Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 A Troubled Economy Journal (MIA): Tuck Arbuckle

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 07:04:22
A little heads up on Tuck Arbuckle. He is/was (who knows if he's still alive or not) a Drow named Chaka, who was murdered and then reincarnated as a horrid punishment. He ended up as a Hin. He swore to seek revenge and since has sought to create a vast and powerful network so as to act on that desire for revenge.

There will also be "Secret" journals that show his true nature and plans as Chaka that were posted all along throughout the course of the campaign. They are juicy.

Into the desert to discover...?

Tags: #bugbear #flood #hobgoblins #Tuck

23 MAY 2017

Journal of Tuck Arbuckle

So my time as assistant Harbor Master has come to an end. Fernid Empator was useful, and together we lined our pockets (mine more than his). Unrest came to the city from some outside source. I am curious as to what it is, and have no good leads. For my part, I see that I can profit from it. I was able to squeeze a little extra gold here and there, but now the Church of Luce has offered 1000 crints to those who go on information gathering missions.

Fortunately, my wealth is very portable. I was able to sign up with a group of what seem to be the heroic or desperate-type…well most of them anyway. I know these missions must be quite dangerous. He who dares greatly, stands to make great gain! I have no ties to this world, and if I do not come back from this mission, no one will mourn me.

I have become fond of a young fellow called Sahil. He is not yet into his adult maturity, yet he has a striking humility coupled with very valuable powers. More than that though, he seems to have a child-like innocence and a good heart. He gives freely of himself. I must protect him on this dangerous adventure.

There are several more in my company. Most notably two aasimar. They are quite beautiful and both are armored and armed like champions. They don’t talk much, but they are eager for battle.

There are a pair of men from a land called WA. I’ve heard of this land. One of them, Danjo, chafes at the mention of his family, and I think he must be banished from his own land, or he fled from the law. Either way, his emotions lie just below the surface of his thoughts. Danjo has a servant named Sheeno. He is a quiet man, who rarely speaks. I will try to befriend him, so I can learn more of his past and what path he presently seeks. It is odd that he should set aside his own ambitions to follow Danjo. For now, both these men are mysteries to me.

On Elesias the 9th, we went to an outfitter’s station and we hired a fellow to tell us what equipment to take. He seemed very knowledgeable of the desert and we followed his guidance, purchasing sand tubes, long tent spikes, extra steel bands for our barrels, whale fat and dried dates. We went back into Assur and I treated my new companions to fine wine and fine food. It seemed like a good way to cement our partnership and build some bonds of trust among us. My life may be in these very folks’ hands soon.

We left on the 10th, taking two camels and I purchased a mule. We plodded along in the dark, thanking Adama for respite from the harsh sun, and for two days all was well.

On the twelfth, a fierce rainstorm occurred in the mountains. Enalda, one of the aasimar, predicted it the day before. Soon the torrential rains became a flood, and our beasts were toppled by the onrushing water. My trusty mule lost it’s footing and I was waist deep in the mud momentarily until he scrambled to his feet and I got back on. I was ever so thankful for the beast!

Some supplies were destroyed by the flooding. When my mule went down some of my make-up was destroyed. The barrels holding our supplies all broke, but Sahil repaired them all. I must reward him. As he does not value wealth, I’m not yet what he would value. Sahil also replaced the water!! Such a boon, that one is!!

On Elesias 13th, we came upon some toppled wagons and were ambushed by three hobgoblins and a bugbear. I put one hobgoblin to sleep. My other allies slew a hobgoblin and the bugbear and the remaining hobgoblin fled. I was forced to give chase and I killed it. We have survived two threats, to our lives already! What could possibly go wrong from here?

I’m anxious to get to the town we are heading to. I can’t wait to “pick up a few things.” Hahahaha!

29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 11 Dec 2020 : 19:37:25
As Chaka

Same Old Shit Again!!

Gods and Power and Lives in the Balance

Tags: #Alaric #Ilmater #Orcus #Torm

15 APR 2018

So after resting we set out in search of the drow sorceress (or whatever). we were not too happy when we discovered that SHE found US! For truth, though I am normally adroit with words, for some unexplainable reason, I found myself silent. I wanted to challenge her with words! I saw that her threats turned the courage of my companions to piss that ran down their legs, but to me, I know, threats and posturing are the currency of drow society. To cow opponents with words is the most economical way to win a war. As if by some strange power, my tongue was stilled. It was like my body was there but my personality was absent! So as we so often do, we succumbed to bullying and brow-beating and slinked away liked kicked dogs. How I hate, Hate, HATE losing and weakness!!! We escaped to plan a better path of attack, or rather to navigate this trap.

We went to the room with two doors. We allowed ourselves to rest and mourn our lowly predicament. We soon forgot the terror of the Orcs of Orcus and decided (ha!) to take them on once more. Oh, the whining and bitching! The mewling of the young who can not find the teat! We finally set out. We explored more deeply than ever before into their lair. The Temple of Orcus, as always, is a pit of cruelty and despair! The evil made manifest in those halls describes the worst things done by the worst sort of folk.

We came upon an ogre guard and thought to kill it quickly to hide our presence! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF TYMORA! SURELY CYRIC WAS GUIDING OUR STEPS!!!!!!!! SHAR YOU BITCH! YOUR SECRETS IN YOUR DARKNESS!!!

The beast of our nightmares was there all along and he crushed the ogre, like Danjo crushes mosquitos! Once again we remember fear!

Now cries of succor and plaintive prayers leap to the lips of the kivvil, and no wonder!! They love their life!! Do I love mine less? NO! A thousand times no, I say! I have lived trying to avoid the gaze of the gods. I find that the powerful see me as only a morsel, or a pawn. I enjoy neither appellation. When I am lie, steal and kill, in order to gain some thing, I don’t ask Tymora for help, nor do I ask Tyr for forgiveness! I do what I do, to gain what I can gain. Can I fool the gods? I don’t believe I really want to know that answer. I just hope they don’t decide to notice me. So far the gods have not protected many from me!

I prefer to create “deals” where both parties can prosper, but if it comes to a choice of you or me, I’m striving for ME. Best of luck and may the best Hin win!

So, will I join the kivvil in supplication? Good question. I have seen that Rakor, Danjo, and Sahil as well, get the help and support of their gods. Will the help of a hypocrite like me spoil their chances? I don’t have long to ponder… Why would Alaric return life to Danjo and Rakor? Why would spirits respond as they do to Sahil’s healing gifts, as occurred in this underground hell a few weeks back? I don’t know, but maybe my survival while being ignorant of the gods, has been a fluke. I certainly never dreamed they would intervene in my life, but I’ve witnessed their intervention with these fools. How long can I deny the power of their faith? How long can I deny the power of Ilmater? Alaric? Torm? Who is the fool?? Is it me? Do I deny power that I witness before me?

I know this. I want to live! I want their gods to save me too! I saw the wickedness of the spider queen destroy and ruin, and I’ve seen the work of the Triad do even better. I suppose it is time to take sides. Dare I? Will I be found worthy, (surely not!)? I have thought that if I can gain power by stabbing these fools in the back, I would… but… will their gods save them and not me? I have a second to decide…half a second…a tenth!!

“Torm and Ilmater! Alaric the righteous! Save us from this hateful force of destruction and torment! Strike him down, that we may serve you for many years to come! Help us in our hour of need!”

cpthero2 Posted - 11 Dec 2020 : 19:34:54
Same old shit again!!

Gods and power and lives in the balance

Tags: #Alaric #Ilmater #Orcus #Torm

15 APR 2018

Tuck’s Journal.

So after resting we set out in search of the drow sorceress (or whatever). My companions and I were not too happy when we discovered that SHE found US! For truth, though I am normally adroit with words, for some unexplainable reason, I found myself silent. I wanted to challenge her with words! I saw that her threats turned the courage of my companions to water that ran down their legs, but to me, I know, threats and posturing are the currency of drow society. To cow opponents with words is the most economical way to win a war. As if by some strange power, my tongue was stilled. It was like my body was there but my personality was absent! So as we so often do, we succumbed to bullying and brow-beating and slinked away liked kicked dogs. How I hate, Hate, HATE DROW!!!

We went to the room with two doors. We allowed ourselves to rest and mourn our lowly predicament. We soon forgot the terror of the Orcs of Orcus and decided (ha!) to take them on once more. We gathered our wits and our bits and we set out. We explored more deeply than ever before into their lair. The Temple of Orcus, as always, is a pit of cruelty and despair! The evil made manifest in those halls describes the worst things done by the worst sort of folk.

We came upon an ogre guard and thought to kill it quickly to hide our presence! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF TYMORA! SURELY CYRIC WAS GUIDING OUR STEPS!!!!!!!!

The beast of our nightmares was there all along and he crushed the ogre, like Danjo crushes mosquitos! Once again we remember fear!

Now cries of succor and plaintive prayers leap to the lips of my friends, and no wonder!! They love their life!! Do I love mine less? NO! A thousand times no, I say! I have lived trying to avoid the gaze of the gods. I find that the powerful see me as only a morsel, or a pawn. I enjoy neither appellation. When I am creating an alternate truth that suits me, in order to gain some thing, I don’t ask Tymora for help, nor do I ask Tyr for forgiveness! I do what I do, to gain what I can gain. Can I fool the gods? I don’t believe I really want to know that answer. I just hope they don’t decide to notice me. So far the gods have not protected many from my scheming.

I prefer to create “deals” where both parties can prosper, but if it comes to a choice of you or me, I’m striving for ME. Best of luck and may the best Hin win!

So, will I join my friends in supplication? Good question. I have seen that Rakor, Danjo and Sahil as well get the help and support of their gods. Will the help of a hypocrite like me spoil their chances? I don’t have long to ponder… Why would Alaric return life to Danjo and Rakor? Why would spirits respond as they do to Sahil’s healing gifts, as occurred in this underground hell a few weeks back? I don’t know, but maybe my survival while being ignorant of the gods, has been a fluke. I certainly never dreamed they would intervene in my life, but I’ve witnessed their intervention with my friends! How long can I deny the power of their faith? How long can I deny the power of Ilmater? Alaric? Torm?

I know this, I want to live! I want their gods to save me too! I saw the wickedness of the spider queen destroy and ruin, and I’ve seen the work of the Triad do even better. I suppose it is time to take sides. Dare I? Will I be found worthy, (surely not!)?

“Torm and Ilmater! Alaric the righteous! Save us from this hateful force of destruction and torment! Strike him down, that we may serve you for many years to come! Help us in our hour of need!”

cpthero2 Posted - 11 Dec 2020 : 19:31:31
As Chaka

The Relics of Alaric

The damned purple fog

Tags: #halberd #infernal #purple

04 APR 2018

The mood has improved considerably with the discovery of the Tomb of Alaric! He apparently was a great hero of the Tormites. We guarded it from the outside, and then Rakor, Sahil and Danjo emerged again. Rakor said he communed with some spirits and they gave him some relics. Now THAT’s what I was hoping for. I showed them it is very important for the relics to stay hidden. Eventually, I know the wraith will want them, and if I help him, then I may win some favor. They agreed with me, so it was decided that the relics are safe where they are. It was a goblet of gold that can do magical healing and some stones that also do healing with the goblet. The magical barriers that protect the tomb with surely keep the wraith out.

So, we need to find the Drow. We obscured our exit point from the rock wall using a Fog Cloud spell, and by Shar, am I glad we did!! She loves darkness and forgetfulness and secrets. If I was more devout, I might figure out some way to worship her in this cave, but, to be honest, I just try to steer clear of gods and it’s worked out so far!

We set out through the caves and found one full of purple mist. It obscures all sight beyond a few inches. Danjo ventured in and was attacked by some undead thing wearing chainmail and wielding a halberd (we later discovered the nature of the armament). The thing was too smart for Danjo to defeat!! It was comical listening to him stumble about and curse! So Sahil summoned wolves, who apparently have a very keen sense of smell. The hidden, undead guardian cut Danjo’s tendons behind his heels! The wolves killed, or rather, destroyed it. Shino then dragged Danjo out to us. We decided to leave the purple fog cloud and as we did we heard some loud banging and clanging from within. We made it back to Alaric’s Tomb and we heard voices outside. Rakor said it was speaking Infernal. It said it was able to “smell their souls.” We waited quietly and they scary monsters went away, never finding where we were hid.

I decided to do more exploration. I bravely headed out alone. I traveled some winding ways. I found a cave with a carving of a large head, about 12 feet high. It was fully stone, and upright. I thought maybe it was a slumbering stone giant that was buried up to it’s neck. Close examination revealed it was just a carved piece of rock. I also found another cave full of purple fog. I entered and was soon beset by an evil and relentless mother****er with a halberd. The thing harried me as I felt my way blindly. I found two exits, one led to a very narrow hall and a metal door with no lock. I didn’t open it. The other exit led to an unfinished room and a large, very elaborate door with an elaborate lock. The unfinished room bore the same Tormic carvings on the walls, and once more they were fouled and desecrated extensively. After that discovery I managed to escape the purple fog room on the proper side and I rejoined my dear companions.

I saw that Rakor’s relic goblet healed Danjo’s tendon, but he was still hobbling around, but this time more pronounced than normal. Finally we rested a good long time and set out again, so I could show them my discoveries...

I haven’t heard again from the wraith. I’m sure he’s listening to us, however...

cpthero2 Posted - 11 Dec 2020 : 19:29:24
The Relics of Alaric

The damned purple fog

Tags: #halberd #infernal #purple

04 APR 2018

The mood has improved considerably with the discovery of the Tomb of Alaric! He apparently was a great hero of the Tormites. We guarded it from the outside, and then Rakor, Sahil and Danjo emerged again. Rakor said he communed with some spirits and they gave him some relics! A goblet of gold that can do magical healing and some stones that also do healing with the goblet. It was decided that the relics are safe where they are. The magical barriers that protect the tomb with surely keep the wight out. It is only a matter of time until it learns of the relics from reading our thoughts or by merely listening to us blather, then it will threaten to kill us if we don’t give it the relics. At least that is what I would do if I was an evil asshole.

