacker - a clueless crewmember who doesn't listen to orders and is likely to be tossed overboard
lubberlubing - speaking to a non-sailor politely and with flowery speech, primarily in order to gain terms that benefit the pirates without conflict

TBH, this looks like a typical output of neural net mixer that was given a sample too small for the task by 2 orders of magnitude or so.
Which may be inevitable, given the kind of dictionary "any goofy pirate thing" would have. Hence my point about doomed nature of starting with import from the content so dumbed down it's covered in drool.
quote:
Hoisting the Red Flag - full stop, weigh anchor, don't proceed further with whatever plan is happening

And this is the point where those knowing about pirate age even a slightest bit more than "any goofy pirate thing" is likely to exercise facepalm reflex.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000