Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rak Nir Ruik

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 05 Jul 2021 : 23:29:34
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/363274/The-Metahel-Pantheon-of-Anchorome

Rak Nir Ruik
The Last Battle of the Gods
Was a Lie!
A Trick of the Gods Upon their Enemies
A Last Desperate Attempt to Stop the Tide of Destruction
Destiny? Fate? Are they truly so unchangable as the soothsayers say?

Or was that a contrivance used to lull their enemies into a false sense of security? A belief
that no matter what, they would ultimately prevail against the gods of mankind.

Rak Nir Ruik, the Last Battle of the Gods, has happened, but its name was truly a misnomer, for the gods did not all die as predicted. In fact, very few things happened as they were predicted to happen, almost as though the fates of the gods were not set in stone, and the destiny of the gods was nothing but a lie. A lie that would cost their enemies dearly in immortal blood and divine power. Now, led by Sifya the Warmother and her husband
Thoros the Lord of Thunder, the gods of the asagrimm protect their worshippers with a fierceness only a mother bear protecting her cubs can exhibit.

[b]The Metahel Pantheon of Anchorome[b]

In the TSR product, City of Gold, it introduced a culture of essentially stranded vikings in a desert like area off the western coast of Anchorome, who have adapted to living in Pueblos. This product asks the question, "where did they come from? Are they related to the Northmen of Ruathym?" It also asks, "Who were their gods? Are they actually the same gods as Faerun? Or are they different?"

This product introduces a pantheon of gods that mimics both the Faerunian and Norse pantheons at the same time. It also presents a question of "What if Ragnarok and its fated destinies was actually a trick by the gods against their enemies?". It also puts some spin on classic norse gods in a way that most people don't view them, such as what if Sif isn't exactly necessarily the way we think of her? It also pays some small homage to storylines in popular culture that have occurred over the past 30 years.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/363274/The-Metahel-Pantheon-of-Anchorome

Its a Pay What you Want. I cleaned up a lot of my notes, typos, and re-oriented a lot of my ideas.... but mostly I was just having fun. If you'd enjoy the read, give it a spin.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Baltas Posted - 07 Jul 2021 : 20:55:42
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
[
BTW, I was tempted to put in a Lord of the Death Giants as well or maybe Lord of the Spirit Giants, who ends up dying as well at Ragnarok/Rak Nir Ruik. I was thinking it might be fun if some giant lord's "body" actually does get "undeaded" by Heleshkiga/Hela/Ereshkigal and it affects the race of them on Toril and possibly other worlds to make the "death giants".

That's a very interesting idea. I think the Lord of Death Giants could be based on Helblindi though he might be to closelly related to Valigor and Heleshkiga, though this also might be a plus.
sleyvas Posted - 07 Jul 2021 : 18:36:24
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

With the migrations, yeah the portals quite infuence it and change from reall world, though I meant I think (which we agree) there was an implication of a possible connection for some time between Jhaamdath and Northmen.
And yeah, it's fun to make a new pantheon, but also connected to the Faeruian pantheon (and some others) on Toril. It's in part why like this.

The twist with Ragnarok was also something I loved.

With Loffey being a fey being, based on some theories with Laufey not bing a Jotun, but a aes, van and/or elf (her name meaning leaves, foliage, leafy), with it being a darker version of Idunn's abduction. And with Utgor-Valig (Uthgard-Loki) being Valigor's father, bringing up the ambious connection Loki and Uthgard-Loki (along with the facts Norse mythological entities, had many names).

Wow, you really caught a lot of my hints. That part about Loffey, yeah, that's exactly why I went with her being actually fey instead of what we see (her name origin linking some to think she was a tree goddess), along with the fact that we know Loki/Valigor can gender change. Also, yep, the old stories of Uthgard-Loki as being a giant who was just as "tricky" as Loki just screamed... hey let's make him the father AND make him "Lord of the Eldritch Giants" since we don't have one of those. I only came up with that idea while writing this.