So, we need to find the Drow. We obscured our exit point from the rock wall using a Fog Cloud spell, and by Tymora, am I glad we did!! We set out through the caves and found one full of purple mist. It obscures all sight beyond a few inches. Danjo ventured in and was attacked by some undead thing wearing chainmail and wielding a halberd (we later discovered the nature of the armament). The thing was too tough for Danjo to defeat while blind, so Sahil summoned wolves, who apparently have a very keen sense of smell. The hidden, undead guardian cut Danjo’s tendons behind his heels! The wolves killed, or rather, destroyed it. Shino then dragged Danjo out to us. We decided to leave the purple fog cloud and as we did we heard some loud banging and clanging from within. We made it back to Alaric’s Tomb and we heard voices outside. Rakor said it was speaking Infernal. It said it was able to “smell their souls.” I assume it was souls, but with Danjo around it very well could’ve been “soles.” His feet are quite rank! Well I feel jovial now, but at the time it was rather ****ing terrifying. We waited quietly and they scary monsters went away, never finding where we were hid.

I decided to do more exploration. I bravely headed out alone. I traveled some winding ways. I found a cave with a carving of a large head, about 12 feet high. It was fully stone, and upright. I thought maybe it was a slumbering stone giant that was buried up to it’s neck. Close examination revealed it was just a carved piece of rock. I also found another cave full of purple fog. I stupidly, er, doggedly entered and was soon beset by an evil and relentless mother****er with a halberd. The thing harried me as I felt my way blindly. I found two exits, one led to a very narrow hall and a metal door with no lock. I didn’t open it. The other exit led to an unfinished room and a large, very elaborate door with an elaborate lock. The unfinished room bore the same Tormic carvings on the walls, and once more they were fouled and desecrated extensively. After that discovery I managed to escape the purple fog room on the proper side and I rejoined my dear companions.

I saw that Rakor’s relic goblet healed Danjo’s tendon, but he was still hobbling around, but this time more pronounced than normal. Finally we rested a good long time and set out again, so I could show them my discoveries...

cpthero2 Posted - 11 Dec 2020 : 19:27:02
As Chaka

More Sneaking. Fighting Demons!

Who's Afraid of the Dark?

Tags: #Chauntea #daemon #death door #hezrou #oil

17 MAR 2018

Back among the kivvil again, they are trapped by a blood oath forced upon them by a Shar-damned wraith from the plane of Tartar. No doubt my Dark Lady sees him as a mentor for me. I’ve never heard of Tartar, but this spirit is clearly powerful! Weshtek was forced into the oath, but the others consented in order to prevent some greater evil. Ahh, the world is a ****ing abattoir, as I have said before. These rubes are perfect, and I will ride to power on their laboring backs. I hope to strike a deal with the wraith, to over throw the orcs and get the necklace that gives the orc priest such power!

We debated much, do we go seek the Lolth-cursed drowess, may her **** be infested with rot grubs (is it you, my sister?) or do we flirt with death with the servants of Orcus? HAHA! What a fine pickle! Rocky shoals surround us, the seas toss us back and forth, our mainmast is broken and our rudder is all we have, but the pilot is drunk and blind!! There is a saying among wise sailors who ply the Golden Water and it goes like this: “**** it!” Rivvil are so hasty, because of their short lives. I want to live, but risks must be taken to acquire true power…

Eventually it is decided that we will face the devil we know. I get all disguised up, just in case, and I venture back to the unhallow halls of Orcus’ temple. Shino created a stairway just for me! I crept silently to the room I think of as the foyer. I stayed on the ceiling and higher parts of the walls, hoping to be less noticeable and to avoid pits and traps on the floors. I looked throughout the profane temple and I found it deserted. I discovered a supply room, and three sleeping chambers. Armed with that knowledge I returned to the kivvil. I added to my map, and we planned another foray.

This time the customary tortured screams of the damned captives was absent. Nonetheless, I waited 12 full bells for some of the debased orcish priests to return. They did not.

Back we went for rest, and then we all ventured forth. Once more I would creep about, and this time, if caught, my friends would be close enough to aid me! I felt as comforted as if I rested between Chauntea’s swollen teats, as I went forward. When I neared the foyer the familiar scent of lamp oil was over powering. I looked in and saw the walls, ceiling and floor were coated with oil. Apparently my trekking along the ceilings was somehow detected… I must ponder that. Quick as a drow-bitch stabbing her brother in the back, I hasten’d back to report the development. We were talking on the stair near where it splits to the door with blinking red light (death door, we call it). I heard a woman sobbing and looked to the death door and there was a human woman, tortured beyond description and as she sobbed she touched a button on the wall and was instantly disintegrated!! Then a soul-blighted daemon appeared! Someone called it a hezrou, and it summoned smaller daemons to it! Instantly we were plunged into melee!

I tried to spell the hezrou, but it resisted my powers. We battled back and forth! Sahil magically walled the daemon from us, and it teleported to the bottom of the stair! We hacked and slashed and cast and fought! Someone, some filthy, nasty Orcus orc, no doubt, ignited the oil below, blasting up the stairs and sending heat and smoke among us. Sahil had already summoned an earth elemental and it fought well against the daemonettes, but soon the smoke started to impinge upon us. Finally stupid Danjo landed a powerful blow on the hezrou, and it fled. He pathetically flailed against the thing long enough, I thought we was quite overmatched. At least he gets lucky once in a while. We tried to retreat from the stairs but our way was blocked at the top by a magical wall covered with magical ice! Shino created a wall from the stone and blocked the smoke from billowing in. We waited three or four bells and the magical door and ice disappeared as the spell, no doubt, expired.

Everyone felt that we had only narrowly escaped death, and it was decided we should seek the drow. Surely the orcs of Orcus were planning to trap and torture us.

We returned to the room with 2 iron doors. Danjo wanted to go find a stick to play with, such a loyal hound. Nearly as smart as one, too. I cast a spell to allow him to climb walls and ceilings like a boggle. He went to the surface and returned with a stick, or rather, Malakai’s staff. Danjo then decided to creep along the ceiling over the water to try to catch a frog, or something. All eyes were on him and I could not resist! (Truthfully I did not try!) I dismissed the spider climb spell on him and he plunged, quite unexpectedly (!!) into the cold water! I nearly split my sides with laughter, as did almost everyone! Even somber Sahil let loose with a musical chuckle that reminded me just how young the lad is! Young but powerful. As Sahil grows greater in power I begin to fear what he might do if he learns my secret. He will be an immediate threat, more so than the desert sun. I may have to take steps to protect myself from him. It he falls in battle, I must ensure he does not rise again.

We rested there many bells, then back down the curling Shino stair. Off to find a drow we went. As we went along I was nervous about exploding traps, like the one that killed Makota. I most certainly don’t wish to share his fate. I used my arcanum to detect magical runes and found a secret door!! Woohoo! No doubt heaps of treasure awaits!!

We went through the illusionary secret door (illusionary wall, really) and found a long tunnel which came to a dead end. Finally at the dead end was another, much cleverer, illusionary wall. This one defied entry and detection to a much greater degree than any I have seen. Only Sahil, Danjo, and Rakor were able to go beyond it. Sahil reported a beautiful, white marble temple with eight sarcophagi. He said the beauty was beyond description. Since it was beyond my ken to penetrate the wall, I stood guard.

I have much on my mind. What spell created the stone and ice door? How did the orcs detect my intrusion? I must needs speak with the wraith to strike our deal. I will overthrow the orc high priest and claim his powers for my own...

cpthero2 Posted - 11 Dec 2020 : 19:24:38
More Sneaking. Fighting Demons!

Who's Afraid of the Dark?

Tags: #Chauntea #daemon #death door #hezrou #oil

17 MAR 2018

Back among friends again, they are trapped by a blood oath forced upon them by a Shar-damned wraith from the plane of Tartar. I’ve never heard of Tartar, but this spirit is clearly wicked! Weshtek was forced into the oath, but the others consented in order to prevent some greater evil. Ahh, the world is a ****ing abattoir, as I have said before.

We debated much, do we go seek the Lolth-cursed drowess, may her **** be infested with rot grubs, or do we flirt with death with the servants of Orcus? HAHA! What a fine pickle! Rocky shoals surround us, the seas toss us back and forth, our mainmast is broken and our rudder is all we have, but the pilot is drunk and blind!! Surely this will be our end…! There is a saying among wise sailors who ply the Golden Water and it goes like this: “**** it!”

Eventually it is decided that we will face the devil we know. I get all disguised up, just in case, and I venture back to the unhallow halls of Orcus’ temple. Shino created a stairway just for me! I crept silently to the room I think of as the foyer. I stayed on the ceiling and higher parts of the walls, hoping to be less noticeable and to avoid pits and traps on the floors. I looked throughout the profane temple and I found it deserted. I discovered a supply room, and three sleeping chambers. Armed with that knowledge I returned to my friends. I added to our map, and we planned another foray.

This time the customary tortured screams of the damned captives was absent. Nonetheless, I waited 12 full bells for some of the debased orcish priests to return. They did not.

Back we went for rest and then we all ventured forth. Once more I would creep about, and this time, if caught, my friends would be close enough to aid me! I felt as comforted as if I rested between Chauntea’s swollen teats, as I went forward. When I neared the foyer the familiar scent of lamp oil was over powering. I looked in and saw the walls, ceiling and floor were coated with oil. Apparently my trekking along the ceilings was somehow detected… I must ponder that. Quick as a silverback fleeing a shark, I hasten’d back to report the development. We were talking on the stair near where it splits to the door with blinking red light (death door, we call it). I heard a woman sobbing and looked to the death door and there was a human woman, tortured beyond description and as she sobbed she touched a button on the wall and was instantly disintegrated!! Then a soul-blighted daemon appeared! Someone called it a hezrou, and it summoned smaller daemons to it! Instantly we were plunged into melee!

I tried to spell the hezrou, but it resisted my powers. We battled back and forth! Sahil magically walled the daemon from us, and it teleported to the bottom of the stair! We hacked and slashed and cast and fought! Someone, some filthy, nasty Orcus orc, no doubt, ignited the oil below, blasting up the stairs and sending heat and smoke among us. Sahil had already summoned an earth elemental and it fought well against the daemonettes, but soon the smoke started to impinge upon us. Finally valiant Danjo landed a powerful blow on the hezrou, and it fled. We tried to retreat from the stairs but our way was blocked at the top by a magical wall covered with magical ice! Shino created a wall from the stone and blocked the smoke from billowing in. We waited three or four bells and the magical door and ice disappeared as the spell, no doubt, expired.

Everyone felt that we had only narrowly escaped death, and it was decided we should seek the drow. Surely the orcs of Orcus were planning to trap and torture us.

We returned to the room with 2 iron doors. Danjo wanted to go find a stick to play with, such a loyal hound!! I cast a spell to allow him to climb walls and ceilings like a sneaky Hin does! He went to the surface and returned with a stick, or rather, Malakai’s staff. Danjo then decided to creep along the ceiling over the water to try to catch a frog, or something. All eyes were on him and I could not resist! (Truthfully I did not try!) I dismissed the spider climb spell on him and he plunged, quite unexpectedly (!!) into the cold water! I nearly split my sides with laughter, as did almost everyone! Even somber Sahil let loose with a musical chuckle that reminded me just how young the lad is!

We rested there many bells, then back down the curling Shino stair. Off to find a drow we went. As we went along I was nervous about exploding traps, like the one that killed Makota. I miss the fellow and I most certainly don’t wish to share his fate. I used my arcanum to detect magical runes and found a secret door!! Woohoo! No doubt heaps of treasure awaits!!

We went through the illusionary secret door (illusionary wall, really) and found a long tunnel which came to a dead end. Finally at the dead end was another, much cleverer, illusionary wall. This one defied entry and detection to a much greater degree than any I have seen. Only Sahil, Danjo, and Rakor were able to go beyond it. Sahil reported a beautiful, white marble temple with eight sarcophagi. He said the beauty was beyond description. Since it was beyond my ken to penetrate the wall, I stood guard, knowing full well their lives may be in my hands!

cpthero2 Posted - 11 Dec 2020 : 19:22:26
Alone in the dark, cold, wet...

Plans to yet overcome the orcs of Orcus

09 MAR 2018

Alone in the room with two iron doors.

Cold and wet, I wait, tensely striving to hear even the slightest of sounds from the caves beyond. My body taut with tension. It seemed like several bells that I listened to the enormous orc bellowing and pounding the ground. However, using a sailor’s technique of counting moments to track time, I’m sure it was less than half a bell. His racket was truly terrifying and I felt a cold knot of stress and worry in my core.

I focused on what I needed to stay alive. I needed to remain silent, and I needed to maintain the illusion of a rock wall between me and the beach, should my tormentors come nigh. The strain of it was tiring. Eventually I fell asleep, and woke some bells later. I can only assume it was some bells later, for my eyes were no longer scratchy, and the fatigue had seeped out of my bones, but was replaced by cold. My thoughts went briefly to the scorching inferno of a desert, just 50 miles away. I thought about how it felt to have my brain boiling inside my skull. The cold was just fine…

I tested my muscles. Not bad. A bit of soreness. That asshole priest’s flail struck me a glancing blow. Thankfully my nimbleness helped me dodge the greatest force behind it. I gotta kill that soul-blighted fiend! Rather, I need to persuade his lackeys to kill him for me! That would be much safer, and to be honest, more satisfying. I know they want to kill him as badly as I want him killed. That makes me smile…

I need to come at them unseen, and take control of their minds, or at least their imagination. If I can convince them that this leader has been holding them back, or will spell their doom, or that killing him serves the true will or Orcus… that might be the way to go. As I said, they already want to do it. I just need to convince them that they can succeed and that now is the time!

What is that? I hear sounds. I hear shouts! Cries of dismay and howls of anger! Those are my friends! They are clearly angry. It’s not the orcs or orc monster, I can tell. I hear Shino screaming in agony! I can not hope to rescue them, if that orc-monster is lurking between me and they. Slowly I must creep in that direction. It’s so dark in here, but I dare not create light, lest the orc-monster come and eat me, or worse, torture me in a prolonged and horrific state! Slowly I will creep. Using all my stealth and cunning I will take one step at a time, then listen long. Then another step, and listen long…

Finally I am to the iron door. Moving slower than the sun crossing the sky, I craned me head over and peered out of the doorway. No sign of orcs. I still hear arguing and a very strange, very frightening voice. No sign of orcs. Slowly I will creep to the ankheg hole.

