Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 When did you start reading Forgotten Realms books?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erikor Posted - 06 Apr 2023 : 00:12:52
I played Baldur's Gate and Shadows of Amn, and suddenly found "Elminster In Hell" for sale online. This was awesome, a book about a cool and mysterious character in games that I loved so I bought it. After that I bought a couple more Elminster books (I knew very little of the lore at the time but I still wanted to read about it), but then I couldn't find more books that could be delivered to Norway so after a while I forgot about the books. Until one day a co-worker told me about the Drizzt-books. This was many years later and now I could order from Amazon or bookstores from around the world. I bought the first Drizzt trilogy and after that I've read as much as I can.

I love that after years of reading I still have several books left.

23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Caolin Posted - 30 Dec 2023 : 07:03:23
Gord Posted - 07 Dec 2023 : 14:09:55
I started with Darkwalker on Moonshae in 1989.If I knew they existed before that, I would have sought them out for sure. Basically 1989 was when I discovered what FR really was. I had Under Illefarn when it was released, but didn't know what FR was because I never read any Dragon magazines up to that point.

But anyway, I read all FR novels that were out then and kept up with them through the early-mid 90's

I truly love many of the early trilogies and other novels. I am going to have to do some rereads i think so I can give proper rankings.
Seravin Posted - 09 Nov 2023 : 22:25:15
So hard but my top 5, in no order:
Azure Bonds
Wyvern's Spur
Ring of Winter
Elfsong
The Simbul's Gift

For a Drizzt/Salvatore book, I actually like The Crystal Shard and Servant of the Shard, neither of which is one where Drizzt is the main character (servant doesn't even feature him)

Trumm Posted - 09 Nov 2023 : 20:59:09
I started with Drizzt (Homeland) as well, somewhere around 1998.
I was a huge fan back then, but as I grew older I lost interest in the characters as well as Salvatore's style of writing in general.

The Halls of Stormweather remains my all time favourite Forgotten Realms novel.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Nov 2023 : 01:57:18
quote:
Originally posted by Giant Snake

I’m the only other one who started with Drizzt? I don’t know why but the character appealed to me in every way right from the start. I don’t know why people don’t seem to like Thousand Orcs. First of all, the art on it was better than most and it featured the hero really well. Second, the intro set up what was going on quite well. This was right when the LotR movies came out so it was the perfect place to start.

I didn't like it because Drizzt has more reason than just about anyone in the Realms to know that just because someone was in a certain death situation, it doesn't mean they can't come back hale and hearty -- it's happened multiple times in his past. And yet, despite that, he assumes that an empty helm in a collapsed tower means that all of his friends are dead and that he'll never see them again. So the whole story starts off with an assumption that shouldn't have been made, especially given that Drizzt did not have any other proof that his friends were still in the tower when it fell.

And this was after reading like 30 other books about the same character. At some point, it's difficult to not get bored with endless variations on the same theme.
Giant Snake Posted - 01 Nov 2023 : 16:40:52
I’m the only other one who started with Drizzt? I don’t know why but the character appealed to me in every way right from the start. I don’t know why people don’t seem to like Thousand Orcs. First of all, the art on it was better than most and it featured the hero really well. Second, the intro set up what was going on quite well. This was right when the LotR movies came out so it was the perfect place to start.
Thelonius Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 11:00:26
My introduction to the Realms was, in fact, the Baldur's Gate game. After that I went to the nearest bookshop and got the three Time of Troubles books. After that I went through the Elfsong and the Azure Bonds sagas.
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Oct 2023 : 22:19:41
Darkwalker...late 80s; but can't remember if it was 87, 88 or 89?