BTW, I was tempted to put in a Lord of the Death Giants as well or maybe Lord of the Spirit Giants, who ends up dying as well at Ragnarok/Rak Nir Ruik. I was thinking it might be fun if some giant lord's "body" actually does get "undeaded" by Heleshkiga/Hela/Ereshkigal and it affects the race of them on Toril and possibly other worlds to make the "death giants".
Baltas Posted - 07 Jul 2021 : 14:00:22
With the migrations, yeah the portals quite infuence it and change from reall world, though I meant I think (which we agree) there was an implication of a possible connection for some time between Jhaamdath and Northmen.
And yeah, it's fun to make a new pantheon, but also connected to the Faeruian pantheon (and some others) on Toril. It's in part why like this.

The twist with Ragnarok was also something I loved.

With Loffey being a fey being, based on some theories with Laufey not bing a Jotun, but a aes, van and/or elf (her name meaning leaves, foliage, leafy), with it being a darker version of Idunn's abduction. And with Utgor-Valig (Uthgard-Loki) being Valigor's father, bringing up the ambious connection Loki and Uthgard-Loki (along with the facts Norse mythological entities, had many names).
sleyvas Posted - 06 Jul 2021 : 23:39:38
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

Very interesting and well done project.

It's very well integrated with lore from Faerunian pantheons and myths.

I also noticed some of the refernces to pop-culture most notably to Marvel comics (and I think also a bit MCU movies?), ie Valigor being Thoros adoptive brother, Jarlsbluud; Skaragos the Executioner and Alaeralie (to Skurge and Amora, though I also see in Alaeralie a similarirty to Gullveig - that is of course, aside from also Garagos and Leira).

Varagor (Daragor) and Eshabal (Eshebala) being children of Valigor (Valigan) and Alaeralie (Leira) is briliant idea (even if it might be myth), quite fiting with Norse mythological inspiration, and connection to illusion of both Eshebala and Leira.

The implied connection between Jhaamdath and Metahel is also interesting, as it's possible Northmen were originally conected to Jhaamdathi and/or Tethen (ie as George Krashos stated and as was in the oldest sourcebooks), they came from South, traveling North, before it was retconned), though I guess here it's another, possibly older wave of migration.

Yeah, one thing to consider with "migrations" that are different from our world is that people might appear internally within a continent because of portals from the other side of the world. I half suspect that could have happened with some of this, with people coming from the same rough place to Faerun, but by different "paths" and at different times (which may have influenced who people were actively worshipping at the time... for instance, did they come over before or after the Asagrimm/Faernir conflict, such that maybe they don't even know of the Faernir gods or the Asagrimm gods). In the case of the Jhaamdath area, they seem to have several "norse" deities (Tyr, Heimdall, Loki, as in Anachtar, Hemdahl, Valigor, plus the now dead Murdanna), so I worked with it, whereas the Northmen of Ruathym might have favored other deities that "changed" over time. At the same time, I also put in references for the Yuir, Rashemen, giant deities, etc... as well.

I am VERY glad you caught onto those cues. Yes, very much the homage of Alaeralie and Skaragos are definitely based on Amora/Enchantress and Skurge of MCU history. I'm also glad you caught the Daragos/Eshebala link.

In the end, the fun of it for me was to create an almost entirely new pantheon, using almost entirely the same exact gods (a smaller pantheon mind you, and often using lesser powers in big ways to make them feel more important to the world). The other part of the fun of it for me was to give Ragnarok a very ODD twist (as in the "evil" Loki was helping the Asgardians, and Sif was helping plan all the backstabs)
Baltas Posted - 06 Jul 2021 : 20:47:14
Very interesting and well done project.

It's very well integrated with lore from Faerunian pantheons and myths.

I also noticed some of the refernces to pop-culture most notably to Marvel comics (and I think also a bit MCU movies?), ie Valigor being Thoros adoptive brother, Jarlsbluud; Skaragos the Executioner and Alaeralie (to Skurge and Amora, though I also see in Alaeralie a similarirty to Gullveig - that is of course, aside from also Garagos and Leira).

Varagor (Daragor) and Eshabal (Eshebala) being children of Valigor (Valigan) and Alaeralie (Leira) is briliant idea (even if it might be myth), quite fiting with Norse mythological inspiration, and connection to illusion of both Eshebala and Leira.

The implied connection between Jhaamdath and Metahel is also interesting, as it's possible Northmen were originally conected to Jhaamdathi and/or Tethen (ie as George Krashos stated and as was in the oldest sourcebooks), they came from South, traveling North, before it was retconned), though I guess here it's another, possibly older wave of migration.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000