Ah! I hear my friends… “Good morning, Danjo! Do you yet live?”

cpthero2 Posted - 11 Dec 2020 : 19:20:14
Forgiveness and apology

Tuck has ranks in storytelling

09 FEB 2018

“I forgive you all,” Tuck muttered, not very loudly. “I understand your draw to explore and defeat evil.” Gradually his voice increased in volume. He spoke with uncharacteristic seriousness. “I feel badly that you believed I wouldn’t join you in exploration and peril. I saw no reason to face a basilisk, which I believed was in the caverns. For weeks we’ve been in this place, and it seems all we face are undead. There is practically nothing I can do to fight undead. None of my magics and none of my skills are effective them. “You went and faced such dire peril that two were killed, and I did not help, nor share in the danger. That is not who I am. I have not pulled my weight recently, and I am simply thankful that somehow Danjo and Rakor were resurrected. And you, friend Rakor, I have seen you searching for answers lately, much as you were in Assur. You appear to have found your answers. You will be a fine servant to Ilmater, in fact, he’s fortunate to have one so devout as a follower “Finally I think we face a foe, where I can be of help. They appear to be mortal men, elves, hin, whatever. I would like to go ahead of you all and scout them out. I think I can infiltrate them and discover their secrets. Mayhap, it was the gods who guided my ass, to sit on the steps while you last delved down and discovered them,” Tuck said, smiling broadly. “No offense intended, Rakor. Those cultists haven’t seen us together, so I think this is something we can use to our advantage.” “Tonight, after dinner, I will tell you another story of the sailer, Surian of the Windy Sea Rider. As you recall, it was he who saved his crew when the ship was becalmed. He ate all the beans in the ships hold and used his ‘gas’ to fill the sails and they arrived at an island of all horny women. I guess I haven’t told that one to Weshtek and Rakor. Well tonight, I will tell you of the time he fell over board during a boarding action. He couldn’t swim and he sunk to the bottom, but he came back up as a watery king wearing a pearl crown! It’s quite a good story!” Tuck walked to Danjo, and bowed at the waist, “You’re resilience is quite remarkable, Sir Danjo.”

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 22:01:45
As Chaka

The burned hand teaches best

No, means no

Tags: #basilisk #blood #petrified

19 JAN 2018

What in the name of Kelemvor did they think was going to happen? They were in a deep cave in a remote mountain range. Did they think they were going to encounter an extremely skilled sculptor?? Did they think they were about to discover a newly opened art museum with only one piece of art? Stupid kivvil!

I’m getting ahead of myself. Danjo, Shino, Rakor, Makota, Weshtek and Sahil, (Yes! even Sahil! I’m sure that because of his power and tendency to create miracles, that I get fooled into forgetting he is essentially an uneducated child, ignorant and necessary for my survival if I am to cross the Bhaal-blessed desert) decided to explore the cave where dwelt some creature that turns men to stone! For what? Were they seeking revenge for the lantern-bearer of bygone days? No! I actually think it was boredom. I was truly hoping to encourage Danjo to go defeat it on some honor quest, if he got too irritating. Damn!

So they decided to explore the cave of the basilisk. I told them I would not go. They marched off into the darkness and a quarter bell later Makota shows up and says, “Danjo wants you to come join us in the basilisk cave to help us look for the basilisk.” I thought, “Sweet tits of Umberlee! How stupid is this rivvil??” So I told Makota “No” and he left. It was not long before I heard a loud roar and I swear to the Dark Lady, that I heard Wa-nese flesh turn to stone! The sounds of battle died down, so I headed off in the darkness, checking for survivors. I just got within ear shot when I heard a much louder roar and the cries of Danjo and the rest. I withdrew. I ran to the stairs that led to this hellish place and waited ten steps up. I heard more cries of anger and despair! I heard monstrous roaring again… then silence! This time I ventured closer and I heard Weshtek call my ‘name.’

He said battle was over and he asked for my help. He said Sahil was turned to stone! Before I could join them in despair, he said with help he could restore them to life! I’ve seen miracles before and I was hoping for another. I moved down there cautiously, and saw Rakor, Makota and Sahil petrified. I saw one enormous and putrid lizard! It was remarkably similar to the one I saw forty-two years ago near the Grotto of Vanjahr. It turned several warriors to stone but my sister, the bitch fought off the effect. Now, seeing Sahil in this state, really raised my choler! I TOLD THEM NOT TO DO THIS!! I kept thinking that over and over, having little faith in Weshtek’s remedy.

Well, I’ll be dipped in roper shit! Weshtek’s trick worked and I will record it here for any who find it so spread the knowledge. Completely cover the stone victim with the basilisk blood, and gradually they are restored. Every single inch and half-inch must be coated in the blood of the foul reptile. It is a painstaking process, but it revived my three companions.

When that was done, I finally had a chance to think about what happened, how close I had been to being stuck with Danjo and without Sahil! I got so mad, I didn’t want to look at any of them, so I left without a word. I returned to our erstwhile camp, the room with two steel doors. By the time I was there the blood that covered me was dried and itching. I stripped and washed in the pool next to our camp. I made a bloody soup. I imagined Danjo floating face down, the blood flowing from a neat puncture in his neck. Someday…

Finally they returned, and all were very quiet. Finally I broke my stoic silence. Weshtek used his magic to clean off my backpack and water skin. I can’t bring myself to drink from the waterskin. I will wait to see if any of the others suffer any ill effects from it.

I’m still pissed, but I’m alive, and that’s what’s important. I plucked a gold coin from Danjo’s pack that night while he slept. I said a prayer of thanks to Tymora and tossed it into the pool, where the water flows outward. I think I will need the luck.

The next day we went to the door with a silver lock. Sahil prepared a spell to shape the stone. I created an illusionary wall over the entrance to the side passage where we need to run, if there is trouble. The illusion is of a cave wall, so hopefully we can flee through it and hide, and win a few seconds to get ahead of anything “dangerous.” As soon as Sahil shaped the stone around the door hinges, loud, booming music began to peal through the caverns. It sounded like a daemonic legion on the march! I ran and hid behind the illusionary wall. This time some of the kivvil followed me, realizing my intellect is superior to theirs. The sound did not seem to come closer, nor did any creatures pour forth, though the music seems to portend some momentous event...

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 21:59:30
The burned hand teaches best

No, means no

Tags: #basilisk #blood #petrified

19 JAN 2018

What in the name of Kelemvor did they think was going to happen? They were in a deep cave in a remote mountain range. Did they think they were going to encounter an extremely skilled sculptor?? Did they think they were about to discover a newly opened art museum with only one piece of art?

I’m getting ahead of myself. Danjo, Shino, Rakor, Makota, Weshtek and Sahil, (Yes! even wise Sahil! I’m sure that because of his great power and tendency to create miracles, that I get fooled into forgetting he is essentially an uneducated child, ignorant and wonderful) decided to explore the cave where dwelt some creature that turns men to stone! For what? Were they seeking revenge for the lantern-bearer of bygone days? No! I actually think it was boredom. Well, I’m not that bored!!

So they decided to explore the cave of the basilisk. I told them I would not go. They marched off into the darkness and a quarter bell later Makota shows up and says, “Danjo wants you to come join us in the basilisk cave to help us look for the basilisk.” I know Durpari is his second language, but I think he knew what I meant when I said, “no.” So I told Makota “No” and he left. It was not long before I heard a loud roar and I swear to Lucha, that I heard flesh turn to stone! The sounds of battle died down, so I headed off in the darkness, hoping to find the survivors. I just got within ear shot when I heard a much louder roar and the cries of Danjo and the rest. I ran again! I ran to the stairs that led to this hellish place and waited ten steps up. I heard more cries of anger and despair! I heard monstrous roaring again… then silence! This time I ventured closer and I heard Weshtek call my name.

He said battle was over and he asked for my help. He said Sahil was turned to stone! Before I could join them in despair, he said with help he could restore them to life! I’ve seen miracles before and I was hoping for another. I moved down there cautiously, and saw Rakor, Makota and Sahil petrified. I saw one enormous and putrid lizard! It was remarkably similar to the one I saw while a slave. I was thankful it turned several drow warriors to stone and I had hoped it would have done the same to the bitch that was their leader. Now, seeing companions so, it made my heart sink! I TOLD THEM NOT TO DO THIS!! I kept thinking that over and over, having little faith in Weshtek’s remedy.

I should not have doubted him! His trick worked and I will record it here for any who find it so spread the knowledge. Completely cover the stone victim with the basilisk blood, and gradually they are restored. Every single inch and half-inch must be coated in the blood of the foul reptile. It is a painstaking process, but it revived our three companions.

When that was done, I finally had a chance to think about what happened, how close I had been to being abandoned all alone in this shithole. I got so mad, I didn’t want to look at any of them, so I left without a word. I kept my feelings to myself and returned to our erstwhile home, the room with two steel doors. By the time I was there the blood that covered me was dried and itching. I stripped and washed in the pool next to our camp. I made a bloody soup.

Finally they returned, and all were very quiet. Finally I broke my stoic silence. “I’m relieved you’re not all dead,” I told them. I don’t know why I said it. Weshtek used his magic to clean off my backpack and water skin. I can’t bring myself to drink from the waterskin.

I’m still pissed.

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 21:45:27
Back in Assur

Making friends,and making money

Tags: #Maiden's Titties #Rakor #robber #Salty Dog

31 DEC 2017

Before Tuck became a brave adventurer, risking life and limb for the church, and the good of his fellow man, he enjoyed a fine lunch in the cool breeze with Rakor one day…

It was a customarily warm day, in Assur. “Thank you for joining me, Rakor!” The waiter, who was a friend of Tuck’s, had just left behind some cool fruit juice. Condensation sweated on the outside of the gold-plated goblets. The Gilded Unicorn provided a light and airy atmosphere, but with privacy from the gauzy veils draped everywhere and the musical chimes that were liberally placed around the establishment. Eaves-dropping was devilishly hard among the musical notes, (Tuck knew this from experience!)

Rakor was stiffly formal, as he had only been in Assur for just over a day. “I’m so glad for an opportunity to know someone who serves Waukeen,” Tuck continued. “I hope the rigors of sea travel were kind to you.” Soon they were nibbling on some pastry puffs and picking apart the Chultan dragonfruits which were a favorite of Tuck’s. “I’ve always thought that law was the essence of civilization,” Tuck said, “the foundation, if you will. Do you think law is more important than security? I’ve seen places where there are both, yet it was a cruel city regardless. I think you are right about trade however. If there is profit to be made in trade with a neighbor, that certainly makes killing him less attractive. However, to avoid enslavement, a people must have the strength to defend themselves. Slavery is much more attractive to the masters, than to the slaves!”

Tuck listened intently to all the half-orc emissary of Waukeen had to say. His words were wise, insightful. This was a man who had traveled far and wide, with a keen eye for details! Rakor talked about his travels, and he praised the lofty concepts of civilization. Once he was comfortable, Rakor relaxed somewhat, and seemed to enjoy the fine food and drinks.

Later Tuck strolled through the streets of Assur, speaking kindly to the many folk he knew. He gave pennies to the children, and passed silver to a young priest. Tuck knew most of the silver would go to the church, and some would go to the painted ladies near the docks, where Tuck first saved the young priest from a well-earned beating. Now Tuck enjoyed a more cordial relationship with that particular chapel to Selune…

Tuck stopped into the Salty Dog for a few ha’ pints of mead. He soon had men chuckling at his stories of various priests and nobles he happened to encounter in the halls of the Maiden’s Titties. He yawned widely, kindly accepted one more drink, then with a flourish, he toddered off to his quarters. Two bells later, no one saw the grubby gnome who crept from the roof of Tuck’s apartments. The little fella had a bad limp and very noticeable ear-hair.

The gnome caught a ride from an unaware cart-driver, riding at the far back, until a wide, sweeping turn gave him the chance to leap off and roll into the shadowy alley. Once there the gnome stalked quietly, stopping often to listen to conversations sometimes whispered, sometimes screamed. Here were lovers gasping and moaning, then a quarrel between neighbors, a wife’s scolding of here lazy man, growled threats and softly whispered prayers. The gnome came across a sleeping man, and found some silvers in the hem of the drunk’s cloak and gold in the heel of a boot. Two men robbed a third. The short, brutal melee ended when their victim fell bloody, and then the gnome uttered an arcane chant, and the attackers toppled as well, fast asleep. The gnome robbed all three, clubbing the robbers soundly first. He was now laden with goods and coin which he stashed on a rooftop, under an eaves he discovered a year ago. A great hiding place! The gnome found an open window and half a bell later a female dwarf emerged. She summoned the watch who arrested the two murderers and carried off the poor sod they had treated so roughly.

When Tuck finally took his rest that night, he counted his accomplishments. A possible friend in the church of Waukeen, a reputation as a philanthropist over on Textile Way, the goodwill of the church of Selune, a small take from the bartender at the Salty Dog, because laughing men buy more drinks, more coins than an honest man would have made that day, and two rival cutpurses would probably see the gallows by week’s end. As he drifted to sleep he thought about inviting Rakor to the theater. He seemed like a cultured sort, and Tuck wanted to be seen in fine company over near the money-lenders quarter... He would hire a runner before highsun, then visit a tailor who likes his drink...

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 21:43:16
As Chaka

Treasure from an Ogre

teamwork, and a "new" Rakor??

Tags: #lluirwood #ogre #Rakor

31 DEC 2017

We were exploring these underground passages. These people can’t be convinced to leave just now. Danjo was nearly killed by a horde of skeletons who severed his spine. He showed a decent amount of toughness to not succumb to the wound. The marvelous child Sahil saved Danjo’s stupid ass again, and Danjo decided his honor called for him to kill himself. Well, shit. Everyone else was in a tizzy and started to pray their asses off. They danced, cajoled, sacrificed, prayed and generally carried on. I tried to stay out of their way. I’ll be dipped in roper-shit if it didn’t work though! By the Mistress, some deific forms appeared and healed the warrior! What the light-loving ****? I’m sure the entity that wielded the healing power will be coming back for some form of payment from the Wa-nese soldier! That sort of “gift” always comes with chains of obligation…

So, we were in a large unfinished stone room. Two thirds of it were sunken down about ten feet with a very steep rock shelf separating the sections. In the lower section there were six sarcophagi arrayed neatly, and a closed, water-logged wooden door. I easily scaled the rough slope and painstakingly searched the room and each sarcophagus for traps. As I finished the 5th sarcophagus and was stepping away suddenly a ghostly horde of rats emerged from the stone coffin and plunged their incorporeal teeth into me! The bite was cold and painful, but agony seared me! They sapped the strength away, like tearing away a portion of my essence! These cursed undead monsters are largely immune to my magic and completely unaffected by my wiles, as they are mind-LESS. I felt panic grip me and suddenly Sahil was there! He issued forth some holy energy with obliterated the rat swarm in an instant! That young lad is worth his weight in gold! I barely had time to thank him when to formless, lightless wraiths (except for the glowing red eyes) emerged from the wall with the sodden door. They rushed at Sahil.