Delwa Posted - 25 Oct 2023 : 18:58:37
I played the original Baldur's Gate games, then stumbled acroos the 3E Campaign Setting in my FLGS. Picked it up. Read it. The store's assistant manager suggested that I try the Year of Rogue Dragons series. I did. Loved it. Went to the Boarders in the mall and they pawned the entire Legend of Drizzt off on me. Enjoyed the first two series, got bored, found other novels. Elaine Cunningham and Paul Kemp have remained my favorites.
Caolin Posted - 17 Oct 2023 : 08:05:39
Darkwalker on Moonshae in 1987.
bloodtide_the_red Posted - 28 Jun 2023 : 04:59:42
By the Stones.....I was there in the Time Before Time. Reading Dragonlance novels in the late 80's. And all the comics had TSR adds of "on the 3.725 day we rested" with a vague "coming soon from TSR"(and some of these adds were upside down because...the 80's). Then next month we got a tiny picture of Darkwalker on Moonshae 's cover. Then next month bigger, until we got the full page "terror in the isles" ad.

And Darkwalker on Moonshae was "from the publishers of Dragonlance" and had a "Forgotten Realms logo" on the cover....except the "Forgotten Realms" (AKA the Old Gray Box for 1E) had not come out yet.
Varl Posted - 28 Jun 2023 : 01:51:02
Earlier this year. I started with the Harper series and I'm almost done. I only have Thornhold left, and I'm only halfway through it and I'm all in. I have to say Bronwyn has her hands full, particularly after what happened to the paladins of Thornhold. Brutal! Let's just say the faith of Cyric has totally piqued this DM's attention now. When gamers say the monsters aren't the real monsters in D&D, I have a clearer understanding who is.
BileDemon Posted - 04 Jun 2023 : 23:52:03
Around 30 years ago the first Drizzt novels were given to me, borrowed from a library, the german version.
It was not until 2021 when I discovered there were even more novels, now thankfully as ebooks and in english, so I started reading again, with the Twilight Giants series. Don´t know why, but one day I was looking up the term Ettin(probably because I played the Al-Quadim game back then without knowing it was in the same setting, haha! ), stumbled across the Forgotten Realms Fandom and found the list of novels there, and I couldn´t stop reading! Good decision.
Seravin Posted - 20 Apr 2023 : 23:45:11
quote:
Originally posted by KraziJoe

Late 80's I forget the original book I read. Maybe Azure Bonds, since I played the game on my C64 or maybe Spellfire. I was heavily engrossed in Fantasy due to Bards Tale, Might and Magic games and Sword of Shannara books as well as the Xanth novels and of course, DragonLance.

Wow...your C64 days tie back to mine. Except I had the C128 and the amazing music that came with Ultima V. But I definitely played the gold box games (Pool of Radiance, Azure Bonds, Hillsfar, Secret of the Silver Blades) and of course Bard's Tale 1-3.
KraziJoe Posted - 13 Apr 2023 : 22:02:18
Late 80's I forget the original book I read. Maybe Azure Bonds, since I played the game on my C64 or maybe Spellfire. I was heavily engrossed in Fantasy due to Bards Tale, Might and Magic games and Sword of Shannara books as well as the Xanth novels and of course, DragonLance.
Delnyn Posted - 09 Apr 2023 : 16:24:42
I started in 1989 with Pool of Radiance. Next was Crystal Shard.
Lord Karsus Posted - 08 Apr 2023 : 17:07:47
-It was either The Summoning or Homeland, around 2002 or so? Not that long after I got the FRCS and started digging the setting.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 07 Apr 2023 : 14:48:13
Shadowdale, in 1989.
Thauramarth Posted - 07 Apr 2023 : 06:50:23
First book I got was Spellfire, and I remember getting it just after buying the 2nd edition PHB, so that must have been 1989? That ledcme to buy the Old Grey Box, still one of the best game buy decisions I ever made. Next up was the Crystal Shard, and the rest followed.
Seravin Posted - 06 Apr 2023 : 21:45:17
Likely in 1989 with Pool of Radiance, Azure Bonds, Spellfire and the Avatar trilogy
Gary Dallison Posted - 06 Apr 2023 : 08:48:29
During lockdown
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Apr 2023 : 03:09:51
I don't recall the exact year... But the Avatar books were still new, and it was the "From the publishers of the Dragonlance saga!" blurb that had caught my attention.
TomCosta Posted - 06 Apr 2023 : 02:51:37
Started with the very first Darkwalker on Moonshae and read every book up till the 4E era, upon which I've only read sporadically.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000