Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dungeon Master Failure

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Turnstrike Posted - 26 Jan 2023 : 23:46:10
My group play using Roll20, despite playing in person, as a way to keep and maintain character sheets and view mapping and so forth. It was the way to keep the younger ones interested in it. It helps quite a lot, but sometimes it's an absolute pain in the buttocks. Like tonight...

... The mood is tense. The party are exploring a dungeon which was once a dwarven outpost until it was attacked by Orcs and "Evil Humans" who sought to steal their wealth. There are a large number of undead in the dungeon. Anyway, the party are slowly cleaving their way through Zombos and Skellies and all sorts of creatures, until they decide to take a short rest in the corridor. Roll Wandering Monster - Uh oh. They pass Passive Perception so won't be surprised...

I set the scene... "As you sit with your back against the wall, taking a breath from the exploration of the forge, you hear a shuffling noise coming from the east corridor. Suddenly a hideous creature lurches from the darkness, charging towards you"

And I, the experienced and confident Dungeon Master, weaver of stories and teller of tales, bringer of adventure, excitement and thrills...

Dropped a Goat on the table instead of a Ghoul.

Ambience = Gone.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jan 2023 : 22:20:04
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

I was in a Dragonlance campaign when I was 12-14 years old, and we made it to the final fight with a wizard in his tower, and the fight took place in a large greenhouse. The wizard cast a Stinking Cloud spell and our minotaur threw a potted plant at the glass ceiling to try and clear the gas. In the middle of this tense fight at the end of an adventure, the DM says:

"I need everyone to make a saving throw to avoid the falling grass."

Cue the nearly dozen or so early teen boys in our group immediately start making jokes about smoking the grass.

;)

Jeff

Once, in 2E, I was playing a minotaur who used a great axe (among other weapons). We were about to go into combat, and what I meant to say was "I'm pulling out my big ol' axe!"

I didn't say "axe."

The word I used was three letters starting with an A... But it rhymed with "grass."

It took us several minutes to get back to that particular combat!
TheIriaeban Posted - 27 Jan 2023 : 20:22:19
And thusly is the Goat of Ill Omens born!

I salute your reading of the room and the appropriate action to address it. As someone whose character owned a pet rock (it followed me around and would want to get petted and told "you're a good boy" and was very afraid of mud for some reason), humor at the appropriate time is a great way to create nice memories among all involved.
AuldDragon Posted - 27 Jan 2023 : 20:15:53
I was in a Dragonlance campaign when I was 12-14 years old, and we made it to the final fight with a wizard in his tower, and the fight took place in a large greenhouse. The wizard cast a Stinking Cloud spell and our minotaur threw a potted plant at the glass ceiling to try and clear the gas. In the middle of this tense fight at the end of an adventure, the DM says:

"I need everyone to make a saving throw to avoid the falling grass."

Cue the nearly dozen or so early teen boys in our group immediately start making jokes about smoking the grass.

;)

Jeff
ericlboyd Posted - 27 Jan 2023 : 15:53:23
Are you saying you dropped the greatest ghoul of all time, Doresain? In these parts (where Tom Brady hails from), Doresain is the GOAT Ghoul.

George Krashos might whine about the encounter being CR-inappropriate, but I admire your moxie.

;-)

--Eric
Ayrik Posted - 27 Jan 2023 : 06:28:54
Not every random encounter has to be a monster or villain. Not every random encounter has to end with someone killing something.

Sometimes a goat is just a goat.

But why would a goat be found indoors and underground?

Maybe it was chased? An orc marauder or hunter might be nearby, looking for that animal that ran into a hole, the one he was trying to steal, eat, or kill.

Likewise, an innocent farmer or child - the actual owner of the goat - might have followed it in. Sure to be worried about his livestock/pet being lost or injured. Not likely to approve when a bunch of armed hobos attack it.

Maybe one of the "evil human" kitchen stewards might be searching for the missing animal frantically. Desperate to find it before his/her "evil human" kitchen master discovers the bandit lord's favourite meal managed to chew, dig, or headbutt a path to escape.

Maybe the "evil humans" let it escape. Deliberately, accidently, part of a sport or dare or contest or drunken celebration or whatever. The goat may have stumbled into a group of armed killers while attempting to escape from (and being closely followed by) another group of armed killers.
Dalor Darden Posted - 27 Jan 2023 : 05:36:30
Who says Ghouls can't be goats?

Two kicks and a headbutt or a bite?

Just saying, Goat Ghouls may very well make an appearance at my table...because Orcus says!
Kentinal Posted - 27 Jan 2023 : 00:52:07
Maybe a Were-goat?
Clearly a visual error, which can be hard to fix. Or the goat drop had fixed stats in the software which clearly turns into a hard to explain event, A few ideas occur to me, however could only might help next time that events.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000