Shino, Danjo, Weshtek and Rakor all sallied forth to combat the incorporeal foes! I withdrew, being more than happy to let them deal with them! I knew that they would risk their lives for me, and I must carefully cultivate the relationship to see that doesn’t change. They would no more turn against me, than I would put my trust in a drow! They killed the wraiths. I need to expand my arcane repertoire, so I am not so helpless against the undead…

When it was done we were largely unscathed. Before they could get all maudlin and emotional, I set them to work. They opened and searched all the sarcophagi, and inside each was a human skeleton in very plain, rather poor-looking garb. This was strange to me. We found no treasure. This room was an enigma. What put the stone coffins in an unfinished room? Who were these people that were worthy of such interment, but garbed so drably? Sahil cast a spell on one corpse to talk to it. It spoke an unknown language. I cast a spell to understand it’s words. It asked who we are and where was it. None of us could speak it’s language and it didn’t respond to our languages. Sahil dismissed the spell.

We went and explored more. We came to a large- no, massive- bronze door with an ornate silver lock. We pondered about why the door was bronze and silver. Finally Shino surmised that bronze was used because it does not rust or “oxidize.” I suspect the lock is silver because of it’s magical properties, but that is all I can theorize. I couldn’t unlock the door with my tools so I cast Knock on it. It met with a measure of success. We decided to come bacck another day and do multiple castings of Knock in a row.

We ventured further and found many a stairway down and many rocky tunnels. There was a creek, and a huge cave with an enormous pile of bat droppings. We found a cave complex occupied by an ogre! It wielded an enormous hammer and ambushed us. It cleverly constructed stone barriers that we struggled to climb over with any speed, but it was able to easily stride over them. As I said, it ambushed Shino and me! I was too distracted to hear the great beast’s heavy breathing, and nearly lost my life for it. I must be more careful! I tried to blind it, but it had unnatural resistance to my spells! It grabbed me and tried to run off with me. Luckily for me, these companions are loyal and so they harried it with arrow, spell and weapons! It was felled as it headed down a side passage. I very happily sawed the ****ing head off the treacherous and stupid beast. I would have castrated it and strung it’s entrails from the walls, but I could see Sahil was getting upset. Like I said, I need that boy on my side, so I let it lie.

Before the ogre was killed, it spoke some word but none of us could tell what it was. We assumed it must have allies close by, for to whom else could it be speaking? We searched all over and found no allies.

We discovered a large cave and while I scouted it, I came across a petrified human holding a lantern in front of him, and he was petrified with a look of surprise on his stony face. Basilisk! I immediately fled the area and returned to my companions. I actually think Danjo and Shino wanted to go hunting the gods-damned abomination. Such foolhardiness!! Like I’ve said, they’re a powerful weapon. I just need to try not to let the weapon get broken, while I still have need of it. By Mistress, those two can be as stupid as ogres, themselves…

This whole time I have been noticing Rakor acting strangely. That miracle that took place which brought Danjo back from his self-inflicted death, the vision of the deific entity/entities, really shook him up. I just don’t want to think about it. I have nothing to say. I don’t want to die, but I don’t want the gods to know my name! Their power is so far above us. I’m small in this world, but I use my wiles and magic to overcome bigger folk. Those mean shit to a god. No thanks. I’ll be an ant: beneath their notice, thank-you-very-much!

Of course, Rakor directly serves a god (Waukeen), so he is emotionally and intellectually invested in their ways. He was moved by what he saw. I am guessing he never saw such power from Waukeen. I know he agrees philosophically with Waukeen, but this blatant interaction on our behalf… it has got his mind jammed up some how.

We finally found the ogre’s lair and there were many treasures therein! First off, a Lluirwood bow! Not only that, but a Lluirwood bow by Eborn An Welung!!! This thing along must be worth close to 1,000 PLATINUM! Plus, there were gems, a holy symbol, fancy clothes, armor, more weapons including a magical trident, and coins!! So many coins!! We set to counting and Rakor wouldn’t count the coins. He is certainly in a crisis of faith. I hope he does not forsake his alliance to Waukeen. I spent too much money on that relationship, and it will be hard to get another contact in that church. Of course, just because the tool in my hand is not what I thought, I may still have use of the “new Rakor,” especially if he develops some sort of zealotry. This must be handled with care…

Through our exploration we came across another hidden door. We had to cross a pile of excrement to find it. When we were there we heard some great roaring and booming and we decided to retreat before we encountered the source of the sounds…

So we are finally amassing wealth. I just hope Sahil and I can escape these treacherous lands so I can enjoy it! In the meantime, we are exploring and resting, and surviving… I hope we can leave soon.

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 21:41:00
Treasure from an Ogre

teamwork, and a "new" Rakor??

Tags: #lluirwood #ogre #Rakor

31 DEC 2017

We were in a large unfinished stone room. Two thirds of it were sunken down about ten feet with a very steep rock shelf separating the sections. In the lower section there were six sarcophagi arrayed neatly, and a closed, water-logged wooden door. I easily scaled the rough slope and painstakingly searched the room and each sarcophagus for traps. As I finished the 5th sarcophagus and was stepping away suddenly a ghostly horde of rats emerged from the stone coffin and plunged their incorporeal teeth into me! The bite was cold and painful, but agony seared me! They sapped the strength away, like tearing away a portion of my essence! These cursed undead monsters are largely immune to my magic and completely unaffected by my wiles, as they are mind-LESS. I felt panic grip me and suddenly Sahil was there! He issued forth some holy energy with obliterated the rat swarm in an instant! I barely had time to thank him when to formless, lightless wraiths (except for the glowing red eyes) emerged from the wall with the sodden door. They rushed at Sahil.

Shino, Danjo, Weshtek and Rakor all sallied forth to combat the incorporeal foes! I withdrew, being little more than a hindrance and a distraction. I knew that they would risk their lives for me, and I didn’t want to put them in that position. Through magical power, divine power, and grit, the undead foes were destroyed…I don’t pretend to know how it was accomplished. I am but a simple sailor, turned assistant harbormaster after all!

When it was done we were largely unscathed. Being on a mission, we quickly set to work. We searched all the sarcophagi, and inside each was a human skeleton in very plain, rather poor-looking garb. This was strange to me. We found no treasure. This room was an enigma. What put the stone coffins in an unfinished room? Who were these people that were worthy of such interment, but garbed so drably? Sahil cast a spell on one corpse to talk to it. It spoke an unknown language. I cast a spell to understand it’s words. It asked who we are and where was it. None of us could speak it’s language and it didn’t respond to our languages. Sahil dismissed the spell.

We went and explored more. We came to a large- no, massive- bronze door with an ornate silver lock. We pondered about why the door was bronze and silver. Finally Shino surmised that bronze was used because it does not rust or “oxidize.” I suspect the lock is silver because of it’s magical properties, but that is all I can theorize. I couldn’t unlock the door with my tools so I cast Knock on it. It met with a measure of success. We decided to come bacck another day and do multiple castings of Knock in a row.

We ventured further and found many a stairway down and many rocky tunnels. There was a creek, and a huge cave with an enormous pile of bat droppings. We found a cave complex occupied by an ogre! It wielded an enormous hammer and ambushed us. It cleverly constructed stone barriers that we struggled to climb over with any speed, but it was able to easily stride over them. As I said, it ambushed Shino and me! I tried to blind it, but it had unnatural resistance to my spells! It grabbed me and tried to run off with me. Luckily for me, my companions are loyal and so they harried it with arrow, spell and weapons! It was felled as it headed down a side passage. It spoke some word but none of us could tell what it was. We assumed it must have allies close by, for to whom else could it be speaking? We searched all over and found no allies.

We discovered a large cave and while I scouted it, I came across a petrified human holding a lantern in front of him, and he was petrified with a look of surprise on his stony face. Basilisk! I immediately fled the area and returned to my companions. I actually think Danjo and Shino wanted to go hunting the gods-damned abomination. Just when I was starting to really respect them…wow! They are valiant for sure, just… foolish, I guess.

This whole time I have been noticing Rakor acting strangely. That miracle that took place which brought Danjo back from his self-inflicted death, the vision of the deific entity/entities, really shook him up. I just don’t want to think about it. I have nothing to say. I don’t want to die, but I don’t want the gods to know my name! Their power is so far above us. I’m small in this world, but I use my wiles and magic to overcome bigger folk. Those mean shit to a god. No thanks. I’ll be an ant: beneath their notice, thank-you-very-much!

Of course, Rakor directly serves a god (Waukeen), so he is emotionally and intellectually invested in their ways. He was moved by what he saw. I am guessing he never saw such power from Waukeen. I know he agrees philosophically with Waukeen, but this blatant interaction on our behalf… it has got his mind jammed up some how.

We finally found the ogre’s lair and there were many treasures therein! First off, a Lluirwood bow! Not only that, but a Lluirwood bow by Eborm An Welung!!! This thing along must be worth close to 1,000 PLATINUM! Plus, there were gems, a holy symbol, fancy clothes, armor, more weapons including a magical trident, and coins!! So many coins!! We set to counting and Rakor wouldn’t count the coins.

So strange for a trader and servant of Waukeen. He prayed to Waukeen on Danjo’s behalf, sacrificing coin to do so. I know coins are close to his faith, or the faith he once had. Rakor also refused to each magically summoned food. He is certainly in a crisis of faith. I hope he does not forsake his alliance to Waukeen. God’s don’t appreciate being dropped like a hot rock! I don’t know how Waukeen’s wrath might manifest…

Through our exploration we came across another hidden door. We had to cross a pile of excrement to find it. When we were there we heard some great roaring and booming and we decided to retreat before we encountered the source of the sounds…

So we are finally amassing wealth. I just hope we can escape these treacherous lands and enjoy it! In the meantime, we are exploring and resting, and surviving… I hope we can leave soon.

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 19:05:58
As Chaka

Back underground.

Ankhegs, Weshtek, and a Shadow

03 DEC 2017

On my campanions fought! The newcomer, Rakor, looked into a side-chamber and I did the same. There was a sarcophagus inside, with desecrated Tormish writing on it. No doubt it was looted by the desecrators. I heard cries of despair and looked back into the main chamber where the battle raged. I saw Sahil surrounded by the restless dead, and surely near to death! I still need him to survive! In a desperate act I shouted the command word for the holy staff I carried since we found it by the assassin vine. I knew it would obliterate the undead, and maybe harm the fountain too.

The searing light that exploded in the room was beyond the bright sun at noon in the desert! It was white hot and it burned my eyes and my exposed skin! It probably killed all my fleas! I reeled, dropping the staff and momentarily forgetting where I was. WHAT THE ****??? I was too rusty! It’s been a very long time since I wielded such fell magics…back in my other life. There were cries from the rivvil…of pain? Despair? I cared not, so I opened my eyes and the world was all dark! It was not the dark of the deep underground. It was not the dark of a black cloud. It was utter, complete, and implacable nothingness. Slowly the realization sunk in. I was blind. I blinded myself with the spell. I have spent weeks in utter darkness! This was nothing to me. From the complaints I could hear, I blinded everyone else and nearly killed some. I heard Rakor’s voice. He told us the skeletons were all destroyed. He took control. He took me by the collar and led me away. I followed him calmly. We ended up in the room we passed earlier. We decided it had been the chamber of the care-taker. We locked the door, and started to talk of werewolves.

It was Makota who brought them up. We started to think about how we could defend ourselves in the werewolves tracked us here. It was as obvious as a frigate among sloops, we had no chance of surviving that fight. We decided our best bet was to disguise the cave entrance as the den of a dire bear…a bigger predator than a werewolf, and hope they wouldn’t come in. We gathered foul blood that sprayed from the fountain using Malakai’s old shirt. I cast a spell to disguise the cave front and I sat “watch.” I concentrated on the illusion for bell upon bell. I’ve never tried to sit and maintain an illusion for so long. Thank you, dear sister, for teaching me to concentrate! Bitch. Makota stood watch outside and passed us a signal when the werewolves showed up. I created growling sounds of a dire bear, (I remember the sound quite well). Soon Makota was among us and he said the wolves had left.

When I woke the next day, I had forgotten I was blind, until I opened my eyes and could not see! It was cold, and I was shivering. I know Sahil was blind. He was talking, praying, when suddenly his voice…changed… somehow, it took on a deeper timbre, it was more resonant. His words became unintelligible, and somehow “more holy.” I was enrapt by the sound, then his hand, or rather, a hand, rested on my shoulder and another draped across my eyes. Slowly light appeared at the far limits of my sight. Gradually, around the edges, the light filled my vision more and more. Sahil restored my sight, and the sight of everyone else! Maybe Sahil was merely a vessel, or maybe he was the well itself, but it’s a sure bet Shar would not have saved anyone. That’s not her way. I’m glad to have Sahil as a companion. I’ve never concerned myself with matters of the gods. They piss on us, and can piss off themselves, for all I care.

After resting fully we decided to explore deeper into the caves. I cast a spell to reveal secret doors and discovered one right outside the door of our room. We passed it many times but it was cunningly wrought. Only the magic of my spell was able to make it obvious. We opened the door and suddenly skeletons appeared around us in the hallway. Sahil, Rakor and I quickly raced into the newly revealed hallway. Seeing how narrow it was, I knew it was the perfect choke point. I remember how to fight in tunnels. I knew that one good fighter like Danjo, with support from Sahil and Shino, could stand in the gap and defeat the nearly mindless skeletons one-by-one with little danger to himself.

Apparently the rivvil from Waa are ignorant to such tactics, or, they see me only as a person who needs protecting. They ignored my suggestions for them to enter the passageway and fight one at a time. As a result they were being attacked on both sides by skeletons. Makota was next to enter the secret passage, after Rakor and Sahil headed further in to explore an escape route. Unfortunately for Makota, there was another cunningly wrought creation, but this time it was a wickedly built pit trap 30 feet deep! Rakor fell unconscious at the bottom and slowly the doors of the trap started to ratchet closed.

I made an incredible effort to divine the working of the contraption but some unseen power prevented me from disabling it. Thinking quickly Sahil formed the shape of a tree and fell into the gap of the closing trap door. While the unthinking brutes in the hallway battled the skeletons, I nimbly crept under the trap doors and discovered how to defeat the trap. I called for Rakor, who gave me a hammer from his backpack and I finally disabled the trap door. I was able to barely make out Makota’s unmoving form. Finally, after a fight that was much harder than it needed to be, Danjo and Shino defeated the skeletons and came into the passage. Not before Shino got his heel tendon cut! I’m really couldn’t care less about them personally, but I still need strong fighters around me. Besides, I’m itching to kill someone. Too much time from the city, where drunks and beggars are plentiful, I’ve got skills I need to keep SHARP! Given the right circumstances, I could take out Shino, or Makota, and no one would be the wiser, though Shino is still pretty helpful… Anyway, We rigged a rope around Sahil’s form and he changed from a tree, back into himself. Then I lowered myself down to Makota and gave him a healing potion and we were both lifted from the pit!

