Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Glacier's Edge coming later this year

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erikor Posted - 13 May 2022 : 20:50:37
RAS's new book, Glacier's Edge, is released in august this year I think.
Starlight Enclave wasn't particularly well recieved among fans on this site, including myself.
Do you guys think it's gonna be any good?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TKU Posted - 07 Nov 2023 : 06:36:34
I thought it was the other way around. I'm struggling to remember the exact context I ran into it, but I seem to recall something about ed indicating that demihuman pantheons get 'first dibs' on the souls of their demihuman worshippers (even if they worshipped a god outside their pantheon?)

I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to lead to the conclusion that other distinct afterlives might have a similar arrangement, though I wonder if the fugue plane would still act as an intermediary step to another afterlife.
redking Posted - 05 Nov 2023 : 10:59:54
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X
And are better than the Faerūnian, for what it seems. They don't have Walls, either, making all that "the Wall is necessary" arguments just convenient lies.

AFAIK, these other pantheons only get jurisdiction over the afterlife if they are not judged faithless or false by Kelemvor.
Zeromaru X Posted - 27 Oct 2023 : 22:14:11
quote:
Originally posted by Shardnax
It's jurisdictional as per Ring of Winter. If you're outside Kara-Tur and you're not from there it they don't lay claim.

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Kara-Tur and Mulhorand have their own gods and jurisdiction regarding the afterlife.

And are better than the Faerūnian, for what it seems. They don't have Walls, either, making all that "the Wall is necessary" arguments just convenient lies.
Irennan Posted - 27 Oct 2023 : 14:53:32
That's fine too.
Shardnax Posted - 27 Oct 2023 : 14:32:52
That's no issue for me. I assessed and it doesn't seem likely to go anywhere.
Irennan Posted - 27 Oct 2023 : 04:28:20
@Shardnax
If you don't feel comfortable continuing, that's totally fine.
However, if you're worried about offending me, rest assured that it's *really* hard for me to become upset due to a discussion. I discuss because I enjoy doing so--even when I come off as vehement, it's not because I'm getting angry. So it's alright to continue if you want to
Shardnax Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 22:15:33
Edit: On second thought, I'll let it be.
Irennan Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 21:25:47
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
every Realms fan was totally ok when they shoved christianity down our throats with the Wall of the Faithless

A search on this site (or anywhere on the web) will show that this simply isn't true. The Wall has sparked some of the most heated discussions here and elsewhere, and you might have been part of those. Either way, tons of Realms fans weren't ok with the Wall, just like tons of Realms fans aren't ok with RAS taking something he didn't create and acting like he owns the place.

Yeah, I may have talked against Kelemvor's garden decoration, but you don't see me saying that it's totally fine that RAS is thrashing religion now. That's the irony: people applaud when they bully atheists, but complain when it's the turn of the believers...

There are many FR fans who spoke against the Wall being kept by Kel, me and you included. That's what I was trying to say.
Irennan Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 21:20:56
quote:

Why is it cruel? They've made their choice. Lack of knowledge would be another matter but, the deities would probably sort that out.

Why should avoiding prayer be punished? Why couldn't a person who doesn't worship (but obviously believes that the gods are real, because you can't believe otherwise, and who doesn't do anything against the gods), be left to wander the planes once they're dead? Or why can't they just chill around in the Fugue? They just minded their own business without jarming anyone.

Also, remember: the Wall is Myrkul's idea of getting back at some people through torture. It is cruel by design.

quote:

"Cosmic balance" makes enough sense, the portfolio and mortals are power. You wouldn't potentially decrease your power and leave yourself more vulnerable to remove something entirely avoidable on the part of the mortals.[/quote ]

It's not, it's a vague, incredibly lazy explanation that makes the whole thing into a weird racket, and instantly removes any kind of depth and mystery from the narratives that you could craft around why Kel chose to keep the Wall. I repeat, the Wall isn't a force of nature or an existential truth, it's Myrkul's creation. Jergal didn't have it, and things worked just fine.

[quote]
There's no requirement for following a major power is there?

Minor powers are often unknown to many.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 20:13:28
Kara-Tur and Mulhorand have their own gods and jurisdiction regarding the afterlife.
Shardnax Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 19:56:18
quote:
And what about people who ignore about the existence of the Kara-Turan gods? They are faithless from that point of view.

It's jurisdictional as per Ring of Winter. If you're outside Kara-Tur and you're not from there it they don't lay claim.
Shardnax Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 19:21:44
quote:
The Wall of the Faithless makes sense as the result of Myrkul's cruelty, but it isn't a necessary or "just" thing. Like I said, what if someone acknowledged that yes, gods exist and are powerful, but didn't want to worship? That isn't the same as not believing, it's just minding your own business and not engaging with religion. Why shouldn't said person be allowed to just chill in the City of Judgement, or be left free to wander the planes (with all the risks tat entails, yes) once they're dead?

