Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 FR 5th version books that I need to run the realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LWhitehead1 Posted - 07 Sep 2022 : 14:55:10
Hi I was wondering what D&D 5th Books would I need to run and play in FR?,

I need sourcebooks other then the Sword Coast,

LW
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
George Krashos Posted - 05 Jan 2023 : 04:46:57
In truth, the AL adventures are pretty poor all round, IMO. I find them shallow and uninspiring in the main, and it often appears that none of the writers have bothered to do much research re previous sources to at least attempt a bit of continuity. Couple this with the universally horrible name choices that feature, and you have that great behemoth known as "organised play". Just my 2cp.

-- George Krashos
Diffan Posted - 04 Jan 2023 : 19:07:00
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Another source of 5e Realmslore that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread are the official Adventurers League adventure modules. You can learn a lot about the modern Moonsea region, Chult, and other places far from the Sword Coast that haven't been covered by other books in these modules.

To sort of piggy-back on the Adventure League idea, the Phlan set of adventures in-directly correlates with the adventure Monument of the Ancients 4e Adventure written by Brian R. James and Matt James - detailed in Dungeon #170, especially for the timeline of Phlan and that particular area of the Moonsea, which start around 1480 DR. Still, very little of both the 4E adventure and 5E AL missions talk much - if at all - about the Pools trilogy set in the city of Phlan.

Still, that's much better than what the Adventure League sort of did to Hulburg, considering that none of the events in the Sword of the Moonsea trilogy seem to have even been mentioned. When/If I run the Hulburg Adventure League quests, I'll have to go back and re-read the trilogy again beforehand and then fill in the blanks and make the adventures worth playing.
Scots Dragon Posted - 04 Jan 2023 : 11:00:21
Technically speaking the best resource you can get is one of the old campaign setting boxed sets for 1e or 2e, or the hardcover for 3e.

The information might be outdated, but it covers most of what you need in a full on 'entire setting' sense.
hashimashadoo Posted - 02 Jan 2023 : 13:55:48
Really, you only need the Player's Handbook and Monster Manual to run the Realms in 5th edition.

I will note though, that if canon Realmslore is of particular importance to you, of the DM's Guild suggestions given in this thread, only The Border Kingdoms is considered 100% canonical. This is by dint of two things:
1) Per Ed's contract with WotC, everything he writes is canon until WotC override what he's written.
2) Alex Kammer got special permission from WotC to get the entire book, even the content not written by Ed, made official.

Ed has contributed to several other books, and although what he wrote is canon, we can't tell which bits aren't written by him, and no special permission has been given regarding the rest of those books. Therefore, although there's canon realmslore inside, there's little in the way to tell which parts those are.

Minsc & Boo's Journal of Villainy, although written by a full-time WotC employee, is not considered canonical in the slightest. Same goes for the Moonshae Isles Regional Guide book, since Baldman's deal with WotC fell through before it was completed. Then there's also the WotC statement on canon that they made, which essentially says that only the hardback sourcebooks and adventure campaigns that they've published since 2014 can be considered canon to the 5e realms. So that means no licensed materials (comic books, novels, video games) or anything from before 5th edition, can be considered canon.

Again though, I refer you back to the first line of this post, as the rest ONLY matters if you really care about canon.

Another source of 5e Realmslore that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread are the official Adventurers League adventure modules. You can learn a lot about the modern Moonsea region, Chult, and other places far from the Sword Coast that haven't been covered by other books in these modules.

Edit: I was reminded last night that, ever since Erin M. Evans took over writing for the Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms video game, it has become a very good source of new Realmslore.
pancakewizard Posted - 02 Jan 2023 : 13:29:55
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Every time I see Minsc and Boo in the context of 5e, I'm reminded of that art where Dynaheir literally became a harem attendant, Viconia wore conservative full plate and Xzar became an anime bishounen clown.

Xzar.

And there was Jaheira with the boobplate armor and the metal thigh-highs, in the same artbook that had a modestly dressed Viconia.

Fair, although Xzar is just a skull, the thing you're talking about is his even more insane clone. Also the Khalid art is very good.