As we sat, breathing heavily and taking stock of our situation, Rakor said he found a doorway not 75 feet away. He said it had strange writing and torches that lit by themselves at his approach. We also discovered some levers just inside the secret door that had concealed our passage. They levers opened and closed the secret door, and reset the trapdoors. Realizing this passage was very cleverly hidden and might protect us should the werewolves overcome their fear of the “dire bear,” we closed the secret door and delved deeper. No shit, there was a heavy iron door with a very good lock on it. I was able to unlock it with my special tools and we discovered an empty cave beyond. We entered the cave and saw an iron cross-bar with which we could bar the heavy iron door. PERFECT! This should keep those werewolves out, should they discover the secret door!

The cave was small, with two visible exits. One was a similar iron door, and the other was a small waterway. Looking into the darkness with a spell of illumination we observed some human-size frog-like creatures in the water. The fled from sight, luckily. I’m sure if I had suggested we stand on the shore and fight the frogs, Danjo and Shino would have waded in over their heads and drowned.

Makota attempted some surgery on Shino’s leg, and Danjo went into a fervent prayer that lasted hours, it seemed. Suddenly we were all in some sort of shadow world. We appeared before strange creatures. I’ve not seen the like since, I was in my home in the Underdark. This place reminds me of the home of Shar, the god who comes closest to getting my “worship.” There were tiny fey beasties all over in this mushroom forest. They seemed to thrive on suffering, which Shino certainly was doing. There was a strange woman on a cruel throne. I think we saw an image she wanted us to see, not her true form. She said she would heal Shino, but he would have a debt to pay. Shino is becoming more of a liability. But, like I said before, I don’t meddle with gods, or fey, if I can avoid it. Suddenly we were back in the cave. Oh joy…

So we were back in the cave. We were debating on our course of action, when we heard a voice beyond the iron door which we discovered in this room. The voice asked if we were spirits. I did not reply. Sahil and Shino, I think, did. They said “no, are you?” Then we heard nothing. Makota really wanted to explore down the waterway and get the hell out of the caves and away from the werewolves. I cast a spell on him to allow him to walk on the ceiling like a spider. He really liked that. He explored the waterway and said it only goes another 30 feet or so, and there is an underwater tunnel going into darkness. He went into that tunnel to explore.

We decided that we weren’t ready to flee, so we opened the iron door and ventured down to a T-intersection. We could hear a voice with a strange accent telling us he was tied in a pit and giant insects underground were hunting for him. It sounded like a trap. That damn Makota got us all jumpy by talking about a creature called a leucrotta that mimics voices and lures fools to their death. Well, the more it talked the more I realized it was a Chultan accent mixed with a Calishite accent. No damn leucrotta would know that shit. We finally found him, a human with very dark brown skin, chain in a pit surrounded by ankegs! We fought the ankhegs. I got in close and stunned some with a spell, then I removed his shackles amid the battle! It was exhilerating, but I don’t want to do that much more often! He calls himself Weshteck, and he seems to be a formidable fighter and spellcaster.

As we were recovering from that battle, the air got suddenly cold! A dark, shadowy form emerged from the stone floor and attacked Makota! We fled back to the room and barred the door, then it attacked through the door! We fell back and I started looking real close at the waterway! Somehow Rakor, Shino and Sahil used their powers to destroy the shadow. I examined Makota and he was near death. He couldn’t even hold up is head. Then we heard some werewolves (that’s what I assume) come down the stairs and bash on the barred door. I was ready to flee at that point, back into the cave where the shadow came from, because we can bar that door behind us. Plus, if we went in the water, Makota would drown.

The rivvil convinced me that the creatures on the other side, would not possess the power required to bend the steel bars that hold the iron door closed. We decided to rest and a few bells later the werewolves left. I really hope they don’t wait around for us. For now, we rest. Sahil has said he can supply us with food indefinitely. We have fresh water. We can stay here awhile. Makota had earlier suggested we wait until the leucrotta starved to death. I think Weshteck is glad we didn’t take that advice! I have suddenly decided, I’m not ready to go back into the Underdark. Never know when some Lolth-forsaken drow will show up and start torturing. No thanks. I think I’ve had enough of these caves. I hope I can convince these idiots to leave… Maybe with Danjo or Shino dead the other will be more tractable… Right now, I think I can convince Makota, and surely Weshteck has no reason to stay...

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 19:03:50
Back underground.

Ankhegs, Weshtek, and a Shadow

03 DEC 2017

On my companions fought! The newcomer, Rakor, looked into a side-chamber and I did the same. There was a sarcophagus inside, with desecrated Tormish writing on it. No doubt it was looted by the desecrators. I heard cries of despair and looked back into the main chamber where the battle raged. I saw Sahil surrounded by the restless dead, and surely near to death! They would have chopped him to bits. In a desperate act I shouted the command word for the holy staff I carried since we found it by the assassin vine. It had saved us from the foul demons that turned Danjo and Shino to jelly, and back again. This time I called upon it’s greatest spell. I knew it would obliterate the undead, and maybe harm the fountain too.

The searing light that exploded in the room was beyond the bright sun at noon in the desert! It was white hot and it burned my eyes and my exposed skin! It probably killed all my fleas! I reeled, dropping the staff and momentarily forgetting where I was. There were cries from my companions…of pain? Despair? I knew not, so I opened my eyes and the world was all dark! It was not the dark of the deep underground. It was not the dark of a black cloud. It was utter, complete, and implacable nothingness. Slowly the realization sunk in. I was blind. I blinded myself with the spell. From the complaints I could hear, I blinded everyone else and nearly killed some. I heard Rakor’s voice. He told us the skeletons were all destroyed. He took control. He took me by the collar and led me away. I followed him…blindly! We ended up in the room we passed earlier. We decided it had been the chamber of the care-taker. We locked the door, and started to talk of werewolves.

It was Makota who brought them up. We started to think about how we could defend ourselves in the werewolves tracked us here. It was as obvious as a frigate among sloops, we had no chance of surviving that fight. We decided our best bet was to disguise the cave entrance as the den of a dire bear…a bigger predator than a werewolf, and hope they wouldn’t come in. We gathered foul blood that sprayed from the fountain using Malakai’s old shirt. I cast a spell to disguise the cave front and I sat “watch.” I concentrated on the illusion for bell upon bell. I’ve never tried to sit and maintain an illusion for so long. Makota stood watch outside and passed us a signal when the werewolves showed up. I created growling sounds of a dire bear, (I remember the sound quite well). Soon Makota was among us and he said the wolves had left.

The next day I woke in a cold sweat. I dreamed of the port in Assur, and collecting fees from incoming ships. When I woke, I had forgotten I was blind, until I opened my eyes and could not see. Then the cold sweat broke out and I think I was shaking. I know Sahil was blind. He was talking, praying, when suddenly his voice…changed… somehow, it took on a deeper timbre, it was more resonant. His words became unintelligible, and somehow “more holy.” I was enrapt by the sound, then his hand, or rather, a hand, rested on my shoulder and another draped across my eyes. Slowly light appeared at the far limits of my sight. Gradually, around the edges, the light filled my vision more and more. Holy Chauntea, Curna, and Ilmater!! Sahil restored my sight, and the sight of everyone else! Maybe Sahil was merely a vessel, or maybe he was the well itself! It’s beyond me to know, and I’ve never concerned myself with matters of the gods.

After resting fully we decided to explore deeper into the caves. I cast a spell to reveal secret doors and discovered one right outside the door of our room! We passed it many times but it was cunningly wrought. Only the magic of my spell was able to make it obvious. We opened the door and suddenly skeletons appeared around us in the hallway. Sahil, Rakor and I quickly raced into the newly revealed hallway. Seeing how narrow it was, I knew it was the perfect choke point. I knew that one might fighter like Danjo, with support from Sahil and Shino, could stand in the gap and defeat the nearly mindless skeletons one-by-one with little danger to himself.

Apparently the pair from Waa are ignorant to such tactics, or, they see me only as a person who needs protecting. They ignored my suggestions for them to enter the passageway and fight one at a time. As a result they were being attacked on both sides by skeletons. Makota was next to enter the secret passage, after Rakor and Sahil headed further in to explore an escape route. Unfortunately for Makota, there was another cunningly wrought creation, but this time it was a wickedly built pit trap 30 feet deep! Rakor fell unconscious at the bottom and slowly the doors of the trap started to ratchet closed.

I made an incredible effort to divine the working of the contraption but some unseen power prevented me from disabling it. Thinking quickly Sahil formed the shape of a tree and fell into the gap of the closing trap door! While the unthinking brutes in the hallway battled the skeletons, I nimbly crept under the trap doors and discovered how to defeat the trap. I called for Rakor, who gave me a hammer from his backpack and I finally disabled the trap door. I was able to barely make out Makota’s unmoving form. Finally, after a fight that was much harder than it needed to be, Danjo and Shino defeated the skeletons and came into the passage. Not before Shino got his heel tendon cut! I’m really glad they decided to ignore my sound tactical advice. Otherwise he would never have experienced the pain of a severed tendon. Anyway, We rigged a rope around Sahil’s form and he changed from a tree, back into himself. Then I lowered myself down to Makota and gave him a healing potion and we were both lifted from the pit!

As we sat, breathing heavily and taking stock of our situation, Rakor said he found a doorway not 75 feet away. He said it had strange writing and torches that lit by themselves at his approach. We also discovered some levers just inside the secret door that had concealed our passage. They levers opened and closed the secret door, and reset the trapdoors. Realizing this passage was very cleverly hidden and might protect us should the werewolves overcome their fear of the “dire bear,” we closed the secret door and delved deeper. No shit, there was a heavy iron door with a very good lock on it. I was able to unlock it with my special tools and we discovered an empty cave beyond. We entered the cave and saw an iron cross-bar with which we could bar the heavy iron door. PERFECT! This should keep those werewolves out, should they discover the secret door!

The cave was small, with two visible exits. One was a similar iron door, and the other was a small waterway. Looking into the darkness with a spell of illumination we observed some human-size frog-like creatures in the water. The fled from sight, luckily. I’m sure if I had suggested we stand on the shore and fight the frogs, Danjo and Shino would have waded in over their heads and drowned.

Makota attempted some surgery on Shino’s leg, and Danjo went into a fervent prayer that lasted hours, it seemed. Suddenly we were all in some sort of shadow world. We appeared before strange creatures. I’ve not seen the like since, you-know-when and I was a prisoner of you-know. There were tiny fey beasties all over in this mushroom forest. They seemed to thrive on suffering, which Shino certainly was doing. There was a strange woman on a cruel throne. I think we saw an image she wanted us to see, not her true form. She said she would heal Shino, but he would have a debt to pay. I was just glad to have him healed again. Like I said before, I don’t meddle with gods, or fey, if I can avoid it. Suddenly we were back in the cave. Oh joy…

So we were back in the cave. We were debating on our course of action, when we heard a voice beyond the iron door which we discovered in this room. The voice asked if we were spirits. I did not reply. Sahil and Shino, I think, did. They said “no, are you?” Then we heard nothing. Makota really wanted to explore down the waterway and get the hell out of the caves and away from the werewolves. I cast a spell on him to allow him to walk on the ceiling like a spider. He really liked that. He explored the waterway and said it only goes another 30 feet or so, and there is an underwater tunnel going into darkness. He went into that tunnel to explore.

We decided that we weren’t ready to flee, so we opened the iron door and ventured down to a T-intersection. We could hear a voice with a strange accent telling us he was tied in a pit and giant insects underground were hunting for him. It sounded like a trap. That damn Makota got us all jumpy by talking about a creature called a leucrotta that mimics voices and lures fools to their death. Well, the more it talked the more I realized it was a Chultan accent mixed with a Calishite accent. No damn leucrotta would know that shit. We finally found him, a human with very dark brown skin, chain in a pit surrounded by ankegs! We fought the ankhegs. I got in close and stunned some with a spell, then I removed his shackles amid the battle! It was exhilerating, but I don’t want to do that much more often! He calls himself Weshteck, and he seems to be a formidable fighter and spellcaster.

As we were recovering from that battle, the air got suddenly cold! A dark, shadowy form emerged from the stone floor and attacked Makota! We fled back to the room and barred the door, then it attacked through the door! We fell back and I started looking real close at the waterway! Somehow Rakor, Shino and Sahil used their powers to destroy the shadow. I examined Makota and he was near death. He couldn’t even hold up is head. Then we heard some werewolves (that’s what I assume) come down the stairs and bash on the barred door. I was ready to flee at that point, back into the cave where the shadow came from, because we can bar that door behind us. Plus, if we went in the water, Makota would drown.

My companions convinced me that the creatures on the other side, would not possess the power required to bend the steel bars that hold the iron door closed. We decided to rest and a few bells later the werewolves left. I really hope they don’t wait around for us. For now, we rest. Sahil has said he can supply us with food indefinitely. We have fresh water. We can stay here awhile. Makota had earlier suggested we wait until the leucrotta starved to death. I think Weshteck is glad we didn’t take that advice!

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 19:01:49
As Chaka

Death of Malakai

March of the blind

Tags: #explosion #fountain #Malakai #obelisk #rune #skeleton

05 NOV 2017

After a long day searching the shrines of Torm and the Red Knight my companions and I settled down to rest. It was a very profitable day, since the shrines yielded 31 scrolls and 5 healing potions. Very nice indeed! That is the sort of treasure I can carry myself, if something was to happen to my companions.

We woke the next day to incessant howling of what we assume to be werewolves. These worry me greatly. I fretted about them all morning as we discussed our plans. I suggested we go to the location of the burial grounds which we saw on a map. That was back upstream in the direction from whence we came. As we talked, I noticed a shadow in the doorway to the shrine. I called everyone to alert and soon discovered we had an interloper in our midst. I was quite surprised, to discover it appeared to be Rakor Blakthorn from the church of Waukeen, in Assur. He said he was trying to open trade and encourage civilization on behalf of his patron amongst the savages and natives of the hinterlands. I was very pleased to discover it was not an illusion or changling, but seems to be Rakor himself! He said he had many difficulties in his travels (as I can well imagine, I remembered the beast that slew the heavily armored paladins). He decided to join our band, after I made introductions. I tried to set everyone at-ease by telling them I’m familiar with Rakor. My efforts in Assur to sway him were steadily making progress. It’s not the type of process that can be rushed.