Far too many FR gods give you tons of reasons to NOT worship them, after all, given their behaviors. And many deities that you could actually be feel compelled to worship are minor and rather unknown.

Why is it cruel? They've made their choice. Lack of knowledge would be another matter but, the deities would probably sort that out.

"Cosmic balance" makes enough sense, the portfolio and mortals are power. You wouldn't potentially decrease your power and leave yourself more vulnerable to remove something entirely avoidable on the part of the mortals.

There's no requirement for following a major power is there?
Zeromaru X Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 19:17:13
quote:
It's annoying because it's dumb and illogical. There is no concept of atheism in a fantasy setting with gods actively mucking about with the mortals. The character would be provably wrong. The concept wouldn't occur to low intelligence characters and moderate or above intelligence characters wouldn't make the mistake.

As dumb and illogical as the idea of punishing an atheist in a polytheistic religion. By that logic, everyone that decides to believe in one god above all others is denying the other gods, and should be mortared in the Wall because of that (a single god cannot do anything against the combined might of the rest). And what about people who ignore about the existence of the Kara-Turan gods? They are faithless from that point of view.

But here we are...

Also, look at real world politheistic religions. None of them have punishments for people who don't believe in the gods. Only monotheistic religions do that, and I don't think the writers of the novels at the time were Muslims or Jews. So, they shoved us Christianity up our throats, but it's totally fine because it's 2e.
Zeromaru X Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 19:08:29
quote:

quote:
every Realms fan was totally ok when they shoved christianity down our throats with the Wall of the Faithless

A search on this site (or anywhere on the web) will show that this simply isn't true. The Wall has sparked some of the most heated discussions here and elsewhere, and you might have been part of those. Either way, tons of Realms fans weren't ok with the Wall, just like tons of Realms fans aren't ok with RAS taking something he didn't create and acting like he owns the place.

Yeah, I may have talked against Kelemvor's garden decoration, but you don't see me saying that it's totally fine that RAS is thrashing religion now. That's the irony: people applaud when they bully atheists, but complain when it's the turn of the believers...
redking Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 08:31:06
quote:

I feel like you would have to try pretty hard to never engage with the gods at all, as many Faerunians will engage with them at some point (even though deeds and actions), or saying a quick prayer for luckk or something. You don't have to be pious.

Ed has stated that ending up on the Wall is rare, and while yes it exists, and yes, it is the fate for aomw, it's more of a bogeyman

The Wall of the Faithless exists for people like Drizzt. Drizzt has every reason to believe; he chooses not to believe. And like you say, you don't even have to be pious. It's relatively easy to get into whatever heaven is available to you in the Forgotten Realms setting.

Drizzt is a ranger that never prayed for spells. He has seen miracles and his wife is literally a prophet. Yet Drizzt hardened his heart against all the signs and wonders. This is why ending up in the Wall of the Faithless is rare, and also applies to Drizzt and people like him.
Irennan Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 07:28:29
That's true, I know, but it's still cruel that there's a punishment for those who, for example, make a point to not pray, because they don't want to rely on power that isn't theirs and/o they don't understand. Then again, the Wall was designed by Myrkul to be a cruel punishment, and that's what I want to make clear. It isn't a force of nature, or an inevitable truth, or whatever. It's a sick joke a cruel god created out of sheer spite and vengefulness towards one of his priests, and that for some reason a more compassionate god decided to keep standing. There's potential for mystery and stories there: why did Kel actually decide to keep it? Ignore the weird and forced explanation provided in the ToT story, pretend that as a cover up for some more insidious truth that Kel discovered, and that would put any individual attempting to demolish the wall in front of a choice where there's no entirely good outcome.

NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer did that amazingly well (until the very end, when they went with the "cosmic balance" vague BS of an explanation).
CorellonsDevout Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 05:45:33
I feel like you would have to try pretty hard to never engage with the gods at all, as many Faerunians will engage with them at some point (even though deeds and actions), or saying a quick prayer for luckk or something. You don't have to be pious.

Ed has stated that ending up on the Wall is rare, and while yes it exists, and yes, it is the fate for aomw, it's more of a bogeyman
Irennan Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 04:36:01
quote:
Originally posted by redking

The Wall of the Faithless totally makes sense. Not only are there miracles in your everyday life in the realms, if you were around for the time of troubles, you may have actually met a god. The Wall of the Faithless is where Drizzt will end up. It is because he is arrogant and a disbeliever despite all the direct evidence given to him.