Personally the BG companion characters are just the sideshow to the main content, for me. I find the group patron stuff, city snippets and fondly-remembered monster statblocks the bigger draw!
LordofBones Posted - 16 Oct 2022 : 14:46:05
Every time I see Minsc and Boo in the context of 5e, I'm reminded of that art where Dynaheir literally became a harem attendant, Viconia wore conservative full plate and Xzar became an anime bishounen clown.

Xzar.

And there was Jaheira with the boobplate armor and the metal thigh-highs, in the same artbook that had a modestly dressed Viconia.
pancakewizard Posted - 03 Oct 2022 : 15:18:47
Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy is, dare I say it, a more interesting and useful sourcebook for 5e than SCAG. It manages to tear itself away from the Sword Coast for much of it.
LWhitehead1 Posted - 10 Sep 2022 : 11:59:24
Ok thanks for the list of adventure rpg books that set in FR setting,

LW
Azar Posted - 09 Sep 2022 : 00:45:44
The 3e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting is still a top-notch resource.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Sep 2022 : 00:28:19
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Ed Greenwood has also co-authored several Realms books on DM's Guild, including the ones already mentioned on the Border Kingdoms and Rashemen, but also on Zhentil Keep, among others. Also Baldman Games got permission to develop the Moonshaes and has excellent material on DM's Guild.

The Moonshaes book was a good one.
TomCosta Posted - 08 Sep 2022 : 21:30:46
Ed Greenwood has also co-authored several Realms books on DM's Guild, including the ones already mentioned on the Border Kingdoms and Rashemen, but also on Zhentil Keep, among others. Also Baldman Games got permission to develop the Moonshaes and has excellent material on DM's Guild.
Diffan Posted - 08 Sep 2022 : 11:52:31
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I'd highly recommend both The Border Kingdoms and Rasheman 5e sourcebooks. Excellent quality and mostly Lore driven pieces that help fill in those areas in the 5e timeline

To be clear, these are DM's Guild products, and not official WotC publications. They're very good; I'm just clarifying you're not going to find them on Amazon or the shelves of your FLGS.

I should've clarified that, thanks!

I would also recommend the adventures Murder in Baldur’s Gate, Legacy of the Crystal Shard, and Dead in Thay. For one they come with great fold out maps of the region and they also do an admirable job of detailing the region and adding lore along with the adventure. Third, they can be played using 3.5. 4e, or 5e systems.

Taking Legacy of the Crystal Shard and then intertwining it with Storm Kings Thunder would be a great Icewind Dale style campaign.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Sep 2022 : 23:57:31
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I'd highly recommend both The Border Kingdoms and Rasheman 5e sourcebooks. Excellent quality and mostly Lore driven pieces that help fill in those areas in the 5e timeline

To be clear, these are DM's Guild products, and not official WotC publications. They're very good; I'm just clarifying you're not going to find them on Amazon or the shelves of your FLGS.
Diffan Posted - 07 Sep 2022 : 20:39:17
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 07 Sep 2022 : 16:47:28
The Sword Coast's Adventurer's Guide it the only book that details Campaign-specific items. The Player's Handbook has some information on the Realms in it.

The following are all the adventures that take place in the Realms for 5E, but they are pretty generic on lore information:

Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden
Out of the Abyss
Princes of the Apocalypse
Storm King's Thunder
Tales from the Yawning Portal
The Rise of Tiamat
Tomb of Annihilation
Tyranny of Dragons
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Sep 2022 : 16:32:19
There are no 5E sourcebooks covering areas other than the Sword Coast.

WotC's current approach is "if we write an adventure set somewhere aside from the Sword Coast, we'll dribble a few facts about that area into the adventure."
HighOne Posted - 07 Sep 2022 : 15:53:55
"Need" isn't the word I'd use. When 5E came out, there were no sourcebooks, and we played in FR just fine without them. You can use older sourcebooks if you have them, especially if they're 2E or 3E, as very little has changed in FR since then. There was the Spellplague in 4E, but most of those changes were reverted in 5E.

If you really want to stay up-to-date and make sure your tavernkeeper has the same name as the tavernkeeper in an official module, then you can just read the FR Wiki. Pretty much all the official information is there.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000