I remember his arrival in Assur on the Kestrel’s Wing. He was not the most noteworthy passenger, but I immediately saw his mid-level station as a launching point for an ambitious person. He might be quite useful, if I could loosen his tongue and learn his secrets, or gain his confidence. I invited him to dine with me. I showed him the places to eat and wench safely, and did my best to help him get established in his new city. It’s always good to have friends these days, especially those in the church of Waukeen!

Sahil determined that very cold weather was about to set it. We ruminated on the briefly, but I was still fretting about the wolves and decided to scout them out. I left the rivvil in safety and ventured to the woods. I could hear werewolves all around me, and I took steps to mask my scent. Finally I got closer and I got the strong suspicion that I was detected. I began to creep away, and a huge, vicious beast, half-man half wolf came after me! He looked ravenous, but I tricked him into thinking his master was calling. He left in response to “his master’s call” and I hastened from the woods. Never losing my cool, I kept up a rapid pace. Soon, I had three of the beasts after me! Again, always in control, I continued with my rapid advance in the direction of my companions. I made back to the shrines and found my companions all looking in the direction from whence I came. They seemed worried. I saw three of the man-wolves running toward us then they stopped. They paced back and forth, growling, then they retreated to the woods.

I suggested we leave the shrines under the cover of darkness, but Malakai was afraid the darkness would hinder us more than the wolves, and no one besides me thought the wolves would follow us. We left upstream after highsun, and it was not long before the weather turned bitterly cold. So cold, in fact, that we found a lizardman dead from it, and an enormous constrictor snake frozen completely to a tree branch!

As we turned west from the main river we were approached by a blue sprite. She warned us that we were being watched, and she was quite threatening. I felt threatened. After she left, three more sprites emerged from trees and I realized there were many more of them than I expected. I was very tempted to kill the first sprite. I’m sure I could explain it away to the others, but I don’t like the way the first sprite we met played me the fool. Besides, I have other plans, and someone is going to have to die for them…

The snow was blowing heavily and it was very cold, of course, we were all protected from the low temperature with divine magic. We struggled to find a wanderer’s tree, and the snow was way past my waist! Danjo carried me above the snow, since he’s not much good for anything else. We finally used our tents to create a barrier from the wind and we waited out the storm. After another day-and-a-half the storm subsided and we got bright clear skies. We continued following our map and eventually found a steep hillside with a carven arched doorway flanked by two massive stone obelisks fifteen feet high and five feet on a side. They were blackened as if from flame and were heavily desecrated just like the two temples in the valley. We glanced around and headed into the cave beyond the stone archway. It was worked stone floors, walls and ceiling. Fifteen feet inside was some sort of protective rune that exploded violently on Danjo and Shino! Simultaneously the two stone obelisks exploded in fire and force on everyone else! We were all deafened from the blast, and some were slightly stunned. I cast invisibility on myself and looked around. Malakai’s head was penetrated by a large piece of stone, and blood gushed all over the scorched ground. I was gratified to see him dead. I reached up and touched the scar on my ear. I got this because of his stupidity. I was satisfied with the outcome. Haha! Setibyr would be proud of how I hold a grudge! Patience is a virtue. It might be my only one!

Everyone else realized that Malachi was dead. They got Malachi cleaned up and moved inside, after I belatedly checked the passageway for more traps. There were none. Sadness fell over everyone. Focusing on work, I headed into the complex. I needed to hide my pleasure from the others and it was a relief from the wet ground. I searched down the main passage, coming to a side room then I continued to a very large room about 70 feet by 80 feet. There were two passages exiting each of the other three walls. The space was completely dominated by a huge dry fountain. The main bowl of the fountain had a larged winged man and above him another bowl of the fountain rested on the tips of the wings. Using light spells and dancing lights Shino and I looked it all over. There was a large, indecipherable rune on the fountain. I cast a spell to comprehend language, but it was of no help. Then I cast a spell to read magic words and it was no help.

Finally I stepped into the room and suddenly the fountain was full of roiling blood. It didn’t fill with blood, it was full of blood! Then a loud booming sound began, and screams, and four skeletons launched from the fountain and came at us! I ran back and Shino drenched them in flame while Danjo, Sahil, Makoto and Rakor all came to join us. They defeated the skeletons and I stayed as far from danger as I could, without being to obvious. Then the ignorant rivvil walked into the room. Four more skeletons came forth. We destroyed them, and four more came forth! The bizarre rune pulsed with an evil light and menacing words echoed over and over: “You will die here and your soul will be trapped here forever to serve the purposes of our dark lord!”

The skeletons keep coming on...

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 18:59:21
Death of Malakai

March of the blind

Tags: #explosion #fountain #Malakai #obelisk #rune #skeleton

05 NOV 2017

After a long day searching the shrines of Torm and the Red Knight my companions and I settled down to rest. It was a very profitable day, since the shrines yielded 31 scrolls and 5 healing potions. Very nice indeed! The scrolls are divine in nature, which makes sense. Luckily we have several casters of divine magic, most noteworthy being the humble Sahil.

We woke the next day to incessant howling of what we assume to be werewolves. These worry me greatly. I fretted about them all morning as we discussed our plans. I suggested we go to the location of the burial grounds which we saw on a map. That was back upstream in the direction from whence we came. As we talked, I noticed a shadow in the doorway to the shrine. I called everyone to alert and soon discovered we had an interloper in our midst. I was quite surprised, to discover it appeared to be Rakor Blakthorn from the church of Waukeen, in Assur. He said he was trying to open trade and encourage civilization on behalf of his patron amongst the savages and natives of the hinterlands. I was very pleased to discover it was not an illusion or changling, but seems to be Rakor himself! He said he had many difficulties in his travels (as I can well imagine, the painful sting of remembering Setibyr and Enalda still festers). He decided to join our band, after I made introductions. I tried to set everyone at-ease by telling them I’m familiar with Rakor.

I remember his arrival in Assur on the Kestrel’s Wing. He was not the most noteworthy passenger, but I immediately saw his wit and invited him to dine with me. I showed him the places to eat and wench safely, and did my best to help him get established in his new city. It’s always good to have friends these days, in fact, civilization depends upon it!

Sahil determined that very cold weather was about to set it. We ruminated on the briefly, but I was still fretting about the wolves and decided to scout them out. I left my friends in safety and ventured to the woods. I could hear them all around me, and I took steps to mask my scent. Finally I got closer and I got the strong suspicion that I was detected. I began to creep away, and a huge, vicious beast, half-man half wolf came after me! He looked ravenous, but I tricked him into thinking his master was calling. He left in response to “his master’s call” and I hastened from the woods. Never losing my cool, I kept up a rapid pace. Soon, I had three of the beasts after me! Again, always in control, I continued with my rapid advance in the direction of my companions. I made back to the shrines and found my companions all looking in the direction from whence I came. They seemed worried. I saw three of the man-wolves running toward us then they stopped. They paced back and forth, growling, then they retreated to the woods.

I suggested we leave the shrines under the cover of darkness, but Malakai was afraid the darkness would hinder us more than the wolves, and no one besides me thought the wolves would follow us. We left upstream after highsun, and it was not long before the weather turned bitterly cold. So cold, in fact, that we found a lizardman dead from it, and an enormous constrictor snake frozen completely to a tree branch!

As we turned west from the main river we were approached by a blue sprite. She warned us that we were being watched, and she was quite threatening. I felt threatened. After she left, three more sprites emerged from trees and I realized there were many more of them than I expected.

The snow was blowing heavily and it was very cold, of course, we were all protected from the low temperature with divine magic. We struggled to find a wanderer’s tree, and the snow was way past my waist! Danjo carried me above the snow, which I appreciated very much. We finally used our tents to create a barrier from the wind and we waited out the storm. After another day-and-a-half the storm subsided and we got bright clear skies. We continued following our map and eventually found a steep hillside with a carven arched doorway flanked by two massive stone obelisks fifteen feet high and five feet on a side. They were blackened as if from flame and were heavily desecrated just like the two temples in the valley. We glanced around and headed into the cave beyond the stone archway. It was worked stone floors, walls and ceiling. Fifteen feet inside was some sort of protective rune that exploded violently on Danjo and Shino! Simultaneously the two stone obelisks exploded in fire and force on everyone else! We were all deafened from the blast, and some were slightly stunned. I cast invisibility on myself and looked around. Malakai’s head was penetrated by a large piece of stone, and blood gushed all over the scorched ground.

Sadly we realized that Malachi was dead. We got Malachi cleaned up and moved inside, after I belatedly checked the passageway for more traps. There were none. Sadness fell over everyone. Focusing on work, I headed into the complex. I searched down the main passage, coming to a side room then I continued to a very large room about 70 feet by 80 feet. There were two passages exiting each of the other three walls. The space was completely dominated by a huge dry fountain. The main bowl of the fountain had a larged winged man and above him another bowl of the fountain rested on the tips of the wings. Using light spells and dancing lights Shino and I looked it all over. There was a large, indecipherable rune on the fountain. I cast a spell to comprehend language, but it was of no help. Then I cast a spell to read magic words and it was no help.

Finally I stepped into the room and suddenly the fountain was full of roiling blood. It didn’t fill with blood, it was full of blood! Then a loud booming sound began, and screams, and four skeletons launched from the fountain and came at us! I ran back and Shino drenched them in flame while Danjo, Sahil, Makoto and Rakor all came to join us. We defeated the skeletons and walked into the room. Four more skeletons came forth. We destroyed them, and four more came forth! The bizarre rune pulsed with an evil light and menacing words echoed over and over: “You will die here and your soul will be trapped her forever to serve the purposes of our dark lord!”

The skeletons keep coming on...

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 18:57:07
As Chaka: Journal of Chaka

Journal from the September Session

Discovery of 2 Desecrated Shrines

Tags: #desecrated #Red Knight #shrine #Torm

25 OCT 2017

The weather turned decidedly wet! It reminded me of some squalls I rode out when I plied the coast on the Goldwater Queen under Captain Dornather. To be sure, after the hellish desert, this downpour is very welcome. They gray skies and gray mood settled heavily on my companions, especially the spellcaster Malakai. I played the maudlin fool over the thankfully dead paladins. I think they believe me as grief-stricken as the rest. I hope these fools are hardy enough to stand between me and any threats.

I decided to use the cover of the rain and clouds to sneak about and get the lay of the land. I spent hours outside the tent away from the bickering and complaining. These soft kivvil know nothing of deprivation and discomfort! Mayhap I will have a chance to instruct them, as my sister instructed me. I found a stream and the water flowed more-or-less in an easterly direction.

The high winds had subsided and we all started on our way following the creek-now-river. The water swelled at the banks and we followed it for days. Finally we crossed with Sahil’s magic and by working together. We finally came to a beautiful and serene part of the valley that was marked by several very large stone buildings. I’ve always preferred wood or brick, but no one can deny that a huge stone structure speaks of wealth and power.

We cautiously circled the buildings looking for tracks and signs of occupation or use. Our searches yielded nothing. Then we looked inside. The buildings were centuries old and had been abandoned for a very long time. In each one was a large statue. One statue of Torm and one statue of the Red Knight. These weak demi-gods are like nothing before Shar! They both unwittingly serve her purposed! Each of these different shrines, however, was completely desecrated with unholy writing, symbols, feces, and filth. While investigating the statues and the surrounding area we set off several warding glyphs. We also were attacked by a horde of undead skeletons, which we were able to defeat. We searched in a copse of trees near the shrines and found many shallow graves.

In the Shrine of Torm we discovered a clue to a hidden room, but we could not discern the answer to open it. We discovered a similar clue at the Shrine of the Red Knight but we correctly interpreted it and we found a secret stairway. Danjo and I were unable to descend, and Sahil seemed bothered by this. I hope he stays pliable and maintains a view of neutrality toward the extremes of temperament and morality. I think he is still useful.

Now, as they explore below and I wait here with the warrior Danjo, I keep wondering. What is so important about this location? What secrets are here? We certainly haven’t found anything of vital importance, or if we have, we have failed to recognize it. Surely if we spend enough time here we can learn the important secrets that the dwarf was hinting at, shortly before his murder. This could be a source of wealth and power! I just need to discover it, and make sure enough companions survive to get me safely from this place.

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 18:54:49
Journal from the September Session

Discovery of 2 Desecrated Shrines

Tags: #desecrated #Red Knight #shrine #Torm

25 OCT 2017

The weather turned decidedly wet! It reminded me of some squalls I rode out when I plied the coast on the Goldwater Queen under Captain Dornather. To be sure, after the hellish desert, this downpour is very welcome. They gray skies and gray mood settled heavily on my stalwart companions, especially the newcomer Malakai. The loss of Setibyr and Enalda still weighs heavy on us all, and I thought, nay felt, this was an opportune time for us to remember the beautiful twins, and to grieve a bit. From my days at sea I know a crew needs time to remember the fallen.

I started talking about the twins, and my fond memories, and debt of gratitude. Soon everyone was listening, then one by one, like the desert flowers I saw, they opened up in the rain. We had a good remembrance of them.

I decided to use the cover of the rain and clouds to sneak about and get the lay of the land. I spent hours outside the tent, scouting around and I found a creek that I felt would lead us where we needed to go. Alas my instincts guided us true! We had decided to travel east and the water flowed more-or-less in an easterly direction.

The high winds had subsided and we all started on our way following the creek-now-river. The water swelled at the banks and we followed it for days. Finally we crossed with Sahil’s magic and by working together. We finally came to a beautiful and serene part of the valley that was marked by several very large stone buildings. I’ve always preferred wood or brick, but no one can deny that a huge stone structure speaks of wealth and power.

We cautiously circled the buildings looking for tracks and signs of occupation or use. Our searches yielded nothing. Then we looked inside. The buildings were centuries old and had been abandoned for a very long time. In each one was a large statue. One statue of Torm and one statue of the Red Knight. Each of these different shrines, however, was completely desecrated with unholy writing, symbols, feces, and filth. While investigating the statues and the surrounding area we set off several warding glyphs. We also were attacked by a horde of undead skeletons, which we were able to defeat. We searched in a copse of trees near the shrines and found many shallow graves.

In the Shrine of Torm we discovered a clue to a hidden room, but we could not discern the answer to open it. We discovered a similar clue at the Shrine of the Red Knight but we correctly interpreted it and we found a secret stairway. Danjo and I were unable to descend, for some oddly vexing reason, but the rest went down. They said the found planning rooms that were probably over half a millenia old, or more. There was also ancient weapons and armor and a massive mural telling some stories of the Red Knight (or so they said).