The Wall of the Faithless makes sense as the result of Myrkul's cruelty, but it isn't a necessary or "just" thing. Like I said, what if someone acknowledged that yes, gods exist and are powerful, but didn't want to worship? That isn't the same as not believing, it's just minding your own business and not engaging with religion. Why shouldn't said person be allowed to just chill in the City of Judgement, or be left free to wander the planes (with all the risks tat entails, yes) once they're dead?

Far too many FR gods give you tons of reasons to NOT worship them, after all, given their behaviors. And many deities that you could actually be feel compelled to worship are minor and rather unknown.
redking Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 03:48:10
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
You're assuming WotC would allow him to die.

Drizzt is already dead to me.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 03:20:21
Drizzt seems to have become one with everything, so he'll probably Transcend when he dies (or Mielikki will take him in, though he has turned his back on her).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 03:07:02
quote:
Originally posted by redking

The Wall of the Faithless totally makes sense. Not only are there miracles in your everyday life in the realms, if you were around for the time of troubles, you may have actually met a god. The Wall of the Faithless is where Drizzt will end up. It is because he is arrogant and a disbeliever despite all the direct evidence given to him.

You're assuming WotC would allow him to die.
redking Posted - 25 Oct 2023 : 19:50:56
sno4wy Posted - 25 Oct 2023 : 06:54:25
quote:
It's more of a "are these people really gods?", and "what's divinity?", and "why worship?" kind of issue. FR gods are literally just people (or whatever other creature), with most of the struggles and qualities and flaws of people, just vastly more powerful. They don't understand the "absolute truth of the world", or the way to enlightenment, or whatever other philosophical construct is usually associated to divinity. They just have their own ideals and M.O., exactly like people.

That's true and totally valid, and yeah, it does suck for people that reason that way to end up in the Wall. I thought it was for those who deny the gods' existence despite countless evidence to the contrary.
Irennan Posted - 25 Oct 2023 : 06:14:40
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

I always viewed the Wall as more of a stupidity check than an atheism check. It's one thing to deny the gods' existence when gods literally have walked the world and will likely do so in the future, and another to deny the gods' existence when that has never happened.

It's more of a "are these people really gods?", and "what's divinity?", and "why worship?" kind of issue. FR gods are literally just people (or whatever other creature), with most of the struggles and qualities and flaws of people, just vastly more powerful. They don't understand the "absolute truth of the world", or the way to enlightenment, or whatever other philosophical construct is usually associated to divinity. They just have their own ideals and M.O., exactly like people.

But I agree with redking, the Wall's a great antagonist for games and campaigns that want to tackle those matters. After all, it's not some stuff that was retconned in, but the product of Myrkul's cruelty. It was never presented as a good or necessary thing (until Kel took over, that is: I only wish they gave Kel actually good reasons for not demolishing it, or made him straight up unable to remove Myrkul's legacy on the fugue, or any other solution that isn't the bullshit we got).
redking Posted - 25 Oct 2023 : 02:05:05
Drizzt on the wall of the faithless is going to be hilarious. Also, the wall of the faithless is great. It gave us the great expansion to Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer.
sno4wy Posted - 24 Oct 2023 : 21:39:31
I always viewed the Wall as more of a stupidity check than an atheism check. It's one thing to deny the gods' existence when gods literally have walked the world and will likely do so in the future, and another to deny the gods' existence when that has never happened.
Shardnax Posted - 24 Oct 2023 : 14:52:46
quote:

I dislike Drizzt's novels as much as the next guy, but I cannot avoid to find it ironic that every Realms fan was totally ok when they shoved christianity down our throats with the Wall of the Faithless, but now everyone is disturbed because one author decided to do the same with atheism...

It's annoying because it's dumb and illogical. There is no concept of atheism in a fantasy setting with gods actively mucking about with the mortals. The character would be provably wrong. The concept wouldn't occur to low intelligence characters and moderate or above intelligence characters wouldn't make the mistake.
Irennan Posted - 24 Oct 2023 : 10:37:46
quote:

Zeromaru X Posted - 24 Oct 2023 : 02:59:44
quote:

I wouldn't call the Wall Christianity,

Only in Abrahamic monotheistic religions, (and specially in Christianity) there is a punishment for non-believing in god. So, you're technically right, it's not just Christianity, but I doubt the TSR writers of the time were Muslims or Jews...

But it was still forcing their beliefs into us through the Realms. So, RAS is doing nothing new.

CorellonsDevout Posted - 24 Oct 2023 : 01:59:18
I wouldn't call the Wall Christianity, and it wasn't really shoved down our throats the way RAS is doing with atheism. It was just part of god lore (albeit not a great part). RAS is like "all religion is bad, even fictional religion. I will make all of them look bad."

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000