Now, as they explore below and I wait here with the warrior Danjo, I keep wondering. What is so important about this location? What secrets are here? We certainly haven’t found anything of vital importance, or if we have, we have failed to recognize it. Surely if we spend enough time here we can learn the important secrets that the dwarf was hinting at, shortly before his murder. This could be the information we need to end the troubles, or at least get paid well.

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 18:52:37
As Chaka

Parting of the Paladins

Is this the end of our company? Can we survive?

25 AUG 2017

Chaka listens to the kivvil yammer on. Tymora gives and Shar takes. That’s the way it goes. Those paladins could damn well fight and take blows that would have killed Chaka. At the same time, it’s hard to not feel good about parting ways with paladins. They tend to be real bad news! These two were dumber than most, without a doubt.

The chaotic beasts, the extra-planar creatures that have been crossing their paths in these hills… they are plainly anomalies! What is bringing them here? Plainly some powerful magic. Is it mere summoning, or is a permanent portal being opened? It can’t be random. Someone, some…thing…has got to be behind it. Is it a mage being guided unwittingly by a demon lord? Is it some dark society doing the bloody work of an elder god? Is it mere the twisted plotting and machinations of Chaka’s untrustworthy kin? One this is obvious. It’s dangerous to make any assumptions! Another thing is obvious…this will bring pain to the stupid and unlucky, and can bring wealth and power to the clever! Ha!

I will stick near Sahil, and try to keep the two Wa rivvil nearby as well. They have not used up their usefulness. What is in the Valley of the Shrines? Are we in it now? Is the Valley part of the plans that are bringing forth these Outsiders. Chaka turns his mind to these problems, while the mewlings of the kivvil give his spirit a lift!

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 18:50:37
Parting of the Paladins

Is this the end of our company? Can we survive?

25 AUG 2017

Tuck has been silent, listening to Setibyr and Enalda announce their departure. Setibyr’s outburst of a few days ago seems to have been more than a passing fright. Well, it’s not surprising a pair of paladins don’t go changing their minds every time the wind billows the sails… At first Tuck felt insulted by Setibyr’s accusations, then he realized the man was learning what Tuck already knew: the world is a ****ing abattoir. It’s drenched in blood and don’t give a ****. It was a lesson Tuck learned as a prisoner of the ****-drenched drow.

Tuck can’t blame them. He’s all about survival himself, and comfort is a close second. Halflings survive by leaning on community, and working together. This company of adventurers, working for the church of Lucha, has only survived by working together, and has suffered when they failed to do so. Just like in the burning inn. “Don’t go outside” Tuck said. “It’s an ambush” Tuck said. “Lets hide our identities and sneak out” Tuck said. Did they listen? No. Did they almost die because of it? Yes. It’s teamwork that keeps us alive in this world.

Now two very tough, and powerful fighters are about to leave. Tuck was quite worried. His normal, Tymora-be-praised, and Torm-be-damned attitude was gone, as he contemplated what changes this would bring.
Strange things are roaming these hills. Other-worldly, extra-planar, damonic things were being brought here by some bizarre power. Probably for some heinous purpose. The more Tuck thought about it, the more it bothered him. This place is no longer safe, but we can’t sail away. The ships and sailors have all been turned back. Walking across the desert is a slow death, like being becalmed in the blazing sun, in the middle of the doldrums. It’s a slow, Shar-damned way to die.

The cities weren’t safe, and Tuck is pretty sure Assur is much worse, now, after time has passed. Food may have run out. There’s probably chaos in the streets. Those promised crints may not be enough to buy a night’s lodging and a bottle o’ wine.

So far we’ve been real lucky, and you don’t turn your back on that kind of luck. Tuck looked at Danjo and his sharp sword, and Shino with his sharp wit. These two are good companions. He looked at the youthful Sahil. This innocent child with great power is a treasure more valuable than platinum! Well…gold anyway! This newcomer, Malakai. Who knows? It’s too soon to trust him. Is he working for the drow? How did he find us? Just have a plan to kill him, and try to befriend him. Who knows, he may be useful when the next trouble comes ’round.

In the meantime, Tuck takes a look around. This is a big valley here. He wonders if this is the Valley of the Shrines… wouldn’t that be a hoot if they found the valley and just gave up. Whatever is in the Valley of the Shrines, if it can stop the drow and the barghest, it’s gotta be powerful. Did that dwarf know what he was talking about…?

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 18:47:30
As Chaka

Daemons of all forms

A test of our resolve

11 AUG 2017

We gathered our loot from the killer vines. There was a pleasant pile of platinum, and a goodly gathering of gold. Best of all…magic wands, scrolls, and potions! Now THAT’S what I have been waiting for! The REAL wealth. I hope I can get it from the others… maybe I will pick it from their corpses. Haha!

We started on our way, traveling up through the foothills toward the mountains. One day as we broke camp and prepared to set out I spotted a bird bigger than my mule. It seemed to be watching us as it flew hundreds of feet in the air. Suddenly a twin to the first bird appeared. Hmmm… summoned? Too far off to tell. The twin birds circled us. I conjured an illusory ballista and aimed it at them. OOPS! Here they came!. The teleported to the ground nearby and started a bizarre arcane dance. Their dance ended with a loud boom and a wave of force that emanated from them so powerfully that it killed my mule, the Shar-damned beast! Now I have to carry my own shit! I hope it suffered…

Then the birds created mirror image duplicates of themselves, which I immediately recognized. Setibyr and Enalda attacked with melee weapons, while Danjo and I used our bows and Shino used up charges from a brand –new staff of Fire! We whittled away at the mirror images while the siblings battled toe-t-toe with the daemon birds! Oh, how I am thankful for their strong backs and weak minds!! Predictably, one of the birds cut Enalda’s throat. Sahil could do little against the injury. Then both Setibyr and Enalda were enveloped by a cloud of spores. I’ve seen mushrooms in the underdark do something similar, but the spores took root in the flesh of the twins and began to grow grotesque, twisting, choking vines. Shino’s fire spells seemed to help, somewhat. The daemon birds were getting wounded and suddenly one of the birds took Setibyr’s hammer and they teleported away. We did what we could to remove the vines growing from the whiney bitches. Eventually they stopped growing and we were able to cut them off, but grotesque stubs of them remain, like barnacles on a ship’s hull. Poor babies!

We traveled on, and suddenly we were attacked by what I first thought was quick-sand, or some sort of sand monster! However, with blinding speed the sand creature dissolved Danjo’s mule, then Shino, then Danjo! By the Umberley’s throbbing twat, that was close! I was reminded of the large slimes in the underdark. I’ve seen a whole chained up crew of slaves devoured by one huge slime. I laughed at the horrible screams, for the slaves did not belong to my house. I remember the svirfneblin slaver lashing his other slaves for losing him so much money.

Setibyr, Enalda, Sahil and I just ran. We ran and ran. Somehow, by some strange trick of fate, Danjo and Shino reformed from the dissolved blobs they had become! Shino was unconscious and Danjo tried to carry him away. He was going slowly so I cast my spell for running fast on myself and on Danjo and we ran. I also blasted the attacking monster with our newly acquired Staff of Light. We kept running, but it would not stop and eventually I had to blast it repeatedly with the staff of light to destroy it. Thanks to Tymora! Her coin landed face-up for us, when we found that magical treasure! At least I have these talking ‘mules’ around me to carry ‘my’ treasure for me! I continue to protect Sahil most of all.

Still, we continued on, and we came upon some grig sprites! At first I thought to communicate with them and try to get information from them. Then one of the shits obliterated my water skin! It also gave over some bits of mushroom which aided the healing of Enalda’s neck, it seemed. If I get the chance, I will kill them all, I don’t care if they did help Enalda.

We met a talking tree. Thank Shar it didn’t kill us, or maybe Tymora...

We walked a ways past the talking tree man, and Setibyr marched in silence. Suddenly he stopped and rounded on the party. He bitched us out for leaving him and his sister to fight the daemon birds alone, and the more he talked the more I realized, he was scared shitless. He is young and ignorant. He said he wants to return to Assur, give them our information, get paid, and end our job. I like the idea of getting paid too. I’m not convinced that it will ever happen. I recall the church of Lucha offered to pay us in crints. The last pox-brained lout who paid us in crint was a drow who later tried to kill us, and the crints were fake anyway. Maybe this whole, messed up situation is some sort of elaborate drow plot, and we’re just pawns anyway! ****! If that is the case, I got get the hell out of here. I’m not ready to fall into the hands of my cruel kin. Not until it’s a trap of my own making. I just have to be careful and make sure I have an escape plan ready…

So far we have only managed to survive by working together. I think splitting up will be a mistake. If cry-baby Setibyr really wants to leave, I will play upon his ego and see if that keeps him close. I’d hate to have to fight to protect myself from more daemons and mantimeras and giants! Oh my!

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 18:45:24
Daemons of all forms

A test of our resolve

11 AUG 2017

We gathered our loot from the killer vines. There was a pleasant pile of platinum, and a goodly gathering of gold. Best of all…magic wands, scrolls, and potions! Now THAT’S what I have been waiting for! The REAL wealth I see adventurer’s laden with!

We started on our way, traveling up through the foothills toward the mountains. One day as we broke camp and prepared to set out I spotted a bird bigger than my mule. It seemed to be watching us as it flew hundreds of feet in the air. Suddenly a twin to the first bird appeared. Hmmm… summoned? Too far off to tell. The birds circled us. I conjured an illusory ballista and aimed it at them. OOPS! Here they came! They teleported to the ground nearby and started a bizarre, arcane dance. Their dance ended with a loud boom and a wave of force that emanated from them so powerfully that it killed my poor mule, Jando!! Poor Jando!!

Then the birds created mirror image duplicates of themselves, which I immediately recognized. Setibyr and Enalda attacked with melee weapons, while Danjo and I used our bows and Shino used up charges from a brand –new staff of Fire! We whittled away at the mirror images while the siblings battled toe-t-toe with the daemon birds! Oh, how I admire their strength, and skill at arms!! Horribly, one of the birds cut Enalda’s throat! Sahil could do little against the injury! Then both Setibyr and Enalda were enveloped by a cloud of spores. I’ve seen mushrooms in the underdark do something similar, but the spores took root in the flesh of the twins and began to grow grotesque, twisting, choking vines. Shino’s fire spells seemed to help, somewhat. The daemon birds were getting wounded and suddenly one of the birds took Setiby’r hammer and they teleported away. We did what we could to remove the vines growing from the armored warriors, Setibyr and Enalda, but the vines resisted all attempts to heal or remove them. Eventually they stopped growing and we were able to cut them off, but grotesque stubs of them remain, like barnacles on a ship’s hull. I can barely stand to look at them, and my heart breaks to see their beauty marred so!

We traveled on, and suddenly we were attacked by what I first thought was quick-sand, or some sort of sand monster! However, with blinding speed the sand creature dissolved Danjo’s mule, then Shino, then Danjo! By the Umberley’s throbbing twat, that was terrifying!! I was reminded of the large slimes in the underdark. I’ve seen a whole chained up crew of slaves devoured by one huge slime. My master laughed at the horrible screams, for the slaves did not belong to her! I saw and experienced other cruelty by my master and her cursed folk, and that was not the worst by far. Still, I was greatly pained to see my companions brought to such an inglorious end. Setibyr, Enalda, Sahil and I just ran. We ran and ran. Somehow, by some strange trick of fate, Danjo and Shino reformed from the dissolved blobs they had become! Shino was unconscious and Danjo tried to carry him away. He was going slowly so I cast my spell for running fast on myself and on Danjo and we ran. I also blasted the attacking monster with our newly acquired Staff of Light. We kept running, but it would not stop and eventually I had to blast it repeatedly with the staff of light to destroy it. Thanks to Tymora! Her coin landed face-up for us, when we found that magical treasure!

Still, we continued on, as we must do. We are small creatures in a big world, and we have no choice but to toil on… Speaking of small creatures, we came upon some grig sprites! They at first seemed delightful and playful, until one of them obliterated my water skin! It also gave over some bits of mushroom which aided the healing of Enalda’s neck, it seemed. I don’t trust the little bastards, though! The next time I saw one I got out my bow and it disappeared!

We met a talking tree. As you might expect, it had no interest in us.

We walked a ways past the talking tree man, and Setibyr marched in silence. Suddenly he stopped and rounded on the party. He bitched us out for leaving him and his sister to fight the daemon birds alone, and the more he talked the more I realized, he was scared shitless. I can’t blame him. He is young and like I once was, ignorant of the horrors of the wide world.
He came very close to losing his sister to the daemons and he saw two companions dissolved by a relentless beast from which we only barely escaped with our lives. He said he wants to return to Assur, give them our information, get paid, and end our job. I like the idea of getting paid too. I’m not convinced that it will ever happen. I recall the church of Lucha offered to pay us in crints. The last pox-brained lout who paid us in crint was a filthy drow who tried to kill us, and the crints were fake anyway. Maybe this whole, messed up situation is some sort of elaborate drow plot, and we’re just pawns anyway! ****!

So far we have only managed to survive by working together. I think splitting up will be a mistake.

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 18:42:44
As Chaka

Out of the Desert, into the Foothills

Beasts, giants, elves oh my!

Tags: #camel #elves #hill giants #mantimaera #Tuck

04 JUL 2017

We continue to travel east-ward toward the Curna Mountains. Travel in this desert would almost be tedious, were it not so deadly. This wasteland is the exact opposite of the tunnels in which I once lived. The confines of the underdark versus the wide-openness under the sky. Perpetual darkness exists down below, but it’s never dark here. Even in the middle of the night, here there are many stars, and Selune, and her tears. Yet, danger surrounds one in both places. Powerful beasts roam both, lack of water is a danger for those unfamiliar with the underdark, much like this hell. My main worry in this desert, is that the roaming bandits will find us. I hope I can appease the bandits by turning against my fellow travelers. Perhaps I can bargain my skills and Sahil’s gifts, to be saved from death by raping.

We noticed some creatures watching us from a great distance. We tried to close in on them and see what or what they were. They eluded us, except for what appeared to be an obvious trap. So obvious, that Danjo was sorely tempted to wander into it, just to see what manner of death it would bring him. At one point they anticipated our path of travel and left a message in dethek writ with chalk on the stony ground. Our extreme predictability has once more become a liability. I took evasive actions to hide our travels, and we changed directions for a few days, and I think we lost them. We have seen no sign of them these last 5 days or so.

We have lost two camels to great, hungry desert beasts. First we were set upon by a mantimaera. It was three-headed like a chimaera. It had a head of a man, a goat and a dragon, and it had the spike-throwing tail of a manticore. Certainly some wizard concocted this mad beast. Either way, the Shar-damned beast took off with a camel, a tent, and a barrel. Then a form of dragon, it had wings, but no fore-legs, flew down among us and made off with another camel. Now, I’m glad it was the camel and not me, but it’s damn annoying!

Finally we entered the foothills and started climbing in elevation. It got somewhat cooler, especially at night. However in the foothills, we have encountered more deadly foes.
Twice we almost stumbled into a band of hill giants and dire wolves. Thinking quickly we were able to hide and avoid detection. A hill giant is an ignoramus, but if he’s too hungry, it could get awfully dangerous. I think I could trick hill giants to avoid the stewpot, but I’d rather avoid them completely. Maybe I can use them for something… their are mighty in strength easily manipulated.

Finally we came upon some wild forest elves. At first we could not see them. They warned us off with a volley of arrows. Not knowing if we face elves, or the troublesome bandits, we retreated a distance. I think Danjo was ready to ride his war-camel into their lines in what he imagined would be a glorious death. No doubt it would have resulted in his death, but the glory he would gain would be dubious at best. Instead, I used some camouflaging tricks I picked up in by brief time in Luirwood, and was able to creep in behind the elves. I used an illusory Tuck on a mule to distract them. I made it back to the Sahil and the others and they wisely agreed we should not force a fight here. These savages are no doubt hanging on the edge of starvation and have no gold to interest me!

As we trekked through the forest, looking for the path to the Valley of the Shrines, we were suddenly attacked by enormous vines that were able to grapple all my companions! I danced quickly out of danger, but soon saw that Sahil was being pulled to his doom. I hate to see him die, but better him than me! Luckily that resourceful young man was able to change into a tree. Danjo, on the other hand, really surprised me by slaying the attacking plant-monster! Sahil was saved, and I immediately began to look for loot. The plant beast was forty feet across and it must have been centuries old. I knew that there would be treasure to be found, and find it we did! We got quite a haul in platinum, gold, silver and crints! We even found some magic items. Now this is more like it!

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 18:40:02
Out of the Desert, into the Foothills

Beasts, giants, elves oh my!

Tags: #camel #elves #hill giants #mantimaera #Tuck

04 JUL 2017

We continue to travel east-ward toward the Curna Mountains. Travel in this desert would almost be tedious, were it not so deadly. This wasteland is the exact opposite of the tunnels in where I once was enslaved, but it is in many ways the same. The confines of the underdark versus the wide-openness under the sky. Perpetual darkness exists down below, but it’s never dark here. Even in the middle of the night, here there are many stars, and Selune, and her tears. Yet, danger surrounds one in both places. Powerful beasts roam both, lack of water is a danger for those unfamiliar with the underdark, much like this hell. My main worry in this desert, is that the roaming bandits will find us. I know I have stalwart companions, and together we will survive!

We noticed some creatures watching us from a great distance. We tried to close in on them and see what or what they were. They eluded us, except for what appeared to be an obvious trap. At one point they anticipated our path of travel and left a message in dethek writ with chalk on the stony ground. Our extreme predictability has once more become a liability. We took evasive actions to hide our travels, and we changed directions for a few days, and I think we lost them. We have seen no sign of them these last 5 days or so.

We have lost two camels to great, hungry desert beasts. First we were set upon by a mantimaera. It was three-headed like a chimaera. It had a head of a man, a goat and a dragon, and it had the spike-throwing tail of a manticore. Certainly some wizard concocted this mad beast. Either way, the Yondalla-damned beast took off with a camel, a tent, and a barrel. Then a form of dragon, it had wings, but no fore-legs, flew down among us and made off with another camel. Now, I’m glad it was the camel and not one of us, but it’s damn annoying!

Finally we entered the foothills and started climbing in elevation. It got somewhat cooler, especially at night. However in the foothills, we have encountered more deadly foes.
Twice we almost stumbled into a band of hill giants and dire wolves. Thinking quickly we were able to hide and avoid detection. A hill giant is an ignoramus, but if he’s too hungry, it could get awfully dangerous. I think I could trick hill giants to avoid the stewpot, but I’d rather avoid them completely. Maybe they can be used against the elves we met. Have I mentioned the elves yet? I do love elves, but these were not that sort!

Finally we came upon some wild forest elves. At first we could not see them. They warned us off with a volley of arrows. Not knowing if we face elves, or the troublesome bandits, we retreated a distance. I used some camouflaging tricks I from my youth in Luirwood, and was able to creep in behind the elves. I used an illusory Tuck on a mule to distract them. I made it back to the my companions and they wisely agreed we should not force a fight here. We have no quarrel with them and no need to start bloodshed.

As we trekked through the forest, looking for the path to the Valley of the Shrines, we were suddenly attacked by enormous vines that were able to grapple all my companions! I tried in vain to cut the vines, but soon saw that my party was being pulled to their doom. Luckily that resourceful Sahil was able to change into a tree! I used my magic to light up the area and we saw how truly huge the creature was!! Then Danjo, with a very impressive display of martial prowess, saved everyone by slaying the attacking plant-monster! The plant beast was forty feet across and it must have been centuries old. I couldn’t imagine the number of poor souls who lost their lives to this insidious menace! Danjo mentioned that would should look for treasure, left behind by previous victims. We spent several bells searching around and we got quite a haul in platinum, gold, silver and crints! We even found some magic items. Now this is more like it!
cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 18:33:10
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

quote:
Does Tuck Arbuckle take offense if he is called "Fatty"?

The player that played Tuck/Chaka, was/is an absolutely amazing roleplayer! In roleplaying 'Tuck', no, he wouldn't take offense. He would play it up as the 'Hin' he really is... ;)

As his real self, Chaka, he would likely put your character's likeness/name down in a journal, find your character asleep, slit his throat, and use the blood to fuel a demonic summoning ritual. haha

Best regards,

Delnyn Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 12:09:09
Does Tuck Arbuckle take offense if he is called "Fatty"?
cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 07:10:11
Tuck Arbuckle's real personality, Chaka, making his real post about the Arrival in Lastarr

Arrival in Lastarr

[b]Burned Caravans, raped bodies[/bi]

Tags: #burned #Eye #Laster #raped

10 JUN 2017

We collected fat from the dead horses in this caravan. There was very little other wealth. We killed the bugbear prisoner, and obtained a very compliant hobgoblin prisoner, witt whom we were unable to speak. Curse me, but some damn slaves that could speak the goblin tongue would’ve been very useful.

We continued on our way to Laster, trying to stay alive and find information to take back to Assur. Those 900 crints will come in handy. I disguised myself as a goblin used my magic so I could understand anything the hobgoblin might say. He didn’t say anything useful, so I released him to see what way he would go. As I suspected he headed right for the Curna mountains. We tracked him down but he was dead from the heat by the time we caught him. We decided to take his head so a priest could talk to it in Laster.

About two days later we came across a slaughtered caravan. The wagons and many of the bodies were burned. They men of the caravan, there were no women, had clearly been raped. Nothing of value remained. Danjo wanted to bury the dead, by Tymora’s right tit! What a peach that rivvil is!

Later we saw a caravan burning brightly and 20 riders on horseback racing away. For a moment I was afraid that Danjo or Setibyr would race after them! Luckily they followed my lead in hiding and letting them pass. The wagons were blazing brightly when we got there. I suggested we try to douse the flame from a burning box to see what was being transported. Putting water on the crate was disastrous! It exploded and burned hotter. There was a thick, black liquid substance on the crate and other items. It seemed to be an alchemical catalyst of some sort. Oh, to have access to my family’s library once more, may the Mistress of the Night curse them! Setibyr was emotionally distraught by the damage he witnessed. I hope he is not fool enough to put MY life in danger in some sort of blood lust to avenge strangers! I must be careful in guiding his destructive instincts! He is powerful weapon, but he must be aimed true, lest I get hurt in the process.

We made it to Laster. Some riders and a wizard met us outside the city. The wizard was as proud as a drow, and for all I know he/she may have been one. No doubt what we were allowed to see was in illusion. They rat-****ed our shit, searching every last container, so it’s lucky I had nothing to hide. I asked the wizard’s name and he refused to tell me. He may be a formidable foe, but he may be a powerful ally, if I can bend him to my will. Rival or lackey, this is a city of thousands, so for now I will simply think on it. The easy pickings usually give the smallest of rewards.

The frightened masses in the city started to swarm us when they heard we made it from Assur. I did my best to placate them with morsels of information, finally I had to bewitch a few so we could simply get past their dirty grasping hands, and the stench of their sweaty bodies. We took the hobgoblin head to a temple of Lucha. We told them we were working for the Temple of Lucha in Assur and they couldn’t care less. They wanted to know what we know and that fool Danjo told them everything and got nothing in return. They would not cast the speaking dead spell on the head. We went to two more temples. Finally at the Temple of Waukeen, where we were treated properly, as they work hard to separate one from his gold, we started to bargain for the casting of the spell. They want 675 gold to cast the spell today! My ‘companions’ are a destitute lot and I am not spending my gold this. That is more than I stand to get paid for this entire job! I’ve dickered with the priest, trying to convince him that the knowledge is as valuable to them as it is to us. So far, he has come a bit in my direction, but he still yields.

We left the church and under the suggestion of the priest there, we obtained lodging at the Eye. This is a place worthy of mention! First I saw what is plainly a drow working openly. I saw some individuals in the city that appear to possibly be drow, but I was not able to talk to them. This one though, we spoke. He is drow, or a very good imposter. I’m intrigued that in this surface city any race seems accepted. We saw lizardmen, goblins, drow, bugbears, and a beholder, who seems to be the owner of the Eye.

The Eye is a spherical structure with a stage in the center where all many of strange creatures perform. It is illegal to kill goblins and other vile races in this city, which is why the drow are allowed to walk free. So back to the drow. My first instinct was to kill, but of course, I know nothing of his capabilities beyond the fact that I don’t wish to face the legal consequences. He said he’s been here for 22 years and he works in the Eye. I wonder if he is exiled from his family, or working as a spy for them. As usual, I don’t trust him, or anyone here.

Someone in this city is connected to those robbers and burners in the desert. It only stands to reason. Also, someone in the city must have seen that caravan that was just burned. Surely it would have either originated in Laster, bought or sold goods in Laster, or at least stopped for provisions there. Lastly, I don’t care how vigorous the laws are enforced in any city, there are people making money by breaking those laws. It would good, and maybe profitable, to get in touch with them.

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 07:08:09
Arrival in Laster

Burned Caravans, raped bodies

Tags: #burned #Eye #Laster #raped

10 JUN 2017

We collected fat from the dead horses in this caravan. There was very little other wealth. We killed the bugbear prisoner, and obtained a very compliant hobgoblin prisoner, with whom we were unable to speak.

We continued on our way to Laster, trying to stay alive and find information to take back to Assur. Those 900 crints will come in handy. I disguised myself as a goblin and used my magic so I could understand anything the hobgoblin might say. He didn’t say anything useful, so I released him to see what way he would go. As I suspected he headed right for the Curna mountains. We tracked him down but he was dead from the heat by the time we caught him. We decided to take his head so a priest could talk to it in Laster.

About two days later we came across a slaughtered caravan. The wagons and many of the bodies were burned. They men of the caravan, there were no women, had clearly been raped. Nothing of value remained. Danjo wanted to bury the dead. I sat nearby while he did what he felt he had to do.

Later we saw a caravan burning brightly and 20 riders on horseback racing away. For a moment I was afraid that Danjo or Setibyr would race after them! Luckily they followed my lead in hiding and letting them pass. The wagons were blazing brightly when we got there. I suggested we try to douse the flame from a burning box to see what was being transported. Putting water on the crate was disastrous! It exploded and burned hotter. There was a thick, black liquid substance on the crate and other items. It would be helpful if we could learn what this liquid is, and where it comes from. Clues! This is the sort of information that will get us paid in Assur. Of course, if the city falls, it’s not worth the risk to go back there for the crints.

We made it to Laster. Some riders and a wizard met us outside the city. The wizard was as proud as a cock on a fence post. No doubt what we were allowed to see was in illusion. They searched every last container, so it’s lucky I had nothing to hide. I asked the wizard’s name and he refused to tell me. The laws seem strict in Laster. This is a city of thousands, so for now I will simply think on how I can get rich here. The easy pickings usually give the smallest of rewards.

The frightened masses in the city started to swarm us when they heard we made it from Assur. I did my best to placate them with morsels of information, finally I had to bewitch a few so we could simply get past their dirty grasping hands. We took the hobgoblin head to a temple of Lucha. We told them we were working for the Temple of Lucha in Assur and they couldn’t care less. They wanted to know what we know and Danjo told them everything and got nothing in return. They would not cast the speaking dead spell on the head. We went to two more temples. Finally at the Temple of Waukeen, where we were treated properly, as they work hard to separate one from his gold, we started to bargain for the casting of the spell. They want 675 gold to cast the spell today! My companions are a destitute lot and I am not spending my gold this. That is more than I stand to get paid for this entire job! I’ve dickered with the priest, trying to convince him that the knowledge is as valuable to them as it is to us. So far, he has come a bit in my direction, but he still yields.

We left the church and under the suggestion of the priest there, we obtained lodging at the Eye. This is a place worthy of mention! We saw lizardmen, goblins, drow, bugbears, and a beholder, who seems to be the owner of the Eye. The Eye is a spherical structure with a stage in the center where all many of strange creatures perform. It is illegal to kill goblins and other vile races in this city, which is why the drow are allowed to walk free. So back to the drow. My first instinct was to kill, but of course, I know nothing of his capabilities beyond the fact that I don’t wish to face the legal consequences. He said he’s been here for 22 years and he works in the Eye. I wonder if he is exiled from his family, or working as a spy for them. Those drow have schemes inside of schemes, and I saw them turn on each other in a blink of an eye. I hope no one recognizes me as an escaped slave. I will bribe or kill any who try to capture me, damn the laws!

Someone in this city is connected to those robbers and burners in the desert. It only stands to reason. Also, someone in the city must have seen that caravan that was just burned. Surely it would have either originated in Laster, bought or sold goods in Laster, or at least stopped for provisions there. Lastly, I don’t care how vigorous the laws are enforced in any city, there are people making money by breaking those laws. It would good, and maybe profitable, to get in touch with them.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000